Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Skimmed the thread but wound up skipping to the end to avoid spoilers. Are there any recommended reasonably spoiler-free general guides / videos? I've spent an embarrassing amount of time in this game, and having fun with it, but the best I've done is getting to Hades' second health bar and dying shortly thereafter.

I did find one video that was helpful, explaining just how significant wall / ledge / body slams are, and just knowing that has helped a lot, but clearly there's real basic stuff I'm just not paying attention to. Still, just that alone led to a funny run - I decided to do a bunch of quick throwaway runs to work on prophecies, so I turned off death defiance and grabbed the bow, fully expecting to just suicide out in chamber 5 or something. I also took the Chaos keepsake.

First boon was Poseidon attack knockback, then Poseidon special, then the rapid fire hammer upgrade for the bow, then 2 Chaos boons which each gave me +48% special damage, all before the end of Tartarus. I was just slamming mobs everywhere and just bullying everything. Picked up Athena dash and even managed to beat Elysium (for the first time with the Bow, no less.) Still, I had been making goofy choices for prophecies during the run and just marveling at how I kept not dying, and I sold as many boons as I could before entering Styx just so I could anvil up some more prophecy aspects for my bow. Then I ate it.

Feel really good that I got so far on a throwaway run though.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Thanks for the advice, guys. Funnily enough, I finally succeeded on my very next real attempt! And with a build somewhat similar to the accidental one from earlier:

The RNG was super kind to me, I only wound up ever having one boon pick that was bad enough to merit a reroll, which is why I have 5 sitting around. My pattern was to lob a trippy shot, tag him with doom, then drill with rapid fire main attack. Impending Doom's downside was actually beneficial because it made it easier to keep the curse active for Privileged Status. Apart from that, all my support boons were just really solid, including a Chaos boon to up my base attack damage, since Poseidon's boon is lacking in that department.

I also realized that, I think one of my mistakes on earlier runs was to try dashing out of his big sweep attack, which seems really difficult or maybe impossible without boons to improve dash range. Instead, I dashed towards him, trying to time the iframes better, and it worked at least as well as trying to get out and failing. Plus with Athena dash I was deflecting his hits back much of the time too.

Honestly, I'm coming to realize that Athena dash is so drat good, at least as a beginner. It's super helpful vs Theseus which is the only other fight that really gives me trouble.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 10, 2020

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
What are the mechanics on how many gods you get per run? I read something somewhere (that I can't find) that says each run only has so many gods seeded naturally, but I have no idea how it works or if it's even true.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Krogort posted:

4 gods
2 Hermes (+ 1 in final shop)
2 hammers (+ anvil in final shop)

I got 5 gods in my latest run, but I'm not sure if what I did counts as forcing or not. First, I saw that the natural gods spawned were Artemis, Dionysus, and Demeter, and lastly Ares but he only came up once as a shop choice. Then I forced Athena to get her dash - but then I continued getting Athena choices (along with everyone else but Ares.)

Speaking of that run, it's my 2nd real attempt at clearing since my first clear and I made it! With the sword no less! Check this build out, I call it All Dash No Brakes:

Using Nemesis aspect, I just dropped my crystals then quad-double-slash crit everything into the dirt. I even hosed up and forgot to put on the correct mirror options and still got through anyway. I guess something is finally starting to click, or I just got enough metaprogression done to fake it.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
ok, think im getting the hang of this

I call this Aiming Is For Chumps. 3 different streams of ultra rapid fire homing projectiles. Also homing casts because gently caress it. Was tons of fun.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like I have totally stagnated in this game. I beat hades around my 20th attempt, and now I am at around 40 attempts and haven't beat him a second time. Is there something I should be focusing on in the meta game that I am unaware of? I feel like I get to Hades in 4 out of 5 runs now but I am usually lucky if I have 1 or 2 death defiance left because the last area seems to tend to screw me over with poison or the small vermin or whatever. Maybe I just suck but it's starting to get frustrating.

I notice you guys have these runs with tons of Heroic/legendary items. Is there a way to boost % other than the mirror for epic and leveling the gifts? Should I be stacking gifts on the gods more?

I felt like I was in the same place as you a few days ago! Then things started to click, and all of a sudden I've cleared 3 times, the last 2 in a row. Feel free to look at my thread history, maybe it will help? Here's my own newbie advice:

Legendary boons aren't a rarity, they're rarity-less boon-tier based unlock, look at the official wiki (or the unlockable codex feature) to see how they work.

I personally have barely gifted actual gods at all so I have no idea what that even does past the initial keepsake unlock.

My first win was at around run 60ish then my last 2 in a row (run count 66) were wins. Granted, like 40 of those runs were earlier this year before 1.0, and focusing more on metaprogression rather than trying to actually win, but I'm starting to think there's a critical mass where things will start to click. For me the first element was watching this video, which made me appreciate positioning more, along with some other videos of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdhHsuMlLec

Going over some other changes I made, in no particular order:

For my first keepsake, I usually pick Chaos or the gold purse, or otherwise something I want to level for metaprogression.

Athena dash, unto itself, is amazing. All my wins so far include it. I wait until after act 1 to see if the run will give it for free, otherwise I'm forcing Athena via keepsake, as soon as I'm either sure she's not seeded, or I have at least 1 reroll available.

Fated Persuasion in conjunction with the contractor upgrade that makes every night key reward give you a reroll is so drat good. Before I was running Fated Authority and maybe it has merit, but at my current skill level Persuasion just seems better.

The double dash mirror choice seems much better than the dodge chance choice at my skill level.

Try runs where you aren't trying to win, but just tick off prophecies. The metaprogression rewards can be pretty significant, especially combined with more frequent fat ghost deals to spend your gems / whatever on. And, like how nobodynowhere said in this post which was a big help, the experimental runs can help get you out of your own grid to click into new ones:

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That's great. It's often a really good idea to do weird experimental runs like this because you'll end up finding combinations that work extremely well that you would never have anticipated and probably actively avoided otherwise. It seems like everybody kind of develops and locks into an idea of what is good and bad and what "works" for them as they play. This is often based on whatever weapon and boons they have their first successes with or whatever most closely aligns with their instincts as they are first coming to the game. My experience as I've played more is that these notions we develop are often wrong and make us miss out on strategies and builds that are ridiculously powerful and fun. I've got over 300 hours in Hades so far and I'm still tripping onto combinations that surprise me, even really simple and obvious ones sometimes.

I love Hera bow too, but Beowulf has some distinct advantages to it. The biggest one is that it's much easier to trigger Privileged Status because it's much less finicky to hit simultaneously with the charge and the casts. Hera projects casts out forward, so I find it's easy to overshoot a target when you hit with the attack shot. Strangely, I also like that the casts don't ever seem to embed with Beowulf. It's really easy to get into a rhythm with your attacks because you almost never have to wait for your stones to drop and you end up right next to them automatically.

EDIT - Also, I literally never use the special on Beowulf. The charge and cast are so good that there's almost never a reason to do so. I guess if you've got some rear end in a top hat witch camped over a big lava pool spraying shots everywhere, but otherwise...

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Ok, now that's 3 in a row, I think I Got Good finally:

I didn't even die once for the first time. Playing with shield and getting 349 health probably helped with that. This was definitely the easiest fight, Hades spent the whole thing slowed from the autorevenge chill, so I could just wail on him and block every once in awhile when he got an attack.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Holy poo poo, do not gently caress with Charon. At least not when you have exactly 1 boon.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Starting to hit a learning curve at 5 heat with the rifle, but I made it through after several attempts. I was down to 1 death defiance as early as Asphodel, with a not particularly coherent build and no hammers before Elysium. (First hammer I saw was the very first Asphodel chamber, after I bought the Chaos gate consumable and put on the Cosmic Egg right before. I got a bonus cast out of it and it was absolutely the right call in hindsight but drat it hurt.)

Thought I was a goner, so I started making metaprogression choices instead of trying to win the run, but I came across Patroclus and got the full death defiance restore option. By the time I hit the twins I had heroic slicing shot, engulfing vortex, and rift dash, but not much else useful. I wound up just dashing around them in circles while dropping casts and squeaked by with 2 defiances left, again feeling certain I was going to lose the run. In Styx I had some very bad luck with the rooms, but amazing luck with the boons, and pulled out 2 duos and a legendary before going out to meet Hades with no defiances left, but this ridiculous monster of a build:

I spanked him. Not my fastest kill on him but easily the one where I took the least damage.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If you start a run with the Thanatos or Hermes keepsakes and take them off later, do you get to keep the bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
frantically mashing 'hunting blades'