Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The sword's lifesteal effect seems like it can break the game. I cheesed Elysium on my first try, but got my rear end kicked by the boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Double post somehow

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
When you get a double boon room, does the first god you pick give better rewards, or are you just choosing what kind of ground effects you'll have to deal with?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
After unlocking all weapons and everything on the mirror, keys are just used for resetting mirror talents and trading to the Wretched Broker, right? Does the cost of resetting talents go up if I do it more than once?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got this during the summer sale and made 39 attempts without beating it. Anyone think I should start a new file?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Anyone else’s depraved lust for achievements and prophecies lead them to playing suboptimally sometimes? The achievement for using a god’s major fall against them seems very RNG dependent, so I tried to get it at the first opportunity. Getting a call ability from a god and having that god show up in a trial later seems like a rare confluence, and between then you probably need a boon that helps fill your God Gauge or you’re likely to beat the trial before you can fill it. I didn’t have one when the first opportunity came up, so I let myself get hit and used a death defiance or two to get it.
The god gives you a special angry voice line when you do it, which is fun :)

I also purged a legendary boon for the achievement, the Artemis one that gave you extra cast charges. I had to find two purge wells and use one of my reroll tokens. Casting wasn’t a huge part of my build, but also I died to Hades when it may have helped, so I’m glad I don’t “have to” do it again.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I beefed a promising run halfway through Hades’ second phase last night. I had the Chiron bow, specials that cause doom, the trait that causes doom to stack, and a hammer buff that adds shots to special. I also had a bunch of extra dodges and two traits making filling the god meter for Demeter’s call easy. Winning it would have gotten me the prophecy for beating Hades with every mirror trait and the special Chaos quest for bringing his egg to the fight. I could have gone back to using Death Defiance and healing on entering a new chamber.

The hitbox of those pillars and Hades’ beam blossom is hard to read :sigh:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If I’m trying to spend my Titan’s Blood to get prophecies done ASAP, I have to unlock each aspect, spend 5 blood total on a weapon (besides the spear) to get the opportunity unlock its hidden aspect, and max out the Zagreus sword aspect for a certain character quest. Is that it?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What’s the decision process when choosing a reward from Eurydice?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My current sub-optimal thing I’m doing is trying to fight Charon twice for the Hermes quest. I’ve fought him once and lost in ~60 runs. As I understand, you can only steal from him from a mid-Asphodel/Elysium shop, and those don’t generally don’t seem worth it unless I’m in need of healing or I’m flush with cash.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Monglo posted:

Hey, can someone tell me what is the upside of having the mirror blessing that gives you a single refreshing death defiance, instead of having 3 extra for the run, which I always gravitated towards?
Does it have any unique Boons? I know I've been playing for quite a while and still haven't unlocked all the gods' Boons. Maybe I'm missing some unique ones that go with different mirror perks?

As has been said, it’s good if you’re using heat modifiers that make non-boss encounters hard, allowing you potentially more uses per run.

Items and buffs that would replenish multiple death defiances instead make your single death defiance restore more health.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Dr Christmas posted:

My current sub-optimal thing I’m doing is trying to fight Charon twice for the Hermes quest. I’ve fought him once and lost in ~60 runs. As I understand, you can only steal from him from a mid-Asphodel/Elysium shop, and those don’t generally don’t seem worth it unless I’m in need of healing or I’m flush with cash.

I just got my first Charon kill the second time fighting him! And speaking of suboptimal, it was a mid-Asphodel run with Forced Overtime giving the 20% speed boost and a Chaos curse increasing damage received by 27%! He could kill me in two hits.

I used the Hera bow and trying out with having my blood stones automatically returned. I had Ares’ blade rift cast, and the dual boon with Artemis that caused it to seek enemies. This helped me focus on dodging and slowly snipe him down. I entered the fight with full health in the mid-one hundreds, and left having used all my Death Defiance and one hit away from death.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I recently got screwed in a fun way using the anvil on the Eris gun, which gives you a damage buff for hitting yourself in your special’s explosion. It gave me the buff that increases the size and strength of your special, but makes it harm you.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had a fun run where I used the Rama bow and got an early hammer that increased special projectiles and Dionysus hangover on special. I could use the bow like a shotgun and apply maximum hangover stacks in one hit. I managed to beat Charon with this without it hampering my run. You have two wins and two losses against him now, unfortunately not consecutive wins for the Hermès quest.

Later, I also got the duo Dionysus buffs with Artemis and Aphrodite for increased crit against hungover enemies and increased hangover stacks against weak enemies. The only problem is I had to use dash to apply weak, which was less than ideal for the bow.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The piercing upgrade for the Lucifer rail makes setting up orb explosions much easier since you’re not having to chose between targeting an enemy or the orb.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got every boon last night on my 85th run! I also got every shield hammer buff from an anvil. Now all I need are two gun buffs and the item that makes flame wheels disappear, and those will just appear when they do regardless of me taking mirror traits and keepsakes I otherwise want.

I think I beat the secret boss twice in a row for the bet with Hermes, but there was no progress on the prophecy. Do I have to fight him on two consecutive runs or make sure I don’t pass up an opportunity or anything? I could just be misremembering.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Martman posted:

I'm playing on Switch so I don't have achievements, but is there one for selling the same Duo ability twice in one run? 'Cause that feels weird and wrong but also I'm rich!!

There is one for selling a legendary boon, and I think duos count for it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If you’re a depraved freak like me who wants to optimize spending blood to complete prophecies and achievements as soon as possible before spending it on upgrades:

-Unlocking every non-hidden aspect fulfills a prophecy. Unlocking 5 of them and getting to the last boss will allow Achilles to reveal the spear’s hidden aspect
-Put another two blood into every weapon other than the sword and spear, for five total, to reveal the hidden aspect. The five blood requirement isn’t required for the spear, and as for the sword:
-Put five blood into the Zagreus aspect of the sword to max it out instead of leveling up the other two, as the maxed-out Zagreus aspect is required for a character specific side quest
-Buy every hidden hidden aspect for three blood each. Reaching the final boss with with each fulfills a different prophecy, and beating the final boss with one of them gives an achievement

Once you’re done with that, you’re “free” to spend blood however you like.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 6, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I want to start working with Extreme Measures in my runs, but Tisiphone can say my name now, and I want to see where that goes. Meg and Alecto have each made a comment and then both run out of interesting things to say, so it’s annoying that I keep getting them.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Hilarious mid-fight dialogue with the final boss I got last night. Might only come up late game because it involves a place you don’t have access to right away:

If only you cleaned your chambers with the ferocity with which you fight!

Better than your dull chambers.

My chambers are not dull!

They are dull, I say!

Another unique dialogue I discovered: If you buy the Yarn of Ariadne, which helped Theseus navigate the labyrinth, and bring it to him, you get a unique bit of dialogue. It upgrades the next boon you receive, so you have to buy it and then not receive boons until the fight.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 6, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Hwurmp posted:

do Anvils ever do anything besides mortally punish you for your hubris

I used one and it got me the last traits I needed for an “every hammer trait” prophecy!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Should I get the mirror trait that increases rare boon chance or the one that gives a greater chance for golden laurel rewards? I thought consensus was the former was best, but after getting every legendary and duo boon and switching back to it, I feel like I’m getting less cool stuff overall.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
100 runs in, people seem to be running out of things to say, and I’m facing an annoying confluence of story stuff: Nyx fires Dusa. This is quite a few runs after the conversations in which she reprimanded her for being too chummy with Zagreus, so I didn’t expect it to happen. If know she’ll come back eventually, but Nyx has been spending so much time with Chaos that I can’t get it to move along. You can’t summon Dusa with her Cthonic Companion while this is happening.

I got the thing for beating the secret boss on two consecutive attempts, after what I think was the third one, and I’m going to keep trying him every so often so I can fill out the codex entry for the item he gives you. I lost a run because I beat him in Tartarus only using one Death Defiance, but in doing so used up all my time :downs:

What is a spoiler for this anyway? The final boss and things that come after obviously. Is the secret boss a spoiler? The third boss? The way they switch up the first boss after several runs?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If you choose a boon that replaces another, it upgrades its rarity. Does it also keep any levels you’ve gained?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Damage Control can be barely noticeable if your build involves lots of quick, smaller hits.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

metasynthetic posted:

Holy poo poo, do not gently caress with Charon. At least not when you have exactly 1 boon.

Since the item you get for beating him has a codex entry to fill out, I still feel compelled to do so after fulfilling the prophecy for beating him twice :shepicide:

It’s unforgiving, but not super bad as long as you have a ranged weapon and can generally keep your distance. And as long as you don’t have Tight Deadline on.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Final boss mid-fight dialogue, post-credits:

If only you cleaned your chambers with the ferocity with which you fight.

Better than your dull chambers!

My chambers are not dull!

They are dull, I say!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Move the cursor to the lock icon on the right side of the card for the aspect you want to unlock.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

no dlc or expansions for any other games by the studio iirc

Bastion had a small free update in which they added a new enemy gauntlet challenge, along with associated voice acting and an achievement.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 14, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Artemis’ cast, call, crit bonus for everything boob, and Support Fire when I have a fast weapon, but I’m not sure if/how to best make use of her attack or special boon. I actually lost Thanatos contests when I tried that. Once I got a bunch of dash attack hammer buffs for the spear and her bins that helped out with that, but the decreased ranged screwed me more than it helped.

Plus, I’ve been running Privileged Status, where you get a damage bonus for putting two gods’ debuffs on an enemy. The fact that her status effect is a mark on an enemy other than the one you’re attacking is annoying.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Sometimes I hear the quiet sound of men doing a "Ho-ah" grunt in the background. I've never been able to figure out what it is. It seems to happen notice it more often when I have the bow. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You should have believed in Bouldy.

Is the ambiguity bonus just you getting screwed over, or has someone taken the time to figure out if and what it buffs?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 16, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Waltzing Along posted:

Are any hammer upgrades tied to specific weapons or is it just random what pops up?

Several hammer upgrades aren’t available to certain aspects, mostly the hidden ones, and there are a few hidden aspect-only hammer upgrades. They are also often mutually exclusive with each other. If you get one that powers up the spear’s spin attack, you won’t get offered one that disables it. Can’t get both seeking and ricochet gun ammo.

The Anvil of the Fates won’t give mutually exclusive upgrades, but I don’t know exactly how it calculates it, like If if the pool gets expanded when one of the upgrades is removed.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
You need to be wearing the fists while you talk to the character who tells you about its hidden aspect. I don’t think that’s true for the other weapons.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Funky Valentine posted:

Hypnos's bond is gated behind multiple conversations with Thanatos and Nyx and holy gently caress Night Mom and Death Bro just aren't giving me them.

Same here. I’m also having a hell of a time catching Eurydice alone to give her ambrosia.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Splendid Lyre in the bedchambers page has a prophecy related to it. You end up trading a diamond for an ambrosia.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
130-some runs. I got the epilogue a while ago, so I guess now the main things left to do is, finish forging bonds, get the 32 heat reward, and then just run to do my best and unlock stuff.

All I have to do to finish forging bonds is now is unlock Aphrodite and Hypnos final hearts, then catch Eurydice alone to give her Ambrosia. I just did the last romance, so I that at least to happen soon. I’m sure I’ll be hearing everyone’s reaction to that romance soon, then it seems mostly dry on the story front, except:

Late game side plot: I heard that you can start the path to learning about Skelly’s employer by equipping his keepsake and talking to Hermes. I did, he brought it up, and I talked to Skelly about it. Next run saw no progress. Do I have to keep it equipped, switch to something else, or anything else to continue that bit?

Does Persephone come back?

Anything else to look forward to or try to trigger?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Edmond Dantes posted:

So uh, how much Ambrosia do you need in total? Because I just noticed I'm sitting at 17 and I can exchange those for Titan Blood.

If you only want to use ambrosia for upgrades, you need 66, one to get companion from each of the characters that gives you one (Achilles, Dusa, Megaera, Sisyphus, Skelly, and Thanatos), and 10 to fully upgrade each one. The upgrades are done at the keepsake cabinet and are separate from gifted ambrosia.

Every one of the 22 characters you can get a keepsake from can be gifted at least one ambrosia, and most of the non-Olympian characters take more than one. Dusa takes an increasing amount of ambrosia each time

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 27, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve been running Privileged Status for a long time, which is fun when it works, but can be annoying if you get a god like Zeus or Poseidon early on and then they disappear so you can’t get them to apply Jolted or Ruptured. It makes applying Artemis to your attack and special less attractive since she applies Marked to enemies other than your target.

So what are people’s thoughts on Privileged Status vs Olympian Favor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Got my 32 heat run finished! Removing options for boon screwed me a bit, as I had no choice but to pick an explosive shot hammer upgrade. Something that slows down your attack charge is pretty bad if you're just using the attack to set up the Chiron bow. I got chill on attack and weak on special pretty early on, so Privileged Status would have worked well if I had risked taking it.

133 runs, and I had my first trip back to the House where no one had any unique dialogue. :( I'm coming up on the end of Hypnos' affinity questline. Maybe one more Thanatos conversation should do it. There's one new little series of conversations happening that I haven't seen mentioned here: Ares is trying to get me to help him slide into Nyx's DMs. I don't know if anything is going to happen with it. I've had two conversations with Nyx where she assures me she can handle herself that were basically the same.

Now I'm turning the heat back down to a reasonable level for the ultimate challenge: Getting Eurydice's room without Orpheus there so the game will let me give her the drat ambrosia :argh:

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 31, 2020