Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
This game does the frustrating thing that also happens in Path of Exile where there's often so many PC effects on the ground you can't see the enemies or their attacks

5 cluster grenade Rail paints the entire ground in dark black circles that suddenly change position when the projectiles hit walls

It also does the mistake of making enemy effects look pretty based on the art instead of high contrast colors - this happens often in God trials where the effects match the god color and blend in with the ground

Like it's slick as hell presentation to see everything exploding in lighting and arrows every 0.2s, it's immensely unfriendly to the player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

blizzardvizard posted:

Athena's Call is nuts :stare: Upgraded it to level 4 before the final boss and I just facetanked everything. That fist upgrade that does more damage on consecutive attacks + 20 seconds of immunity = a very, very fast patricide

I feel like I wanna be going for these Impervious calls on melee weapons every time but at the same time that feels like a crutch

Yeah Calls rule in general and if you can get a higher rarity on them they're out of control - the Demeter boon that upgrades rarity every few encounters landing on a Call is out of control

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Aurubin posted:

I imagine this has been asked a billion times but I'm still a little puzzled at the choice to turn Asphodel into a fire and brimstone hell. I get the ingame explanation. Did they feel they couldn't square the circle of going from Asphodel to Elysium? Too hard to differentiate?

Grey Green > Grey > Green isn't a diverse color palette so Red makes the transition pop way more

They also comment how it's not supposed to be on fire and they need to finish renovating to put it out

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Man, Bull and Theseus. 3 tries now, best I've done is 1 down and bull to 20%. Progress. Kinda hard to avoid damage on that one w/ the huge AOEs.

Trick to bull is to always be dashing way behind him and only strike after his 3rd hit

2nd trick is bull projectiles in 2nd phase home in on you (and bounce off walls) and if you're always behind, you'll be safe

Theseus you can either lure bull to and spam AoEs to tag both (risky) or lure bull to outside of arena and use pillars for cover (safer, slower)

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

Turns out there is a way to win with a level 1 Guan Yu after all, and that’s being able to turn invincible long enough to charge the spin which then Charms dad.

Level 1 Guan Yu works best when stacking Weak, Sturdy, and other sources of damage reduction - you can also buff the damage a fair bit from the Thanatos keepsake early on. If you get to about 80-100 health by the end of the run (around 265-325 HP normally) you can tank a couple hits from the bosses and then spin attack your way to heal back up. Acorn helps tremendously. You'll probably want Athena for the extra Death Defiance charges.

Getting dash attack buffs also helps tremendously - the 3x dash attack hammer turns it into an apocalyptic room clearer.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

12 clears please just give me guan yu Achilles :negative:

Did you put blood in 5 different weapons to unlock non-Zagreus aspects

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

My only real grievance with the same is the disparity with weapons, mostly in the form of their specials. Boons give a nice bonus to attack, sure, but they give a massive boost to their special stat... which makes the rail and bow extremely strong and the spear and shield kinda suck.

Shield, Sword, and Spear get really bonkers attack upgrades from the hammers usually on the level of triple damage throughput so it tends to cancel out versus the nuclear rail bombs or the bow close range / explosive arrows / stacking damage on special

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

You can get the Aspect of Eris self buff fine when you have the self damaging bombs by being in the AoE and dashing with iframes up when the bomb hits

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Bow benefits big from dash attack builds and so Chaos boons really buff it

Bow and rail are both real dependent on what hammer upgrades you pick since whatever you spec into gets like a 300% multiplicative boost from all the multishots or what have you

They're both real flexible about speccing into either straight percentile damage or stacking damage over time

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Artemis mark is pretty weak. It disappears after one crit, and you can only apply it to enemies near the one you originally crit so it's totally useless against single targets (aka bosses).
Plus, the fact that the mark only applies on enemies you're not currently hitting means you won't really get more than 1 extra crit from it unless you leave stuff half-alive to go switch targets, or you have lots of AOE.

She has almost nothing that else that boosts crit chance other than one global 3-5% crit chance boon and the two duo boons with Athena and Dionysus.
The bosses that matter have a ton of adds or two bosses; mark has a huge amount of up time and if you have a big AoE you cycle marks between the two targets

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hm, in that case are there any aspects that are considered hands-down great even at low levels?

All the aspects are real solid even at the first rank and will carry you to victory - it's just that upgrading them gives such a power boost it's like cheating

Use your blood to unlock them all and see which one feels best, then you can use blood from full clears to amp up that aspect

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

zoux posted:

Should you max out Zag on all aspects first? I'm looking at shield and Zag doesn't seem that great, but the other aspects take a lot of blood to be worth a poo poo, right?

Don't start pumping Zag aspects until you unlock all the hidden aspects available to you - the other aspects play differently enough one of them might click with you real good, and they're still real effective at rank 1.

The hidden aspects are still real busted good at rank 1 too, they just take more work

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

how the hell did meg turn out so normal, both her sisters are loving off the deep end

If Alecto or Tis actually took a break from work in the Lounge they'd be less stressed

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Mox Hombre posted:

Man, dash nova is awesome (that's the stygian blade daedalus upgrade that makes you lunge ahead for the special). I got the hermes boon that gives you the fast special (+40%) and had the zag sword aspect, and you can just zap around the room almost instantly just using the special while annihilating people.

Speaking of the blade, what's the best boon if you just want to max out attack damage? I like going with a backstab build where you max out the backstab damage and pick the aspect of nemesis to dish out a bunch of damage in one hit. I just haven't decided what the best attack boon for that is ... artemis?

Artemis gets the biggest numbers most of the time once you boost critical hit rate; Aphrodite is the biggest percentile boost on the face of it

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Wilekat posted:

The purple attack chaos boon alone upsets me. Every time I stumble into a build that makes me go "huh, this is feeling like an Attack build sort of run", Chaos gives me nothing but cast crystals and resource boosts, which leads me to pulling this face :saddowns: for the entire run.

:saddowns:

Cast crystals own, they're 100% more cast by volume

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

TravelLog posted:

Is this true? I know the basic sword combo with absolutely no modifiers deals 75 damage (20 + 25 + 30), which is the same for the 5-hit combo for Fists (15 each hit) but I've never actually timed them or done the testing to determine how the DPS compares when you also figure in their openers (e.g. Dash-Upper for Fists).

Sword gets hammer options that are enormous multiplicative damage boosts (200% backstab damage, Flurry Slash, Colossus Chop) which gets it spiking higher than the fists if you can stay in the sweet spot

Fist hammers tend to increase AoE coverage and general utility - far fists are a really nice QOL

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Burginator posted:

For sure, I feel like I've traded away like 20 ambrosia and I'm still desperately hunting for more Titan's Bloods, but I've had the ambrosia to use immediately with everyone when I got their bonds high enough and still have a surplus (I'm not really upgrading the Cthonic Companions because I generally forget to use them more than once or twice anyway)

Yeah there's only like 100 ambrosia tops you need while like 300 blood to max your weapons

https://hades.gamepedia.com/Titan_Blood

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Where are the iframes in the dash

I can't figure out when to dash to juke Hades's circle sweep attack

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

crestfallen posted:

If you have it, the spear point is your friend in Styx.

100% this

While it's tempting to bring the Pom Blossom up for about 8 poms over the course of the full chambers, running spear point is going to save you like 200 HP from poison or final boss ticks

Acorn's also real good since it's like 250 HP saved on the boss, it just doesn't help in the chambers

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

What is the deal with EM4 final boss's self heal - can it be interrupted

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Unlocking more aspects is more important than leveling the weapon aspects because the rank 1 weapons can consistently beat the game up to about 6 heat

Rank 3 weapons are good enough to do Extreme Measures 4 and feel good

By the time you're at high enough Extreme Measures to need the damage bumps from higher rank weapons, you'll have enough blood from prophecies and the Pact you can level whatever you like

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

fool of sound posted:

It took me almost 100 clears to unlock all the aspects and that with quite a bit of brokering. That's a big ask.

Yeah some of the Secret aspects are really stubborn on coming out - they're not necessary to beat the game and start advancing up the heat levels though

Being able to choose from Achilles spear or Hades spear is a gamechanger compared to Zag spear

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

I feel pretty comfortable with all the weapons (rail is by far my favorite) except the spear. I just really really struggle with the spear. I've cleared with it, but it's consistently a situation where I'll have like... 12hp and 0 death defiances left.

Try the Achilles spear with Stygian Soul and slam out 125% damage casts

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Pity it only ever appears as the very last boon in Styx :(

Free 400 obols from a purge fountain in that case

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

I am baby who has yet to beat his own dad even once at run 25. Do I have a way to get more titan blood other than lucky deals at the Sketchy Emporium now that I've beaten all the furies with the unlocked weapons, or do I really need to push through and punch my father first?

There's a shop just before punching your dad that sells a blood for 1200 obols 50% of the time (the other 50% it's a diamond for 1000)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Is there a secret to EM4 Hades third phase when doing the fists

The constant teleports really cut down on DPS uptime