Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I dig this game but it really feels like they went way too far with how much the meta progression matters. I’m currently at a spot where I don’t think I can reasonably unlock anything else without straight up grinding runs specifically for darkness or keys, and the last seven or eight runs, no joke, have always ended with me getting to Papa Hades’ second phase and then eating it. I tried to look up what the big streamers and YouTubers were doing to get past it and the answer simply seems to be things I haven’t unlocked yet, like better weapons thanks to the Heat challenge thing I don’t know the name of, or those assists from other characters like Sisyphus and Maegera.

I get that they wanted to make that matter more because the kinds of people who play Supergiant games aren’t really the people who sink hundreds of hours into Binding of Isaac or Spelunky, which is fine - but it really feels like my skill doesn’t even matter at this point.

Is there a good guide anywhere as to how the RNG works in this game? I feel like when I watch other people play they make comments like “I should take x now so I can get y later” and I had no clue that the boons you take affect the RNG of the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I haven’t unlocked heat levels, is the problem. I haven’t ever beaten Hades.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Yeah, Elysium is my biggest pain point. I find myself relying on stunlocking enemies a lot, which isn’t really possible when they’re armored.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Just announced in today’s Nintendo Direct that Hades is releasing on Switch TODAY. No word on what this means for the 1.0 release yet but I’m glued to Supergiant’s Twitter in hopes for news.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Does Zagrius leave behind a corpse when he dies, or does Charon (Thanatos? I'm not on top of the Greek mythos) just kick it into the Styx so it can pop out of the blood fountain.

I'm thinking of all those visits to Persephone, and how I come up, chat with her for, like, five minutes and then promptly die of a sun allergy. Is there a corpse pile or what.

How do you think her garden is so impressive?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I just unlocked my first hidden aspect, the spear

Kiiiinda underwhelmed with this thing, ngl

I don't think the game tells you anywhere that Guan Yu's spin attack projectile has lifesteal on it, so abuse that if you can. Otherwise yeah, it's weird how much effort you put into it when it's not better than Aspect of Hades at all.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’ve met the conditions to unlock both Aspect of Arthur and Orpheus and Eurydice’s reunion but I can’t proceed on either of them because every conversation I get with Nyx is about story stuff because I keep winning multiple runs in a row. I’m suffering from success.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

fashionly snort posted:

I have a definitive tier list here:

songs
The most import thing you can do w/ 5 diamonds is to unlock 'In The Blood'. After that I suggest spending diamonds in the following order:
Good Riddance
On The Coast
The Unseen Ones
Primordial Chaos

No The Painful Way or God of the Dead? poo poo tiers, I’m gonna go ask Sonicfox.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Fedule posted:

I thought I was going insane but it turns out the game plays a very characteristic "ding!" sound when a fishing point spawns in a room.

On that note, what does it mean when you hear someone exhale after you clear all the enemies?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Geemer posted:

You all need to play some animal crossing to train your fishing reflexes. I had the problem that I never got the common tier fishes because I fish too drat good.

I suck at these kinds of mini games and trained myself to fish in AC by closing my eyes and waiting for the sound. Unfortunately the same does not apply to Hades. :(

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Has Supergiant put out DLC for their games before? I don't remember hearing about any, and as much as I'd enjoy more content for this game what we have right now is so well-tuned that I'd worry about adding something that would upset that tuning.

They did a single $2 pack for Bastion that was another one of those “dream” combat arenas, focused around Rucks’ background.

Other than that they’ve said DLC isn’t really their bag. I think Kasavin said in a Reddit AMA that they didn’t design Hades with expansions in mind, and making one would require rethinking the game on both a design and engineering level - but the massive success of the game is making the team think, never say never.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

What spin dash

Hold the attack button to charge up the spin, and then instead of releasing the attack button, press the dash button.

“Hades spear is the worst spear” is... the strangest take I’ve read in here, I think. It’s how I got my first kill on both regular and Extreme Measures 4 Hades.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Hades spear is so powerful, and its spin attack so huge, you can basically clear entire rooms in Tartarus with a single attack. Buff it up with Massive Spin or Quick Spin and you have maybe the best AOE in the game.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Does Extreme Measures Final Boss ever get easier? I beat him by a hair with the Chiron bow but I was not expecting that final phase and it was seriously hard. All the other EX bosses are fine but this one genuinely feels like it'll always be a challenge.

Even with over 120 hours in this game it still feels to me like Extreme Measures 4 Hades can only be beaten if my build is the bomb dot com. You definitely get the timing on his stuff easier, but it’s just such a war of attrition.

I’d really only recommend taking it on the Pact once you start getting to heats in the high teens.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Damage Control is also free heat if you’re using the Twin Fists or Adamant Rail.

Don’t take the extra trap damage one pretty much ever, if it was more heat it might be worth it but for only one it can sit and spin. And Tight Deadline is basically free heat for the first two ranks, it may sound intimidating but unless your build is especially bad you almost always wind up clearing it just fine.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I honestly find EM1-3 to be completely free but that may be because I’ve played this game way too much. It’s maybe 5% of my runs where I don’t reach Hades with all my Death Defiances.

If anything I think EM Lernie is harder than EM Champions because there’s up to eight targets you have to keep track of instead of two, and they all spam AOE attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Omobono posted:

I think it's only sword, most other weapons wouldn't need it anyways because their attack string deals constant damage per hit or close enough.
It'd be actively detrimental on fists because their attack string has a forced ~0.5s wait at the end.

Yeah you should pretty much never let your combo string finish on fists, and dash-strike upgrades on them are always good as a result.

Unless you’re using Colossal Knuckle or something.