Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

dmboogie posted:

anyway heres some thoughts i had about where the story could go (spoilers for this game and the rest of supergiant's catalog)

So, Supergiant always things changes things up pretty massively from game to game, but all their stories have a core theme in common - the end of a civilization.

In Bastion, The Kid wakes up after the cataclysmic fall of The City, picking through the shattered pieces of something that was (ostensibly) great. Transistor takes place on the final day of Cloudbank's existence, before the Process factory reset everything and everyone. In Pyre, the stars are dying, and the ancient rites are coming to an end - and you directly bring about the end of the Commonwealth, yourself.

Where does that leave Hades?

We're still in Early Access, and I certainly haven't seen all the voice lines myself, but I've noticed a trend.

In his old age, Cerberus spends more time lying down at Hades' side than standing guard at his post. Hades himself remarks that he is far, far weaker than he used to be. All the ancient heroes are dead and in the Underworld, from Achilles to Orpheus. Any time a non-godly figure or monster is referenced, it's in the past tense - the living world is barren of myths, or at least any that were passed down to us.

The glory days are over.

Is the Greek pantheon itself near the end of its existence? The fact that it's winter outside when Zag escapes, but Persephone is very much not in the Underworld shows that something is very obviously wrong.

Here's my thinking:

It's our world after a nuclear winter, and/or Persephone is dead, gone, or transformed into something irretrievable. That explains why it's Winter out, Hades's sore spot every time she comes up, and, most importantly, why she isn't helping Zag get through the underworld like her family. It would also explain Demeter's non-appearance; she's distraught over the void left by her daughter.

Anyone else notice the theme of unrequited love?

That's the most naively charitable description of Hades and Persephone's relationship. It's continued through Orpheus and Eurydice's relationship in the game, I get the feeling Zag has a thing for Meg, and Dusa clearly has a thing for Zag.

I wonder how that will tie into the overall plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Meiteron posted:

One of the lingering issues of run progression I've found is that enemy health goes way up from the third region onwards and way more enemies start with armor as well. Zeus and Dionysus boons can get you up to the third, but then their efficacy drops off a very high cliff. It's fine to make enemies scale, but certain boons just can't keep up even if you invest in them.

You can still make Zeus work sort of through appropriate pom upgrades and buffing the raw attack power but Poison is pretty much a trap as a sole source of damage.

Zeus's AOE is pretty good once its bumped enough. Jolt makes it a lot more powerful. His lightning bolt on attack blessing seems like it stacks with other attack blessings, like Artemis's arrow blessing, so getting both is a solid damage increase.

Poison works well with the blessing that makes poison do +100% damage in Festive Fog and the hammer upgrade for the rail gun that turns it into a shotgun. Shooting 5 bullets at a time means enemies hit max poison stacks on the first attack.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Aphrodite's cast can nuke groups of weaker enemies really quickly, and Poseidon's is understandably good at getting some distance and slamming enemies around. Last night I had a Zeus upgrade to Dionysus's festive fog that turned it into a lightning cloud that wasn't super effective but was a lot of fun. It's sometimes hard to remember cast is a thing, but it can be very effective if used properly.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I had two wins in a row last night, first with the bow, then with the railgun. Both times I felt like I wasn't getting boons that fit the weapons, but somehow they all combined to be absolute world enders. With the bow, I had Hera's aspect, Festive Fog, Aphrodite's weak on special and extra damage on weak, and Poseidon's slam on attack. Between all of them bosses melted. My railgun run was crit heavy with Artemis, but focused so heavily on Dionysus and Poseidon that I got their duo boon, which loving rules: all boons from that one on are Epic rarity or higher.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

Multishield is even better at it than the bow, in my experience, even with the base level with 2 shields. The ricochets will go around terrain and obstacles that block the bow's spread shot, and hit the same enemy multiple times.

If you get the hammer boon that makes shield ricochet 6 times off of enemies, the multi shield throw gets downright silly.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

Knockback damage for trash mobs, Zeus duo for single target dps

Rupture is really good for taking advantage of the darkness mirror ability that deals extra damage if 2 or more status effects are in an enemy. It lasts a good while. Having a damage tick every 0.2 seconds is pretty nice, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eraflure posted:

And yeah, can't go wrong with the Chaos Shield, it's just a very well rounded weapon and you can't really get a bad run with it if you build it properly.

I see what you did there.

Athena's dash is my favorite. Being able to deflect quickly and taking a good chunk of the risk out of dashing.