Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Agh, made it to Hades with like 3? death defies and still lost. Had what I thought was a decent build with health-stealing sword, but just sucked too much at dodging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Hey I bought this game recently and it is really good, early contender for my GOTY along with Monster Train.

EDIT: The OP mentioned Demeter. Is that an EA only God, or do I just need to keep playing and I'll see?

Keep playing.

e: Beaten.

minya posted:

In general, 'Keep playing and you'll see' is the answer to basically every question you'll have about the game.

edit: I don't mean that to be snide btw. It's just that the game is so well-designed and thought out that there isn't really anything illogical or tricky about its progression.
I was really surprised how the game has basically no hard tutorialization, it kind of just lets you go at and learn as you go. It's good.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Woo, first clear. Had a kinda goofy knockback+chill build with the shield.

Had a bow run right before the came close, felt kinda crushed to lose that one and was not expecting to have such a good run, much less clear with the shield. (It's not bad, I just haven't used it a lot / hadn't gotten past Hydra till this run.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So in the situation where I have 3/4 bounties for Heat 0 with the bow, what happens I clear on heat 1? heat 2? Do I just get the reward from the lowest uncleared?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Normally yes, but heat 0 is special and can be skipped over, so you'll get the rewards from heat 1 regardless of whether you clear 0 or not. Heat 1 cannot be skipped so you'll get those rewards no matter how high the heat is.
So I think I'm 3/4 for heat 0 across the board, save for the one weapon I've done a clear with. So a heat 1 clear will skip the titan's blood from Hades? I assume I can just turn the heat off and just collect it later?

Since you get titans bloods from just clearing the first boss, is it a bad approach to aim to collect a bunch messing with heat rather then push hard for clears?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Once I've unlocked all the talents and weapons, are keys purely for trading at the broker?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wow, managed my second clear with the rail of all things - its certainly not my favorite and i've found it pretty tricky. I rolled with the aspect for standing in explosions, but the run winner was probably cluster bomb. I was able to lame out Hades by dropping explosions everywhere and playing keep away.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah the ranged weapons are the easiest to get your first few wins with. For stuff like the fists, you really need to stack on the defensive boons.

Speaking of: Win #3 using the bow - used the homing special aspect and got some hangover related stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Something I deeply appreciate about this game: I'm playing on PC but using a switch pro controller. The game actually gives me appropriate button prompts/icons. It actually threw me off at first since Im used of having to remember xbox layout.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Frida Call Me posted:

You can destroy the heart projectile by dashing through it or attacking it, iirc.
I don't think dashing through it destroys it, but I found that to be a good way to deal with it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What do people feel are the easier settings for early heats (or in general)? Its probably going to come down to play style / preference - so far, for me, increased costs is what I ended up getting heat 1 wins with. I thought I'd be fine with heightened security (traps do more damage) but turns out the jars on the last boss count as a trap. Also, I'm very good at blundering into the traps in Elsyium.

Carcer posted:

I've just unlocked heat, should I clear with each weapon first before I enable something for heat or will I get the 0 heat rewards if I beat the game on 1 heat?

crepeface posted:

IIRC Heat 0 has separate rewards, so do that with all the weapons.
Personally, I'd do some heat 1 runs before trying to get all the heat 0 rewards - at least assuming Carcer is mostly talking about not having the last boss reward. But it's also going to depend where your priorities are in terms of goals.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Win #4 with Achilles' spear. :toot: Thanks for the timed run recommendation. 9 minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but I also didn't realize you keep the spare time from the previous zone.

crepeface posted:

Yeah, Artemis boons are all great, the Call is especially good for skipping entire phases of bosses.

Edit: I almost always only use Greater Calls unless I have Zeus/Hermes' boons that give benefits for activation. Maybe Aphrodite's to stunlock/interrupt or Athena's maybe. When do people use Calls without a full bar?
If the room isn't long/tough enough to get you to a greater call. Better to use a partial call and kill stuff faster then let it go to waste, or take damage trying to save up.

What keepsakes do people like? The Plume seems like it has a ton of potential, but you're basically locked into it. Most of my runs I'll take a boon-related keepsake at the start, then switch to something else after a zone or two (the money one seems good to tag on at one point) and switch to Skelly's tooth for Temple since the extra life can be huge on Hades.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What is pom blossom? A keepsake?

I'm missing the very last one - I had a hunch where it came from but it hasn't panned out. A little worried to spoil myself.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Well this doesn't feel fair: The small rooms in Temple of Styx don't count as encounters for the plume, but they do for shop items.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sweet, managed to escape with every weapon, also getting a heat 1 clear with everything but the shield. I'm on like a 4-5 win streak. Kinda surprised i've managed it because I still feel like an idiot when it comes to effectively evading the duo boss and Hades.

I really like the chill debuff. The boon that makes it so enemies shatter and reset the debuff at 10 seems like a total trap to me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

No Wave posted:

It is a bit unfair, but it would just be so op with plume... you'd gain like 25% dodge in Styx. Its not beautiful design but I'm sympathetic.

Im mostly just annoyed the shop items count down with each room. I grabbed before the temple thinking it'd be great for fighting Hades.

The plume does count for the final room of each pathway, and rooms have their own timings - so in theory the smaller rooms -could- have really tight timers, but it would be hard to balance and I understand why it doesnt work that way.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

War Wizard posted:

Hey, so I can get past Theseus, but then I have no idea what's happening. I go in one of 5 rooms in Styx, fight my way through 3 rooms. Then I die instantly from poison accumulation or something? I don't know what's killing me but it eats my whole health bar in a second.

The satyrs and rats can apply poison. Every room has at least one fountain thingy with yellow liquid in it, run up to it and use it to cure the poison.

You can tell you're poisoned if you have green blobs above your head, Zag will usually also comment.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Do you get anything for putting more heat on a run than you need to?

Like, if i can tackle heat 2, can i jump straight to it with a weapon i've not cleared heat 0 or 1 with and get all of the rewards simultaneously?
Not really. You get the rewards from the lowest uncomplete heat (excluding heat 0.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've been fine with increased costs. (Forgot the name)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

minya posted:

Basically, in the "ideal run," your:

Weapon
Weapon aspect (you'll discover this eventually)
Daedalus hammers
Boons

Should all reinforce each other in a kind of feedback loop.

Also consider mirror talents and keepsakes.

EG: the first talent is a choice between damage vs. full hp or backstab damage. The former is better for weapons/builds with a lot of upfront damage vs. rapid hitters.

e: Or well, damage vs full hp is less good with rapid hit weapons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Woo hit credits. Almost disappointed I didn't have to fight Hades on that run - I had a bit of a wonky rail build - I picked Aspect of Eris, but grabbed the rocket hammer upgrade having not seen it before. The build wasn't the strongest the end of the run (picked the 3 burst no reload on second hammer) but I think it would have been good enough to plink away at Hades.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Does maxing out a bond have any effect? I maxed out skelly and I noticed his keepsake has mark on it now, but I don't think it's any different? Just a completionism thing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

i have never had a use for crystal beam but god bless everyone else who apparently does

It feels good as a "drop and forget" kind of thing, particularly on bosses when you're focusing more on dodging. Also, I really like getting the boon that makes it chill.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

What are the mechanics on how many gods you get per run? I read something somewhere (that I can't find) that says each run only has so many gods seeded naturally, but I have no idea how it works or if it's even true.

This is mostly based on observation, but I think there's a limited number naturally that get locked in as you accept boons - I heard the number was 4? But you can force past this by swapping keepsakes.

I'm pretty sure Hermes is not part of that system. He always has a chance to show up. (Which is probably why the plume is different from other god keepsakes)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

I got 5 gods in my latest run, but I'm not sure if what I did counts as forcing or not. First, I saw that the natural gods spawned were Artemis, Dionysus, and Demeter, and lastly Ares but he only came up once as a shop choice. Then I forced Athena to get her dash - but then I continued getting Athena choices (along with everyone else but Ares.)
Im assuming once you accept a boon from a god, they're added to the pool for that run, the game will stop giving you new ones after 4, but if you use a keepsake after you hit 4, you can add more to the pool.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

This is exactly where I am too right now. I'm about 40 runs in and have pretty much maxed out my chosen mirror bonuses so I'm not sure how much more progression I can squeeze out. I know it's just a case of gitting gud but I'd really love a practice mode so I can not keep almost getting there all day. I'm almost tempted to tick the god mode box but I know that would leave me empty and unfulfilled in the end.

Is there any way of getting more titan's blood without killing Hades? Or respeccing? I poured it all into the shield which is fine but I'd like to try some of the others/

Save up 1200 coin and hope one is the shop in Styx.

Trading with the Broker as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The gun with the 300% dmg+ radius upgrade, with stacked Critical% and damage boons. I honestly just destroyed him I had the special so powerful. Although I have tried to recreate it and never gotten that much damage going again. I killed him in probably a minute. I tend to do the best with the gun with a really beefed up special since I can just blindly lob some damage in the background, then focusing on shooting and dodging. I also usually do pretty well with the fists and the shield. I despise the sword.

I'm kind of wondering is atm it might not be a bad idea to focus less on continuing to kill Hades, and just stack some heat up to get more upgrades and maybe try to unlock one of these followers I've read about.

If you're chasing rewards, you'll eventually need to start clearing Hades. Unlocking the pact opens up heat 1 across all weapons and that's another 6 titan's blood from first boss clears, but once you have those, you don't have access to much else until you clear Hades on that heat+weapon. Where are you in terms of mirror talents? If your lacking darkness, then staying at a heat where you've cleared the bounties might actually be better.

I got the point where Im clearing fairly consistently - companion and weapon upgrades didn't make a ton of difference (I've only unlocked one companion, and most of my clears have been with base weapons or baseline unlocks.)

Try to pick boons with a plan in mind. Figure out what gets you and try to grab boons with that in mind. I frequently try to get Demeter/chill stuff because slowing down bosses helps me a lot. Early on I was neglecting getting calls because there was a lot of instances where they'd go unused, or I wouldn't build them up fast enough, but they end up being a big deal for bosses 3 and 4.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Keys, darkness, and giving exactly one nectar to everyone you can to unlock keepsakes. Hypnos, Skelly and Cerberus are good early picks to make your runs easier.
For Cerberus I've hit a point where I can't give him more nectar, but nothing seems to be happening, and I've already hit credits.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a general consensus on what boons to shoot for with each weapon? Ie if shield, then zeus etc?

I think it's a bit of personal preference, and it's going to depend on what aspect and if you focus attack or special.
This is how I currently view:
Aphrodite: Weak, Charm - Feels good for builds where you'll be in danger/melee a lot
Ares: Doom, Blade rifts - Feels good for weapons that hit less often or builds where you play keep away
Artemis: Crit: Pretty good for any weapon?
Athena: Deflect: Pretty handy for any weapon/build. The type of deflect (attack or special) really depends on the weapon you have, deflect dash is king.
Demeter: Chill, I love it on fast hit melee builds
Dionysus: Hangover aka poison: Feels good on ranged builds, can work with fast hit melee since they'll stack it up.
Poseidon: Feels good for range (keep away) depends for melee since knocking enemies around can get annoying in some rooms, or you can lean into it for wall slam builds. Shield has decent synergy with that in particular.
Zeus: Anything that hits fairly rapidly - I take it a lot with sword or spear.

It can also be a playstyle thing. I go to Demeter a lot because chill makes it easier for me to deal with bosses.
e: Honestly most of the time it just comes down to working with I get dealt, but I frequently force Athena and Artemis to try to get the dash and calls respectively.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 12, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought I saw someone mention a prophecy involving buying every minor shop item, but I don't think I've had that one pop up yet, do you have to buy a certain amount before it does?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Arcturas posted:

How does adding heat to unlock more unlocks work? I have beaten the first three bosses with all the weapons, but have only escaped with fist and rail, though I've escaped on heat 0 & 1 with fist. But when I go to heat 1 or 2, I can't get the new diamond/blood/ambrosia unlocks for the other four weapons? Do I need to escape once with each to get access to the diamond at heat 1 for, say, spear? This is mostly a problem because I'd like a ton of diamonds for the room upgrades and meta-plot, but I also want to spend my end-of-run cash on boons.

Unlocking the pact (beating heat 0) unlocks heat 1 for every weapon and opens up a fresh set of bounties. From there, you need to clear heat 1 to unlock the rewards for heat 2, per weapon. So if you clear heat 1 with the sword, you then can do a heat 2 run with the sword, or a heat 1 run with any other weapon.

e: Good early heat options are, IMO: Time Limit (9 Minutes is plenty) Extreme Measures (Bosses get extra moves - 1 rank only makes the first boss a bit harder) and I personally find one rank of the "shops are more expensive" to be fairly un-intrusive.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

that last one is really dependent on the weapon. you wouldn't want it with the sword's hidden aspect

I feel like it could be really annoying with the rail too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Artelier posted:

What's your favourite bit of incidental dialogue? Mine is Zagreus nonchalantly going Guh-dong when Than's appearing.
The apologies Zag gives when you use calls from a god you pissed off. It was one of those things I had a very quick "I wonder if- okay yeah they thought of it."

When he started guessing which Fury he'd fight was good too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm still new at this, with around 20 runs. I reach the end of Elysium almost every time now, unless I get an exceptionally bad room along the way.

But that Elysium boss fight, especially when subsequent runs make it more difficult by adding Theseus, and then allowing them to call down bullshit god powers -- it's gone from challenging to frustrating, and I'm not sure how to change up my build to make it easier.

I usually go in with the spear, Dusa's keepsake, and try for Athena's dash boon. The available boons on any given run are so random that it's hard to plan, so I look for a good balance of survivability and offense.

I got to the final boss once (and he wrecked me pretty good), but I usually just die at the end of Elysium, and it's starting to not feel great not making any progress.
So one thing, subsequent runs didn't add anything, you just ran into a miniboss at one point. The minotaur, Astarias, can pop up as a miniboss. The boss is & has always been Theseus + Astarias. What works for me is focusing on Astarias first, getting him away from Theseus, using pillars or athena dash to deal with the spear throws. If you've picked up a damage call ability, save it for when Theseus does his call.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

no dlc or expansions for any other games by the studio iirc

Yeah, that's been on my mind when people have mentioned the idea of DLC for this game. But on the other hand, none of their other games really lent themselves to DLC or expansions?

This game's format, reception/popularity, and the fact it had early access certainly could lend itself to DLC/expansions, but SG just as well seems like a dev that would want to move onto something fresh.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

zoux posted:

I feel like the other games were "cult darlings" while tons of people are going nuts for this one. It's gonna be on a lot of GOTY lists.
I feel like Bastion had quite the reception, no? It sort of felt like the early part of the new indie era. Everyone was raving about the narrator and soundtrack. (Speaking of, the Barge music kinda gives me Bastion vibes.)

Transistor and Pyre felt like I didn't hear nearly as much about.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zikan posted:

Survival rooms pause the in game timer if you are running the time heat limit. Since the category is based of the in game timer it’s technically a free room.

I thought you just didn't get survival rooms with the time limit heat active.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blueshirt posted:

Is there some reason that Hermes has the option to make him stop talking, but no other Olympian seems to?

What do you mean? Is this a special option cause it seems like you can skip/button through dialog whenever.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Do attack buffs increase your Dash attack strength as well?

I don't think so. Attack/Special/Cast/Dash are separate categories as far as I can tell. I think there is some stuff that raises your damage in general, but I also know there's Ares' boon that specifies Attack/Special/Cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Guan Yu + Poseidon Attack Boon was a really awful combo for trying to get life back. So much for my win streak, but at least I made it to the surface.