Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Qmass posted:

Why are the Pantheon so keen to help you ?

they’re bored and helping Zagreus makes Hades miserable, which is always a hoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brightman posted:

Since seeing the health pickups at the store I've been jokingly saying that it's modern day on the surface. You're getting a gyro wrapped in foil with fries in a red cardboard container from Charon ffs. I hadn't even considered the winter angle.

A bit of contrary evidence for this are the entries about the rail, cheekily saying how it a real good thing humanity hasn't figured out how to make an equivalent (guns), but Achilles wouldn't know if they had. I think Ares says something about that too maybe, but I could be mistaken. That and there boons are all "pre-recorded" messages, maybe they've been sitting around forever or something.

also if this were the case one would think you'd get a few more "killed by gunshot/starvation/all-consuming atomic inferno" popups in the foyer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was not a fan of the bow in Bastion and it seems to follow the same principles in Hades

my brain is too overtaxed during a melee to deal with this timed-hits nonsense

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
after banging my head against the final boss for like five consecutive runs, i got my first win on run 14 and then another at 1 heat the run after

the first one was with the hera bow, which was kind of cheating, but the next one with the poseidon blade killed everything even faster. one particular combo was poseidon's special-attack modifier + water blast on wall bounce + the legendary boon that knocks back enemies twice for each hit. i was clearing satyr chambers in five seconds apiece

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so it turns out that chaos shield + the zeus boon that makes lightning strike on special attacks + LIGHTNING BOONS 4-EVER makes pretty much everything die very fast

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my recommendation is to go after hermes as often as possible, solely so you can get the boon that adds additional dashes

even one extra dash will give you a tremendous amount of extra breathing room

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i put reload on LB and codex on L3 and haven't had any issues

cleared all weapons at 1 heat yesterday and starting to think i should put this game in the cooler so that i don't totally exhaust it before early access is done

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
prolonged exposure to RNG may result in superstitious behavior, delusions, and a vehement hatred of dice

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gort posted:

Hm, I just unlocked weapon aspects for the first time. What's the best way to spend my initial few resources?

I haven't beat the end boss (or what I assume is the end boss) yet.

if you've maxed out your bloodstone ammo then the Hera Bow is the most broken weapon by far. being able to load and fire your ammo (with the Power Shot boost, natch) sets up insane synergies with many of the Cast-related Boons, especially if Artemis is involved

the Chaos Shield also cleans house if you have some decent Special-boosting Boons (i got one from Zeus that made lightning strike on impact and was clearing rooms in seconds all the way up to Elysium)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wahad posted:

Since my first clear, I've gone and cleared Hades with every weapon except Varatha. With the spear, I just keep dying to dear ol' dad.

Any tips for what builds work with this and/or general playing strategy? I don't have any of the Ambrosia unlockables yet fwiw.

spec achilles spear and pump up the special attack whenever possible. it's still not great and you'll probably need to get lucky with some decent cast combos or calls to make up for lost damage potential, but the spear's throw is far and away its best quality

speaking of calls, dionysius' is deceptively, frighteningly potent if you get a rare or epic variant. 25 damage/sec doesn't sound like much until you realize his call near-instantly drops a 5x stack on everyone around you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kaschei posted:

How does Artemis double cast boon interact with Hera bow?

splendidly!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I guess that explains why sometimes I take like 50 damage from in 0.5 seconds :saddowns:

this can also happen if you make the grievous error of standing within five feet of a shield-bearer for more than half a second

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So I guess it makes sense considering he's the GOD OF WAR but Ares' wrath seems absurdly, ridiculously lethal compared to other gods. He literally flooded the screen with constantly moving, pulsing damage spheres that had barely any room between them. It was the first thing in this game that felt really cheap and like I had basically no chance of surviving.

those damage fields track with enemy movement, so if you get a lot of little zippy enemies then yeah, you're in for a bad time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i had the hestia rail upgraded to do 100 damage after a manual reload, plus a chaos boon that gave me a 35% increase to my regular attack, plus artemis' regular attack+crit boon and the one that ups your crit damage

i was doing 750 damage a shot

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i was running thanatos every time for a while, because most roguelites condition you to never take hits anyway so i might as well be rewarded for it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
chaos shield + the zeus boon that makes lightning strike on special attack is an insta-win combo, i know that much

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Well now I'm annoyed, that would have been the difference between victory and defeat with Achilles' spear yesterday. Right down to the wire on phase 2 :mad:

charm lasts for maybe half a second on boss enemies so you really need that very specific combination of boons to get any use out of it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

doing the "kaiba gets hit with exodia" pose at all this content

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

So I'm super bad at this game, I've made it to the final boss 3 times now, can't beat them. Any suggestions? I feel the vast majority of my play style is dash attacking, very little casting.

The answer is git gud, right?

a single additional dash from hermes is enough to trivialize the final boss, but in any case you're going to get your butt kicked a lot in early runs (especially with this latest patch)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
regarding the one poster who said the dash seemed to be retooled, i just did my first post-patch run and didn't notice anything different - and this was with the sword, which requires me to dash approximately four times a second

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I see that on the Underworld map that there are rewards listed to the weapons for each stratum. Are those rewards that I can get, or something? What do they mean?

they're referring to the items that the bosses drop on defeat. it'll make more sense when you beat the game for the first time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Okay I'm sorry, but Hades is some loving bullshit. He hits like a truck and throws out all sorts of unavoidable crap that either hits like a truck or makes stuff hit like ten trucks. I'm starting to really hate this game.

nothing of hades' is unavoidable, but he's very aggressive and his spin attack in particular is extremely punishing. the spin is juuuuust wide enough to hit you even if you dash away from him at melee range, so if you get an extra dash from one of hermes' boons then he's practically trivialized

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it was very kind of supergiant to have the time limit contract just damage you continuously if you let it run out, rather than instantly ending your run. i beat achilles maybe 20 seconds over par

still got killed by hades after, but what can you do. trying to get skelly's 2nd statue is a really big pain in the rear end!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
reiterating that elysium is a drat nightmare with the time limit on

everything in that place just has too much health, even with my most potent boon combos they won't die

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finally cleared Heat 16 by just using the Chaos Aegis and stacking as many of Artemis' crit boons as i could. an artless way to win maybe, but it worked, especially when i got Ares' duo cast boon for damage dealing

i don't think i'm going to brave heat 32

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PotatoManJack posted:

Just got this games yesterday, and really enjoying it so far (played about 5 runs all up). I'm still kinda learning how things work and haphazardly throwing upgrades together. I've only managed to kill Meg on my latest run, but am happily making further progress each run which is a nice feeling. Spear seems to be my favorite weapon so far, and had a neat run going where Zeus Chain-Lightning + Artemis arrows on hit meant that I had tons of little AoE damage bits flying around.

As for upgrades, is there anything I should be focusing on first in terms of the mirror / renovations? Also, is it worth saving up keys for the gun looking thing or is it better to use them on mirror upgrades?

the early mirror upgrades like upgrading your dashes and cast ammo are a must-have, but go for the weapons after that, because looping through heat levels with each weapon is how you gain upgrade materials

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hades has the common roguelike problem where the final boss necessitates some advance planning of your entire loadout if you don't want to get your poo poo pushed in

still not as bad as some other endbosses, though. looking hard at you, dead cells

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

If I haven't cleared the final boss at 0 heat and then I clear it at 1 heat do I get double bounties for the last boss? WIll it even let me go into 1 heat if I haven't? I need so many diamonds rn

if your heat level equal to or higher than the prize threshold, you will be rewarded the prizes for that threshold and no others

for example, i just cleared a 16-heat run when my prize threshold was 4 heat. i got the 4 heat prizes, and the threshold was then set to 5 heat

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

Gonna invoke the thread curse and complain about how I, in all the runs I've had with the shield, have never once seen the charged throw upgrade hammer, and it's the last one I need. I've run it about 10+ times at this point.

that's the only one i'm missing too, for what it's worth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

The question then is, where is she?

cyprus

who'd have guessed?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
artemis is going to get nerfed into the center of the earth and i will hold a day of mourning when that happens

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
same, the animated ones look cheap

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
speaking of sleeping, this imo was the first update to really sell just how abusive hades' relationship with zagreus really was

he came off as more of a catty dick in everything before, but during that flashback he just kept grinding at the kid

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I got two duo boons in a single run yesterday

Did the patch notes mention any of what you’re saying?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Moose posted:

I mean they added a whole talent to incentivise picking up as many different boons as possible. that wouldn't have been very good pre-patch

so no, then

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kaschei posted:

The number of blue (keys, gems, shadows, nectar) and gold (boons, trials of the gods, obols, hearts, pomegranates, hammers) doors in each biome is fixed except for the new mirror talent. Shops can appear as either color (and can’t be rerolled).

What’s happened is someone got a lot of pomegranates and obols (or took chaos rooms) and mistook a few runs’ luck as a code change.

one more luckless soul who's mistaken the rng as the chattering of a malicious idiot god

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I've been referencing [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/HadesTheGame/comments/elcc3w/been_working_on_a_duolegendary_map/]this chart of boons and their duo/legendary requirements. Is there one out there that includes Demeter?

the hades wiki has everything listed iirc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just picked this up because it was on sale. I usually hate games like this because I'm terrible at them.

So far made it to the Styx level. Spear and fists kick rear end.

Also is it bad that I never use Cast?

cast is of negligible use until you upgrade it to give yourself 3 shots and deal increased damage to enemies struck by it, at which point it becomes essential

it also has absolutely bonkers synergies with numerous boons, especially if you use the artemis bow

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
me: i know they're going to update charon at some point but his placeholder look is actually appropriate for him
new charon: hhhhh
me: gently caress that's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dionysus' call absolutely shreds everything it touches if you get a lucky roll or build an unlucky one to a reasonable level