Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I got this game yesterday and managed to beat Hades for the first time on run #10, after losing to his first stage on two consecutive runs and his second stage on the next one (:negative:).

The bow with the Athena boon for special deflect is broke as gently caress but maybe that'll even out once I start turning up the heat, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The first heat that I put on was traps and magma do more damage because avoiding traps is pretty trivial and punching things into magma makes Asphodel go faster already. It's all bonus if you don't gently caress up real bad.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Not a Children posted:

Everyone says Demeter's cast is so great but I find it's generally too slow to track most enemies effectively

I'd rather have nearly anyone else's

It's excellent for bosses because you can predictably kite most of them along the length of the beam so the damage has the highest uptime. Especially bosses that just stand there for an extended period of a few seconds, like, say, Hades doing his beam thing.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jokes posted:

I have yet to get a single Demeter thing yet. Artemis also seems to be kind of poo poo compared to Zeus or Ares or Dionysus or...

Artemis can get really stupid really fast stacking crit chance and bonus crit damage but individually they're not super great. It's entirely possible to get to ~40% crit chance and +240% (total) crit damage spiking up to 70% chance if they're marked and it turns out that cranking the DPS dial up by 200% after damage modifiers can get to some pretty silly numbers.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Waltzing Along posted:

Is Aphrodite's Aid the best one? The others all seem to be hard to control. Hers is just summon = 2500 boom and done. And on stage 3 boss they beat on each other for a while, as a bonus.

Athena's and Ares's are both pretty solid, since Athena's invulnerability can last forever and let you just wail on Hades, and Ares's also gives you invulnerability for a solid chunk even if it does less damage than you probably would.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I added Middle Management to my list a few runs ago and it's been a generally really easy way to handle things, especially since it's entirely possible to dodge a mini-boss at all on some stages.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

NoMas posted:

Im at the point where I need to farm loads of diamonds for renovations....why only diamonds

I feel like diamonds spawn for sale in Styx more frequently than blood, so save some cash and you can get two per run.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Serephina posted:

I think we need to put a loving sticky/update the OP about how heat rewards work. It's asked literally every other page, probably more often.

If they're unable or unwilling to read the step by step instructions and actually look at the rewards on the pact menu, what makes you think anyone would bother to look at the OP?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

terrorist ambulance posted:

Depends on the attack. Crits on chiron or guan yu special are pretty strong

Crits on Lucifer attack just ended up being loving hilarious for me and when given time to actually line up the full beam was fully capable of putting up 1800 damage streaks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dusa is a weird one and you have to give her loads of ambrosia. Like, 10+ I think.

It's 10 (1/2/3/4) for her last four gifts, but at the end of it you can get them all back and there's no downside to accepting the return.

You have to do a bunch of lounge stuff with tee contractor to finish her favor before you can start piling on the gifts again.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Serephina posted:

As in maxing Poseidon's heart meter? I think it's about catching all the types of fish in every (normal, 4-act) biome, rather than catching fish in that exact run. I know that it took me ages, but once I finally caught my first legendary fish in Asphodel the very next run (which I forced with trinket) he commented on it and unlocked.

That's a prophecy. The favor to unlock the rest of his meter is that you have to have caught a fish in the run before you speak to him the first time that run.

Basically you have to go out of your way to avoid him on that run until you've caught a fish, and if you can't do that then oh well better luck next run.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Arcturas posted:

Ugh game just give me the Ares legendary. I have tried to force this like three games in a row, and it’s just not happening.

Ares was the last Legendary I got, exactly because the build for it is bullshit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Rand Brittain posted:

There's also stuff like a conversation where Nyx is telling Megaera that she can never get away from her sisters and it will always be her responsibility to make them a productive part of her life.

Nyx is nice to Zagreus but she's super not a great person to be around for anyone else. Presumably being the mother of the fates has not done wonders to her ability to empathize with other peoples' struggles.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

WhiteHowler posted:

Just took the hidden Rail aspect to the surface on an EM3 run and beat the boss on a pretty great build -- Demeter attack, Dio cast, with a bunch of supporting boons.

And then at the Victory screen, the game crashed to desktop.

When I loaded it back up, I was back in Skelly's room, pre-run. Didn't get the Rail prophecy, or the blood/diamond/ambrosia I had collected.

That... sucks. I figured it'd at least spawn me back at the boss room.

Maybe it's to keep people from save-scumming the boss fight? Regardless, this is the first time since I started playing that I'm not super excited to start my next run.

The game is supposed to save every time you enter a new room, including the boss chamber. That sounds more like a cloud/local save issue than the game not saving runs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's no such thing as an "in-progress save". There's just a save file, and a run seed. If you give up a run it takes you back to your chambers with the same run seed and rewards from the run cleared, but it doesn't have a separate save format for being in a run or between runs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Dr Christmas posted:

If you only want to use ambrosia for upgrades, you need 66, one to get companion from each of the characters that gives you one (Achilles, Dusa, Megaera, Sisyphus, Skelly, and Thanatos), and 10 to fully upgrade each one. The upgrades are done at the keepsake cabinet and are separate from gifted ambrosia.

Every one of the 22 characters you can get a keepsake from can be gifted at least one ambrosia, and most of the non-Olympian characters take more than one. Dusa takes an increasing amount of ambrosia each time

You can get Dusa's Ambrosia back with no downside, but you need at least 10 to get through her bond in the first place.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Trap damage is one of those things that sounds like it would be a breeze, and then you find out Magma and the Urns Hades summons both count as Traps, and then you realize you've made a huge mistake taking Fists into this

I still turn on trap damage as my first heat after EM2. Even with the urns doing 150 damage if you get stuck in them just don't gently caress up. :shrug:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Sivart13 posted:

If "don't get hit" is the solution then all the options are good

The jars are stationary, can't attack on their own, and you can break them yourself with half the dashes in the game on i-frames. If you get hit by one it's your own drat fault. The buzzsaws in Styx are significantly more likely to get me on a run than those dumb jars. I have yet to fail a run to traps with that option on.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Mike N Eich posted:

What are the contractor additions that are must-haves? I'm wary of spending Diamonds because they're so hard to get, does getting the record room do anything to help you in gameplay?

The administrative chamber doesn't do anything in-run, but it's required for at least three prophecies and achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
actually :laffo: over here at the idea that Hades isn't enough of a straight and edgy take on Greek mythology and that this is somehow a failing. :allears:

:goonsay:ing about how the characters aren't rapey enough and that the problematic elements of characters over two thousand years old should be all over the game is some peak goon poo poo.