Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Do you need to increase heart level for characters to get new dialog opportunities? Especially as it relates to side stories developments. I know that gifts can get you items but also wondering if it also is necessary to get new storylines or develop existing ones like Eurydice and Orpheus

Yes, some events are locked behind bond level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Waffle! posted:

I got this on Switch a few days ago and I'm having a blast. Game rules.

What's a good trinket strategy? I don't have them all yet, but been running Coin Purse on floor 1, Feather Duster on 2, and Skully's Tooth on floor 3. Been working out pretty good so far.

God's trinket on floor 1 to set up a specific strategy (maybe even for floor 2). Depending on your health, Evergreen accorn that negates instances of damage for boss battles may be worth it more in the last couple floors(especially the last one).
If you are running a defensive build, Achilles' trinket can trivialize most of the encounters

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Jossar posted:

I kind of don't think this one's ever worth it. Maybe if you're at super high heat and have already gotten used to the patterns, but for the most part I plan to grab my codex entries and the prophecy and then leave it alone.

It's nearly impossible to get hit if you have the shield, though it takes a while. Also, if you have ranged attacks and any kind of deflect you can play risk free, since you can hit him and just bounce his fireballs once in a while. If you are using sword/fists, that takes some actual effort and attention to patterns.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

The railgun so far to me feels the worst. The little moments of downtime for reloads really add up and make my runs with it feel frustrating in comparison to the other weapons.

If you get the triple bombs and any good Special Boon, it feels easy mode to me. Or Getting Zeus on Attack and the bounce eff.. Any application of Demeter freeze or perhaps a festive fog helps with crowd control and piling damage.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Monglo posted:

What's the best dash Boon you like most?
For me, I rarely go without the Reflect dash, it's so OP, allows you to to dash through anything without losing health and usually reflects enemy attack back without me trying.

Generally, I either aim for Athena for deflect or Poseidon for damage and pushback. Demeter is decent utility one if I want to pile on more status effects and freeze has a good immediate effect that lasts and piels on easily. After that, any dash I pick is either filler to pick up boons that have it as requirement or just to get extra damage from number of gods you have boons of.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Is Aphrodite's Aid the best one? The others all seem to be hard to control. Hers is just summon = 2500 boom and done. And on stage 3 boss they beat on each other for a while, as a bonus.

The only one I would just say is not great is Ares. Also, you need to consider Partial calls as well. A reliable damage dealer to clear some annoying mobs or finish minibosses faster can make quite the difference. Auto-refill of gauze, even if capped at 25% can give you an extremely potent action every few seconds with little effort, even if you are just hiding/dodging.
Athena and Poseidon are the most abusable, Demeter is good for the chill and damage, Zeus and Dionysus are nice reliable damage and Aphrodite has massive damage at full, but while charm is a strong eff, single target kinda hurts. Similar for Artemis, can be huge damage, but single projectile makes makes it not that great outside of bosses

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

Congratulations on becoming besties with Dusa! I know that took a lot of ambrosia, but it was definitely worth it in the end

That one actually was a twist I did not see coming.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Hmmm, according to some things I'm reading online there is a funky interaction if you take last stand after you spend your stubborn defiance. I'll need to experiment.

It still woks in this version.
If you have stubborn defiance, use up one in a room and then take one of Athena's defiance repelnishing boons, you will ow have two defiances. And the Stubborn defiance is used up first so you can still die once per room with no issue.
It's a good trick to use in high heat, since you will likely aim for athena and her dash, sure footing and such.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm confused - I just equipped Overflowing Cup after I cleared Tartarus, but the first boon I got was Hermes. Shouldn't it have been Dionysus?

Hermes run independent from other gods. It's like when you equip a god trinket but get a Hammer in Tartarus first screen.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

Well, gently caress. So basically the rng can make your trinket practically useless, that's real cool.

No, you will force at least one appearance, it just won't be the VERY first always.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

What item are people using for em4 runs? I’ve been using spearpoint for hades but I’m thinking of changing it up next time
Almost always a god to set-up boons for the first two levels. Elysium, possibly the cthonic purse if I need money or the defensive items since enemy damage ramps up.
For styx, usually, the acorn. It saves more health than extra defiance by Skelly. Hades call for burst damage builds and not having had chances to get a good call in the way.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i thought fists + ares was the ultimate omae wa mo shindeiru build, but it turns out its fists + hangover

full on drunken boxing

It's Ares + Dionysus. Ares on special, Dio on attack, and the Duo Boon on top of it all. It's magnificent.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

crepeface posted:

iirc you don't need a Doom effect to get the Duo so the dream is Aphro on special and Ares on Cast or something so you can get both Hangover Duo Boons. Icing is Artemis Call for her Hangover Duo boon/Support Fire/Homing Blades.

If you do not take Ares attack or Special, I think only his Vengeance boon can trigger the Duo, while aphrodite can have either the cast or the Dash aside from the attacks. But either of the duos makes the build extremely viable.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Game's fun enough but I could do without the Harry Potter headcanon poo poo vis a vis Greek myth

I prefer being inspired by the myth and writing a new fable so to speak (since greek myths had revisions constantly in BC era anyway) than shallow accuracy (like AssCreed)

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Hizawk posted:

I don't see how any call is better than Charm. It just breaks all boss battles, which is where it seems is the only time you really need to use the call.

There is the issue of how a call can be invaluable in clearing rooms as well, and Aphrodite is not great for that. Poseidon is great damage and invulnerability, Demeter is long lasting AoE that hinders, Zeus is great damage and can lead to Billowing Strength which is amazing, Athena straight up lets you ignore everything for longer. And they all have great value either for a normal or a full call, on normal encounters and bosses.
Aphrodite call loses it's charm at higher heats.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I think its safe to say Im never going to beat EM4 with forced overtime 2. What a nightmare of a combo

I always grab an invincibility call under such conditions and never turn down demeter.
Extra dashes with Hermes to just get the gently caress out of there is also something worth rolling for.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

After careful study it is my objective conclusion that absolutely nothing can make Nemesis sword work :buddy:

Athena and Artemis keepsakes for Tartarus and Asphodel to get Artemis attack and/or dash strike and Athena boons for inflicting exposed is consistent enough to get a lot of backstab crits . If you get Flourish for the special to also grab deadly reversal, even better.

Aphrodite also works for heart rend. If you happen to grab double edge, things are made much, much easier.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I tried the Artemis thing, with her on both Attack and Special and Aphrodite on dash. The Theseus fight took nearly four minutes to complete because DPS was so bad I could chop away at them for ages -- with Flurry Slash, and even Clean Kill to enhance the crits -- with barely any effect. The Hades fight was even more embarrassing...tried to whittle down his summons at first, and then decided to just try to take out Dad first because that was taking too long, except it also took forever to do anything to him, I had over three hundred health and all three DDs at the beginning of the fight and by the time he summoned Dog I was down to the last bar. Not actually because he was hitting me all that much, but because the fight was going so long I was gonna eat those hits at some point through pure causality.

(I play consistently at 20 Heat; not humblebragging, I definitely, absolutely suck a lot of the time, but maybe the stuff that works at lower tiers don't quite cut it after a certain point. I dunno.)

It'd be better to have something status inducing on special. Privileged status is a huge increase in dps.. Pomming the attack to raise it is significant, since even a rare one stuck at 1 level will fall out by elysium.
If you crit a pathetic base damage , it obviously will not amount to much. Standing in front of enemies and swinging for little better than the base sword damage will not yield damage.

The best options for special to compliment the build would be Demeter(slow enemies are easier to circle around and backstab too), Athena(if you can go to exposed), Ares (doom can contribute to damage) and Dionysus if you have nothing else. Technically, Poseidon and Zeus can also get status effs applied, but it requires at least 2 boons and the effect you get out of it is not as devastating as Athena's for such a build. I managed to outpace Hades' healing with it in EM4, so it has a higher ceiling than you'd think.

Still, I would pick Arthur for a run 9/10, that sword is too much fun.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Tetrabor posted:

This is my problem with Ares, his boons are split down the middle and they are not synergetic with each other. Dash+Cast Blade Rift builds are insane if you can land all the boons for it, letting you drain boss and enemy health bars like Hangover on steroids.
But they sure as hell don't work with Doom and you bet Ares is going to push that crap on you for the majority of his appearances.

Yeah, I would not advise trying to focus on an Ares build without having some rerolls for boons.
You only need 3 boons to make cast rift build come alive(out of Black Vortex, Engulfing, Hunting Blades, his legendary and any of the chaos boons that affects casts/damage), but trying to grab them from Ares can be very trying. It's why so many people suggest builds that only need a couple boons and then pomming them to come alive(sometimes, not even in a specific slot, but rather to trigger duos or privileged status). Whenever it comes online though, I have obliterated everything with absolutely no risk. It's hilarious. Building calls instantly and triggering them for damage/or invisibility every 2 seconds led to my first no damage Hades fight.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Still thinking about this run from last night-

Started with the Zeus trinket to try and get his Special like someone suggested, instead I got that Poseidon Legendary in the very first chamber. Eventually found Zeus, then three Aphrodite boons in four rooms and had Sweet Nectar by the time I left Asphodel. Then I got Sea Storm in Elysium and I don't think there was any doubt after that (and even then Sea Storm felt kind of wasted on this build). First Shield clear and first deathless clear :toot:

I still haven't figured out how you're "supposed" to use Aphrodite but she's been great as a secondary god when I don't know how else to get Privileged Status going.

On attack for slow attacks or specials for the damage(can lead to significant chunks) and loading up her cast on Hera/beowulf. Complimentary on your secondary attack slot (like sword or fist special, or attack for chiron, for example) to trigger privileged status is good, as you mentioned. Depending on how far you have progressed your mirror, you may also need to consider Duo boons for your runs. Aphrodite has some very potent ones (heart rend is top tier).

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Sad Panda posted:

Up to 24 heat. Nothing more complicated than Hestia turning attack into a shotgun (often with aphrodite for the highest attack boost) + privileged status with anything else and hoping for a 300% special hammer.

What's that build?

Ares Cast, then you try to get Black Metal (rifts are bigger), Engulfing vortex (last longer and pull foes in) and VIcious Cycle (Legendary, rifts do more damage) plus any ways to get extra casts or cast damage(like from chaos). Artemis duo is also good for the build. Since they are not casts that lodge, you usually take Achilles Spear. If you get the Legendary, Engaulfing and/ or extra casts, the damage piles up so much it's ridiculous. Also builds full call in a manner of seconds, which can be another great source of damage.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Do you have the Shattered Shackle unlocked and max rank? At 100% damage it is the best thing to put on Excalibur aspect. Aphrodite attack only adds 50% base damage (and the weak status condition) and Artemis attack functionally adds 50% base damage as well (20% plus a 15% chance to do 200%). Excalibur just does not hit enough times to justify proccing status effects, you want pure damage. Never take a boon on your attack, and maybe never take one on your special unless it adds a lot of damage and works really well, and watch enemies melt. Plus without worrying about attack or special you get to play with fun boons you might not normally prioritize.

Note that Shattered Shackle only checks for a boon in the slot - so Chaos boons or Ares' Urge to Kill both increase your attack and special without negating the shackle.

50%for Aphrodite common. Which you can keep pomming. Or get a better rarity in most cases when you have her keepsake and/or mirror bonuses. Similar for Artemis. Shackle is plenty strong and good enough to finish the game, but you can outperform it easily.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

The universal truth of every video game ever made is that shield enemies are bullshit.

Forced overtime 2 Elysium archers are the worst mob in the game.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

All of them have specific conditions that need to be met before you can give them Ambrosia. They vary between characters. For Aphrodite, you have to romance all the romanceable characters.

Pretty sure it's just 1 that is necessary

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

indigi posted:

I don’t even really know how to use the companions. I just rock with Skelly for the penultimate Lernie stage and Hades first EM4 stage if I remember. I’m not certain what the other ones do (besides Dusa who is cute but not very effective)

Different ways/areas of effect to do damage except for Bouldy, who drops money/health/shadow too.
They can be very useful for knocking a phase of a boss or miniboss (early minibosses almost die).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I've not found it any more challenging than any of the other Styx minibosses

If you are going for speedy runs and/or running out of time due to heat, it's one that takes the longest, due to health pool and teleporting. Even with great builds, it is still an obstacle in that regard.