Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I picked Hades up a month and a half ago to fill the void that world of warcraft left after my classic raid group went on hiatus, and goddamn is it fun. Finally unlocked the last steam achievement today:

And managed to keep a 71 win streak going while I completed all of the achievements and bumped the heat levels up with each weapon one by one.

The incremental progress and skill the game gets you to develop over time is so dang rewarding. During the first week playing it, I thought I would never reliably get past Elysium without a very lucky build. And a month later I feel like I couldn't possibly fail a run that's 10 heat or less.

Still have a few things left to do -- the big ones being the extreme measures version of the final boss and a 32 heat clear, but I've been too much of a coward to try those for fear of losing my streak :qq:. I also have a few weapon aspects left to unlock. But I think all of the story is finally done, which has been the main thing keeping me out of this thread since I didn't want accidental spoilers.

This game is a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Artelier posted:

I recommend doing either but not both in the same run to maximise your chances of keeping your win streak alive!

I also recommend Zag Fists + All The Dodge to maximise safety in the run.

I’ve never tried that combo, thanks for the tip. I actually did the extreme measures final fight today on a 15 heat run with the chiron bow, and it went fine. Only used one DD charge during the run. I like having a ranged weapon to learn new fights since I can watch the patterns from a distance without having to stop doing damage.

Beating that fight unlocked the last song I had left to buy for Orpheus’s jukebox, so that was cool.

32 heat is next on my agenda. Not sure how I’m gonna approach that. I’ve never gone over 16 so far, so it’ll be a big step up.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Somewhere around my 50th win, I got an ending implying that they ran out of ways to kill me:

Since then I've gotten a few of my favorite endings repeated, including slipping on a banana peel, running into a tunnel entrance painted on a wall, getting run over by a chariot, and it was all a dream.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

If you're having trouble with the satyrs and rats, one thing I'd suggest is equipping Poseidon's keepsake for the Tartarus or Asphodel section so you can get a good knockback boon by the time you make it to the final area. (Then switch to something more helpful like the lucky tooth or whatever you prefer after Elysium.) My favorite knockback choice is the cast, but it depends on the weapon you're using and your play style -- it might also be a good candidate on the special attack for some weapons. Not only will it disrupt their attacks, but you can also use it to knock them out of the slime if you need to get in close. Other than that, just keep dodging around as much as you can. In the final chamber of each wing, you may need to kite around the room and make the enemies follow you if too much of one area gets covered in slime.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Stroop There It Is posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but what is y'all's least favorite region? Mine is easily Asphodel, Eurydice rules but she can't make up for the copious amounts of lava that I hate.

Elysium. When one of those rear end in a top hat seedlings regenerates it's the worst feeling in the underworld.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

All things equal, I always kill the spinning laser crystals first, then satyrs, then the big rats or the trashcans that shoot grenades last. Of course, I also move around the room to get out of slime if I have to, which sometimes means a different priority depending on what's in range and safe to attack. Just keep moving and dashing as much as you can, and any projectiles from across the room are likely to miss you.

In the small chambers I don't even bother drinking the pool if I get poisoned because you get cured automatically when the last enemy dies, and it only takes a couple seconds to clear those rooms if you're really aggressive.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I like the Demeter + Aphrodite combo. Both give good percentage damage boosts, and both apply long status effects so that you can have high uptime on the +40% damage mirror talent from having 2 status effects. Plus you end up with a bunch of slow, weak enemies.
Add the Poseidon cast for great aoe interrupts and position control and the Athena deflect dash, and you've got yourself a build that works for almost all of the weapon aspects :discourse:

You can do a similar thing with Ares as others have suggested, but I would only recommend that if you have 2 other status effect you can apply reliably because the Ares effect doesn't last long and you won't get good uptime on the +40% damage. Ares can be particularly good on attacks that bounce to a lot of targets, but I find it pretty weak on boss encounters which is typically what I try to optimize for.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

When Asterius does the new ability for EM3 where he spins his weapon around him in a huge arc while following you, you just need to stay out of range. It hits drat near half the arena, so if you have a melee weapon other than maybe the spear, you just need to wait it out. You can also switch to Theseus while he's doing that attack. The good news is that Asterius doesn't use it all that often.

Otherwise Asterius's patterns are pretty much the same as usual and you can fight him in melee and dodge the way you normally would. I focus Asterius down first and just ignore Theseus as much as I can unless he travels through the middle and then I'll do my best to cleave them both to make the fight go a little faster (but don't worry about that if you're not on a tight timer). I try to always save a full call bar (if it's one of the heavy hitters) or my companion summon for the final phase of Theseus. That should kill him pretty much the instant he becomes vulnerable and you don't have to spend a lot of time dodging the massive AoE circles.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I picked up this game again a couple weeks ago after a few months hiatus. I had just finished all of the steam achievements and was around 100 clears. Since staring again I've been working on unlocking everything that's left. Now I've also finished everything in the fated list, maxed out all of the weapon aspects, maxed out the mirror, and bought everything off the house contractor except for about about 6000 gems worth of paintings and and other cosmetics. Oh, and I got the boonless victory yesterday too :cool:

I still need to do the 32 heat clear and a mirrorless clear, but I've been putting off the hard stuff because I have this massive win streak going, and I know I will finally lose it when I try 32 heat the first time.

In the meantime, I've just been doing a lot of darkness/gem farming runs on low heat fishing for the Chaos and Poseidon boons that increase the amount dropped. There's no way I'm going to farm the ~300k or whatever darkness needed to upgrade my rank all the way, so once I get the last few thousand gems to buy out everything on the contractor it will be time to throw my streak away and do something challenging again. I also need to do some runs that are purely focused on clear speed. I'm pretty sure I could get a <10 min clear time if I stop worrying about collecting everything and optimize my door decisions better.

Amazingly, I'm still getting new conversations from time to time even after >100 clears. The gameplay loop and overall design of Hades is too drat good.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Here are some of the dialog events I saved when completing various grinds and challenges, in case you want to know what the reaction is without having to grind 100 hours yourself.

Nyx seems impressed when you complete the mirror:

She may be shaming me over grinding out the fated list, though:

And [Redacted] also knew about my unhealthy purging habit:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I wasn’t sure if Chaos boons counted so I didn’t get any just to be safe. I used the Shattered Shackle keepsake with the Zagreus shield aspect since it just has high raw damage without being slow and unwieldy like some of the hidden aspects. The only upgrades I had at the end were hammers.

It took 3 runs like that until I managed to end with zero boons due to some very bad temple door rng (even with rerolls).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I am of the same opinion about the hidden aspects. The bow is very powerful and has a unique and enjoyable playstyle. The shield and fists are ok, but I think I prefer the feel and pacing of the Zagreus aspects for both of those even if the damage is a bit lower. I'm not a fan of the sword or spear hidden aspects -- too slow. I haven't used the hidden rail aspect enough to have a strong opinion. It seems ok, but I just like Eris better.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Is that the same thing that happens when the game crashes? I've had it crash once or twice, and after reloading I ended up back in the Skelly room instead of in the last chamber I cleared. I guess they probably do that to prevent save scumming or something. But anyway, when I restarted the run, the first chamber or two were identical to the lost crash run. Eventually the choices diverged, but I guess the seed at least starts out the same after a crash. Fortunately it did not count against my win streak.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I finally got around to doing the 32 heat run this afternoon and used Aspect of Lucifer, which I hadn't used much in the past. But it has high damage and hits really fast so I figured it would be good with the 2x Damage Control heat option enabled.

I actually cloned my save file like a coward to get a few practice runs with it until I felt comfortable at that heat level, and I'm glad I did, because I definitely would've died and lost my streak without the practice. I made it to the final fight in all 3 of my practice runs, but died due to having Extreme Measures 4 enabled. I decided to cut that and replace it with an extra rank of Benefits Package and Lasting Consequences when I did the "for real" run on main save today, and I also got an insanely good build. I used the Zeus keepsake and some rerolls to force the attack boon, then picked infinite ammo for the first hammer upgrade, and the triple beam for the 2nd in Elysium. I also picked up the legendary Zeus boon right at the end which just shredded [Redacted]. I finished the run in ~15 min without a single death and now I have a shiny new Skelly statue to admire.

In my practice attempts I quickly figured out that I am an impatient player at heart, and I would rather have the tightest time limit enabled and avoid spending heat points on anything that increases the number of enemies or enemy health (other than damage control) or lowers my own damage (like disabling mirror rows). I love the berserk playstyle of just trying to kill everything before it even has a chance to attack me.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to pick Lucifer more often now. Hail Satan :devil:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

At least the fishing points are kind enough to alert you with a loud ding. Although there have been a few times I've rushed out of the free room at the end of Tartarus with muscle memory after picking up the reward, and activated the exit just as the fishing sound played :argh:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they meant start a new save slot on hell mode

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

All casts are inferior to Poseidon's :colbert:

(Excluding some duo cast combos)

The AoE knockback is amazing crowd control and disruption, especially in the small temple rooms. The projectile is fast and accurate, it does good damage, and unlike some other casts it still sticks in enemies so you can take advantage of the extra damage from the mirror perk. It's also pretty easy to pick up Razor Shoals with it, which adds a short but hefty damage over time effect to everything it hits.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I just did a mirrorless run and can confirm there was no special dialog. I got the "100% Darkness Free" title at the end, although I didn't actually do a full reset of the mirror by spending a key. I just set routine inspection all the way up, which seems to have the same effect. I think mirrorless was actually harder than boonless. One thing I learned is that if Athena offers you a death defiance 1up boon, you can take it, but you don't actually get anything from it :argh:

Also, Patroclus only gives you two choices instead of three.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Did some more grinding tonight and finished buying every house contractor upgrade. Sadly no special dialog. But I guess I don't blame them because only a true degenerate like me would do this.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

John Murdoch posted:

Yawn, come back when you've maxed out your rank. :twisted:

Haha, no. That takes what, 300k darkness? I just passed 200 hours on steam and have 89k darkness. I know I can farm darkness more efficiently than my average, but holy poo poo, no, I will not be doing that.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I agree the Butterfly just seems underwhelming overall. Even if you push it really high, like 70% extra damage, it's just not that great because of the way percentages are additive. It sounds like a lot, but when you're also getting ~50% from a boon, +40% from privileged status, +50% from boiling blood, and whatever else from chaos boons, hammer upgrades, and well of charon items, the butterfly bonus just isn't that noticeable. Seems like you'd always be better off just using keepsakes to force boons with good weapon synergy to appear.

The Plume works the opposite way, where each extra 1% dodge gets stronger as your dodge rate gets higher (until you reach 100%).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol, please tell me you had the duo boons to stack it 8 times and tick every 0.35 seconds too

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

My favorite 32 heat build is just a let 'er rip strategy where you set the shortest time limit and only take stuff from the pact that makes enemies hit harder, but not really live longer (or spawn more). You then just go full mayhem and race through the rooms killing as fast as you can (which is also the best defense :v:). I recommend using the rail with a zeus boon on the attack since it does fast AoE damage and makes Damage Control no big deal. Also ranged weapons are just easier on high heat in my opinion. But you can swap damage control for more hard labor or lasting consequences if you like a slower weapon.

Something like:
Hard Labor x2 (2)
Lasting Consequences x2 (2)
Convenience Fee x2 (2)
Extreme Measures x3 (6) (You could do x4 here, but it actually adds a lot of time in addition to the difficulty. I don't think it's worth it.)
Benefits Package x2 (5)
Middle Management (2)
Underworld Customs (2)
Forced Overtime x1 (3) (You can do x2 on this if you want to shuffle around some points, but I find x2 much harder than x1)
Damage Control x2 (2)
Tight Deadline x3 (6)

The point is that there's no Jury Summons or Calisthenics Program, so it doesn't take that much longer than a 0 heat run to kill everything. Occasionally some armored enemies can be annoying with double Benefits Package, but usually that's not too bad. Also you're not losing any mirror talents or boon choices, so you can still use your rerolls to make sure you get a powerful build for better consistency.

If you aren't used to running with tight deadline on the max setting, do a few low heat runs with it enabled and get used to the pacing (and doing stuff like pausing while you think about which door you want to take).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

For weapons, I mentioned my thoughts in the post, but my favorite is the Rail with the Zeus boon on the main attack. It does a lot of damage, and the chain lightning takes care of the Damage Control shields without having to think about it. For aspects, I like Eris, Lucifer, and Zagreus. Hitting fast and doing AOE with lightning is the main goal. Of course if you happen to get good hammer upgrades for the special, a build focused around that can work too -- just make sure you're breaking the Damage Control shields with the main attack before shooting the slower, high damage specials.

The Aspect of Rama bow is also great for this type of run. I like Dionysus or Ares on the special, and any +% damage boon on the main attack -- Aphrodite is a good one because weak is a great debuff in high heat runs. My only reservation with Rama is that both the main attack and special are kinda slow and don't mix well with Forced Overtime because you might get hit while stuck in the attack animations. But it's not that bad if you only have 1 rank, and the single target and AoE damage of a good Rama build are very high. Aspect of Chiron builds also work, but I find them to be a bit slower because they do less AoE, so the time limit can be an issue. If you struggle with boss encounters, though, I think Aspect of Chiron trivializes those better than any other weapon/aspect.

For keepsakes on high heat runs, I always use them to fish for the boons I want in the beginning and middle. For example, in a Rail run I would start with Zeus and try to land an attack boon. Then switch to Athena and try to get her deflect dash. Then switch to Poseidon and try to get his cast. For the final level, I switch to the Lucky Tooth just for extra safety. If I happen to find one of those naturally without the keepsake by the time I get to Elysium, I'll take the Hourglass instead since buffs from the Well of Charon that last ~10 rooms can be a great help. And you can equip it before buying from the well at the end of Asphodel, and then buy from the well again at the end of Elysium before swapping to the Lucky Tooth. The extended duration will remain even after you unequip the Hourglass.

You can switch up the keepsakes to use whatever your favorites are. There's nothing that special about the Athena dash or Poseidon cast in these builds, I just think they provide good utility. And I use the Megaera summon every run no matter what, just like everyone else probably.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 14, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I dash constantly with the rail, you pretty much stay locked on to whatever you're shooting at through the dash. Always be dashing. Both meanings apply when you're Zagreus :swoon:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Take Stygian Soul from the mirror for infinite casts with a short cooldown you'll barely notice.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it is a little weird that different gods' calls take different amounts of times for me to forget to use them.

the most consistent way to get that bar to charge is to take more damage, a strategy i employ liberally in the final fight while i have spare death defiance charges.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

new save slot

also, goddamn, congrats

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

now get to work on that fated list :getin:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you gotta do em to complete that onion entry in the codex

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i would buy a dlc that swaps out the greek names for roman names just so that i can finally teach myself which god is which in both pantheons

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Just cross-posting this from the GBS Hades thread in case anyone is interested.

Bad Purchase posted:

PSA: Tomorrow (Friday) around 10:30 PM Eastern the AGDQ speedrun marathon on twitch.tv will have two people doing a live Hades race. The name of the speedrun category is "All weapons". I don't know for sure what that means, but I assume each player will be beating the game with all 6 weapon as fast as possible. Should be fun to watch.

You can check the schedule tomorrow evening if you're interested -- sometimes start times shift around a bit since it's a live event that runs 24/7 all week.
https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Wafflecopper posted:

I’m not involved in the speed running community but I’m pretty sure that just means any weapon as opposed to a specific weapon

The estimated time is 2 hours, so they're definitely beating it more than once. Even that seems too long for 6 runs (I'm not a speedrunner, and even I can pretty consistently hit 15 min or less with any weapon, although that's the in game time, not wall time). But yeah, no idea what the actual rules are.

Edit: Found this https://www.speedrun.com/hades#All_Weapons

quote:

ALL WEAPONS RULES

Achieve a series of 6 victories, with each victory using a different weapon. Weapons can be used in any order.

Must be a single and continuous series of runs. No quit-outs (Alt-F4s, give-ups, quits or crashes) mid-run.

Show the previous run's death (or a run completion with the death) at the start of the video.

Time starts as soon as you can move after falling out of the window, and ends the instant the final boss of the last weapon run dies.

Any Mirror, Weapon/Aspect or starting Keepsake can be used. You are encouraged to unlock all of these, but it is not necessary.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 14, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

ewe2 posted:

There is also a separate colourblind mod which was actually necessary for one of the racers in the run, and pretty cool, that's an accessibility improvement that should be in a lot of games.

I'm kinda curious to check that out now. I'm colorblind and a lot of game UIs give me problems. I never noticed an issue with Hades, but maybe there are some status effect and enemy cues I've been missing out on.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you will never catch me using a cast that isn't poseidon

well, maybe if i'm doing a gimmick ares blade build, but that's only for special occasions

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they’re working on a brand new concept - an action roguelite based on the roman pantheon

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

definitely get the game.

in windows, you can easily copy/backup/swap your save. it's just a folder.

the steam page says it supports steam cloud, which i haven't tried across computers with this game myself, but assume it works just like any other steam cloud save system.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

don't stop until you have 100% of the achievements and all of the fated list complete

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the song that really hooked me in was the lament of orpheus (the "don't look back" song)

also, i remember linking the song to a friend and joking that a new thom yorke single had dropped after i first heard it

a couple months later i stumbled across a quote from darren korb that, in fact, he was the basis for orpheus's vocals:

quote:

“Thom Yorke, or Radiohead — they’re always in there,” Korb says. “They’re always an influence. But specifically I imagined a ‘when Thom Yorke sings in falsetto’ kind of vibe for the stuff I might write for Orpheus.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

did you remember to set the heat level to 32 for that run? it still counts!