Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CJacobs posted:

Sword's got versatility. It's not especially good at anything but it's also not especially bad. The main combo is great for stacking DOTs because you can turn the 3 hit into a 4 hit with the dash attack, and the AOE on the special is affected by any boon in that slot. The thrust at the end of the main combo also does a huge shove on enemies that can be pushed around (and Asterius).

Basically, Poseidon Poseidon Poseidon. Smash enemies into all the barriers.

Picked this game up yesterday and my best run so far was a Daedalus Hammer to upgrade the Sword special attack, then the Poseidon special attack boon that increased knockback, then another Poseidon boon that I think added a DOT effect to your special, and just spamming that. So :same:

Game's very fun but I need to not fall into the trap that I fell into on Bastion, where the game puts a bunch of weapons in front of me and I just stick with the default weapon unless forced to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ApplesandOranges posted:

The game incentives you to switch around by giving a different weapon each run a bonus to Darkness gained.

Oh it does? I haven't unlocked any of the other weapons yet, I'll have to save some keys for those. Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Woo beat the Hydra on my first encounter with it :toot: Can't wait to follow that run up by face-planting in Tartarus when I forget that I'm using the Bow instead of the Sword.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Just unlocked the Spear, seems pretty good!

When people talk about doing builds focused around a specific God or two, what's the reasoning behind that? I get that each God has a theme for all of their boons, but while they have similar effects they don't feel like they're really complementary at first glance, at least on paper. As far as I can tell there isn't, for example, a Zeus boon that buffs all of your Lightning damage, something that would be better the more Zeus boons you picked up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tetrabor posted:

Some starter tips:
-Keys and Darkness for the Mirror of Night are critical for getting that first win, make sure you're choosing rooms that give those when starting out, try and unlock the mirror at least up to the "Privileged Status" talent.

-There are unexplained 'Green' talents in the Mirror of Night, you'll find the buttons to change them on the left side of their name.

-Gifting each God one nectar is important for unlocking Keepsakes, don't focus on any one deity until you've given all gods a nectar.

-The first tab on the contractor menu is most important for improving gameplay (and they will state their benefits specifically), use your diamonds and gemstones on that menu first.

-Always check the merchant after every run, the limited-time deals can really save you time in gathering resources.

-God Keepsakes (Ones that will make them appear and increase their boon rarity) only work once, so switch out to a different keepsake at the next biome.

I've come to realize there's still a lot of obtuse systems in Hades, which is a shame given how good it is once you get the hang of it.

These are good to know, thanks for this and also thanks to everyone who answered my question about focusing on one or two gods per run.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Early on, should I just be rolling with whatever weapon has the 20% Darkness bonus each time in order to build up Mirror bonuses more quickly?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is there something that I need to do to get Demeter to start showing up on runs? I'm one run 8 or 9 and haven't seen any of her boons.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I dont know how many runs it was until I figured out that your asset colliding with enemy assets doesn't actually do any damage unless they're in the right part of their attack animation. I dont know why I spent so long assuming it was like a sonic game where just brushing past an enemy would kill me but I did

This was my big A-ha moment with the Hydra last night, that you can dash through its heads and necks so long as you're not dashing through their attack hit boxes. Definitely gives you more space in that cramped arena.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Asterius, is there a trick for getting him to collide with a solid object? He seems to have increased maneuverability when it comes to Pillars, do I just need to lure him into a wall?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Me last night, standing in front of Tartarus boss door: OK, quick Meg fight and I can go to bed.

Me immediately after walking through said door: huh, that's not Meg.

Didn't die but came way closer than I care to admit!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Dyz posted:

Does Tis always appear before Alecto?

I have no idea who Tis is but I sure know who Alecto is now so I'm gonna say...no?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If I'm comfortable taking the health hit at that given moment, should I always be going through Chaos Gates when they appear? My basic evaluation for them up to this point has been "will I have > 50% health when I leave Chaos's realm?" Or am I better off taking a regular door out of a room if it has a reward that syncs with my current build?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I keep seeing people talk about fishing and I have no idea how you unlock it. I'm 10 runs in and my farthest run is the Elysium boss, is this something that I get after my first clear or something?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

You get it from the contractor.
You might need to buy some other things first, for it to show up. But you'll know which one it is when it does show up.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It costs I want to say a diamond from the house contractor?

Ah yeah, the only thing I've been able to spend diamonds on so far is freeing Orpheus. Darn, guess I need to play this game some more!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
After three runs ended by Asterius I finally broke that streak by dying before the Elysium boss in a really stupid way.

What's the right way to use the God trinkets? I started a run with some trinket but got two Zeus boons in Tartarus, so I decided to switch to Zeus's trinket for Asphodel and lean into the build. Didn't see a Zeus boon for a few rooms but when I did one of my options was his Legendary boon (which kicked rear end). But it feels like it would have been more efficient to start the run with a trinket like that instead?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

eke out posted:

Sounds like you pretty much have it figured out.

They're a way to reduce RNG somewhat and let you pursue specific builds a lot more reliably, especially for the basic boons (e.g. you can pretty consistently go "I'd like to do rail with zeus on attack" and get it early each time, though you may have to reroll once). Also lets you fill in holes in your build, like if you realize you don't have a dash going into Asphodel, put on Athena or Poseidon and get a good one.

Weird thing though, once I put it on the next boon that I found was from Hermes, with the Zeus boon coming after that. But I also get the impression that the Hermes boons are a little different from the other gods.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally trying out Zeus Attack + Rail for the first time, y'all weren't kidding about it. Zeus Attack + Fists the run before felt really good too even though I lost the run in a really boneheaded way.

Picked up a Rail Hammer with the following choices:
Ricochet Fire (Attack bounces to 1 extra enemy)
Piercing Fire (Attack pierces enemies, 50% more damage to Armor)
Delta Chamber (Attack is a three-round burst, no need to reload)

I sat there for a minute until I took Piercing Fire because Armor annoys the hell out of me, but honestly they all sounded good. What would you have taken?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Make sure to use keys to unlock mirror talents ASAP, and eventually you will get the option to swap talents for alternate modes. For a game that is incredibly good about signposting most things, those options are easily missed (the buttons will appear on the left side of the mirror menu)

I'll second this, it took me a long time to notice the talent swap buttons on the mirror.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally got out of Elysium :toot: And then died two encounters later but who cares.

Now I can spend Titan Blood too! Better to use it evenly among all the weapons while I'm still in the part of the game where I'm taking the +20% Darkness weapon on each run, or dump it all into whatever I think will give me the best chance at a Clear?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mr. Lobe posted:

Look at the weapon bonuses and invest in bonuses you think you'd actually benefit from. Some of them never appealed to me personally. Looking at you, every shield special bonus

Each weapon only has its Aspect of Zagreus available, even though two others are listed. Do I have to buy the first one to unlock the others?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You can unlock them as soon as you unlock the Rail (the final weapon)

Oh I figured it out, the little tab in the Aspect menu is how you spend Blood, not by confirming on the larger text box. Thanks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yo the Chiron Bow whips, I don't think I have a particularly efficient setup but I somehow walked into Styx with 90% health and both of my Death Defiances intact. Getting a Hammer for extra Special arrows probably has something to do with that.

I can do this. I can do this.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ahhhhhhh of course it's a two-phase boss battle :negative: So close to my first clear, Styx is legit nerve-wracking.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

lmao I remember this feeling. my first time against Hades I was like “gently caress yes!!!!!.....oh wait that’s not gonna be it is it”

Yeah, he felt a little too easy at first. Oh well. It felt like a drat good build at least, Chiron Bow with a bunch of Artemis and Poseidon and a bit of Aphrodite. I even got two duo boons right before the final fight but they weren't quite enough.

Is there a different approach to setting up a build for "let's see how far I can get and how much stuff I can collect" vs "OK, this time I'm definitely getting out"? Is it in the initial pre-run setup, or in dodging rooms with crafting/unlock material rewards as much as possible?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

Definitely agree with you there. It’s easier to make use of calls etc when he isn’t constantly disappearing. Plus you can hug your dad to negate the lasers

Wait what

Gonna have to try that next time, I already have a Sword run up to Styx after losing that Bow run earlier.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Mods! Can't we make these gangtags?

Only if we can get this thread the No You Shut The gently caress Up Dad tag from E/N.

I don't actually know if Hades does a face turn once you beat the game because I've lost the final encounter twice today :negative:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Woof, just beat Elysium with 4 Health and Strong Drink among my boons. That was nerve-wracking, hopefully saving on that Death Defiance will put me over the edge this time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tom Tucker posted:

The gun just doesn’t work for my style it seems. Ah well more practice!

Gun works really well with anything that procs per hit or with status effects that stack. Zeus and Dionysus on regular attack really jacks up your DPS, and I like any Artemis boons that give you extra critical hit %.

E: ffffffffff three runs in a row now ended by the final boss :( Took your advice to stick close to him when doing the lasers in part 2, but didn't realize that he starts doing 360 lasers at low health. Do I just hide behind a pillar and cross my fingers when that happens?

Picked up that third Death Defiance though, maybe that's what I need?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 22, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sanctum posted:

The gun is good because artemis' support fire is completely overpowered with the gun, rapid firing those homing arrows everywhere. Don't need to get some multi-boon synergy, just that one boon. I've noticed support fire doesn't activate multiple times for the spinning shield or blade boons, it's just one arrow per enemy hit on cast/special. But for the rail you get an arrow for every bullet that hits an enemy.

I was doing a Rail run and picked up Support Fire in Styx, can confirm it was rad as hell with the Rail. Maybe next time I do a Rail run I should try Dio + Artemis for better single-enemy DPS, I keep doing Zeus with the Rail which is great for normal rooms but less good on bosses.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally got that first clear :toot: Love 2 stack Hangover

How many clears do you need in order to see credits? I thought I heard that you get the credits sequence twice?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The answer to literally every question in this game is "Do another run and give everyone Nectar"

Yeah I haven't given everyone a first shot of Nectar yet. I'm taking it every time it shows up as a room reward but it feels kind of rare.

Looking at the remaining slots on my Charm locker, you can definitely give Nectar and Ambrosia to Persephone, right?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Doomykins posted:

Yeah and Persephone yields one of the best keepsakes in the game imo.

Do you need to talk to them a certain number of times before that option becomes available? I just had my second convo with them and I didn't see an option to give the Nectar that I had. Then again I know that the button prompts can sometimes be a tad finicky.

E: Second clear in a row too :toot: I thought I saw someone badmouthing the Achilles Spear earlier but it was pretty sweet on this run. Throw spear, bull rush to spear, backstab victim of initial spear was good on regular enemies and amazing on bosses. Had Ares and Aphrodite as my special and attack boons and took any boon that extended their status effect durations to really lean on Privileged Status.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 23, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sanctum posted:

I tried the chiron bow with drunken flourish as someone suggested and was surprised how fast hades died. Felt like I wasn't doing any damage and then the fight ended.

Speaking of dionysus, guess you can 'empty' the pool of possible boons leading to:

Chiron Bow with Dio Attack + Special was my very first clear. Plus the Hammer upgrade that gives you more arrows per Special, it was pretty rad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are the pro strats for the Shield? I finally tried it for the first time after 20 runs and a couple of clears, I managed to get halfway through the final boss with it but I felt like I did so in spite of my weapon choice. The only attack that felt good was the bull rush, but even that didn't do as much damage as I would have liked and I would sometimes end up in an awkward spot after rushing. I also didn't realized that the regular attack has a bunch of knockback, should I be looking for Poseidon boons with this weapon?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dionysus is good on the Rail's normal attack, right? That's my current Darkness bonus weapon and I'm thinking of running Dio + Rail since Hangover was so good on the Chiron Bow's special for me previously.

Finicums Wake posted:

here's how i cleared 32 heat w/ shield: start with aspect of chaos (buffs your special after bull rush), zeus keepsake (so you can upgrade your special with your first boon), and the skelly companion if you have it.

you start with the zeus boon that upgrades your special, and take advantage of the aspect of chaos as much as possible. zeus boons stack with each other really well, so i aim for those when i see them.

i virtually never choose a non-poseidon boon for my attack, sometimes leaving it unbuffed until i can switch to the poseidon keepsake between levels and get it that way. using your bull rush and knock back from poseidon boons to slam enemies into walls is really important, especially in elysium and styx, imo. the zeus/poseidon duo boon is very good, but the build works fine without it.

the following chain does a good deal of dps to single targets: bull rush -> dash attack (through enemy, leaving you behind them) -> (turn around to face their back) special

if you land cast on them before that, the mirror bonuses end up adding a ton of damage

despite your aspect's focus on your special, you still spend a lot of time dash attacking and weaving out of fights so you can block some poo poo and bull rush back in. and, in boss fights, never forget: for many of the bosses' attacks you can turtle behind your shield while charging bullrush. sometkmes just waiting for them to finish attacking your shield to get some dps in is all you need

Thanks. I was surprised at how the Shield could block seemingly every attack so long as it was coming at you head on. Even the lasers on the final boss!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Psycho Landlord posted:

You want Zeus. I was advised of this earlier in the thread, tried it , and it was loving incredible.

Dio's real good for the special though

I've done Zeus on Rail attack once or twice and it's really good against mobs but feels less good against bosses. My thinking with Dio is that it's probably still good against mobs, especially with a decent Special or Cast, but way better on bosses by keeping them poisoned all the time.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Garrand posted:

Yeah, I might be wrong but the lightning attack doesn't really scale with anything. Dio you can duo with ares or aphrodite for either faster ticks or more max stacks (I had a really nice run where I got both). I've definitely had more successful completions with Dionysus than with Zeus attack if I haven't picked up a call or cast that will carry me. Even Ares, getting the stacking doom and doom + weak for repeated ticks as well although that does require getting a few more required boons for that setup.

I did Spear with Aphro Attack + Ares special on my last clear, I took the boon that makes Doom deal more damage but take longer to activate to really milk Privileged Status. Highly recommended, even if I don't like Ares boons that much.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dio rail update: got pretty dang close to my first deathless clear, even for what I thought ended up as a sub-optimal build. Put Dio on Attack but couldn't find a status-creating boon for my Special, and ended up settling for Demeter on Dash to at least get enemies with Chill. Build still rocked in the moment and it melted each boss.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 27, 2021

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Impending Doom (Doom does more damage but takes longer to trigger) is fun for Privileged Status. My first Spear clear was Achilles Spear + Doom Special + Weakness Attack so I would just go
Throw Spear
Bullrush through target
Backstab target until they turn around
Repeat

I threw it together in the moment and it probably could have been even better with something like Dio Attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
TIL that there are no i-frames on the Sword special, at least not without some Hammer upgrade that I have yet to see. What a wet fart of a run, I was so excited to get Poseidon Special for some crowd control but I may have doomed myself by taking a "slower attack that deals more damage" Hammer in the very first room. Oh well!

When I got back I unlocked the Spear's Hidden Aspect but I'm not entirely sure what the trigger was :confused: I'll take it though.