Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Shumagorath posted:

Can I play this with a mouse and keyboard or do I want to have a controller ready? I'm going to be on the road for a few days and it looks like my Haswell-era laptop can handle this game.

some people swear by KBM and do just fine, I found it was destroying my wrists though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

One of my fav builds that you can do early on is dodge stacking with the Zag aspect for the fists. It only takes 5 titan blood to max out the aspect and the rest should be easy to get. You will need the alternate dodge skill on the mirror, the one that gives you just one dodge but also a 50% dodge chance if you dodge an attack. You will also need Hermes gift, the lambet plume

With max zag on the fists, you get 15% dodge and with the plume, you will get more dodge each time you clear a room quickly. Its pretty easy to get it 20% or above by the end of a run.

Look for hermes boons during the run, the game should give you 2 by the end. You will want the boons that give extra dodges, so its easier to proc the extra dodge chance, and the extra dodge chance boon, which adds like 10%-20% dodge.

When you have the right boons, you will be at or above 100% dodge chance every time you dodge something for 2 seconds. Makes the last fight into a complete cakewalk

As for general advice, get very good at doing dodge attacks with almost every weapon. They come out so quick and you can spam them constantly. Also, keep playing till you start to memorize all the gods and their boons. Being able to quickly game out the best possible builds when looking at your options will go a long way towards getting you consistent clears

this post uses “dodge” every time it should say “dash” and it has given me permanent brain damage. other than that, good advice.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Got my first clear :cool: Meg made a comment whining that I only beat her rear end every time because of the mirror, I assume this is a purely flavor thing or will I get a treat if I turn off the mirror and beat her rear end?

yeah, there’s dialogue for that, as well as for some even weirder stuff like beating dad without any boons

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Also it’s entirely possible to beat the game on your first ever run but holy gently caress it’s improbable since lol at a new player knowing to do the speed run strat of gunning for Merciful End and base level Zag suuuucks.

you can see the devs commentate a speedrun of someone doing exactly that here:

https://youtu.be/VKepf4jyn4o

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

the first level of tight deadline is basically free too, unless you’re especially slow (and if you are, it’s good motivation to go faster).

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

been beating my head against 32 heat this week. feeling great about my build (Rama bow, Artemis attack, and either Dio or Aphro on the special) but getting repeatedly shithoused by the EM3 boss and can’t go down to EM2 without picking up a lot of even more annoying heat to make up for it. just gotta git gud I suppose

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

AHAHAHAHA YES

nice! I just put together an insanely good 32 heat run with nearly this exact build, made it to styx with plenty of time and three DDs… then got 5 sacked and died to tight deadline :rubshands:

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

spent the last week or so beating my head against 32 heat, trying all my usual weapons: hidden shield, chiron bow, zeus shield + shattered shackle… and barely could get out of elysium no matter what I tried. then I saw someone on reddit mention that eris rail + zeus attack was pretty good.

one attempt later:

zap

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My 2-run a day limit holds true. Did super well with the Spear and then the Gun, to only get the Sword and choke on the final boss. I had a weird set-up too which I used poorly. Not every God's Aid is equal huh? A few of them are even actively unhelpful, at least that's the impression Ares gave me.
yeah, Ares boons are awkward because they’re doing two different things (doom and blade rifts) which don’t synergize at all, so you want to focus on one or the other usually. contrast that with Zeus, where almost all the boons do the same thing (lightning) so no matter which ones you get your build will make sense.

quote:

Do you get more Night when replaying a higher heat? What I mean is, when you replay an already beaten heat, and beat the bosses you don't get the usual rewards but just Night. Does that go up per heat level or is it always the same amount won?
assuming you mean darkness: no, it’s always the same (although there is a game system that incentivizes you to pick different weapons by making them worth more; I’m not sure when that unlocks but you’ll know it when you see it)

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

What's that in your Aid slot? I don't recognize the icon, but tbf I've never gone above 16 Heat either

Zeus's, although I'm pretty sure I was too busy going "mash triangle three times, empty clip, mash triangle three times again" to ever use the call

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

dhamster posted:

I just cleared EM4 for the first time today. Pretty exciting stuff. I like how there's entirely new encounters you probably won't run into until several hours past the 'true' ending. I think I might take a break from the game for now though, the only major milestone left for me is the 32 heat trophy and that's just not as interesting to me.

you’re only saying that because you haven’t yet beheld the glory of skelly’s third statue

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

indigi posted:

e2: I honestly don’t know when I’ll make it so far again. that was a very lucky run. is Chaos worth visiting? his boons never really seem to be worth losing 20 health

definitely. a one-time hit to your health (which you'll make back up anyway by going through chambers, once you have the right mirror talent upgrades) is more than outweighed by bumping up your damage output for the entire run, or an extra cast, or all the other goodies. of course if you get three lovely choices then never mind, but that usually doesn't happen

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

you gotta have at least one level of tight deadline to avoid the stupid timed survival chambers. but 9 minutes should still be a highly chill experience unless something goes really screwy

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

chiron whips rear end but is just a smidge too slow to be effective at 32 heat imo, the travel time on the special is brutal. rama melts face though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I hate that the pact that reduces your boon choices shows you what you're missing out on.

what, no way. next thing you’ll tell us that you hate when a golden pot flashes at you right as you’re walking through the door to the next chamber