Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Hmmm, a quick question about mechanics. If you have a boon that adds another source of damage on Attack/Special (ie: Ares, Zeus or Dionysus boons) the damage from it is considered independent from the actual weapon damage, right? In other words, if I get Chaos boon or an Aspect that boosts Attack/Special damage, it will not boost the damage of, for example, Doom that the Attack/Special applies on hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Chiron Aspect is strong(est) aspect, but you need like, 10 Titan Blood for it to actually work and I dunno if that's an investment someone who doesn't like bow gameplay and just wants to have a clear with it is willing to make.

If someone wants to heavily use the bow, then Chiron Aspect is obviously worth it, but if you just want a quick clear with bow, or something to use when the Dark Thirst lands on it again, I would recommend Hera. You need just 2 Titan Blood to unlock everything important and being able to load all 3 casts into an arrow and shoot it for a massive damage is powerful, fun and actually kinda different compared to ordinary Bow playstyle. Every cast outside of Demeter works well with it, Daedalus Hammers don't really matter and basically all you have to mind during the run is to try and get every boon that support Casts, wherever it is Cast damage, number of shard or any other supporting effect, depending on which god Cast are you using.

Keep an eye for incredible Cast duos like Artemis + Poseidon (each Cast has two projectiles instead of 1) or Artemis + Hades (blade whirlwind home on targets, vital if you want to make Ares Cast work), load all Casts into bow, attack for massive damage, then either collect shard from corpse (pretty much all ordinary enemies, Elysium included) or dodge/hide until the shards drop (bosses) and do it again.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 17, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1329109716891357184?s=19

I figured it would hapoen but still gently caress yeah.

I feel that Hades is probably the best game out of that line-up (super subjective, I know), while also simultaneously having the smallest social media footprint, so it's almost guaranteed it won't win.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
TBF, being a blood relative has never stopped anybody in Greek Mythology. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Well, Thanatos is more or less your step-brother, so... :v:

But yes, I agree, the game largely un-squicked this particular part of Greek Mythology, for obvious and good reasons.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Dash everywhere, all the time, forever. House of Hades included. Walking is for mortals. :colbert:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 5, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Artemis call is great because it offers solid chunk of guaranteed damage without any interruption of your usual gameplay. You have to pretend to be a surfer or beyblade to get full use out of Poseidon or Ares, you have to keep close to the enemy to get full use of Dionysus and Zeus and you have to keep the enemy in specific part of room to get full use of Demeter. Poseidon does out-damage Artemis in vacuum, but it does not out-damage Artemis + pummeling the enemy with your build for the duration you are trying to do sick wheelies under Poseidon call. Its best call if your build already does lots of damage and you are confident the way you are playing with it is safe enough, so all you want out of the call is just to add more damage to what you are already doing (in other words - when you have a good build). Athena is similar, but more focused in giving you more safety and more space to do damage. Aphrodite is similar as well and does more damage at max gauge (unless you are lucky with crits, or have crit build), but outside of max gauge, charm is fairly lovely call effect when you don't have that special boon combo that allows you to just constantly rapid fire it.

The worst call is probably either Dionysus or Zeus, despite the damage they can do, because you are forced to stay in close proximity to enemies without any additional protection to get any real use out of them. Artemis, Aphrodite and Athena are my top three calls unless my build is focused on specific god and synergizes with their calls, because they give you either safety to do damage or additional safe damage (at max gauge) while you are doing damage which is just universally valuable.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

fool of sound posted:

You only have to be in proximity for 1.5 seconds at a time; in fact using Dio at full charge is a damage loss cause you're going to overcap badly on hangover stacks.

Part of the reason I put Dio there is because, counter-intuitively, Max Gauge Call for Dio is pretty much useless. Outside of that, getting into proximity for 1.5s is still breaking a pattern and taking unnecessary risks for pretty much every weapon outside of fists. Zeus is worse because you have to stay close for duration of the call, but can get far more busted (and safer) when combined with other Zeus boons, so it kinda equalizes. Both of them are still the only calls that force you to take risks to apply their effects which is why I rate them so badly.

@Omobono Artemis call job is burst damage without opportunity cost and is solid at that. You can just weave Artemis call between your attacks or casts or dodges without missing a beat for guaranteed 100+ damage each time you have a gauge (and you will have gauge all the time) which you can't really do with any other call. Although I agree that Aphrodite being able to beat Artemis at her own game on Max Gauge is dumb.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Heliotrope posted:

For the dialogue with Hades for fighting him without any boons, do you need to avoid getting them the whole run or just not have any when you show up to the fight? I might go for that for fun sometime soon.

What exactly counts as "boon" for triggering the dialogue? Does Chaos boons and Hermes boons count?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The problem with Zeus is that you get Zeus rare+ boon in Tartarus on your main form of offense for your current weapon, think "gently caress yes, it's time for Zeus build!" and then not get a second Zeus boon until the one offered for 450 gold in Styx. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lol

Playing with EM4 and FO2 and Hades just spawned two Sneaks on his second "miniboss summoning" during phase one. I literally went from full health and 3 DDs to getting sent back to House Hades without doing more than like 100 damage. So this is how it feels to be on receiving end of broken build, huh.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

They need to stop playing scared, dash into enemies, try to stab them in the back with a good weapon....

They are already playing with spear, tho? :confused:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I just refuse to clear 32 heat without EM4, because I already decided that I will consider Hades "finished" when I complete a 32 heat run and beating EM4, 32 heat Hades is just a perfect capstone to end the game on. Incidentally, this also means that I won't be finishing Hades anytime soon. :v:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Cow is really deceptively dangerous with any kind of Forced Overtime speed boost. I'd almost say he rivals Dad on just how much health he can chip if you're not careful.

Asterius with FO 2 is just absolute bullshit. His charge is fast enough that it's impossible to run away or dodge from it unless you had some ridiculous luck with Hermes and have like, +3 dashes or monstrous movement speed or both. So you have to rely on leading him to crashing into pillars and walls. Except then, you notice that his collision detection is buggy as gently caress and unless he hits the pillar/wall dead center, he will just drift around/along it and continue the charge and again, unless you have mad Hermes luck, you won't have enough mobility to lead him to another pillar/wall when that happens. So each time he does that move, it's basically a coin toss between you dodging it and you getting hit for at least 30+ damage (I think 30 is the base damage for that ability?). I'm raging but fighting Asterius is basically the only instance where I'm guaranteed to lose DD before Hades, and it always feels incredibly cheap.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Lol, ok FO2 Hades is fast enough that even with Epic lvl 6 Slicing Shot with Artemis Duo and Ares Legendary, the blade whirlwinds don't do more than 200-300 damage per full cast (ie. 3 of them), because they simply can't keep up with him running around.
Getting Epic Ares Cast and Ares/Artemis Duo in Tartarus made the whole run up to that point a cakewalk, but I don't think I ever saw a build that fell apart as quickly against Hades as this one.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, there aren't that many buffs to Cast damage, so the 150% Cast damage bonus on fully upgraded Aspect of Achilles is actually far bigger deal than it seems at first glance. It's a really good Aspect for Cast builds.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I think fastest I saw a new player beat Hades was one of the streamers (Sacriel, I think?) who managed to luck into Aphrodite legendary boon and then stunlock everything to death on like 3rd or 4th run.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

serefin99 posted:

If you have Aphrodite, the call doesn't even need to be fully charged. Charming Theseus when he's using his own call causes him to focus the attacks on himself.

Wait, are you serious? :stare:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 7, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

Charm does work on bosses, and will cause them to attack the enemies they spawn or even themselves, depending on the attack.

Charm has a much shorter duration on bosses, though - it only lasts for about a second. It does tend to interrupt whatever they were doing at the moment you charmed them, though, so it's still really good.

Yeah, I know about the super cheesy charm stunlock on bosses, I just didn't thought you could get them to attack themselves. It somehow never came up whenever I was lucky enough to get Charm on my run.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i get why theyre making a sequel to their critically acclaimed commercial smash hit but i was hoping theyd move on to something new

I absolutely can't fault them for making a sequel to the game that was several times more successful than all of their previous titles put together.

Besides, it's no like getting more Hades is bad.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Don't Ask posted:

No way, Tisiphone or bust.

In a twist, Tisiphone spent too much time around Zagreus and now is unbearably chatty.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SirKibbles posted:

You can't tell me that Hera being the saltiest person ever would not be gold.

We might be getting Zeus and Hera in a single game. Imagine having to choose between boons of those two. :allears:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

YaketySass posted:

It's gonna be revealed that with the same anachronism as the Adamant Rail, Poseidon has his own motorcycle and convertible car.

Poseidon absolutely owns a sail boat, which is also the place where he lives. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

Spear is kinda weird imho, it has a lot of neat features but they don’t…gel together as well as other weapons? Something that is pretty useful for using the spear as hidden tech is that if you charge the normal then dash you do the dash and then instantly pop off the charged attack. Same thing works with the sword normal, which is really weird since there’s a hammer option that’s literally just that.

That works for all Spear spins and it's what makes them usable, because trying to charge the spin stationary, while there are enemies in a hit range, is basically a suicide, outside of Hades Aspect.