Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ever had a run where the game just hands you the win?
Here's my loadout at the start of Asphodel:

(Not pictured: a Poseidon boon)

Here's the end of the run:

Yeah. Final boss got annihilated. It was so insane I simply forgot I had my summon mid-Elysium, and that's after using him two times simply for some topping up.
(I could have sworn I changed the mirror back to backstab)

I'm going to say that I think healing on darkness is the superior choice. Who cares if in the temple there's no darkness.How many doors do you go through per exploration while searching for the sack? 6? 18 healing per sack search, plus 3 going into the final boss, isn't going to change things by that point. Either you've become death Thanatos, Destroyer of Worlds or you've not.
Meanwhile, during the run I can use every darkness dead room as healing, and any Charon's Well that has darkness is also an extra heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Any sane dev is going to implement those reductions as multiplicative.
It still comes out at 76,24% damage reduction (I assume he had a +20% to weak blessing).
With cursed slash I assume he simply stood his ground and minced everything for no net damage.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Poseidon is going to need a complete rework at some point. He's already struggling because his main theme of knockback doesn't do anything to bosses. Even getting the boon that ups the damage portion on bosses isn't really enough to make it worthwhile, because you're still missing out on all the wall slam damage. And it's wasting a boon slot to make it go from crap to mediocre. Should be a baseline thing and should do a lot more damage on bosses to make it competitive.

Then pile on the utility buffs to get more loot or more fish, plus the treasures of the sea boon (which isn't really a boon at all, just some quick loot), which seems to come up every freaking time, and he becomes easily the worst god to focus a build around.

Not really? Give me Poseidon's dash and explosion on slam and I can clean up Elysium and Styx with like zero damage no questions asked; I'd not even need to touch attack or special in Styx with how small the rooms are.
Who cares if he's useless for bosses, that's what the rest of the build is for, I'll happily take easy-mode elites.

That's before stupid poo poo like Poseidon/Demeter's duo, but admittedly all of Demeter's duos are broken.

I agree he'd should get a rework on the do-nothing loot boons. Increased chamber rewards should be fine on it's own (get the numbers higher maybe), but the one-shot drop of gold/gems/darkness/healing should neither exist nor be repeatable.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BobTheJanitor posted:

But I still maintain that being poo poo on boss fights is a huge negative. Are people really having that much trouble with trash mob rooms? I mean, yeah, it's a lot of fun to get a bunch of knockback and pinball enemies until they burst, but it's not really helpful overall. Probably like 75% of my deaths are on hades and almost all of the rest on king dimwit and the cow man. Sprinkle in a few on hydra when my build is just garbage. Deaths in actual trash rooms are such a small portion overall that it's hard to justify building to counter that.

As a mediocre player: I'm good enough to always get to the final boss. If I walk in with four death defiances I'm walking out no matter my build, because I will win the damage race. If I limp in with two, I'm in a poo poo position unless my build is a dedicated single target wrecker; what killed me was not the final boss though, it was the shield rear end in a top hat that popped a life and the disco laser elite that has way too much armor popping another.

Poseidon cleans up Elysium and Styx and simply removes most attrition from them, you don't even need the legendary pinball although it really really helps.

Of course, it depends on what pact you run. I'm partial to middle management and forced overtime, with a sprinkling of the new elite traits, so my armored assholes are swole.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

A Moose posted:

I've been messing around with the Demeter fists, turns out that either the damage for each hit is SUPER low, or the charge hammer actually disables the aspect. You'd think that with a chaos special buff and an Ares 10% damage buff, a fully charged special hitting 5 times would do a little more than 500 damage.

Baseline damage is 30x2 on the special, 40 single hit on the dash special.

Fully charged special with max level Demeter becomes 60x6 = 360 damage, and I think the hammer buff is still additive so other buffs will work with 180 as baseline. I agree that's a weak option for the fists.

Demeter fists pretty much require Artemis special, and the dash special is better than the still special when charged up.
I think the explosion fist (50% AoE on the dash special) is the best hammer option for the Demeter fists and pretty much turns Zagreus into the Muscle Wizard. There's nothing like charging it up, dashing into a pack of 4 armored Elysium heroes and obliterating all of them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Apparently the patch introduced a killer rabbit rat encounter in Styx now. Either that or it's really rare and I never met it until now.

I had middle management on. I don't know if it's a requirement for it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MMF Freeway posted:

Its legit hard to see too, especially since as a late game encounter you have a dozen different effects going off by then. I found it real tough to dodge its charges because of that

As far as I could tell, it needed to do a Dragon Ball Z charge up for a quarter of a second before charging, so after a couple encounters it should not be that bad. It's also nowhere as aggressive as the final boss, so there should be a lot of opportunities for some good damage in.
The big rat adds are too slow to pose real problems and they're not even elite.

Zagreus going all "just a small rat" set expectations perfectly though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arzaac posted:

I didn't have too bad of a time the one time I fought it, but I was using the bow and was able to play keep away pretty effectively. And even then it took ages to kill.

Can't imagine it would be exactly fun to fight with literally any melee weapon.

I met it only once with Hades spear with the special being mostly dead weight that run. It wasn't that bad, the spear has enough range to get a lot of opportunity attacks in.

Demeter fists I foresee no problems honestly, there are adds to charge up the special with. The shield is the shield, its gameplan always works. I never want to meet Ratty with the sword though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I feel the game should** have a testing room. Basically Skelly, but with the option of picking up any boon* at any rarity and seeing how they interact.

*Possibly only those you've already found once.

Edit: **less "should", more "could use"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tenebrais posted:

Putting that all together I'm pretty sure Persephone is at the heart of it all somehow. I'm going to guess she's either been captured by mortals, or has chosen to live among them, and either way Demeter is very upset about the situation.

...oh man, what if Persephone ran away from Olympus in the same way Zagreus is running away from Hades and their stories parallel each other. That'd be fun.

Demeter is absolutely upset at the situation, but as far as I can tell she has no clue her daughter is married to Hades, or that she has a grandson.

In the original myth Demeter threw a tantrum and threw the world into unending winter before a compromise was made*, namely Persephone would spend six months with her husband ("coincidentally" the fall and winter months) and six months with her mother (spring and summer).

*my personal read on said compromise: imposed by Zeus

I speculate the game is set during Demeter's original tantrum.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Dietrich posted:

Persephone's been gone from the underworld for a long time. I think she's disappeared somewhere on the service. I think Hades wants Zag to escape to find her and fix things.

:shrug: There's flexibility on the timeline, it's not like the myths give definite calendar dates for when events happened. Demeter throwing a tantrum for a couple hundred years (or however old Zagreus is) would be a valid interpretation of the myth.

I've got a speculative agreement on your second point though. I think Skelly's mysterious boss is Hades.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nobody knows, including Demeter as she's still searching for her daughter.
So the world can [Demeter]freeze to death[/Demeter] for all she cares.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Nevvy Z posted:

My first run had that and freeze it was stupid.

Are there any funny rules about duo boons and competing gods? Sometimes when I'm running for a duo I just get the choice instead. Annoying

You can't get any duo boon from Trial of the Gods rooms (the double boon ones) on either boon.

Apart from that I got nothing, I've had runs with 3 duos and 2 legendaries.

E:

Drewjitsu posted:

Gonaa complain about it now, anyone got support fire on fists? Seems like a no brainer, but I can't get it. I've seen arty about 10 times now (with rerolls), and it hasn't been offered.

RNG is going to rng. I had it a couple times, it works exactly the way you think it should work.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bloody Emissary posted:

I also arrived at this theory, but from a comment Demeter makes where she compares herself with Hades re: absent children and then says, "well, my daughter would never run away, of course." There's a conclusion meant to be drawn there, especially when you consider how similarly severe Hades and Demeter are and that she might not just be like that because her daughter is missing.

Is it just me or Demeter is absolutely meant to be read as an horribly abusive parent? Most of what she says is :yikes:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It's a narrow straight line and there are small gaps between the stabs where an attack can sneak through. Chariots will overwhelm that combo for example.
It's still a good defensive combo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Lichtenstein posted:

Haven't had much time to toy with the twin fists, but is there any real use for the uppercut other than it just being another button to proc a different boon?

Not really, no. They have some area but that's it.
The hammer upgrades on the special are good, but even with Demeter fist the playstyle is charge up the special, dump the special. The bulk of fist damage comes from auto-attacks. Zeus attack or support fire at normal rarity will probably outdamage anything else at heroic.

If you want to use Demeter fists, they need to be level 5; a charged special effectively becomes a call with way less charge time. You need a damage boon on the special with Demeter fists, since you're not using that thing for utility.
I think priority boon priority on the special for the Demeter fists is Artemis >>> Poseidon > Athena/Demeter/Aphrodite >>>>>>>>> don't bother with the others.

E: and of course Athena's dash solves so many problems on the fists.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Krazyface posted:

I hate to say it, but I kind of lost interest in playing this once I learnt they're going to zero out everyone's progress on hitting 1.0. For the time being, anyway.

fffffffffFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU
Makes sense, but still see above

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Magus42 posted:

Aspect upgrades aren't as strong as you might think they are.

:agreed:
Barring Demeter's fists and Guan Yu's spear, aspect upgrades are not particularly useful.

Demeter's fists get an extra attack on their charged Q for each level; at max level it's basically a second offensive call and allows you to delete any single target at will (Artemis' Q boon is basically mandatory though). If you want to use Demeter fists they need to be at max, otherwise go for another aspect, the baseline fists moveset is really powerful anyways.

Guan Yu goes from -70% HP to -50% HP. Max rank is effectively +66% health from baseline. Heals are also affected by this debuff, so again if you want to use this aspect it needs to be at max.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Khanstant posted:

I legit don't know how to block with shield. I assume it's a thing like Link to the Past where you just line your shield up with certain attacks and do nothing? Getting Athena deflect on attack is the only way I know how to block with shield or any weapon.

edit: I also don't use Bull Rush very often!

Those two issues are connected.
While Zag is charging bull rush, and during the charge, the shield is raised and thus will block attacks from Zagreus' front.

E: the gently caress? I swear I refreshed the page before posting this.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

kaschei posted:

It actually makes projectiles deny more time-area, it makes bullethell areas harder but makes it much easier to e.g. respond to the final boss' spell. If you have an easy way to deal with projectiles like Deflect on attack with Excalibur it can be worth it but it's one of my least preferred duo boons.
If you have that duo you have a deflect by definition.
Most enemies don't saturate the screen into bullet hell territory, so the increased linger time is meaningless because you can dodge and reposition at no opportunity cost. For those that do, well that's where deflect shines.

I remember a couple sword runs where some Elysium rooms I simply spammed Athena special until all the assholes killed themselves.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

What are the requirements for unlocking the final boss' super saiyan form? Got the (an?) epilogue and all trinkets.

Is it just me or have they nerfed the enemies a bit and/or powered up the boons? To be fair, it may just be because I dropped from heat 15 to 3 to rush the story along.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm partial to Hades spear.

No matter the aspect, if you find some time to charge up the sweep it's a monster AoE; the standard attack is chunky enough and fast enough that all kinds of attack boons work, even if there isn't an optimal one (*cough* Zeus attack on rail or gauntlets *cough*); the special is not a mainstay but it is ranged.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Omobono posted:

What are the requirements for unlocking the final boss' super saiyan form? Got the (an?) epilogue and all trinkets.

Nevermind, I just cleared the game a last time and the work order was purchasable.

YggiDee posted:

What the hell you guys, I'm at 40 runs and haven't finished Elysium yet.

It took me 50 tries I think? Once you clear Elysium the final area is nothing particularly difficult* ** and the final boss takes three or four tries to get the hang on.

*If you've cleared Elysium you've got the mob damage and the final area mobs have NOWHERE the health of those loving heroes.
**first encounter you finish, stop before going into the next chamber and memorize how the antidote fonts look.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Extreme measures 4 does NOT gently caress around, holy moly.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Extreme Measures MAX done on 2nd attempt (and one with a proper build). With a totally comfortable 50 HP to spare.

Changes:
a) Generally speaking longer attack strings. All the attacks keep on for a couple more swings.
b) He summons minibosses, as if the normal enemies weren't annoying enough :suicide:. I assume if Middle Management is also up they get those bonuses :shepicide:.
c) I was not expecting THAT one. Best Boy.
d) But I was expecting the last one. Second Death Defiance of course.

WarpedLichen posted:

Just beat Extreme Measures Hades for the first time and he does not gently caress around. I wish I had any clue what he was doing in the last phase.

It's phase 2 again (with some less HP I think) but you can't see poo poo.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 20, 2020

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gato posted:

How do you get the final heart for each of the Olympian gods? It's stopped giving me the option to give Nectar.

Keep picking up their boons and eventually you'll unlock it.
I think there might be other requirements for each god but they're hidden and you need a boon pickup anyways to go further.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

YggiDee posted:

So, if you're in one of the rooms where you have to pick a god, and the god you didn't pick is mad and trying to kill you, don't use a Greater Call from whoever is mad at you.

Calls (used to) function normally in that situation. Did they change it in version 1?

E: I have no idea what happens. I assume the greater call gets bounced back against you.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Off the top of my head, Ares, Dionysus and Demeter cast do not stick bloodstones into enemies.

Dionysus cast is bonkers (and you get two duos with Zeus or Demeter supercharging that cast);

Ares cast kinda needs some support but if you get the Artemis or Demeter duo it's a fire and forget tac-nuke. Baseline is still useful since release (they increased the size);

baseline Demeter cast is kinda bad, because it has negligible tracking in a fast and furious action RPG. Artemis duo gives it actually good tracking and checking the wiki the Aphrodite duo should also work somewhat, but I have no clue if it works in practice.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Manyorcas posted:

Mechanics question: For the god keepsakes, does that effect that gives you a higher chance to see that god only work once or could you keep a god's keepsake for a whole run and see more boons from them than you normally would?

Until you pick up a boon from the relevant god from a boon room, those keepsakes force any boon room that spawns to be from the relevant god. Notably:

a) Exits leading to other gods' boons may still spawn. If you take one of those exits, the forced spawn is not used up.
b) Buying up a boon from Charon doesn't consume the forced spawn.
c) Hermes is not affected, and an Hermes room can spawn before the keepsake God. Hermes has lines for this situation.
d) Double boon rooms are not influenced by the forced spawn, and both gods may be different from the keepsake one. However, if one of the gods is the keepsake one picking up their boon consumes the forced spawn.

I think this is all the edge cases.

Apart from that, the keepsakes always give their increased chance of better boon rarity with their associated god, even after the forced spawn has been used.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Melee weapons deal all the damage to counterbalance that, and there are strong defensive options to cover their weakness.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ciaphas posted:

jesus christ :stare:

i... thanks for the free win, game???

It's not that good?
Its actual effect is in keeping privileged status up automatically for as long as weak lasts (to be fair this is really good), but at 50% damage reduction for each consecutive doom tick it comes out to an absolute maximum of doubling the initial doom damage.

Although last time I got this duo I think it was at 75% reduction per consecutive doom tick, so maybe the damage component is decent now.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sekenr posted:

Guys, help me understand. I unlocked the ability to upgrade weapons and aspect of Zagreus gives +0% of this and that to all of them. What does this mean and why would I chhose that when other gods have non zero numbers?

Mouseover a weapon upgrade and it'll preview what the numbers will be after the upgrade. I have no clue how to show that on a console/with gamepad.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Munkaboo posted:

I've never seen that Aphrodite legendary, is that 15% charm on hit or do you have to wait for the weak to expire

On hit. It's one of the strongest legendaries anythings in the game if paired with anything that attacks fast; it's still really good even if you have weak only on cast or similar.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

PantsBandit posted:

So once I've got someone to the lock icon it's just a matter of continuing to play and talk to them until I'm prompted to give them ambrosia yeah?

There are probably some hidden requirements for people. For example I'm still locked with Cerberus (I assume because I've been skimping on the pets).

Anyone knows how do you fulfill the Charon prophecy? I did beat him twice in a row, does it need to be in the same run? Does the first time not count?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Martman posted:

It's kinda weird since if each stack only ever lasts its pre-determined time, then the only reason for the stack limit as far as I can imagine is that Hangover effects were just too freakin' overpowered and they had to semi-arbitrarily nerf them..
At common rarity, Dionysus's attack deals 4 damage per tick at 8 ticks total. That's 32 total damage. At epic, it's 7 per tick, 56 total.
Zeus's attack, the gold standard for fast attacking weapons, is 10 at common, 20 at epic.

Now, Zeus has way better zap support in his line than Dionysus's hangover support, but Dio has roughly triple the base damage. No stacking limit hangover would be horribly OP.

By the way, at epic Dio's call is 144 damage per hangover stack, so at least 720 over 5 stacks. Confront with Artemis who has an average of 162 damage per cast, 202.5 after normalizing for the god gauge discount, 405 per quarter god gauge during the full gauge volley.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Aphrodite has the hardest to avoid Trial by loving far and I will take her over anything else
although one time I had to choose between her and Demeter in one of those small rooms in Elysium and I wanted to cry

She has the heat-seeking heart that stuns on contact, right? She's one of the gods I don't mind pissing off, but it depends on how your brain notices the pink.
As an ex WoW player, Demeter is my worst bane because years of raiding taught me that blue circles can be safely ignored.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Elman posted:

She's petty as hell, she drove Arachne to suicide for being better than her at sewing, then turned her into a spider. Also turned one of her priests into Medusa for the crime of being raped (by Poseidon) in her temple.

All in all she's one of the more reasonable Greek gods.

Hades is usually the most reasonable one, worst thing he does in the myths is kidnapping Persephone. Athena is a distant second because she can usually keep her pettiness in check.

Every other God and Goddess is a petty insecure (wo)manchild. Like, Artemis and Apollo? When they're bored, they go do some target practice on actual living people. That's what heart attacks and strokes are in Greek myth.

E:

veems posted:

OK, can someone tell me how to unlock the hidden fist aspect? I've had all the other aspects unlocked for a while, I've spent a ton of blood on the fists (because the fists rule), done like 20 runs since 1.0 came out, but I still haven't gotten it.

I don't know the other requirements, but Asterios (solo encounter) is the one that gives the phrase.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

No Wave posted:

There is no point of diminishing returns for health. It scales linearly forever. You can often get well above 300 without ever picking health over a boon.

Nope, linear scaling does inherently have diminishing returns.

The first two hearts (or the mirror option) double your life from 50 to 100. That's an 100% boost.

Going from 250 to 300 is a 20% boost.
Going from 500 to 550 is a 10% boost.

The more you have, the less useful even more is.

Having said that, money > health/boons in my opinion after you have a decent HP buffer because money = boons at Charon's.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I did a milk run to farm some darkness and I got an insane high roll :psyduck:

Not pictured: Poseidon attack, rupture and legendary.
The only thing missing was +weak duration, but Aphrodite never offered it.

I passed over all second hammer opportunities because anything but the bazooka would have been useless.

Ciaphas posted:

What do you think about FO2? I still have only one win on that out of about eight attempts. It seems doable but my god those flame wheels and chariots. I've lost 3/4 of a life in every room with those, so far. And Asterius & Other Guy is rough still, too - not to mention Dad.

But six heat for something I know I can get used to is a lot!!

FO1 is a freebie, FO2 can be a problem, once you go up never* disengage it or you risk losing muscle memory.

*only Sith deal in absolutes Hades has no hard rules, just guidelines

E: I think a post where I describe FO2 as a milk run clearly outlines my thoughts on the matter, doesn't it?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ciaphas posted:

got any advice for flame wheels/chariots, besides gitgud of course? didn't have a problem with them at all on FO0, just dash right on through, but I'm getting winged hard trying that at FO2

Small chariots, drop everything and anything you're doing and kite them until they're gone. With some practice, you can do hit and run on other enemies while this is going on and whittling the small ones with ranged attacks and dash-strikes.
You might notice this is horrible advice if you're on a time limit.

Big chariots, they have to catch their breath after a charge. Use geometry to kite, go in immediately when they stop moving and unload. Dash through them if there's no geometry to abuse, they have a smallish but non-zero turn radius.

E: and yeah, those two enemy types are loving annoying. Practicing until :gitgud: is kinda required to get the timings down.