Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Glare Seethe posted:

Think I'm mostly going to stay out of this thread until I beat the game at least once cause I haven't even met all the characters yet, but just wanted to say the game's super good and polished and addictive. I am not very good and in ten hours the furthest I've made it is chamber 37, but that's okay. The only thing it's missing for me is an in-game list of boons because there are so goddamn many I can't remember who offers what and sometimes you need to make a choice. Maybe I should count remembering those as getting better at the game.

One of the contractor upgrades is a list of in-game achievables with rewards. That at least will give you a list of names of boons of the various gods, and mark any ones you haven't taken yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone had any luck with Zeus? His boons seem pretty bad across the board, as they seem to focus on Aoe damage, but most weapons have some sort of better solution for that through their Daedalus upgrades.

Zeus's upgrades are adders to a hit. Attacks with a single strong hit benefit less from them than attacks with multiple weak hits. Flurry spear is good with Zeus attack, spin spear is bad. He's great in a duo because he just spits out more lightning and you've probably buffed that already.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tellaris posted:

Zeus gets bonkers good on things that hit fast with low damage since he adds flat damage. His bolts on strong attack make the bow spread go from 10 damage per arrow to 60 damage per arrow, which melts stuff real good. If you get his legendary boon, all bolt attacks add an additional explosion which gets real goofy real fast. The rifle with all the zeus upgrades will literally kill everything short of a boss before it can walk to you. Its nuts.

Stickman posted:

My biggest disappointment was finding out that the Zeus aspect shield's blitz disc doesn't proc homing arrows :(

It does, however, proc Zeus specials. And you can just keep knocking people back into it as it flies! Got a nice clear off of that one.

Stickman posted:

Thanks! Keys were the main one I keep forgetting, because I keep forgetting about Fated Authority in general. The few times I've tried it, it seems like it's restricted to swapping to doors of the same type (i.e. resources to resources, boons to boons)?

Yeah. Blue doors to blue doors (resources), gold doors to gold doors (in-run boons, cash, health, poms). Gold doors can even swap to a trial of the gods!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaschei posted:

Is there a “best” use for your first few diamonds?

You should probably spend one to free Orpheus. But of the 3-diamond purchases, probably the best one is the darkness booster, especially if you're struggling to clear the game once and getting darkness pickups as boss drops.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaschei posted:

1. Does the smoke from the vents in Asphodel do anything but obscure your vision? I don't really want to try standing around in it during runs to check. I've heard Zagreus cough but I don't know if it's taking health or just an annoyance.

2. Sometimes in Asphodel it seems like bombs are launched from the lava for no discernible reason, am I tripping a trap or does Asphodel just hate me that much? Is it due to the skeleton chilling in the lava some places?

3. If I swap away from a particular spell (or boon in general) will it ever be offered to me again in the same run?

4. Why am I constantly trying to "catch" the bottle the green bottle flinger drops on death? I will literally dash in and try to "interact" with the flipping bottle, especially if it's the last enemy on screen when it dies. Only for green bottle, not the others.

1) Just slowly obscures your vision the more you stand in it. The risk is you won't see something else coming.

2) As far as I can tell it's not related to any trap tile, it just happens when you've been around an Asphodel room long enough.

3) I think it's possible, but swaps are only rarely offered in the first place, so getting the precise god and precise swap is extremely unlikely.

4) Video game instinct that green things are good? I mean, you can deflect the bombs if you catch them in the air so they're not totally useless...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaschei posted:

I died on my first time leaving Elysium (chaos shield: easy mode?) reading Hades poo poo talking Dionysus at 10% health when I used my Call and my first thought was "he's going to be so loving smug about this."

Sadly(?) he was absent.

It's kind of a thing that Dad and Boy should not be seen to be fighting. We don't know exactly why it's happening, but Dad absolutely keeps it out of the records when he wins.

If you die to anything else or clear the game he'll be right back there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hera + aphrodite cast + dionysus special + aphrodite/dionysus Low Tolerance was some fun. Remote shotgun, then rake them with the special for 8 stacks of poison.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 20, 2019

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

I had a run yesterday with the Zeus/Artemis duo that makes dropped cast shards into AoE lightning storms, as well as bonus lightning hits and fun stuff like that. Nearly died in the arena because three were just sitting next to Theseus triggering his second phase earlier than I was prepared for.

Yeah, that's the downside to having a build go crazy with passive damage, it's almost certainly going to send Theseus crying to Olympus before you're ready.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gandlethorpe posted:

A lot of Dionysus' boons are pretty situational, but I do find poison to be an easy curse to keep applied for the +50% damage. Weak is the other easy one, which is why they make such a good pair. <insert wine pairing joke>

The other gods require either more investment to get access to their curse (Zeus, Athena, Poseidon) or the curse itself isn't meant to stay constantly applied (Ares, Artemis)

I'd argue that Artemis doesn't matter much in that regard because Marked pops off when a crit lands, which is where you want your bonus damage anyway.

Unless you're spamming blade rifts or blitz disks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly is the difference between Hell mode and a normal run anyways? I started with Hell mode and I'm not exactly sure what's different.

Locks in a 5-heat pact at minimum, including a unique condition that removes your mercy invincibility on grievous damage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yeah, learn what number the boss chamber usually is and don't hit the shop just before it without a reasonable amount of coin. There'll usually be an alternative to it and there's no fight, just an empty shop with it lying there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fenn the Fool! posted:

So, uh, Hunting Blades is the best Boon in the game? It's a pain in the rear end to get, but I dont know how you lose once you have constant, free, fire-and-forget damage like that.

You go mad with power and black metal and can't see enemy tells clearly inside the rifts, is how.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Getting everything all at once is probably too much, but I'd definitely appreciate being able to jump up 2 or 3 heat at a time. Crawling up to 10 heat on each weapon, 1 heat at a time, has been a tad slow.

But you can add as much heat as you want at any time? It doesn't skip to whatever you just beat it at, the cap goes up by 1.

You're not going to crank it up to 20 and get 20 titan bloods from beating Tartarus, but you will get 20 run clears' worth of rewards before you have to turn the heat up again, if you play the game long enough.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Eraflure posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Poseidon's popularity will skyrocket. He was already good and a Poseidon build completely annihilates Styx, which is a lot more dangerous than before.

A major contributor to my recent Poseidon clear was Tidal Dash + Breaking Wave + Greatest Reflex, letting me fling huge numbers of dudes into corners and get like ten chain water bursts on them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaschei posted:

How do you get Skelly to offer a fine statue/useless trinket? Do you have to ply him with nectar? do his favor? win at exactly 6 heat or something? I've managed to win at 10 heat in Hell mode and I could really use the diamonds you get for the prophecy.

Examine the weird drapery objects that showed up by the Pact door. Then you'll find out what you have to do.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Running through the pact conditions and hit the timer. Somehow managed two duos on Festive Fog to clear through Styx with the necessary quickness. Ice Wine is instant-cast, too, and has a pretty great line from Dionysus to introduce the duo.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pollyanna posted:

What's the best hammer mod for the Eris aspect? I feel like there's something I'm missing w/r/t being in the blast radius for the special. Should I use the one that lets you use the special more, or something else?

There's one particular hammer mod that's very helpful in that regard, which slows things in your special radius as soon as you fire. Some other helpful mods: if you shoot rockets you can detonate them instantly right next to you, which is much less standing around waiting for buffs; if you get cluster fire on your special, you can probably find one fairly unoccupied blast radius to wait in.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Wafflecopper posted:

just keep talking to them when you see them in the hub and give them ambrosia once you get the option

The option will be pretty clear, for reference. You'll get a whole new heart track showing up on screen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Drewjitsu posted:

Had a fun run trying to get the demeter+posidedon duo boon, (which slaps btw), but the real MVP was +3 dash+supporting fire+tidal dash+Using the adamant rail (with the 3 round burst, never reload hammer). You just bully people into a corner and then the 10 support arrows + rail shots melt them.

I also realize that I need more than 2 dashes to deal with the final boss's attack patterns. There is a definite difference between runs that have 2 dashes and runs that have more.

You're actually fine with two dashes against the final boss. Because they're charging forward into their huge radius attack, two dashes will get you safely out of it as long as you head directly at them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Disgusting Coward posted:

Keep thinking of booting up, then keep remembering that uuuugh hydra fight and then playing Nex Machina instead.

You know the hydra fight breaks for 3/6 instead of 2/4/6 now, right?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Russian Remoulade posted:

I got my first win yesterday and I feel pretty good about my choice to avoid the wiki instead of sacrificing surprise at the altar of optimization. Are there any unlocks or story threads that I'll need a guide for, or can I continue living in blissful ignorance and eventually see all the content?

You may eventually have to wiki it out if you want to collect and covet all of the duo boons and the complete boon set for each god. It might be quite a long time until you chanced upon them by accident. Like for Dionysus: his tier 3 increases the damage hungover enemies take in his fog shot, so you need both the fog shot and a boon that gives stacks of Hangover to grab it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm interested to see how they're going to handle resets after a run. Right now they have some obvious placeholder joke stuff when you win that explains you being sent back downstairs to start over. (My favorite so far has been one suggesting the prince went for a walk and stepped on a rake, which smacked him in the head, killing him instantly) I don't think there's been any whispers yet of what is actually supposed to happen after the final battle.

I'm guessing you wander a trackless winter waste, bleeding off the heat from your run until you freeze to death. The endgame converts your heat and remaining life to exploration progress.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

kaschei posted:

In game spoilers:

drat, I need to have more chats with Grandma.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Samovar posted:

Aw mang, if you get up to Styx before having the dream, Zag will mention his mother being on the surface to Cereberus. Shame, really, considering they thought through so many different happenings with lines of dialogue.

I always thought the dream was a flashback to something that happened before run 1 started.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sindai posted:

I guess the shield really is good, because despite my boons being absolutely all over the place I still got my first win with it. It turns out all you really need is the absurd synergy of Minotaur Rush and Charged Shot, which turn the shield into the bow except you're mostly invincible while charging your 500 damage shots.

Second place goes to Demeter's legendary for finishing Hades when I was also on my last life and 10% health.

Yeah, Decay's pretty ridiculous in boss fights, especially considering you're probably only going to get it online in Elysium.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Vasudus posted:

“Poseidon is really meh” I say as I’m trying to level his trinket and get all his boons.

Ended up with the shield, with hammers for bull rush speed and attack after special, knock back on attack, double knock back, and extra damage on obstacle impact. Trash would get one shot, even most armored things. Did a full clear at heat 5 in like 19:45 :stare:

I’ll never get this lucky with a single god again.

Yeah, once you start rolling deep, Poseidon is exceptional at clearing anything other than biome bosses. You still kind of need a plan for them, but you'll show up looking great.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Picked this up after a hiatus. I like what the hydra fight's turned into now, and the fists are ridiculous combat monsters, though they suffer a bit against heavily ranged opposition, like the new witch miniboss in Asphodel.

Had some almost-successful future weapon runs, but I got too full of myself with hazard bombs and didn't realize how easily the end boss could pop them.

Experimenting with companions. Shady's quality, of course, but Battie is surprisingly solid at cracking the occasional tough target.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Incoherence posted:

I feel like the problem with non-Shady companions is that bulky enemies are bulky because they're armored, and so you generally waste the additional damage because you can't one-shot an armored enemy.

Except for bosses. Bosses aren't armored.

Most of them do have HP that comes off in phases with an invuln between, but just skipping one phase of a boss fight is pretty good while you're getting your build together.

Battie also has a pretty funny line every now and then when you walk into the Furies boss fight and Meg's front and center. They have a nice little moment about Meg showing up to help Zag now and again and then she's like "yeah, but this is pretty fun too" and the boss fight proceeds as normal.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 3, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I started a fresh save and beat it on my 5th attempt.

Holy crap do you miss a /ton/ of plot that you're supposed to get from dieing a whole ton of times.

There's dialogue you get for dying a bunch of times. I wouldn't call it plot, necessarily. All of the gods have lines for getting pasted by Megaera multiple times, for instance.

You're not missing anything permanently. In fact, you should now have a whole bunch of options for dying even faster!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ymgve posted:

I'm so bad at this game. 22 runs and I've only seen the third boss once. God Mode is right there and so tempting, but I don't want to disappoint myself by activating it.

You're about on pace, don't worry too much. As long as you've gotten to the third biome with each weapon you'll be getting plenty of darkness to feed the mirror.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

?????? oh no I've had them unlocked for so long

Inspect a weapon after you've already picked it up. If that's not doing it for you, you might need to get busy dying until Achilles says something about it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Party Boat posted:

When I last played Theseus and Asterion were the final bosses. Should I just start a new save? Apparently I was halfway through a run because when I loaded it up Zag strolled into the hydra's chamber and commented that it looked different. The whole game looks and feels great, I'm just going to have to learn to play it again!

You might have a lot of pending feature unlocks, but they've been very good about letting any game state just pick up and keep going. I wouldn't worry - everything you've got is yours to keep.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

The issue is weapon choice. If you're running with fists then using three dashes to reposition out of harm's way is also taking you out of range to do damage. You want to stay very close at all times. One dash is generally all you'll have to have there and the bonus damage and dodge is super useful because some damage trading is inescapable when you're at phone booth range all the time.

It's only 2 dashes now. Usually that doesn't leave you stranded out in the middle of nowhere, and especially if you've got some extra dash attack, running back in to engage isn't a huge timewaster.

Still, learning to do it all with a single dash will usually leave you better off for the long haul.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Incoherence posted:

I have the prophecy to beat Charon twice in a row and I have no idea when I'd do that because (a) I think it only shows up if you visit a shop midway through a biome, which usually feels like the wrong choice in a vacuum, and (b) the tension between having enough damage to actually kill him and wanting to do it early so you actually benefit from the discount.

Three death defiances help. Of course, then you're hoping Patroclus saves the run, but the Fates don't need you to reach the surface to win the bet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

dantheman650 posted:

In general how do you all prioritize room rewards? It seems like it should maybe be hammer - boon - health - shop - anything else. I’m just trying to escape for the first time.

Also, is there ever a reason to choose a mini-boss room when there is a normal room available, assuming the rewards are the same? Do the mini-boss rooms give higher quality rewards?

Yes, most skull room rewards are improved. Pickups are at least doubled, though darkness and gems are more like 5x I think. Boons are guaranteed to be rare or better when alone, and of course if there's two you get them both (though I don't think there's any rarity math there).

You can get at most one hammer through the first two biomes, and then one more through the last two. If you have less than two hammers in the fourth biome you're guaranteed a chance at one.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Oxxidation posted:

your tier list consists of good gods, great gods, busted-rear end unstoppable gods, and Artemis

Yeah, I had a pretty good run with her, the spoiler bow, and a very generous Daedalus:

Loved seeing Dad start casting. Any crit will eventually splash its way around to him, and if there's another skull out I can get another!

Also had the prophecy going for an egg clear and figured why not. I put a disco ball in the lounge with the payout. Hail Chaos!

Haven't cleared it a lot lately, I'm playing around with a different control setup. I can see the potential in dash on trigger but I need to clear my reflex of panic-hitting the face button where it used to be. It's the use button now, so I just stand there flailing around while being bodyslammed by 12 perfect wretched thugs. (My mouth isn't full of blood, that's just river water.)

Knowing there's a maximum of 3 bobs before the bite has helped my fishing game enormously, I caught 3 out of 6 legendaries, but I almost kind of want the common catch in Greece because this "trout", whatever that is, is worth a diamond?

Glazius fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 22, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Xaris posted:

Something to keep in mind is that you get 5x Bouldy Companions which drops 25 Darkness, 30 Coin and like 30(?) healing, which turns out to be about 75HP from healing through Darkness drops from Bouldy ontop of the food it drops. So it's a little better at burst-healing. And with the House Renovation upgrade you get +5 Max HP everytime you earn Darkness rewards so it's not completely bad to get Darkness. But yeah Chtonic Vitality is definitely better overall for healing off attrition, especially if you aren't using Bouldy and are purposely avoiding Darkness rooms, but if you are rocking Bouldy and also are not avoiding Darkness rooms then Dark Regen is a wee bit better. really a wash either way imo so just do whatever.

You are probably right that Golden Touch is about a wash or worse; however, you could juice that big time with the Coinpurse Trinket and swap off and early Bouldy drops (not that I would recommend that because I usually save em for bosses or Styx) for a really big payout at the end to always be able to buy Blood/Diamond with even enough to buy a couple of Charon shop things in between. I know I've never failed to buy a Blood/Diamond by the time I get to Styx but you can usually do that with just the +100 starting gold too.

Dark Regen also makes Darkness troves and bought Darkness from Charon into little heals, for what that's worth.

In my experience the real shortcoming of it is that the bitty prechambers in Styx all heal with Cthonic and you pretty much stop getting Darkness at all at that point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Some pretty fun combo clears tonight. Aphrodite Areia was puttin' in work. Made the credits, and I like that you can look at the splash image from them whenever you like. Presenting:

Love Bomb and Doom Laser!

Crunk Spear and Heart Blaster! (I think the title's for hitting the NPC room in the first three biomes.)

And Smoochbow, with -75% the recommended engagement range of a standard Chiron bow!

I learned two things tonight. The first is that the advancing sword nova is a tremendously risky hammer upgrade when you've got extreme measures on for the Hydra fight.

The second is that when Hermes bets you can't beat Charon twice in a row, he means twice in a row from then on. Still got one more to go.

Glazius fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 23, 2020

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

No Wave posted:

Did they change how much ambrosia NPCs take this patch? Up until now it only took 1, 1, 1 ambrosia to advance Than/Megaera but finishing Dusa's questline took 2-3-4 Ambrosia. That seems like way too much if they all take that much now! If it's a Dusa only thing then never mind.

It's a Dusa only thing. It's just for having a happy little Gorgon icon on the duster, so hold off if you're worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kuros posted:

Tried out the Pact that takes away Mirror upgrades starting from the bottom and WOW that hurts. I didn't bother getting an attack boon until Elysium since they were all white boons. Blizzard Shot was the winner of that run along with a +1 cast from Chaos.

When I was doing that one for the all the pacts prophecy, I tried to force Exclusive Access. I actually got it in Asphodel, but I forget exactly what the build was otherwise.

ImpAtom posted:

But that is the most important thing of all!!

Yeah, their happy little icon game is pretty on-point.

Transient People posted:

Got my third win trivially last night with an Aphrodite call + infinite onhits + fast call gen fists build, I called down the meganuke like, four times during the last fight. Am I crazy or does every bow aspect bar hera blow? They seem incredibly, unspeakably awful until leveled up like hella. Bow just feels like a bad weapon out the box compared to everything else.

The distance playstyle doesn't click for some people - I've seen posters love the bow and, like you, hate the bow. I find that I pretty much need Greater Reflex to be able to create distance, but once I do, well, the bow is currently my highest-heat weapon. Next clear I'll get that useless trinket!