Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I crazy for thinking ranged damage is super essential, and up close builds are mostly just a good way to take hits you don't need to be taking? I've only gotten to the minotaur, so I'm probably not that far in, but having a ranged attack with say, Doom or whatever feels like night and day. I can usually take out the first boss while barely taking a hit with a good ranged attack, but if I try to use something like the sword or the fists without the option to turn the special into a ranged attack I just eat poo poo, and limp out of there with all of my revives burned.

I'm torn because I'm inclined to play aggressive and up close, but this game seems to do nothing but punish it and I tend to do infinitely better if I can get some space. Which is fine cause playing ranged is fun too, but it doesn't feel balanced. At least at the point I'm at in the game.

Also, the shield feels like king poo poo to the point that I'm reluctant to use anything else. It seems like it excels at everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The key to melee is realizing you don't have to be 100% dps uptime all the time and sometimes you can just back off and focus on dodging while you wait for an opening.

Fair enough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate getting runs that don't offer a deflect dash. Seems like it makes the game twice as hard.

Also goddamn I hate the spear guys in Elysium. I feel like they are so small that I usually accidentally tank a bunch of damage from them because I don't notice their wind up.

Are the gifts intrinsically tied to who you exchange with, or is it just more of a dice roll? I have given some characters like 3 gifts and I still have gotten a new buff every time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol I just got a gun build so OP that I not only beat the Minotaur/Theseus for the first time but beat Hades on my first try.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So, I have finished one successful run, with a total of 22 attempts, and is it weird that I feel like the cast just isn't very useful? I have upgraded it to some extent in the mirror and will use it for the damage bonus, but everything about it has still been sort of underwhelming. Maybe I just haven't focused enough on it in an upgrade path because it's limited nature makes it feel less useful than attack/dash/special, but it always feels like it should be more powerful to me.

Also a handful of other questions if y'all don't mind.

At the "cleared" screen it appears you can equip or unequip boons, why? That run is over afaik, so what is the point?

Does the pomegranate just mean upgrade an existing boon?

What exactly is the Daedalus hammer? I usually take it because it offers a good boon, but how does it differ from one of the gods blessings?

Why do a small handful of boons seem so utterly useless? For example one is invincibility after death defiance, but the time is so short I can't imagine it's useful in any capacity. It's usually like 2-3 seconds. How is that helpful at all?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

thanks for the answers folks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Huh, so I was 100% convinced that Hades VA was the guy from God Of War 2018/Stargate and what I found was not what I was expecting. He also plays Poseidon, Achilles, Charon, Asterius, and The Storyteller from Bastion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei1Fw9Jk7fw

Dude can do some serious booming old man voices.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tokenbrownguy posted:

Dude-who-hasn't-ascended tier list:

1. Fists
2. Gun
3. Spear
4. Bow

5. Sword

The shield doesn't even get a spot?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sekenr posted:

Difficulty in this game seems odd. Or maybe the game took pity on me. I finally escaped for the first time, just barely with a bow. Decided to have another run with a spear and absolutely blasted out of there with explodey special and Neptune's knockback on special. I escaped with all 3 death defiances + skelly intact and in addition it was heat 3 due to me accidentally setting up extreme measures.

it almost feels like the game eventually gives you a super OP build to finish your first escape with after a while, but it might just be coincidence. cause I couldn't even beat the minotaur and then got a bunch of boons so ridiculous I practically couldn't lose and finished with a death defiance to spare.

Now I am back to getting my rear end kicked, usually in Elysium.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't get me wrong, it's a good thing. But it's weird that the game doesn't even acknowledge that it gets way harder after the first escape. It's just like "oh ok this encounter I've done 20 times now has a bunch of crazy rear end new moves now"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do people talk about respeccing talents when it seems like there is no limit to the upgrades? What am I missing here?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Theseus Minotaur is so much more annoying now that they have their own boons. Last time the whole loving map was just covered in AOE attacks in the last half and without much way to shield it I was just hosed despite having 3 revives left.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s frustrating just how much harder this game is with close range, or at least how much worse I do. I’ll use the gun or the bow and I’m rarely even using my first death defiance until the Minotaur. But if I use the fists or something I might burn one, maybe even 2 on the first boss because it’s so much harder to avoid damage. It sucks because I really like the fists but it’s pretty much a guarantee I’ll have short run even if I try to dodge properly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanatos is a kill stealing punk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

God, Hades is so much harder the second time. Just adds everywhere.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

Are there really no adds the first time you face him? I don't recall that at all, thought there were your standard two sets of adds in phase 1 in every attempt, no matter what.

There are, but they were so insignificant I don't even remember what they were. My last run had tons of armored versions of the spear guys that can revive, and a bunch of armored bullet hell witches.

^^^^Also the skulls.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it occurred to me that I and am bad at this game and the only reason I have finished it even once is that gun is OP. I can pretty regularly get to hades with it, but have never even made it past Elysium with the other weapons. To me at least, it seems comically powerful compared to the rest of them. it's so much easier to avoid damage and dish a ton of damage at the same time with that thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Out of interest, are you on a controller or kB+m?

The melee weapons can get a bit button mashy so I've a theory that people struggling there are on kB+m (while also being well aware there are people in this thread way better than me using them)

Playing with a controller on switch.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

misguided rage posted:

When I first unlocked them I thought the bow and gun were pretty op, but having played a bit more now I'm finding them kinda weak? Maybe I'm picking the wrong boons to go with them but their damage just does not feel like it keeps up at all as the run goes on, especially against bosses. I finished a bow run that went about as well as it could have and it took nearly twice as long as the fists run I did previously, just an eternity of plinking things to death.

I dunno. You put that 300% damage+radius bonus on the gun's special, then stack crit damage and slowdown on top of that and it just wipes rooms. I had it doing 2500 damage per shot on critical, which was hitting probably 1/3rd of the time after building the %chance up adn even the base damage is already like 500.

Then to top it off, build up doom on the attack so the minotaur is less of a pain in the rear end. Hitting him with the bomb is pretty random so you need backup.

I haven't found another weapon or build that has a fraction of that damage output yet. And it's all remote, so you can just focus on dodging while hoping your nuclear missile lands. Every time I have been able to do that upgrade path I either make it to the end or die on hades. Atm with every other build I seem to die on the Minotaur/Theseus because they are such tedious damage sponges.

Those are basically my two hard stopping points at this time. Either I use any other weapon and get to the minotaur, beaten and bruised and then die. Or I use the gun and get to Hades and it's a crapshoot if I win or not. That's been every single run I have had since the first time I killed him.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 1, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The hammer perks that change the special on the gun to something non AOE are loving trash.

Just utterly ruined a great run that would have probably been a win by taking the worthless rocket launcher “””upgrade”””

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat. I actually had that option before I picked up the rocket but went with something else. Either way I still kind of never want to use the rocket again. Probably my fault because I had built up so much on the AOE that got flushed down the toilet, but it was new so I had to try it.

SKULL.GIF posted:

HADES - Diablo 4

It's funny you say that because I was just thinking about how If Diablo had combat and a loot system even half as good as Hades, it would be GOAT. Too bad it's 98% mindlessly clicking buttons and picking up meaningless garbage off the ground and sorting through it.

If Hades had the scale of Diablo...goddamn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I have totally stagnated in this game. I beat hades around my 20th attempt, and now I am at around 40 attempts and haven't beat him a second time. Is there something I should be focusing on in the meta game that I am unaware of? I feel like I get to Hades in 4 out of 5 runs now but I am usually lucky if I have 1 or 2 death defiance left because the last area seems to tend to screw me over with poison or the small vermin or whatever. Maybe I just suck but it's starting to get frustrating.

I notice you guys have these runs with tons of Heroic/legendary items. Is there a way to boost % other than the mirror for epic and leveling the gifts? Should I be stacking gifts on the gods more?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Im aware of the poison curing pools. Regardless, you can still end up with some combos in styx that really gently caress you over.

It's just weird, because I am this point in the game where basically everything leading up to Hades is trivial. On a good run I usually get his second phase down to like 20% heath and die. On a very bad run I might die on the theseus/Minotaur but it's all starting to feel like busywork up until that point. Luckily the variety in builds keep it fun, but sometimes it feels like I am just wasting 25 minutes getting to Theseus and building a card deck along the way. I cant remember the last time I died even once before that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How’d you beat him the first time?

The gun with the 300% dmg+ radius upgrade, with stacked Critical% and damage boons. I honestly just destroyed him I had the special so powerful. Although I have tried to recreate it and never gotten that much damage going again. I killed him in probably a minute. I tend to do the best with the gun with a really beefed up special since I can just blindly lob some damage in the background, then focusing on shooting and dodging. I also usually do pretty well with the fists and the shield. I despise the sword.

I'm kind of wondering is atm it might not be a bad idea to focus less on continuing to kill Hades, and just stack some heat up to get more upgrades and maybe try to unlock one of these followers I've read about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No. I'm not doing that though. I'm getting hades down to like his last 20% of health on nearly every run. I don't see how putting it on easy mode is my only option, when I haven't even really upgraded any of the weapons except the gun and shield, or gotten any followers or anything yet.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 11, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

just got hades down to about 1 hp, to beat him for the second time ever and his second phase somehow burned down tthee death defiance and killed me. His lasers everywhere attack is so loving cheap. Felt like throwing my controller through a loving wall.

Worst part is I would have surely beat him if I had just kept using deflect dash and taking an occasional hit, but I tried to walk in between the lasers to avoid damage all together and it felt like I was magnetizing to them at the end. Just felt like a really bullshit loss that makes me not like the game right now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 16, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Instant Grat posted:

The secret third option, if you're using the shield, is to just hold the attack button and block the whole thing.

gently caress. I was even using the shield.

yeah. I was dash deflecting him all right but taking quite a few hits so I tried to run behind a rock to mitigate some damage and he burned me for a hundred health in like 2 seconds and I was toast. I had enough health to tank a bit of damage and surely would have killed him if I had just kept dashing.

He uses that stupid laser attack every 3 seconds.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As seems to be the case with every single run I have had for the last 2 weeks, got hades down to under 20% in the second phase and died. :sigh: I swear this game laser engineered itself to make it so I could die in the last few seconds every time after the first time I finished it.

But it was the first time I've actually had anything resembling a good run with the sword. And it started out terrible. That hammer mod that sacks your total health for +2 health gain is very good, although I got it way late, and I think it gets a bit outclassed by the end. I think it's too easy to get wrapped up thinking a run is bad if you end up using death defiance early. Like, if I lose one on the hydra or even before the Theseus I'm mentally like "well this run is a bust" but really, I have gone into hades with no death defiance and a massive DPS build, as well as the exact opposite where I have all 4 DD and ended up in the exact same spot.

Also using Skellys trinket on the Hades fight all of the time is probably a crutch. I should try more poo poo out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why doesn't hermes give you a gift that lets him be your next boon when all of the rest do?

Lol finally got hades a second time and it was basically a better version of the exact build I had the first time I beat him :sigh: . I had to do all 5 styx dungeons including the small vermin and the other boss to get the cerberus treat, which was a first, but didn't even end up having to use more than one death defiance because I was extremely op.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Killing Hades regularly all of a sudden. That was a long frustrating slump of like 25 straight losses to hades second phase, but I think I'm just figuring how to make better builds now. The last time was with the sword which is usually my worst weapon. It's growing on me now though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I usually take whatever weapon has the +20% bonus, less because of the bonus and more because I figured it would be the best way to not get stuck in a rut of using the same weapon too much. but the way it randomizes them feels really off. I think the first time the sword ever got it was 2 nights ago after about 45 runs. I think I have used the spear maybe twice and the bow maybe 3 or 4 times. I've used the gun, fists and shield a ridiculous amount though. it seems like those usually have the bonuses and are also my favorites so I just roll with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny how easy it is to turn a corner and just start wailing on Hades every time. I kind of feel like I can't lose all of a sudden. Went from beating hades once on attempt 20. Then 20 more attempts without beating him a single time, then consecutively beating him with every weapon in a row with no losses and without much resistance. Guess it's time to put the heat at +2.

Also, I think I like all of the weapons? Feels like most of the ones I hated boiled down to incompetent boon picking. Although I think the sword and the shield are the two hardest.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I absolutely hate charged attacks in this game. it feels like wading through molasses and the auto aim feels way too random with a controller. The bow is just the worst unless I get the hammer upgrade that turns the main shot into a normal attack.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it normal that over time my logic when running into Eurydice has gone from "4 Pom upgrade is obvs the best", to "why would you ever take that when you can upgrade rarity", to "why would you choose anything other than upgrading your next 3 boons"? I guess 2 rarity upgrade can be good if you already have something killer, but it's funny to me that I actually took pom porridge like a dozen times before realizing it was probably the worst one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

eurydice drives me nuts because all of her poo poo is so good, I hate picking.