Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Tetrabor posted:

Poseidon absolutely slaps against bosses for melee builds, Tidal Dash + Wave Pounding means you're hitting big daddy Hades for an absolute minimum of 42 damage every time you dash next to him. Pair that with extra dashes from Hermes and a few Poms and you'll melt anything in melee range.

Rupture is also amazing because crybaby Hades moves around a lot for his attacks, which is great when your boon deals damage every .2 seconds on any type of enemy movement.

Rupture is also great on EM3+ Theseus because of how mobile that golden turd is.
Tidal Dash is so good. I got it on my first lucifer rail run (hate that weapon) and realized I could clear the whole floor just by dashing. And breaking wave works regardless of how the enemy is knocked into a barrier, so that boon is actually really really good with any weapons that knock enemies around. But not with the laser, gently caress the laser.

I used to like ares cast but increasingly I'm favoring artemis / zeus / poseidon casts because they require no aiming and stick in enemies for the bonus damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
The gun is good because artemis' support fire is completely overpowered with the gun, rapid firing those homing arrows everywhere. Don't need to get some multi-boon synergy, just that one boon. I've noticed support fire doesn't activate multiple times for the spinning shield or blade boons, it's just one arrow per enemy hit on cast/special. But for the rail you get an arrow for every bullet that hits an enemy.

Does anyone else prioritize hyper sprint for artemis hermes boons over everything else he has? I don't care if hyper sprint is common, I'd rather have that over anything else.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 22, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
This is the hardest decision I've had to make in my entire life:

I just finished a fist run with 70% dodge. 15% dodge fists + 30% dodge plume + 25% dodge epic hermes mused into a legendary. I had a lotta health and the only thing that was a problem was, as always, the fuckin' poison rats with only fists.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Mr. Lobe posted:

If you don't have the dash Athena would be a no brainer for me
I had that exact thought but, I did have the lvl 2 flood dash which is awesome. Still would love the athena call, athena cast is good too. Or the special.

I went with poseidon and got the epic flood cast and it was probably the best outcome.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I tried the chiron bow with drunken flourish as someone suggested and was surprised how fast hades died. Felt like I wasn't doing any damage and then the fight ended.

Speaking of dionysus, guess you can 'empty' the pool of possible boons leading to:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Hello Sailor posted:

Ares's dash works pretty well if you can predict where the enemies are going to stand. Unless there's a heat setting I haven't seen yet, enemy AI doesn't make any sort of attempt to avoid or exit the damage field.
Yeah ares' dash is actually good, better with the blade rift boons. My problem with that is it means taking blade rift boons. Or even worse, using other ares boons to go with them. When possible I avoid ares like the plague.

I like ares' special doom for regular sword and regular shield runs where I have attack-based hyperion buffs. Meaning I'm using my special for AOE sprinkle damage which I can periodically throw down. Doom is perfect for that but it's such a niche roll.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Does choosing one god first at Trial of the Gods increase their chance of continuing to show up?

Had a cursed run. Started with the zeus keepsake, my 2nd boon was aphrodite. I took a passive boon, and just kept getting aphrodite from there. Aphrodite after aphrodite, to the point I depleted the aphrodite boon pool and she would only offer her cast or to replace my active boons. Then I reached the styx and hey sweet 3 aphrodites. :wtc: Did I bring this upon myself by choosing aphrodite over dionysus on a double-boon room? I had a dash reduction curse and really didn't want to fight aphrodite at the time. Turns out the real curse was aphrodite's favor. If I had to choose between an epic aphrodite cast enhanced w/ sweet kiss and nothing, I would choose nothing.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Still haven't gotten to EM4, but I have a bit of a streak going on.

Looking forward to ending it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I have another existential crisis of 3 really good choices. What should I do

Leaning towards double boons but I'll decide tomorrow pending a hearing

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
The charon option to remove exploding chariots is like a threat. "Pay this money or you will get 20 exploding flamewheels in the next encounter(s)"

Sometimes I regret not paying up.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Does chain skewer for the spear make the special deal regular damage + hit 7 additional foes @ 30% base dmg, or does it make all special attacks deal 30% base?

Like are you dealing 30% dmg on single targets if you take that hyperion hammer option, or does it mean you hit many additional enemies with no downside whatsoever?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Spear's chain skewer is my top hammer pick even if I have a good attack hammer boon already. At least for most special boons I would prioritize chain skewer over anything else. It does screw up the natural backstab you get on immediate spear return I guess. Even for aphrodite or athena specials where it's really only a dmg bonus I think it's pretty good.

Mainly I'm wondering how it works individually so I know how worried to be when I only have my special and have to fight a boss/mini-boss with chain skewer.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Just had a run with 4 chaos gates. I got a chaos gate while still cursed, which meant my next encounter had 2 curses. Not a big deal when you already had two really good chaos boons locked in.

I didn't know that was possible.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I had a crazy knockback Chiron bow run where my seeking special would knock enemies back faster than the special would seek, which meant enemies would get knocked into a wall and then repeatedly knocked into the wall by the seeking shots catching up with them. And breaking wave would activate each time they were knocked into the wall. I was worried taking the second wave legendary would screw me by knocking enemies away faster than the special could seek but that turned out to be an entirely good thing.

Thanks Poseidon :neckbeard:

All heroic slots

The Kingfish posted:

Lmao what the gently caress. I was all psyched up to fight Hades and he just let me through cause I asked nicely.
Enjoy the ride home v:unsmith:v

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I just had a rare rare crop roll itself into a common rare crop. :v:

That's pretty funny actually. I only had 1 boon when I picked it up so the 2 boons it affected were itself and my one other boon, but it actually made itself common. I wonder if it will upgrade itself I guess I'll find out.

e: It does not.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 7, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Just tried EM4. I was having a pretty good zeus shield run so it was a pretty easy fight! But I can see how EM4 could be a nightmare on weaker runs.

4 Heat is 4 Heat though. :v:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I'm still learning what boons to take and to avoid for each weapon, which seems to be a major part of the tilting the difficulty. Like knowing not to take that epic poseidon special for the default shield, holding out for a zeus/dionysus/ares special instead.

What boons do y'all use for fists? I was having a good run with zeus attack, but then I got the +50% dash-strike hammer and a +80% dash-strike chaos boon so I swapped zeus attack for demeter because she'll scale with the attack damage on dash-strikes. And then I got a lot weaker. :confused: I tried taking artic blast and of course that made everything much worse, even with fast-attacking chill fists. I really can't think of any situation where I'd want to clear 10 stacks of chill for a small amount of damage. File that alongside blizzard shot as a boon so bad I wouldn't take it even to sell it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

AlternateNu posted:

My favorite special boon for Chiron bow is Poseidon. It's great for wall slamming the poo poo out of dudes. And if you get the push-back bonus vs. bosses, a fully upgraded bow can even slam Hades.
Yeah I found this out too. Knocks enemies into walls and keeps knocking them along the wall causing huge damage. You can't slam Hades though? Enemies knocked into barriers triggering breaking wave will damage hades if he's in range, but that's different than Hades being knocked into barriers which I don't think can happen.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I feel like the bow and spear depend on hyperion hammers in order to shine. Whereas every other weapon the hammers are upgrades to what's already a viable weapon.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I'm not sure how these boons stack, but this was pretty underwhelming on default shield. Hit for 260, nice but if I'm trying to not get hit I'm dash-striking at best once every second. For something that seemed really good on paper the damage was unimpressive. :geno:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

lol oh i meant achilles

You get a buff when you throw and warp to your spear. Buffed casts do a lotta damage when you build for it.
You are right that the achilles spear is better for cast builds than the poseidon sword. I find the achilles spear actions are too involved for my taste. Something about alternating between the spear rush and casts/attacks messes me up. I need to pay attention where I'm aiming the special so I don't spear rush into an attack/trap, then I'm watching myself as I attack/cast so I can dodge, then I'm aiming the next special so my eyes should be following where I'm going next but whoops that enemy I was attacking is about to hit me. So I spear rush through them and into an exploding inferno bomb.

Like with a bow you are either dodging or shooting, that's the tempo.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Warmachine posted:

I'd like to actually do the math on an ares/artemis/posiedon cast build vs some of the optimal weapon DPS builds. I suspect it's pretty close if not in ares cast's favor if you can get all the legendaries and duos you need. The problem is how legendary/duo dependent it is: you need Vicious Cycle, Hunting Blades, Mirage Shot, and Fully Loaded to get the full effect. But that works out to 5 full damage blade rifts and 5 30% blade rifts all ramping up on one enemy.
Speaking of cast builds, here's an amazing one that I will never attempt to recreate. I was aiming to fill out my list of prophecies and bad news is hard to get. I'm not sure how this damage scaling works out but okay I'm getting 430 from this, on top of the constant chill/lightning AOE trippy shot. A pretty good cast! If I knew I was getting a cast build I might have pommed cast.

Another thing I've realized is Stygian Soul is kinda great for trippy shot and crystal beam. Crystal clarity is insane with support shot. You will constantly emanate homing arrows as long as the crystal cast is up and beaming something. As good as crystal cast can be, I file it under "good with the right other boons but not by itself." Like blade dash can be great with black hole (haha get hosed flamewheels) but it's more consistent to take that common athena/poseidon dash which are quality dashes by themselves.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
This rear end in a top hat hid in a corner during a duo fight and left me to dodge artemis endlessly because I couldn't find him. :argh:

That's fine I was doomed anyways. I burnt through 3 DD's on that duo fight because for some reason benefits package on high heat makes enemies have regenerating damage control shields. Without a fast-attacking weapon I had to focus enemies down to kill anything. And focusing something down on a duo fight where you take damage staying in one place was an unwinnable situation. I couldn't deal damage until I whittled through 4-5 hits + whatever they regenerate in that time. Just to start doing damage to one enemy.

Maybe the trick I'm missing is learning not to take damage control with a slow attacking weapon. Damage control is a small hurdle with the fists/rail but quite a nightmare for 32 heat sword.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
From what I can tell dash-strike boons all stack as a cumulative percentage so

Maxed out Zag Shield: 40 dash strike dmg
+36% deadly strike +25% family favorite + 77% hunter's dash + 85% chaos +50% dashing wallop = +273% dash-strike damage
+273% on 40 base dmg = 149

And that's what it hit for. 149 dmg dash-strikes are not very impressive all things considered...

Party Boat posted:

There was definitely a tipping point with Chaos where I went from "I've gotten really messed up in the last few rooms, I'll pass" to "HURT ME MORE"

If you can afford to give up the health, Chaos is almost invariably worth the visit
Chaos counts as a chamber on the current floor so value him like any other boon. If there's a boon I want ahead I'll take that over chaos. I will take chaos as a free room (when you get chaos right before the shop on chamber 12 / 22 / 34.)

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Is Hermes' Swift Flourish special attack speed boon actually good for the Zeus Shield?

This is something I've been milling about every time I use the zeus shield and I'm finally starting to think that no, Swift Flourish is bad. The epic Swift Flourish 30% definitely makes the shield move faster, and I assume it makes the shield 'hit' more frequently but I really can't tell the difference in that respect. The whole problem is it makes the shield move faster and I don't think that's good, there's 3 ways to deal damage with the Zeus shield special

1) Aim and throw at enemies.
2) Recall and rodeo enemies behind you to eat the shield AOE as you move/dodge.
3) Toss the shield at a wall/barrier and dance around it without recalling while enemies move within the AOE to attack you.

If Swift Flourish increases attack speed/movement speed at the same rates then the damage is equivalent when thrown towards enemies, but it still has downsides with really no upsides. I guess Swift Flourish is good if there is some enemy just standing still next to a wall? That's not really a thing though.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Klyith posted:

I think if the Swift Flourish worked on the hits/second of the blitz disc it'd totally be worth using, but I'd need to see evidence to believe it did more than speed up the movement.
Yeah I think it just speeds up the blitz disc movement and does nothing to increase the rate of damage ticks.

That is not what I would assume the case to be when "Your special is faster" in every other instance means your special attacks faster. Blitz disc doesn't :shrug:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Mescal posted:

Hm, unfortunately the security log doesn't include Chaos boons. There was one for 109% bonus damage and one for 75%.

Let's discuss again, what's your meltingest weapon + gods combo? One that comes to mind for me is the vanilla gun + Poseidon attack with lightning added to the water attacks. The damage was incredible, but it didn't really synthesize with itself since the attack pushes baddies out of the special's way. And the Zeus + blitz disc is indeed crazy, good tip there.
Posiedon attack zag rail with sea storm seems like it would be good on paper but the lightning doesn't proc on every attack. I had a run like that recently even though I knew it was a bad idea to aim for. EM4 hades gave no poo poo about my weak attempt and it was a real slog. Similar to taking Zeus special on the chiron bow, it's something that would be amazing if it actually made a lightning bolt on every hit. But it doesn't do that.

I like Zeus/Dionysus attack on zag fists & zag rail. Or Zeus/Dionysus special on zag shield. Demeter special for Zeus shield. Poseidon dash and breaking wave on anything.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Duo boons are good. I will gladly take a duo boon just for the chance I can sell it. Sometimes I'll sell the same duo boon twice in one run, good times. What's even better is when the duo boon is good and you would never sell it. As long as it's not Curse of Drowning, a boon so bad I wouldn't risk taking it even to sell it.

Mescal posted:

If I use a loaded cast in a weapon, does it proc synergistic things, like the cast gives them a status effect, the attack does bonus against baddies with that status effect?
Nope you lose the +50% Boiling Blood damage with no benefit. If it doesn't lodge the cast in an enemy then there's no bonus. Same goes for basic Dionysus/Ares casts.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
If I ever felt like Exit Wounds was nearly useless against Hades, I loving know it is now

(Not a bad boon per say, just Hades is invisible/invulnerable most of the fight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
You know you're having a poo poo run when you get to the pool of purging after tartarus and you only have 2 boons you can purge because you only have 2 boons.