Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
heres what i've learned so far (still doing baby heat runs but not losing anymore):

1.) The game has a way it wants you to use each weapon. Generally it's attacking, dashing, and sometimes specialing like a blender. Most system mechanics in the game are tuned the way they are to support this playstyle. The game rewards you exceptionally heavily for offensively dashing.

2.) Privileged Status is an extremely important mechanic to understand. It is why Ares, Aphrodite, and Dionysus attack buffs are often competitive with Zeus/Artemis. If your BnB attack pattern for a run does not inflict two or more statuses, you are at a huge disadvantage (splashing aphrodite/ares dash is often far stronger than it seems). This is also why Jolted can be an absurdly important zeus buff.

3.) Melee weapons are competitive due to privileged status allowing you to splash effects from attack, dash, and special rather than just attack and special. (This is why the spear is a touch weaker than shield/sword imo.)

4.) If you're struggling with Hades prioritize Aphrodite, she makes the fight way way easier. Before you start playing for time she's honestly op she doubles your life vs bosses how good is that???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I havent died since I cleared 0 heat. I'm at 3 heat now and it's not really getting harder, there are enough low impact ways to add heat that I imagine I won't really start feeling it until ~8 or so.

I've been trying a lot of different ones out and the only thing that really seemed like a huge step up from 0 heat was the elite barge with Middle Management active. Holy crap the chiron bow was not the right weapon there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

How are yall getting such fast clears? Granted I'm just starting to get full clears but even then my runs are looking more like 30 minutes than 6 or 7 or whatever.
It's 9/7 minutes per floor, so you can take up to 36/28 minutes. But in reality Elysium is the only real bottleneck for timed runs.

Finishing the whole game in 10 minutes has apparently been done (by much better players than I) but it requires a lot of things to go right.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Artelier posted:

Yup, that's the only bottleneck I find personally. Not sure what happens if you run out of time, presumably you just explode and die. Gotta be a more reliable way to clear them all the time.
You take 5 damage per second

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

Kinda wish there was a keepsake that forced a Daedalus upgrade as your next chamber reward.
70% of the time I find the first Daedals hammer in Tartarus and the second in the first room of Elysium. You can more or less expect to find them around there (I think avoiding merchants is actually helpful because the game wants to offer you hammers twice and you don't want to give it the option of using merchants to do so - I'm not 100% on this though)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

A lot of things I thought were bad, like Athena's boon that increases deflected projectile damage, ended actually being decent. But the bad Hermes buffs are indeed really terrible.

I'm convinced that for non-timed runs Aphrodite is the best god for basic runs but Artemis has the most highroll potential with chaos buffs etc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

What Hermes boons do you think are bad? I like almost everything from him, even though some are still way better.
Passing through and relative speed. Certainly one of the stronger gods otherwise.

quote:

I like Aphrodite a lot, but mostly for privileged status now. By the time you start bumping up heat, you generally shouldn't be getting hit that frequently. So the damage negation of weakness isn't that important anymore. These days I'm less likely to take Aphrodite than even Poseidon.
I'm skeptical of this logic. Getting hit is the primary way you lose the game no matter what heat you're on. It's the most important resource to manage alongside time in timed runs, and you can usually trade health for time vs bosses. You can even reroll centaur hearts into gold if you're that confident, which aphrodite again lets you do more aggressively. Maybe at super high heats time is literally the only consideration and you can take survival completely for granted even at 100 HP, in which case you'd be right. (the only three 32 heat runs on youtube I could find all used aphrodite dash)

Aphrodite giving a damage buff as well as privileged status is why she's good though yeah.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 10, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You get a lot of blood. It takes about 200 blood to max out everything and I know you get at least 20 blood from contracts so clearing each weapon up to 18 heat will get you everything. Getting a favorite weapon of each type up to max will take less than 100 blood and winning up to heat 10 with all the weapons should be doable for anyone (eventually).

I'm still forever short on nectar. Maybe when I can start turning keys into nectar it'll get better.

(this is all moot as I imagine samovar hasnt gotten to the second blood in each run yet)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 11, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kaschei posted:

I never change fate for blue gates, you often end up changing shadow and a small amount of health for... a key to replace the die you just cast.
Oh, I mean trading 5 keys for 1 nectar at the bar.

Ciaphas posted:

what punishments do you like taking, anyways? they all seem like right fuckers
Extreme measures for sure. I'm still only around 5 heat so to do 4 I added forced overtime.

I think forced overtime is something worth getting used to so I'm going to work up to +50% to get up to 10 heat, then the first time constraint/+1 blue heart/a few more enemies and maybe a rank of reduced healing to get up to 16.

I really want to avoid doing trap damage as long as possible because I am not used to Hydra 2.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

For pushing heat, I've found the following works really well.

Start: Aphrodite Boon
Stage 2: Coin Purse
Stage 3+4: Myrmidon bracers

Weakness is just incredible at 50% less damage. You don't have to play safe at all, you can just zerg into every enemy group. If you're playing shield, the game is a joke even up through ~15 heat (which is how far I am right now).

Honestly I hope weak gets buffed to 33% or so. With Myrmidon and Weak you can spam on the final boss and ignore what he's doing.
Imo they could have different weak percentages for the different abilities. Like 25% reduction for attacks, 33% for dodging, 40% for cast. Which shield are you using? People seem to swear by both of the upgraded ones.

Eraflure posted:

Jesus christ I hate the rail. Every single run where I don't get triple rockets feels miserable. Almost lost the streak on this one, didn't get support fire and scintillating feast until Styx and got murdered in Elysium.

I hated it until I found Hestia aspect, at which point it just plays like a beefed up Zagreus bow (if you're using a controller, rebind reload to the left trigger) and is fun. But otherwise I can't stand it either.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

bamhand posted:

Athena feels pretty useless outside of her dash or just getting a single source of reflect and then never picking her again. I think Ares + Artemis is the strongest combo in the game and Ares can be pretty decent on his own but is weapon dependent. Zeus and Poseidon are pretty trash unless you can get their duo or if you get like all Zeus boons.

I think Ares and Dionysus are both average-ish, what makes you say Dionysus strong?
Privileged Status can change the math quite a bit and dionysus isnt dependent on secondary boons like poseidon/zeus/athena are to activate it.

That said I usually find jolted/rupture and if I do I'm happy with dio/zeus/poseidon pretty equally.

Ares is probably my least favorite because he's got the only dash that won't apply a status.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Helion posted:

Is it wrong that I really like Poseidon in act 4? The baddies hit the walls and the bodies hit the floor.
heck no, it's the most fun thing in the game!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Samovar posted:

So, hey, guess who learned that if you turn a Satyr with Aphrodite's call when you were poisoned by it, poison ticks go from 3 every half second to 30?
Charm is bugged and enemies can hit you.

It is especially nasty because the way the game handles HP apparently Zagreus' damage/hp values are totally misaligned with the enemies'. So when an enemy gets charmed, the devs apply at least a 10x multiplier to their damage because otherwise they wouldn't damage enemies. And when the bug kicks in and you get hit by one you get gibbed, or in your case, 10x poisoned.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What was weak nerfed to?

Also making the middle management barge easier is very welcome. That was the hardest dang thing in the game by a lot.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Chiron aspected Coronacht remains entirely too powerful imo but I think that could just be me. I have yet to clear a run with the Exagryph except for a zero heat attempt that I barely scraped by; anyone have tips for this thing? I fuckin hate it.
Only play hestia aspect and rebind reload to a shoulder button.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The problem is sort of the heat system in that the first few levels of heat - by design - do basically nothing (as players can always start with the least impactful heats). So there was kind of this initial difficulty when your character was weak, then you win, then you play dozens and dozens of runs without losing. I got bored around heat 5/6 and checked out until demeter released.

Imo heat should be less granular but with better rewards, there isnt enough difficulty gradation from 1-8 heat.

(They could also really go crazy and make completing a higher heat unlock the rewards from all previous heats for that weapon but i think they've intentionally chosen not to do this and I probably agree)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 22, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Getting everything all at once is probably too much, but I'd definitely appreciate being able to jump up 2 or 3 heat at a time. Crawling up to 10 heat on each weapon, 1 heat at a time, has been a tad slow.
That's reasonable. It would be hard to communicate conceptually but it would improve progression.

Dias posted:

Maybe they should add bonus upgrade resource gain to some of the harder Pacts? Then again, Darkness I think gets pretty useless pretty fast, and Gems aren't that big of a carrot?
Theoretically heat should be balanced by how many ranks each punishment gives. But one of the heat system's issues is that no choice rank 2 makes the game absolutely impossible if combined with any reasonable heat - you'd fairly have to cost it at 8 or more heat - but ONLY taking no choice rank 2 is still a pretty easy run to finish.

There could be daily bonuses for taking specific punishments though. Would be fun enough.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

We'll see. Ideally the game should feel like a fun single player experience through your first final boss clear., then offer endless nasty roguelike stuff on the back end.

Previously you basically outscaled 0 heat by the time you unlocked health, money, and privileged status, and I dont think that was a bad thing. Its just your next 45 runs were too easy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 22, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

So I'm super bad at this game, I've made it to the final boss 3 times now, can't beat them. Any suggestions? I feel the vast majority of my play style is dash attacking, very little casting.

The answer is git gud, right?
Aphrodite should still help out a lot. If you have 250+ life, a few death defiances, aphrodite, and some good dps (look up privileged status to make the dps part work) you should be able to take him down now that you know his moves.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh i wondered why the run seemed so gentle. I'd heard about how much harder the earlier patch made it, did a run and it wasn't so bad, then found out about the un-nerfs. The screen got zoomed out, right? That's the part I had the most trouble adapting to. The demeter +30% damage to everything when you're out of gems is theoretically nuts but wow I kept forgetting to use it.

The final boss was noticeably harder, I had a very strong build with privileged status active the whole time and he still did a good 360 damage to me over the course of the fight.

Also what does "disciple of hermes" mean? I had the same text when I finished my run (which had nothing in common with yours).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 23, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

buildmorefarms posted:

Willing to bet it's a title based on your clear time; there's likely more flowery ones the faster you go.

^^^^CURSE YOU
I'd considered it but I had a 25 minute clear and was also a disciple of hermes which seems off (not that 25 minutes is impressive, but you'd think there would be some difference between 25/36 unless they were both the lowest rank).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Are you sure its not just the new FoV? Also can I change it back?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Samovar posted:

When does one get to upgrade the weapons with Titan Blood? Is there a specific trigger for it? I've spoken to Achilles about them, but nothing yet. Do I need to unlock all of them?
yes, unlock them all.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nectar is for sure rarer.

Lost my streak recently on a crappy spear run and that lowered dash distance hammer upgrade is not very fun. I wasnt expecting it to reduce my iframes too but I guess thats logical.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

genericnick posted:

Love the game though I am bad at it. Or at least with the rails. Took me something like 20 tries to clear the hydra after already doing it with shield, spear and bow. What was the first three-diamond upgrade everyone took? I went for nectar since it seems to have the biggest influence on the current run.
They're all pretty good. Doing it over I might do it in the order of darkness, key, nectar, gems, because nectar is apparently super rare.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've done about 40 runs and have gotten more than 1 nectar like... 8 times max. No idea why it is so rare for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Playing this game makes me depressed because they keep addig more interactions for megara and hades making it impossible for sisyphus' quest to ever trigger or finish

A dozen runs since I maxed out bouldy's nectar and I still havent had the dialogue that triggers the thing to show up at the renovator

it is so frustrating

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes. I gave sisyphus ambrosia and still had enough time to give bouldy 5 nectar and hades still wont stfu about new story triggers that I apparently tripped and are more important than bouldy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Double dash on sword is so good that they had to make a weird hosed up version of it for the spear or everyone would pick it every time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

dusa calls you the nicest person in the house then friendzones you for all eternity? brutal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Are you using the bull rush or the dash?

The codex adds another line or two of lore the more you kill/talk to the subject.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Megaera has too many interactions for how rare she is. I've been stuck on talking to her as part of the sisyphus quest for two dozen runs at this point and its just demoralizing, every time I see her it's some other new fluffy thing that got added instead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I havent even unlocked all the content that was available when I started playing and I think the number of interactions required in general for bouldy is frustrating/excessive.

I admit I did get bored when the game got a lot harder in January because spending twice as long on average fighting hades wasnt much fun which might be a better example of EA burn out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

you're right about the spear though. I think it's most peoples' least favorite. The special is just awkward and mashing special is so important for privileged-status runs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My biggest complaint: the game direly needs additional Act 2 and Act 3 bosses and I don't think we're getting any. Every single run you will be fighting Hydra and Theseus and I don't think either of those fights are particularly interesting.

Three different harpies makes the first boss by far the most fun boss of the run (they're all just more fun too and aren't such damage sinks).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 30, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The chiron aspect more than doubles its special DPS! I would consider +25% damage very impactful, and it gets + 133% damage fully upgraded!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kaschei posted:

On the other hand when you fight the Furies your build is mostly unformed, and a lot of the variety in the latter part of the game comes from how you play your current build. If the last bosses were significantly random it would be hard to reason about your choices, making them less meaningful.
I don't think that's a real issue with the way builds shake out in this game, and even if it was there are a well-proven ways to fix it (show which boss you're facing at the start of the level).

The first thing anyone gets sick of playing this game is either the Hydra or Theseus. It would absolutely be a worthwhile investment of effort and being on the third iteration of Hydra indicates this.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Ok, two questions now I beat Hades once.

How to use the ambrosia? You have to use the nectar in someone several times before? The wording in the wiki is slightly confusing.

What's the easiest Heat 1 modifier, in your opinion?
I highly recommend the harder boss one. You'll have to get used to the new bosses at some point so it might as well be now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think the bow is really strong but I'm only at heat 6. Maybe it gets rough with the 7:00 time limit? idk. I had zeus bolt on special, aphrodite attack, and jolted on a chiron bow and did not have much trouble with anything.

Bow's always been the easiest for me along with shield.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

I'd really like them to do something about Theseus/Asterius for 1.0 because it's such an enormous slog. I don't know what that something would be, maybe the ability to break Theseus' shield, or just lower their HP across the board. I love all the dialogue for that encounter but the actual battle is so exhausting, with or without Extreme Measures.

That's about the only major item on my wishlist, I think. There are other minor things, like maybe refunds for Titan Blood, or balance changes here and there. I'm curious what others in this thread would like to see added/changed for 1.0.
Imo the thing that would benefit the game the most are new bosses for act 2 and act 3 so that you pick from a pool the same way act 1 does (act 1 needs no changes, it's great). We're certainly not getting that tho. On minor things I'd like the Bone Hydra's invulnerability to disappear as soon as you destroy all the other heads rather than taking a few seconds for the barrier to disappear, and I'd like boiling blood's effect in the Hades fight to be a bit less visually dramatic and last a second or two less. Agree also that Theseus/Asterius health pool is just too huge and the shield is super frustrating.

Everything else seems minor and having Olympian Favor as an alternative to Privileged Status makes a lot of weapons usable.