Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

just got this game a couple days ago. I made it to Elysium a couple times and reliably make it to asphodel, no matter which sister is present. This game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

grahhh, i almost got hades last time (with the shield). so close!!! i got him down to below 50% on his second health bar. i had a really good build i thought, with my attacks hitting twice and causing lightning, which applied jolted and also bounced numerous times, and i had ares's god call (which shreds bosses). this was only my second time facing him, and I have no idea how i'll do it with weapons other than the shield, but i'll get there.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

theseus and the minotaur are still very tough for me, i lose to them more often than i beat them, but at least i'm making it to them semi-reliably now. whenever i feel like giving up i remind myself that i beat both nightmare king grimm and the pantheon of the knight. i can DO this.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

minya posted:

Few tips:

* Focus entirely on Minotaur first, and try to keep the fight towards the edge of the arena so you can use the pillars to block spear throws when they happen
* Dodge into/through minotaur swings, not away from them
* After minotaur is dead focus on Theseus, no real tips for avoiding damage other than learning his timing and getting better at dodging (spear throw and spin attack)
* After you burn down 60% of Theseus's health, if you have a Greater Call, use it as soon as his shield disappears and it will help you end the fight quickly since he has no defenses while he his summoning his own call

yeah, that's what i've been doing-- mino first, ignore theseus, focus on dodging appropriately (unless i have the shield, which is really the easy mode weapon for me at this point in my progression). i think i would have gotten hades this time but i had some weird sequencing issues where i lost my first death defiance like one room after patroclus. also i was doing well on hades but just... stopped shielding, i guess, and racked up a ton of damage right at the start of phase II

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

once I have taken a gods boon, should I be focused on more boons from that god? I’ve noticed that Zeus particularly can stack synergy on his lightning leaps.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I have gotten to the point where I can pretty reliably beat Theseus and his pal, even with the fists (my worst weapon). Hades is still a challenge but I have faith I'll get him soon.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

got him! as i expected, i did it with the shield, maxed out Aspect of Zagreus. I had the Daedalus effect that makes your bull rush shoot a laser and I genuinely don't remember what else because that by itself trivialized the entire encounter.
Oh yeah, I had Aphrodite's call, that made Hades and Theseus both quite a lot faster. Just gotta be careful with timing. And I had the demeter/poseidon cast, that was fun.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

so yeah my second clear (at a mighty 1 heat) came exactly two runs after my first clear, also with the shield. I have no idea how I’m going to beat hades with any other weapon, shield is easy mode for sure.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

My first two hades kills were with the shield and I wondered how I would do it with anything else. Since then I’ve gotten him with the fists, which I thought were the worst weapon, and the gun, which rules but which I need more practice with.
My fists build used Talos and I stacked special damage to an obscene extent, plus the heal on kill boon and the impact shockwave boon. Probably the easiest run I’ve ever had; everything just melted. I ran into a butterfly mini boss and just sat on it jamming Q until it died in a few seconds.
For the gun I had the triple grenade boon which is GRUESOME. I basically didn’t need anything else, but I stacked special damage anyways. Having chill shots helped.
For people struggling, the Ares and Aphrodite calls are both really good for bosses; at full charge Aphrodite just slaps the poo poo out of anyone she hits.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

my "crap weapon, how does anyone clear with this" is still the sword. I think on my next sword run I'm going to go with Poseidon and put on Artemis's keepsake to try to get Exit Wounds, and then just go from there. I'm doing decently well with everything else; I've cleared up through 2 heat with the shield and 1 heat with a few of the others. My last run I had the Eris Rail and I stacked special damage, then the Anvil of Fates gave me Hazard Bomb :downs:
still won, holy poo poo that takes a huge chunk off of dad's health bar

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

finally got a clear with the sword, that took way too long. i've now cleared with every baseline weapon and unlocked every hidden aspect. time to start grinding that heat!
my first two hidden weapon clears were with shield and spear, and I have to say, I like both playstyles a lot. I've heard people talking bad about the hidden spear and I did feel compelled to use cerberus's keepsake, but i actually felt very strong throughout-- the incidental healing is nice, and the damage throughput is insane. it helped that i used a hammer to get the quick-charge spin.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Spergatory posted:

I know the game wants me to take advantage of the "shared suffering" gimmick with the Rama bow, but... just hammering the special button fires a bunch of arrows that bounce so smartly off walls and enemies that they might as well be homing. It shoots them fast and far, and with very little recovery. Add to that a hammer that makes the special fire more arrows, and toss in some Hangover courtesy of everybody's favorite wine uncle, and suddenly I have absolutely no reason to hit the attack button, ever. :shrug:

Lucifer is insane. If you get any kind of damaging effect on your special, you can just throw them out and have enemies wander into them until they die. My first run, I had Ares on my special and Poseidon on the laser, so if anyone wandered away from the Beacon of Pain, I basically chased them down with a water hose and sprayed them until they went back into it. :v:

Gilgamesh was kind of weird. The dashing gimmick and the maim mechanic I felt didn't go well together at all, and there's kind of a cool flash step dash attack you can do that basically teleports you behind an enemy automatically, but the dashing in general just made me feel kind of out of control, and the slowness of the claws without the dash attack just... I dunno, man, it didn't vibe with me. Maybe I'll try again later, but it looks to me like fists are the consensus Worst All Around Weapon, so at least I'm not the only one who found it weird.

Beowulf is the only one I've yet to try, and I just unlocked it, so it's next. I have a hard time imagining how it could be better than Zeus, but this game has surprised me quite a bit.

By the way, is it just me, or does the Aspect of Chaos just objectively suck? You can never hit anything with the extra shields, at least I can't.

Beowulf is very dependent on 1) stacking bloodstones and 2) having a good cast. But if you can load a few festive fog stones in there, holy crap.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

fists are so good. the sword sucks, but it turns out if you have excalibur and a million +crit talents, it doesn't matter. i hit dad for 1500 with the third swipe of my combo :chanpop:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i'm very glad killing skelly with the maxed out zagreus sword didn't permanently remove him.
i'm less glad at what an ungodly amount of blood it's going to take to max out all my weapons, but hey, one step at a time. i have almost everything unlocked (just missing poseidon and hades aspects), and i've gotten a clear with most of the hidden aspects too. i'm becoming a Gun Gamer, a bit at a time; the gun is just so much fun, especially when you go all-in on your Special

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

As soon as I got Satan’s Laser I forgot the other aspects existed at all

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

you're a bad friend if you don't beat the living poo poo out of skelly every time imo

don't you mean...
schelemeus?!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i always go for hammers because some of them are insanely powerful, but sometimes you get offered three hammers that don't synergize with your build. in those cases i always anvil unless the second hammer i got was, like, insanely good (like the shield shooting a piercing beam thing; at low heat at least, that is bah-roken).

i've cleared through 6 heat for bow and shield, 2-4 for everything else.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the most fun runs I’ve had are the Rail runs where I went all in on the special and got the triple special hammer. hades plays best as a Blowing Up Your Dad Simulator.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I took it back because *gestures at hidden sword aspect* It Ain’t Gonna Upgrade Itself

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I have cleared twice with guan yu at 3 and 5 heat. I don’t get the hate. You do have to upgrade it at least once or twice but you don’t need to go all five, and it really rewards a careful and patient playstyle.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Spergatory posted:

That's why.

Ok, but there are posters itt talking about heatless runs, that’s why I chimed in. I don’t think it’s broken or even top tier, but there are some people who absolutely trash guan yu in a way I think is unwarranted.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

just tried the Poseidon sword/exit wounds comp for laffs. Despite wearing artemis’s charm all three floors I was never offered exit wounds (and yes I had the proper mirror talent equipped). Still took all the spell scaling with Athena’s cast and waltzed through the game, almost no hitting dad. Only heat 5 but I feel decent about how that went.

Highest heat so far is 9, but I haven’t seen any skelly statues yet

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I’ll keep clearing to 32 heat and maybe get hypnos’s favor maxed out if he’ll ever loving talk to me again but I am definitely over the hump, having hit the epilogue, maxed out all six companions and started collecting skelly statues.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i feel in my jellies that when i do get my first 32 heat clear it'll be with excalibur. that weapon just feels broken

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

If you’re not going to use the ludicrously busted hidden aspect, poseidon sword lets you go all in on cast. Force Artemis for exit wounds and just burst down everything in sight. Just don’t gently caress yourself with Dionysus or Demeter casts

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

after 100 runs I have finally achieved my goal and caught a stonewhal

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

There are only a few patterns for fishing... for instance if there are two bobs, then a long pause, there will be one more bob and shortly afterward a bite.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I know that Supergiant doesn't really do sequels, but I'd love to see a Hades II where Zag is trying to climb Olympus. The boon equivalents would come from Charon, Meg, Thanatos, etc. and the bosses would be the Gods. Maybe it could vary per run: the first biome could be Artemis or Dionysus, the second Aphrodite or Ares, the third Poseidon or Demeter, the fourth Athena or Zeus.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i can't get Chaos to offer me a Defiance boon and i haven't even seen an opportunity to fight charon since the first time i did (and beat him), but other than that i'm done with prophecies

i'm debating whether i want to unlock every single tier of every single weapon all the way up to 32 or not. i've been steadily climbing by the simple expedient of just doing one run per day, using whatever weapon is blessed that day, and incrementing the heat by 1 each time until each level is fully cleared. i'm up to 10-16 for the different weapons. i guess when i have every aspect maxed out and thus no longer need blood i could just jump to 32... i have no intention of maxing out resource director ranks because the amount of darkness it takes is absolutely batshit compared to how much i earn on a complete run.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

traps is bad unless you’re forcing Athena anyways, because you can spend a boon slot to reduce trap damage by 75-90% and negate it. “Skip one Athena boon” is absolutely worth 1 heat.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Finally tried exdad (with forced overtime on because why not). Got him halfway through his last bar with 100hp and two DDs left, somehow died with him at a sliver remaining. God drat that’s tough.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I’m at 17 Heat with the shield, between 12-15 with everything else. So far I’ve only beaten the game with EM4 on with the shield, and I’m not even sure how I’ll do it with any other weapon—and how I’ll make heat without it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Do Erebus gates count as an actual room towards the boss or are they sort of a bonus room?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

all the most broken poo poo I’ve done involves the Zeus shield with an upgraded Dionysus or Zeus or Demeter on the special

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

World War Mammories posted:

poseidon sword synergizes incredibly well with artemis' exit wounds, which gives you a reason to be close so you can pick up the bloodstones as they tear their way out to drill 'em back in again

also yeah getting good at using dodge offset with the sword special helps a lot

Poseidon sword is kind of gimmicky but getting a decently leveled up Exit Wounds, fast cast/auto return from Hermes and a solid high damage cast like Athena or Artemis, along with a buffed special, gives you bonkers amounts of burst.

The problem isn’t that Poseidon is bad, it’s that Excalibur is ludicrously overtuned.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest I kinda feel like all the big and slow hidden aspects are pretty busted and Excalibur is the weakest of the three; the bow one is slow too but goes far and becomes area of effect, and the gloves are only slow for gloves but even without Maim you get a four hit attack sequence with 60 base damage on each hit and decent area of effect.

I hate the hidden gloves tbh, I dash strike a lot with gloves and giving enemies a big damage buff sucks. Plus Zag gloves and the plume is such a killer combo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

There are romances in this game?? Wtf. Can I turn into a swan and hook up with mortals

there's a sweet golden shower minigame

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

boon purge is great because it has led me to the strategy of picking up crappy duos to sell for 400+ gold each, which is objectively a good strategy

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Spikes32 posted:

Crystal cast triggers multiple times for support fire???

it damages every .2 seconds I think (maybe .5?) so yeah

also i am starting to close in on 20 heat runs with every weapon. spear is lagging behind the others, not because i don't do well with it but because i always go with whatever weapon is glowing and for some reason my spear doesn't like to glow. i just cleared 15 heat with Guan Yu and those who say Guan Yu is no good at higher heats are COWARDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I think I’m close to done here. I have unlocked every aspect of every weapon at max level, I’ve cleared every plot and maxed every relationship and companion. I’m missing a couple fish and a couple things from the contractor, plus some of the resource director titles. The only substantial thing I have left is a 32 heat run, which I haven’t tried yet, because I kind of don’t want Hades to be over. Amazing game, amazing journey.