Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Got Hades down less than 25% health on my 8th run, so close to killing him in the first try.... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kuros posted:

Of his first health bar?

...I feel less bad now

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gah Im getting so close to finishing a run. Just had a spear run that got Hades down to the final 40% without a call or really amazing items, so all I need is some luck with boons or another deaths defiance upgrade and I think I have it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally beat it with this build somehow. I had almost nothing that synergized so I just abused the shield when charging move to stay in place and block all damage between attacks, which apparently was good enough :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

And a second run is done. This is more what I expected to win with lol. It just put out so much damage, and I definitely felt more in control of fights than the first clear

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Are any hammer upgrades tied to specific weapons or is it just random what pops up?

Yes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally had a ridiculous run. This + aspect of zagreus + a few more dodge boons + 50% dodge after a near miss meant I never got hit, and I was putting out around 100 damage per attack hit before any of the backstab/exposed bonuses.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

This was the first run where I didn't lose a dd to Hades.

I feel like charged shot could take down hades without any upgrades at all, given enough time. Other than the adds phase, it has perfect defense against anything he can do.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nothing like seeing a 1000+! hit pop up regularly

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of this game? I only tried 3 runs and it didn’t grab me in comparison to rogue-lites like Binding of Isaac and Enter the Gungeon but all the praise it keeps getting is making me think if I should give it another shot.

Ya... its good

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The only thing this game is missing is some sort of endless challenge mode at the end of a run so that you can play around with your finished build. It always feels like it ends as soon as it really comes together.

Would also be awesome to have an upgrade to bring skelly on a trip to the surface too as a sort of DPS check

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I did it....

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Same run. Patroclus is a bro

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Remapped cast to the right trigger and it’s just so much comfier now. I’m using the switch pro controller and having to reach from attack to cast was a pain, but this is way nicer. The downside is that I didn’t remap Gift (not sure if I can) so now whenever Zag hands something to an Olympian on the escape it’s accompanied by a cast.

Youre basically fastballing the nectar at them

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Sygian soul works fine with poseidon sword. You still get the 50% damage boost, and if you're using a direct damage cast you can still use the special to proc exit wounds. If you get up to 3 casts (artemis legendary, or chaos+chaos/well buff) I'm not sure you really lose any potential dps anyways because of cast times, and at 2 its probably fairly close. If you're doing any duration casts stygian with poseidon is the best option IMO, or at the very least the easiest. Maybe the spear buffing cast would be better damage on bosses, but posiedon cast already does just fine there.

Thats a whole lot of stuff to make stygian soul be on par with infernal soul though, and infernal soul is at that level right out the gate + benefits from those same boons + benefits way more from rapid casting. Its not a tradeoff like with demeter beams, you are just going to be doing less damage with stygian vs infernal, and you gain almost nothing in return.

Hera bow otoh sounds like it would work great with stygian and duration casts like ares or dionysus, but I haven't played around with it yet.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thats definitely not true for the Zeus special

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

"A whole lot" being literally any increase in max casts, the sources of which are two things you want to be aiming for anyways. The difference is do you want a bigger 'out of the gate' option or do you want a 'scales better if you invested more into it' option.

I'm guessing you really haven't played with it at all, because if you're using stygian the flurry cast boon (which is the "cast faster" boon from hermes) isn't even available. Instead you drop your regen time down from 3 second by 0.25 seconds per rarity. In addition, if you're using infernal the hermes legendary boon is "cast gems automatically return to you", while the boon for stygian is "+50% dmg to enemies without a cast gem in them".

If you're focusing on cast you want to take a weapon with cast damage bonus, because there just aren't that many sources of it. Things like hera bow are great for adding in cast to something else you're doing without having to muck with how you're playing (ie aphro cast). If you're focusing more on casts with the hera bow I'd probably use infernal and aim for the hermes legendary.

edit: and hwurmp has a great example of how stygian provides an immediate benefit. In similar regards, not having to keep track or chase down all your gems to keep up is a huge advantage.

I was talking about the poseidon sword specifically dude. I know how stygian/infernal soul works

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im still waiting for the dream of flurry fire + support fire + lightning strike, but Zeus always refuses to cooperate, which I suppose is very Zeus-like

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Oops, I was talking about Flurry Shot (for the bow), not Flurry Fire (for the rail).

At least on the bow, though, I was not seeing lightning bolts on the extra arrows from Support Fire unless they hit a beat after I stopped holding down Attack.

Huh, I figured they wouldnt proc lightning at all since theyre distinct from an attack/special

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Poseidon's cast is amazing and so is Ares (especially if you can stack Blade Rifts on dash and double-dip on your rift enhancers. Artemis is some really high damage and is homing. The only stinker IMO is Aphrodite, and Zeus and Athena are mediocre compared to everything else, not being much better than the default cast.

Aphrodite works well with poseidon sword, especially since a couple gods have boons that do aoe damage on cast. The base damage is massive, youre always close enough to dislodge your crystals, and you take less damage when you inevitably mess up.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Is Tisiphone.... okay?

Shes the punisher of murderers and very dedicated to her position

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, that was self defense

Murderer.......

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Huh, is Demeter the only god that gives damage on cast? I could have sworn another god had a similar ability

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Relentless posted:

the base damage boost is just... not that great.

:pwn:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I can see not liking the shotgun but the damage output is insane

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hulk Krogan posted:

I took the shotgun on an Eris aspect run because I needed it t for the prophecy, and it fuckin slapped tbh. In fairness, I am generally dashing up next to enemies to get into the special attack blast radius anyway, so it was just free extra damage.

I dont have Hestia upgraded into a place worth using yet but I expect that to be the purest shotgun experience.

e: apparently it doesnt work like that :(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I finally loving managed to get support fire, lightning attacks, and storm call on fists after trying to several runs, got hyped to see how fast I could melt Hades and the fucker didnt even want to fight me gently caress you dad. gently caress you!!!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So if I'm still trying to collect nectars to give to people, Dark Foresight is a bad mirror upgrade to have on right? Since it will increase the chance of seeing non-consumable rewards.

Yes, except for the one time you have to use it for the prophecy

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hades spear is rapidly becoming my favorite weapon, the combination of damage, aoe, and range just feels so comfy to use.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I pick the pierced butterfly to get extra damage from all those short small-room encounters, which is definitely how it works ha ha ha. ha ha. :(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Lol. This was a quick Hades fight

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's a jack of all trades and I like it for that. Nothing fiddly, good range, and versatile. Also hades spear with a good attack boon is enough to win a run comfortably by itself

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Some days the game doesnt give a flip about what weapon you wanted to use

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finished a run where at the end I had effective 50% dodge rate, sturdy on dash, and deflect on all the things I used, and just completely ignored what hades was doing. Im rapidly realizing that anytime you ask yourself "can this stupid idea work?" it somehow works

big cummers ONLY posted:

Dash-special stuff annoys me because I can't pull off that button combo easily, so rather than improve I just refuse to use it and die to the hydra

Im constantly rebinding the keys. The run above used the dash special primarily and I just remapped it to X

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Demeter fists and Hades spear are the most fun weapons for me so far, and Eris rail will probably join it once I put some titans blood into it, but I dont have a whole lot fully upgraded other than the zagreus stuff.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dzhay posted:

Do any of the ghost contractor guy's upgrades have a real effect (mechanically or story-wise), outside of the first tab?

Some story is gated behind lounge upgrades, but otherwise its all cosmetic

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

What do people like for Hera bow? I was thinking of using Festive Fog, but Dio never even showed up this run.

Blade rift needs the Artemis duo to feel good on Hera bow, but when you get it, its fantastic. For casts, this is one of three weapons that makes aphrodite cast worth using since range isnt an issue, and its a good option for raw damage if you cant find Dio (and I dont know how Dio works with it anyways tbh)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh dang thats incredibly nice then.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

minya posted:

Fwiw, I don't think giving up counts as a 'loss'. I was on a 2 streak, gave up next run in Tartarus because I screwed up my trinket choice, went back in, won the run, and was on 3 streak.

Can confirm it doesnt. I mess up my trinket choice every run but only had my streak ended by Extreme Dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally beat The Final Dad. Charged shot continues to be the best defensive hammer in the game