Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

speaking of bloodstones, does the extra damage when embedded in an enemy stack with multiple bloodstones? in other words, is it worth it to shoot all my bloodstones in one tough guy to get 150% bonus from 3, or would it only count the first 50% bonus and ignore any additional bloodstones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

generally speaking, being able to know which gods have a chance at giving you good boons to go with your weapon or build for that run will go a long way. Unfortunately, the only way to get this knowledge is to play a lot to recognize what the potential boons could be. Another important aspect of getting good builds is to make sure you're focusing on boons for a chosen style. In other words, don't take any boons that affect your casts unless you plan on relying completely on your cast. Likewise, try to make sure you pick up as many boons as you can that give you more attack or special damage if you are planning on ignoring your casts. Stuff like that. On a personal note, I always try to avoid any boons that do something when you get hit, since you should never plan on getting hit in the first place.

That being said, being able to dash and counterattack during enemy openings and then dash out without getting hit is extremely important for being able to consistently do well. Good players, even with bad or nonexistent builds are usually able to reliably beat the final boss on low/no heat runs just through their own skill in the game. One big thing I tend to see with new players is that they completely ignore their casts. I know I said to focus on boons for your style, but even without taking any other boons, the default cast is really useful for giving you a ton of extra damage. You can power it up in the mirror pretty early on so that if the cast is embedded in the enemy, you get a pretty sizable damage bonus.

I recently won my first run and it happened with my least favorite weapon, the rail. I then proceeded to go on a 7 run winstreak and beat the final boss with every weapon in the game. Im now turning up heat levels and unlocking other aspects, but im kinda intimidated to go back and lose my winstreak

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Incoherence posted:

I'll almost always take some sort of cast boon at some point, if only for the added damage on a button I'm pressing fairly regularly anyway, and I try to be flexible late. I've been surprised at just how bad some of my winning builds have been: sometimes it's just because I can whittle down bosses through attrition, and sometimes it's because I get bailed out late with a boon combo I wasn't necessarily expecting to build for.

That can be true for most of the cast boons, but some don't embed into the enemy like Ares' blade rifts or Demeter's crystal laser things. I'm not sure on the exact math, but I'm pretty positive that you will end losing damage on those boons if you don't take additional boons to power up your casts when compared to just embedding the default cast and wailing on the enemy with the damage bonus.

That's what I was getting at earlier when I said to stick to a play-style for a run; if you're focusing on boons that build up your attack damage, then spending 2 or 3 boons on casts can set you back on the damage curve more than you would think. Of course, you don't always have the option of taking boons that help what you're focusing on and there are some good one-boon wonders for casts tho so its not like that's always the wrong choice or anything. Just gotta play the game and see what's comfortable for you.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

my biggest crutch boon is the hermes one that gives u a speed boost and damage reduction for .5 seconds after a dash. That one boon can almost guarantee that I will make it to the end boss, if not win the run outright every time. It makes the third world bosses so much easier when i can safely reposition anywhere at the drop of a hat and run circles around them in the arena

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya agreed. That's why I like the prophecy choices icon popping up during a run. Def lead to a lot of unexpected combos and interactions

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

One of my fav builds that you can do early on is dodge stacking with the Zag aspect for the fists. It only takes 5 titan blood to max out the aspect and the rest should be easy to get. You will need the alternate dash skill on the mirror, the one that gives you just one dash but also a 50% dodge chance if you dash near an attack. You will also need Hermes gift, the lambet plume

With max zag on the fists, you get 15% dodge and with the plume, you will get more dodge each time you clear a room quickly. Its pretty easy to get it 20% or above by the end of a run.

Look for hermes boons during the run, the game should give you 2 by the end. You will want the boons that give extra dashes, so its easier to proc the extra dodge chance, and the extra dodge chance boon, which adds like 10%-20% dodge.

When you have the right boons, you will be at or above 100% dodge chance every time you dash near something for 2 seconds. Makes the last fight into a complete cakewalk

As for general advice, get very good at doing dash attacks with almost every weapon. They come out so quick and you can spam them constantly. Also, keep playing till you start to memorize all the gods and their boons. Being able to quickly game out the best possible builds when looking at your options will go a long way towards getting you consistent clears

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 23, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

scribe jones posted:

this post uses “dodge” every time it should say “dash” and it has given me permanent brain damage. other than that, good advice.

bah, youre completely right. fixed that up so its more clear

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

I dunno titan blood seems to be in short supply for my dumb rear end that has cleared furies with all six weapons but has never beaten a run. I do know to check Wretched Broker every time and I do know you can buy blood late game at Charon. But I don't have lots of spare titan blood.

between the 6 weapons and broker trading your ambrosia for blood, you should be able to get more than enough to max out 1 zag aspect. If youve been spending them elsewhere tho, ya youre out of luck until you can clear. Fists is the only Zag aspect I'd recommend putting blood into at the start since the other weapons' aspects seem to be better than the zag ones for the most part. Of course, that comes down personal preference tho

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

does the maim effect from the gilgamesh gloves count towards privileged status?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

SuperKlaus posted:

Hm, so pom is a disfavored choice? I was beginning to feel that way on my own TBH.

pom is heavily dependent on where in the run you are and what boons you have imo. If its the start of the run and you only have a few boons, at least one of which is augmenting your damage, then you should go for poms. They can increase your damage alot and damage is king for every run. Not to mention, its much easier to pom the boon you want when you dont have a lot of boons to dilute to pool of what you can pick

However, when you get to the end of each floor and are offered a choice between the shop or the free pom, I would recommend going with the shop if you have enough to purchase a boon or two. The right boon early in the run can save an otherwise disastrous run. Sometimes you even get lucky and the shop will offer a pom, in addition to boons or health

There's an item and upgrades you can get later that will randomly upgrade boons during a run so poms become less important, but its still nice being able to reliably boost your damage, especially early in a run

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Im quite partial to Achilles spear. Not only is that extra damage super spicy, but i think my brain is wired in the right way to be able to effortlessly incorporate the spear throw dash into my normal rotation of attacks. I love repositioning with it.

I was also one of the 4 ppl that liked that one special dash hammer upgrade for the sword for similar reasons before they redesigned it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

EM 3 is pretty fun and EM4 can be good to turn on from time to time. I like the tight deadline ones as well since the first 2 levels are very easy to complete with almost any build.

I try to avoid anything that adds to how much time it takes to clear things. So stuff like extra enemy health or extra adds are a no go for me. Conversely, the one that makes enemies move and attack faster is great cause it adds a lot of heat and it makes clears even faster; im pretty sure that the animation to spawn them in is faster too. I do need to be careful around the range enemies cause they will spam attacks so drat fast.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

More adds is more money drops, it’s not all bad unless you’re playing with a tight time limit

i know, but being able to buy 2-4 more boons per run doesnt really offset it enough for me. More adds not only makes runs take longer, it also makes hard rooms way harder, chaos boons way more risky, and kinda makes every run feel like more of a slog imo

but this is the beauty of the Pact of Punishment; everyone can customize it to their personal preferences. I really hope other devs are taking lots of notes about Hades and its difficulty curve

I also try to shoot for sub-20 minute runs every time, even when I have no time limit. Even with all my practice, I still cant get sub-20 with the bow :argh:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's a ridiculously good idea. Where did you put reload? I'm going to futz with it gently caress up for a while, but there'll be the ideal set-up.

Post your controller set ups if you use one.

i never changed dash, but I did swap reload with the journal button. I guess with dash on trigger, you could swap it with either the call or the cthonic companion. still have room for reload on the shoulder, dash on trigger, journal on the joystick click, and call/companion on south face button

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Party Boat posted:

The default binding for reload on the gun is clicking the right stick which never felt good to me. I switched it with the button for the codex and suddenly the gun was actually usable

After doing this, i used the aspect that boosts your damage after a reload and it was a ton of fun. I kept boosting my attack damage with boons and poms and by the end of the run i was doing 800+ damage per shot. Just fire reload fire reload fire etc all the way to an easy win

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Ouroboros posted:

Just got this game and it rules, I have a feeling I must be doing something wrong though; is Hades meant to be such a massive difficulty spike? I can get to him fairly reliably now and I just as reliably instantly eat poo poo every time. He just does so much loving damage, even when I get there with a huge hp pool and a death defiance or 2 in the bag, he just 2 shots me then kills me again before I can do anything. One time I managed to get to phase 2 just because I had such insane damage but I still died within about 10 seconds of the fight starting

sounds like you are overcommitting in your attacks against dad. You can try to dps race him, but it probably wont go well without some amazing boons and aspect bonuses.

try to only use one dash to approach so you will always have another ready to go if you need to retreat away from his attacks. Be a bit more passive next time and try to recognize his tells so you know when you need to retreat. The game helpfully shows on the ground where he will do his spinning attack that does a ton of damage so you can dodge it. You can also try to i-frame dodge through his attacks, but thats tricky to be able to reliably pull off

Another thing to keep in mind is that if he hits you with his ranged skulls, you will get the boiling blood status and take a lot more damage from his attacks for a few seconds. If that happens, its best to just dash away and wait for it to run out. I ruined my 40+ win streak the other day cause I got cocky and ate two 90 damage hits right in a row due to that drat debuff. i was also quite drunk at the time too so my reflexes were poo poo

Just keep doing runs and eventually you will win. Being able to consistently get to the final boss is a huge hurdle to overcome so youre really close to being able to beat him

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

For sword, id recommend going with nemesis. Get a good Artemis boon and youll be doing a ton of damage

I like Zeus for the shield. Theres so many synergies with it and its a lot of fun to use

For the rail, i cant really praise hestia enough. It seems like itd be a pain, but as long as you rebind the default reload button, it becomes second nature to just reload after every shot. If you stack damage boons and get lucky with chaos, you can break 800 damage a shot and melt everything

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the thing that kinda stings with Pat is that if you get to him with full lives and near full health then he's kinda :shrug:

the damage boost is nice and will always help with the third boss, but then you cant rely on it to help with the final boss so its kinda a wash. He might be able to salvage a run, but he wont be able to turn a bad build into a good one

def prefer Eurydice since her stuff is permanent and always helpful

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

When i first started, priviledge status was the bees knees. It gave me much needed damage to power through a bunch of runs.

However, i now favor family fave since its much easier to roll with whatever gods are offered. With PS, you kinda need to avoid really good gods like Zeus or Broseidon or Athena since you need at least 2 boons to get their curses, which is never guaranteed, even with trinkets

Its a personal pref, but i really like FF since i no longer need to min-max my god picks and can instead go with whatever im vibing with at the time. If you've only used PS, try switching and giving FF a try and see if you like it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

not using calls isnt that big of a deal, ive completed a lot of runs without a call, but you really should try to incorporate casts more into your strategy. There's a mirror talent you can take that will increase your damage up to 50% if an enemy has a cast embedded in them. This is a massive damage boost that can make a huge difference for boss fights. This is doubly useful since it works with the default cast so you dont need to use a boon to get the most out of it

id also recommend trying out as many different builds/boons as possible because you might be surprised by how powerful they can end up being. I really like the fated prophecies or whatever theyre called that tell you the boons you havent picked yet since it gently pushes players into trying out boons that they normally would ignore

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

What attack boon do y’all like for the railgun’s Aspect of Hestia? I’m in a state of complete indecision. I’m thinking Poseidon‘a attack might be my preferred attack boon with this gun, but I’m having a hard time making a compelling argument for any specific boon. The only one I’m not considering is Artemis since the first attack out of Hestia is always a crit, which makes her attack boon seem rather pointless. I guess I’d be nice for follow up attacks?

im personally a huge fan of Aphrodite attack on hestia. It gives a MASSIVE increase to damage and procs weakness, which reduces the enemy's attack and can help with privileged status if youre running that mirror upgrade. Demeter can work too, but chill seems less useful than weakness and you really have to stack it to get the most out of it

poseidon could be good too, but most things will die to that first shot so the knockback isnt really that necessary

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gave maxed out hidden bow a try and oh man, I had a broken run

got aphrodite attack that I somehow pommed to lvl 8 and my hammers were the double shoot and the one that increases the power shot damage by 150%. By the end, a power shot was doing 1600+ damage :stare:

completely melted the final boss and got my first under 20 minute run with the bow, which is usually by far my slowest weapon. Finally have sub 20 min runs with all the weapons now

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

RatHat posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize the damage bonus from Aspect of Achilles worked on Casts too.

oh ya, i had a crazy run with that the other day. Went all in on dio cast with the stygian soul mirror upgrade. Lucked into a chaos upgrade that gave me an extra bloodstone, and I got two duo boons from zeus and demeter with dio that made the festive fog chilly and thundery

I was able to drop 2 700+ damage nukes every 3 seconds and they would linger and cause DoTs to any enemies in the area. Finally beat EM4 with the spear with that build

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

TIL that you can basically one-shot skelly with the hidden bow aspect

https://i.imgur.com/yZQzJ94.mp4

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

zag fists are great because they only need 5 blood to max out

in addition to that, if you run the lambet plume with them and the mirror talent that replaces your extra dash with the one that gives you extra dodge chance, then you can build up enough dodge chance over a run to basically be invincible by the end fight

for the rail, i really like using hestia. Just switch the rebinds for reload and journal and the weapon then becomes an easy to use nuke. Very fun

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

maxed out hidden bow is nuts, and pretty easy to use. Just use special, then do a power attack for big numbers. Embed a bloodstone for extra damage. You can also hit multiple enemies with the special to link them

upthread, i posted a vid where I did 840 damage in one shot to skelly. I dont think any other aspect can come close to that damage. 2nd best ive been able to do was 450 with hestia. main downside to both of these aspects is that they are way better when maxed out in blood

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ive never run out of time before on the pact. What happens? Does your health slowly tick down or something like that?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

cast is great once you get used to it and invest a bit in the mirror. Its free ranged damage and you can get some wild boons for it to make it really powerful. Theres a mirror skill that lets you do +50% damage to enemies with a cast embedded that really helps with tough bosses

as for chaos, its a risk vs reward kinda thing, but i feel like its worth it most of the time. The boost to your attack doesnt seem too big on paper but IIRC it ends up being one of the most effective ways to boost attack/special/dash-attacks due to the way the math works. Theres a lot of different chaos boons that can really boost your builds effectiveness but you gotta play around with it for a bit to see what works

and yeah, asphodel sucks big time imo. I hate the teleporting enemies and the arenas are so drat large. thankfully its pretty short

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 31, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

zag fist with lambet plume

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm tempted to make it my default spear because it's so interesting and different, I'm getting a bit tired of Achilles' runs, and the Hades Spear is fun but if you don't get the right hammers it's a bit mediocre. It's just that health cut is harsh and I know I won thanks to the amazing build I had that game, and I don't know if that would hold up otherwise. That said, I need to get over the fear of breaking my streak and suck it up.

Have you tried using cast builds with Achilles? That is my main spear too and I was getting a bit bored of it so i tried doing some cast builds and im back in love with it again.

Just had a Dio cast build where I got lucky with chaos so my cast ended up doing 1100+ damage. Completely melted everything, it was great

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, im more a fan of nemesis aspect instead of hidden sword since its moveset is so much faster and it still puts out big numbers.

Hidden sword feels like a liability at times with how slow it is.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao here’s my current heat with everything

Fists:10
Swordmaster: 9
Spear: 8
Rail: 10
Shield: 8
Bow: 3

People all over the Internet keep telling me that the bow is so OP, so strong, best weapon etc etc and no matter what build U follow or what guide I choose, it just feels like dogshit to me, it sucks and I hate it.

Any bow tips that really mix it up or is this weapon just “not for me”?

ive harped on this ITT before, but the hidden bow aspect is insanely good. You dont even need a specific build to make it work. Just hit enemies with the special first, then the main shot and you will obliterate everything

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Mescal posted:

One of the Reddit explainers linked earlier tried to sort out how the system rolls for boons and chooses what to present--that it rolls for everything and presents the highest rarity boons the dice came up with, except to offer a more common boon that fills in one of the main slots. This isn't true. Lately I've gotten a lot of choose-agains that show this. For example just now I got one that presented three common, non-"vital" boons, then at reroll gave me a rare attack boon.

i think that only applies to the very first boon of the run. That boon will always offer core boons i.e. attack, special, dash, etc; even to the point where it will throw out higher rarity non-core boons it rolled behind the scenes to offer common ones to fill the slots. After that, there is some kind of weighing system for offering core boons that havent been filled yet, so if you're missing a boon for your special, special boons will be more likely to be offered, but its not guaranteed at that point

I dont know the specifics tho so I could be wrong on some parts, but based on my experience it works out like this

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

might want to spoiler that gif. Since Hades kinda recently came out on GamePass, there have been several new players in the thread and Im guessing a lot havent seen EM4 final boss

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Aw poo poo really? I don't like that. Like 90% of my runs end at theseus and the minotaur. So I won't get bounties until I go all the way? That kinda blows.

Idk if it's this game or a function of genre, but I get annoyed at the upgrade rng. Feels like if I don't luck into something hilariously overpowered, I'm done at theseus.

Once u get more used to the game, it gets pretty easy to clear a run and get the upgrade materials. Just gotta stick with it

Also, as you unlock more mechanics, you get ways to bend the rng to your favor. Eventually, youll be able to almost guarantee any build you want, as long as you have a clear idea of what your building towards at the start of a run

Id recommend using the Olympic gods trinkets since those are some of the most effective ways to get the specific boons you want

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

RadioDog posted:

Finally beat the final boss (after 75 runs, because I suck at this) and wanted to let you know this was how I did it. You really are untouchable at that point, it's pretty funny. So thanks!

Hell yeah, glad that worked for ya. Now you gotta practice turning up the heat

Half of Dracula posted:

the context of the quoted statement is for the Adamant Rail I believe.

And I agree with it unless you really just want to shoot ice beams with the hidden aspect (Valid)

They said demeter was bad for everything except hestia, which is weird since aphro would be best for hestia since it does more damage and you dont have to stack the curse like you do with dem

Demeter is super solid for attack overall tho. It has the 2nd highest percentage damage increase of any of the core boons and the curse is pretty helpful, tho like i mentioned it needs to be stacked to get the most out of it. I think it works best with medium damage, fast attack weapons like the sword or shield since the percentage increase can work out better than the flat damage increase boons like zeus or dio

At the end of the day tho, it comes down to preference since pretty much any core boon can be effective with any aspect if the player is skilled enough

Except dio dash, man that boon sucks

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Quarterroys posted:

Had my first successful escape the other day - attempt 33!

Had a great build with the Chiron bow where i stacked Ares/doom on special, Aphrodite attack, and had a ton of synergy boons between those two gods.

I knew the run was something special when I got Theseus/Asterius to just MELT. Super satisfying.

Hades fights now feel like they have so much less pressure, great to get over the hump.

Trying to wean myself off the bow now. Is the rail gun aspect with the attack bonus on manual reload pretty fun?

Congrats on the win. Chiron bow is a thread favorite for a reason

Hestia is one of my favorite aspects in the game tho. Once its maxed out, it does crazy damage. I like rocking aphro attack with it and then i try to get lucky with a +attack chaos boon. If i get enough poms, i can do 800+ damage per shot, which melts everything in the game

Be sure to change your controls cause otherwise its kinda awkward. I reccomend switching the reload button with the journal button

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Hopper posted:

Not against Hades, because you can drop the cast just before he fires his beams in Phase 2 then dash into cover. That way he keeps taking damage while you otherwise can't reach him because you need to be in cover.

unless youre doing EM4, you dont need to take cover during that 360 laser blast. I know it seems scary, but if you get right up next Hades during that attack, and I mean as close as possible, you wont take any damage and you can continue to wail on him the entire time. Very risky to pull off, but its super satisfying to beat his rear end during that attack

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

depends on what you mean by high heat, but ive managed to clear 20 heat with that build and it was just as easy as always. Main thing is to avoid the pacts that make encounters take longer such as Jury Summons or Calisthenics since those make it much harder to get the plume bonus. Obviously you should take a few ranks of Tight Deadline, but Id also really recommend the first rank in Forced Overtime as well. That will make the enemies spawn in faster which can help you clear the rooms quicker

Not sure how well they hold up on 32+ heat tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Knot My President! posted:

I've done like 80 runs and I can't bring myself to use the bow nor spear at all :negative: I just can't get into their playstyles. Anyone have the same experience or advice?

hidden aspect bow is the most powerful aspect in the whole game. Tag someone with the special first and it will nuke them when you hit them with the main attack. You also need to back a bit since it takes a little while to charge the attack. You honestly dont even need specific boons with this build, it will work with almost anything. Just try to boost attack whenever possible

Achilles spear is my go-to for spear. When using it, try to go for a cast build since the aspect will boost the damage through the roof. I recommend Dionysus, especially if you can get the duo boons with Zeus and Demeter. Either of those duo boons will basically make your build an easy win. Aphrodite cast can also work well, but Im not a fan of that one since I have a hard time hitting enemies reliably with it