Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I like that boon because it seems mediocre at first glance but in practice it makes you a god of death the dead it makes you really strong

The first time I got that boon was in Tartarus.

Dad didn't know what hit him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

Can proc or dot damage crit? Zeus lightning bolts, doom, hangover, jolted, etc. If it's a per-case basis, is there a list somewhere?

Sometimes I need to know in order to decide if I should pick up artemis or something else

I believe so, thats why pressure points is so good (and such a low % compared to other skills)

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Don't sleep on Zeus shield, it's both really strong and super safe with any build that relies on triggers on hit, like Ares or Dyonisius. Also don't overlook Achilles spear, it's a very potent weapon for casting builds.

I want to like achilles spear but I just wish it worked like the normal spear where it comes back to you instead of forcing you to reposition every 4 hits/casts.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

The trick to Achilles spear is realizing that it's a cast weapon, and it's basically a bonus dash.

The problem is the animation takes a while compared to a dash and you travel further than a dash unless you aim it at a pillar or a wall, so it can't always be used in tight situations and will sometimes put you out of position. Getting deflect on it helps but some encounters dont lend themselves to these mechanics.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Your speedrun is also kinda dead if you dont get the satyr sack early

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Hmmm, a quick question about mechanics. If you have a boon that adds another source of damage on Attack/Special (ie: Ares, Zeus or Dionysus boons) the damage from it is considered independent from the actual weapon damage, right? In other words, if I get Chaos boon or an Aspect that boosts Attack/Special damage, it will not boost the damage of, for example, Doom that the Attack/Special applies on hit.

Yep

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I see all these recommendations on boons for chiron special, but havent seen Artemis suggested once.

She feels like the one of the best boons for that special. Am I missing something here?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Nybble posted:

That's around 325-350 runs just for the darkness alone, and by doing runs where you already completed the bounties? And that assumes you are taking the boosted weapon plus every darkness room reward. Dang.

Are you including chaos/poseidon boons? Those can help immensely when farming darkness.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Dio and ares have decent dashes which add a decent amount of damage to a build. Demeters is nice as well, though I hate the directional nature of it. Artemis's dash is situational but good if you are building around your dash attack.

The only dashes I would say are bad are zeus and aphrodite. For some reason they deal about half the damage of a poseidon dash which makes no sense to me.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I didnt think about the double bolt/legendary on the zeus dash, that makes it a lot better.

Still Id probably rather just take the near miss one since it does more damage. Plus its fun to dash next to the arrows in Elysium to set it off constantly.

The trick to ares is to dash back and forth so the enemies have to fight you in the rifts. Or use magnetic fists since they gel with blade rifts really well.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 20, 2020

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kawabata posted:

On a related note, I'm basically "dog in front of computer meme" when I'm choosing boons. I roughly understand what they do and I try to amass boons from the same god on the same move if I can but that's about it. Actually I stop doing it when it's getting to lvl 3-4 whenever each increment seems to be too low.

It's a bit perplexing that I can't actually see numbers like in Isaac (mod, but still). Is there a boon tier list somewhere by the way?

Honestly I can't think of too many trap boons and most synergies are really easy to grasp. There are a few hammers that feel very underwhelming or sometimes like a straight downgrade, but opinions differ on which ones. What is good usually depends on which weapon aspect you are using and your playstyle.

Most gods usually have maybe 2-3 levels of "depth" to their boon effects. I.e. you can get a boon plus 2 or 3 extra effects for it's function, most of the time.

Also every god except hermes has some sort of status they can inflict which either comes with the boon or is given as another boon option once you have a boon from that god.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Doesn't the most powerful hangover effect take precedence tho?

So if you stack 5 special hangovers on something dashing wont add any of the lower hangover damage.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
It's weird but even though I have probably lost more DDs in Elysium than any other area, I think Asphodel is my least favorite biome.

I like Elysium because there are tons of little walls/ponds you can dash through and it's really easy to hit enemies with *most* of the traps (gently caress those spear statues though). Plus my boy Patroclus is always there.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kawabata posted:

IMO he's really not, you can beat it even with crappy boons if you time your dodge right (which I often don't). I don't think you can reliably survive in an assorted shield-archer/spearmen elite room in Elysium with a bad build though. Even a bad Styx room with a giant armored rat and some other stuff can get closer to ending your run than the end boss would.

Idk, most of the rooms in Elysium are big enough that you can maneuver around enemies well enough to handle a handful of elites enough to wear them down.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Artemis is unquestionably bi. Her reaction to learning that you know Achilles is maybe the horniest thing in the game, which is saying something.

I kinda took that as "do me a favor as a fan and tell him Artemis thinks he's the best".

Also if we're going down this tangent Athena is probably closer to being an ace than anything else. Unless I'm missing something from my limited knowledge of Greek Gods.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Id say all ares cast needs is the boon that makes the blades suck enemies in and/or the one that makes them wider.

Whenever i take ares i either specialize in doom or specialize in blade rifts, i never take both because they are mediocre without the extra ares boons to support them.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fool of sound posted:

Those make it functional but I don't think it worth giving up the damage multiplier from embed unless you're going really impressive damage, which basically requires hunting blades.

Aside from poseidon sword my goto for cast builds are almost always demeter, dio, or ares. They handle groups well while dishing out crzay damage when upgraded.

With fists/shield I also like to get ares cast since its great in close range and i can push/pull enemies into it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

wuffles posted:

What’s a good achilles spear build? I always end up with a boring slog of a mediocre build by the end of Asphodel.

[B&W infomercial voice over while I awkwardly drop an over-large handful of disjointed boons]”There’s got to be a better way!”

Go for a cast build. Fire off all your casts after the spear throw without attacking. I always like to go for at least 1 chaos boon if i can just to get the extra crystal. Just remember that the special won't reset your buffs until you use them all (which is kinda lame).

Demeter/Ares/Dio casts are really nice fire and forget casts and the buff makes them hit really hard. You'll definitely want to go for duo boons on all of them, though you can get away without duos on ares if you get the vortex/radius plus his legendary.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fool of sound posted:

Yeah and the improved input buffering in the latest patch makes it feel a lot less janky.

I just wish the special refreshed the number of charges for attack/cast damage. As it is now, if you use the special while you still have some charges left you will still have that same number of charges left until you spend them all.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Also, when you open up a weapon to look at the aspects there will be some stats on the side, one of which shows the highest heat level youve finished with. Useful if youre trying to increment by 1 heat on every weapon for blood.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey gang, I’m getting conflicting reports from my friends and I don’t wanna spoil anything storyline wise:

I’ve beaten my dad like 5-6 times. I have maxed out Zagreus Aspects unlocked for all weapons. I have only successfully unlocked Medusa’s summon spell. I’m on Heat 2-3 for my weapons

1) how do I unlock secret weapon forms? Haven’t even gotten a hint at those yet

2) some characters still have empty hearts in my journal but won’t take anymore nectar from me, even when I have 4-5. Charon won’t take anymore, but he still has hearts to go. Is there any indication which characters give you summons or should I just continue being nice to the ones I like until I can’t anymore?

3) I love Meg, I wish you got to play as Meg, she’s so cool

Both 1 and 2 are locked behind dialogue. Depending on the relationship/weapon, there are specfic conditions that need to be completed for the dialogue to show up. Some of it is just going through a long dialogue tree, some of it is tied to progression such as unlocking weapon aspects/mirror upgrades/completing prophecies, some of it is random.

My first suggestion is to talk to everyone with an exclamation mark and make sure to dole out the nectar as much as possible. This includes people you only see in the game proper like Sisyphus/Eurydice/Patroclus/Charon as well as people in the House of Hades. Usually a character's dialogue arc progresses based on talking to people related to them or the story beats surrounding them (Eurydice/Orpheus for example). Some of them take a while.

My second suggestion is to use all of the weapons/aspects instead of just focusing on one. When I was doing heat runs for weapon aspects i would just pick whichever weapon gave bonus darkness so I could upgrade the mirror faster. Since hidden aspects require you to be using a weapon while talking to a certain character, this increases your chances of getting that dialogue to show up since you arent focusing on one weapon only.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 9, 2020

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Makes sense. I'm still trying to figure out what the doorway skulls and reward background imply. Sometimes the god icon is glowing bright red and I'm not sure what that means.

-Skull with no up arrows is tougher enemies, usually armored

-1 arrow is a miniboss

-2 arrows are main bosses/erebus rewards

Skull icons/up arrows mean increased rewards: either better rarity or more stuff.

-Blue garlands around a room symbol mean basic reward(darkness, gems, nectar, keys, etc.)

-Gold garlands mean better rewards (coin, hammers, poms, boons, hearts, etc.)

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Xinder posted:

Sell me on Aspect of Demeter. Just did my first run with it and I just wasn't enjoying it as much as Talos. It's not bad at all, I did clear dad without losing a single health bar, but the cutter just doesn't feel like it's doing that much for me. I think my big winner on that was just having the hermes boon of faster attack, support fire, and the increased range hammer. What am I missing?

Artemis on special will net you triple digit specials. It melts bosses and big enemies.

Either that or you havent maxed it. Its one of the aspects that really isnt good until you max it.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

fool of sound posted:

I'd argue that there's not much reason to use base sword either compared to nemesis. Base rail is interesting of you get the shotgun hammer but the advanced rail aspects are all so good that it feels bad.

I kinda like the 15% extra attack speed on the zag aspect. Thats half of a hermes legendary and attack speed is *technically* multiplicative in terms of how it mixes with other damage increases. Nemesis is better stats wise but getting zag sword with a hermes attack boon, zeus/dio/artemus/demeter on attack, and/or flurry slash feels pretty good.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Does anyone know how the gently caress you're supposed to dodge Cerberus? That attack, more than any other, feels like the game going "lol, get hosed."

Hide in the corner

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
50 obols for some gabagool, can you believe this mook?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ares damage boosts work best with slow, high damage weapons or skirmishing hit and run tactics enabled by, for instance, hammer effects on dash attacks.

This is true until you get the boon that increases doom damage with each application (Dire Misfortune?).

One of the fun ways to use charon bow is to get doom on the special and this boon and do 500+ damage per application.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

96 spacejam posted:

Not sure if this was clarified but just tap R when you see the rod glow. Happens shortly, sometimes immediately after the first bob. I've lost maybe 2 fish on 91 runs.

edit: Is there a worthwhile Zag aspect? I like the +ammo on the Rail but it looks like the Spear may be better? Bow looks decent but I can get that on an Artemis boon.

This blood is burning a hole in me.

+crit chance stacks so zag bow is really good with artemis boons. Unfortunately its overshadowed by all the other bow aspects.

The only zag aspects that hold up to the others are shield and fists, and the zag fist aspect is only good for a plume run. The sword aspect is okay if you get a a lot of good hermes boons like rush delivery and the attack speed increase.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
You also get a little title on your final victory screen if you deny thanatos any kills that run.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

andrew smash posted:

No, not hestia. I meant Eris, not hera, my bad.

The speedrun strat is zeus on attack and poseidon on dash with a big damage god on special. They usually shoot for the zeus/poseidon duo.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ariong posted:

Mur... durr.. er?

Does Tis always appear before Alecto?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ariong posted:

Those things are such a ripoff, even when I'm looking I have no idea what it is that they change.

Get the chaos one, its pretty noticeable and the best one.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

sex excellence posted:

thanks, I've also noticed that it doesn't seem like you can dodge Hade's spin attack so there is probably a lot of caveats to the dodge mechanic anyway.

Pretty sure you can. I got to EM4 to Super dad with something like 98% dodge and only got hit once (because my bonus dodge chance from my call wore off).

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

wedgie deliverer posted:

Dionysus call is great for dps even with only 1 bar. Spam that poo poo on Hades for a constant DOT on him.

Dio, zeus, and demeter feel the best when you spam them as soon as they are ready instead of waiting for a full bar. Dio especially.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Doomykins posted:

Unga Bunga: Zagreus shield with full +15 to hits/dash hits. Dash to your enemy. Hit him. Dash to his other side and hit him again. Repeat infinitely, ideally with mirror trait for innate 2 dashes. Get an on dash damage proc. Get an on hit damage proc. Get two that last a few seconds and enable +40% damage for two debuffs mirror trait. Aphrodite/Athena/Demeter are great picks for survivability, Athena can get Exposed to contribute to debuffs. I play on mouse/keyboard so I just have my cursor dancing back and forth along my target with each dash, dunno if controller might complicate this.

This but one thing im learning is to hold down the mouse button for just a second after the strike to do a quick bull rush.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Anything that stacks or does flat damage is pretty good on the rails attack. Zeus and dio are really good because of how eris works.

Im just waiting for the day I get doom with dire misfortune+impending doom on the attack.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Ariong posted:

I don't get doom. It's a flat damage bonus, which means it's more effective on attacks that are fast yet weak. However, it also doesn't stack unless you get a particular special boon, which means the most efficient thing to do with it is to put it on an attack that only hits enemies every so often, which means attacks that are slow and strong. Doom is a tough sell because it really needs the assistance of other boons in order to be effective, unlike most other gods' boons which are already effective on their own.

The only thing I really like doom on is the bow special. It's slow and weak, which is exactly what doom wants, and what you get in exchange is a huge sweeping range. So you can tag an entire roomful of enemies with doom every few seconds and do other things while you're waiting for those to go off.

Impending doom + dire misfortune makes doom a lot better on fast attacks. You can get some high doom numbers on something like chiron special because all of the stacks from dire misfortune.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Sanctum posted:

I have another existential crisis of 3 really good choices. What should I do

Leaning towards double boons but I'll decide tomorrow pending a hearing

Alternatively, pick chaos so you can set a new personal speed record

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Snackmar posted:

Question about bonus gates like visiting Chaos.. Let’s say Tartarus was normally 10 chambers. Would visiting Chaos make it 11? ie does it make a run longer? or the same length?

Yes and no. If you encounter it right before charons pre boss shop its basically an extra room (same goes foe erebus gates) . Otherwise it counts as a normal room in terms of progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
It helps to fill the ones on the left if youre hunting for specific boons, since it lowers the number of boons you can get from a god and gives you more chances of seeing a secondary boon.

Also it feels like gods really prioritize filling those ability slots first, which makes sense.