Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

veni veni veni posted:

Im aware of the poison curing pools. Regardless, you can still end up with some combos in styx that really gently caress you over.

It's just weird, because I am this point in the game where basically everything leading up to Hades is trivial. On a good run I usually get his second phase down to like 20% heath and die. On a very bad run I might die on the theseus/Minotaur but it's all starting to feel like busywork up until that point. Luckily the variety in builds keep it fun, but sometimes it feels like I am just wasting 25 minutes getting to Theseus and building a card deck along the way. I cant remember the last time I died even once before that.

This is exactly where I am too right now. I'm about 40 runs in and have pretty much maxed out my chosen mirror bonuses so I'm not sure how much more progression I can squeeze out. I know it's just a case of gitting gud but I'd really love a practice mode so I can not keep almost getting there all day. I'm almost tempted to tick the god mode box but I know that would leave me empty and unfulfilled in the end.

Is there any way of getting more titan's blood without killing Hades? Or respeccing? I poured it all into the shield which is fine but I'd like to try some of the others/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Turned out that as with most video game problems, the trick is to complain on the internet and then get it within the next couple of tries.

Not quite an ideal build but it worked well enough. I actually wasn't even really trying, I only went in down a life and low on health and wasn't totally comfortable with my build after a rocky Theseus and The Minotaur, so I figured I'd focus on learning the tells and dodging the attacks rather than trying to apply DPS. I guess the lesson here is that you can keep attacking as long as you want if you keep not dying.

Also the hangover call is crazy, no real buffs and it did an immense amount of work.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hey the thread title says I can pet the dog, the dog, and the dog, but when I press the pet button I only pet the dog. Is petting the other two dogs an ability I'll get later?

Also I ran into what I'm assuming is the secret boss you guys have been talking about an oh boy that's rough. I found him in Tartarus, is it that I shouldn't be trying it so early in a run or is he just meant to be utterly brutal?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm still new at this, with around 20 runs. I reach the end of Elysium almost every time now, unless I get an exceptionally bad room along the way.

But that Elysium boss fight, especially when subsequent runs make it more difficult by adding Theseus, and then allowing them to call down bullshit god powers -- it's gone from challenging to frustrating, and I'm not sure how to change up my build to make it easier.

I usually go in with the spear, Dusa's keepsake, and try for Athena's dash boon. The available boons on any given run are so random that it's hard to plan, so I look for a good balance of survivability and offense.

I got to the final boss once (and he wrecked me pretty good), but I usually just die at the end of Elysium, and it's starting to not feel great not making any progress.

Deal with Asterius first. Try and stay behind him, dodging through him while he's attacking is generally pretty safe. The trick to mitigating Theseus is to stay away from him so he's limited to the ranged attack. Learn the timing on the indicator over your head and take shelter behind a pillar or double dash to not get nailed. His extra powers don't unlock until 50% so it's pretty easy not to trigger them until Asterius is down. Once Theseus is alone he's no so bad, just keep avoiding the ranged attack, stay behind him when in melee range and don't stand in the glowy circles.

Also others have said it but rule #1 is take your time. You cannot deal any damage when you're dead and you will not win a DPS race. I'd actually suggest spending a run not even trying to fight them properly, just play it conservatively, practice dodging and see how long you can last.

My hot boon tip for this and the last boss is to build around "fire and forget" style damage. Blade rifts are ideal, especially if you can snag the homing bonus. If you've got Dionysus the hangover call is really good, it does good work without much other investment. I think rupture also works on bosses even if they don't actually get knocked back, can someone confirm?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate this post, I kept getting clotheslined by exactly this fight.

Are there similar patterns to watch out for with the final boss? I can get to Theseus pretty reliably but after that things seem to break down.

Asterius and Theseus actually act as a pretty good trainer for the final boss. A lot of the mechanics are pretty similar.

His melee attacks are also easily dodged by doding towards him and going behind, like with Asterius. His spin has a little faint white circle that pops up, like Theseus, and his lasers can be blocked by standing behind a pillar like the spear throw. And when the adds spawn, again it's a good idea to put some distance between you and the boss and focus down the weaker ones first.

Beyond that, try and kill the skulls or get across the arena rather than attempting to dodge through them and whatever other attack he's doing. His more powerful attacks work pretty much the same, get behind him when he does a melee chain and block the laser attack. There is a major crinkle when he does the green jar thing, his attacks blow them up so you want to stand back and let him clear some space in the arena before you start getting up close and personal again.

It's a little harder, but at the end of the day it's the same basic objective - find a strategy to deal with his poo poo and work on not dying, then fill the gaps with damage. And again, finding a source of damage that keeps hitting when Zagreus stops is going to make it a lot easier.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm not a fan of the rail, but oh my god you can buff up the special to horrifying levels. Bosses do not do well under 3k+ crits that take no effort to put in.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yoked posted:

Is there a new player post or guide anywhere? The OP gave some high level explanation of the game, but a lot of discussion I've skimmed through seems to be about very advanced parts of the game.

I have logged about 5 hours so far with 16 escape attempts. I have gotten to the Bone Hydra twice now, but no escape from Asphodel. I finally unlocked all the weapons and the ability to start upgrading with Titan's blood, but am feeling a bit hesitant as I don't know what the "optimal" upgrade path would be. I think I enjoy the fists and sword the most, so I'm guessing I should focus on these first and trying to get further in escapes.

I'm guessing my main problem at the moment is trying to out DPS rooms or bosses instead of trying to preserve health by being conservative and taking my time. I'm just wondering if there are other more obvious things I should be looking at and what upgrades would be good for the sword/fist.

Yeah do not try and beat the game in a DPS race. Stand back, learn the encounters, attack when it's safe and don't die.

The other bit of advice I'd give for the Hydra specifically that hasn't been fully covered is that most of his attacks cannot get you at all outside the pillars. There's some projectiles to dodge but if you've got a ranged option you'll have huge damage windows and you won't even need to learn half the tells at this point. Same with the small heads, they can only stretch their necks so far.

The Titan's Blood isn't really going to be a major upgrade path for a while, the supply is very limited until you can reliably beat the final boss. Of the sword and the fists I'd say the fist's zag aspect is the most bang for your buck with the blood you have. The main meta progression at this stage is going to be the mirror though, so keep looking at that. There's some really cool upgrades in the mid section so make sure to pick up keys and unlock those if you haven't.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yoked posted:

I have two key unlocks for the mirror so far. Should I be experimenting more with the mirror and sides even if I already have several ranks invested on one side versus the other?

Experimenting is a nice thing to do, the alternate mirror buffs are definitely worth trying to see what you like and what works with what. I'd suggest it's worth spending a few keys on darkness refunds to do the experiments though, so you can actually get them up to a comparable power level without spending ages building up a bunch of extra darkness.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Halfway through the Elysium boss on my guan yu run was NOT the ideal time for my thumb to collapse from all the dash attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Zeus is Good.