Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Cool, I live in Eagle Mountain where its pretty much Lifted Trucks, confederate flags, and super mormon followers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Edgar posted:

Cool, I live in Eagle Mountain where its pretty much Lifted Trucks, confederate flags, and super mormon followers.

You got a decent city manager at least. Met him a few times at work conferences. Sucky commute though if you have to come into SLC at all. I'll hit ya up when I'm in town, bucket o crawfish is the bomb.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

RocktheCaulk posted:

Yeah poo poo place to be a gentile, you pretty much got Park City or SLC to feel semi normal.

They're even building that new temple out this way :suicide:

Edgar posted:

Yeah, I know your pain, that's where we're at too. Can count like 7 church spires from my doorstep.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Yeah Zakutambah u gotta GTFO Utah County. like Rock the Caulk says you'll be first against the wall when they rise up. I'm down for a Utah goon meet, maybe there are breweries on the south side of Salt Lake County? I live in Holladay myself.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
There were some really good resources that had been compiled with the help of ex-mormons I referenced for a bit, and now I can't find the fuckin' things.

This was an interesting site though as well. The history of the wives of Joseph Smith.
http://www.wivesofjosephsmith.org/

I mean, when the whole thing is looked at in the context of the time Joseph Smith lived, it's beyond reasonable he made the whole thing up.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Lots of good places in Southern SLC County we can all meet. Holladay goons buying though :D

To actually suggest places though a lot of good Korean BBQ places have opened, and Bohemian is pretty legit as well. Could get us free sportspuck tickets for the Grizzlies as well but that's a big drive for the Eagle Mountain guys.

Derpies fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 27, 2019

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Some food and talk poo poo about the Church? Sign me up.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Lil Peeler posted:

Yeah Zakutambah u gotta GTFO Utah County. like Rock the Caulk says you'll be first against the wall when they rise up. I'm down for a Utah goon meet, maybe there are breweries on the south side of Salt Lake County? I live in Holladay myself.

Bohemian has been pretty great the few times we've gone.
Red Rock over at Fashion Place doesn't disappoint either.
Strap Tank just finished their new brewery/restaurant over at Thanksgiving Point; that they got their license approved is just another testament that the faithful will fold as soon as there's enough money on the table.

Probably born out of necessity, but Utah has a pretty lively craft brew scene lol. The annual Brewfest has been a pretty good time the last couple years.
And home brewing stores round here are -really- well stocked.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Zakutambah posted:

Bohemian has been pretty great the few times we've gone.
Red Rock over at Fashion Place doesn't disappoint either.
Strap Tank just finished their new brewery/restaurant over at Thanksgiving Point; that they got their license approved is just another testament that the faithful will fold as soon as there's enough money on the table.

Probably born out of necessity, but Utah has a pretty lively craft brew scene lol. The annual Brewfest has been a pretty good time the last couple years.
And home brewing stores round here are -really- well stocked.

Yeah the Brew scene ain't bad, I got friends from all around that know the power of Hop Rising getting you loving obliterated

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Also in Oakland right now where my mom bought her retirement home you can see the new Mormon temple they built on top of the hill and it's like a shining beacon of exploited LDS membership fees

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Their temples are honestly some of the most hideous poo poo.
First time I saw the big one down in SLC, I thought it was like a Disney Land prop or something.
It's this terrible mis-match of styles; like it's trying to ape classic Gothic architecture, but then they decided to through some medieval and Roman touches in there, finishing it with the gaudiest white and gold accents possible. I need to con one of my architecture nerd mates to come see it, get a proper list of all the styles they've blended together.

Almost like some sort of alien was copying human religion.... :tinfoil:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Zakutambah posted:

Their temples are honestly some of the most hideous poo poo.
First time I saw the big one down in SLC, I thought it was like a Disney Land prop or something.
It's this terrible mis-match of styles; like it's trying to ape classic Gothic architecture, but then they decided to through some medieval and Roman touches in there, finishing it with the gaudiest white and gold accents possible. I need to con one of my architecture nerd mates to come see it, get a proper list of all the styles they've blended together.

Almost like some sort of alien was copying human religion.... :tinfoil:

I grew up in the DC area and thought the temple they had in Maryland as a kid was Disneyworld, because it was so huge and gaudy.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Heh I got married in the Manti Temple

I remember the bats that fly around it at night.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Edgar posted:

What was it like growing up in a Speed trap?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I only went to school at Snow for my generals while dating my now-ex during that time. She wanted to get married there so meh. Speed traps though I dunno about that since there is like 3 cops in Sanpete county.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

peanut posted:

Mormons also get "patriarchal blessings" that's like
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/patriarchal-blessings?lang=eng

The new(er) hotness is "Israelite" groups like IUIC who believe that the lost tribes of Israel are black Americans, Caribbean nations, and Native Americans.

https://israelunite.org/category/12-tribes-of-israel-today/
https://www.therealhebrewisraelites.com/12tribesofisraelnow.htm

Tag yourself. I am Zebulon-Issacharite.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Edgar posted:

Holy poo poo, I love it.

What level space priest to you need to be to get into where the Master Sword is kept?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zakutambah posted:

And troublesome things like "black people are black because they are cursed by God" end up getting removed by convenient 'visions' of the current prophet.

How do prophets get chosen? Is it something you can achieve by hitting the sweet spot of practicality and manic religiosity or is it more a political thing among competing bloodlines, ie a handful of prominent families have been running the show since the early days and if you're not part of that and not groomed for it from day one, you may as well go back to the herd

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Zakutambah posted:

Holy poo poo, I love it.

What level space priest to you need to be to get into where the Master Sword is kept?

A member of the 70 I believe to see where the seer stone is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zakutambah posted:

Holy poo poo, I love it.

Air Force Officer

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Bumped the goon meet thread for Utah I made a while back. Let's complain about being minorities while drinking beer together.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I believe it's chosen from the leadership council thing they have... I can't remember what it's called, something about the apostles? And it's always the most senior member, or something to that effect by tradition.
It's why they're always in their 80s or 90s, there's absolutely no risk of someone even slightly sympathetic to non-LDS views getting close to the position.

So yeah, it's sounded political. The various groups that form the leadership of the Church.

Funny how noone else ever seems to glean these "revelations" from God :rolleyes:

That also reminded me of that moment earlier this year where they announce they don't want to be referred to as Mormons anymore. Or LDS. It's to be the full name "The Church of the Latter Day Saints". Good luck with that.

GreenaBoy
Jan 7, 2005

I like to fart in the bathtub and bite the bubbles...GRAVITAS!!!

I was born and raised Mormon in San Jose California and felt like a minority here. And in my early 20s my parents sold their home and went to Utah. My father's health wasn't the best(and I couldn't survive on my own) so I moved with them. I was married to my wife, who I converted, for almost a year and we struggled out there hard. We moved to Highland Utah and then we were quickly given the duty of working the library checkout. Being just a lighter brown color skin and from CA made us immediate outcasts.

Eventually the wife and I find jobs at eBay and they require you to work Sundays so we just stop going.

And then my wife got a tattoo apprentice job at a place called Happy Valley Tattoo. At this point if felt we were basically blacklisted in the ward we lived in. But working that tattoo shop you would get a lot of wavering mormons wanting a tattoo. Usually they were Provo students but, they always wanted a tattoo under the garments so they would be covered. There was also a flash art wall that had a bunch of "CTR" art that half the time they would choose from.

I also remember a club I would frequent near SLC called Area 51(I think) that had two floors. Bottom floor had industrial music and heavy fog machine with at most 3 people at any given time on the floor. The second floor played somewhat pop songs from 8 years prior. This would have been in '08

Now I'm back in California exiled from Zion.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Such an inspirational story

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

GreenaBoy posted:

I was born and raised Mormon in San Jose California and felt like a minority here. And in my early 20s my parents sold their home and went to Utah. My father's health wasn't the best(and I couldn't survive on my own) so I moved with them. I was married to my wife, who I converted, for almost a year and we struggled out there hard. We moved to Highland Utah and then we were quickly given the duty of working the library checkout. Being just a lighter brown color skin and from CA made us immediate outcasts.

Eventually the wife and I find jobs at eBay and they require you to work Sundays so we just stop going.

And then my wife got a tattoo apprentice job at a place called Happy Valley Tattoo. At this point if felt we were basically blacklisted in the ward we lived in. But working that tattoo shop you would get a lot of wavering mormons wanting a tattoo. Usually they were Provo students but, they always wanted a tattoo under the garments so they would be covered. There was also a flash art wall that had a bunch of "CTR" art that half the time they would choose from.

I also remember a club I would frequent near SLC called Area 51(I think) that had two floors. Bottom floor had industrial music and heavy fog machine with at most 3 people at any given time on the floor. The second floor played somewhat pop songs from 8 years prior. This would have been in '08

Now I'm back in California exiled from Zion.

1. I'm from Mtn View let's meet up and talk trash the next time I'm in California.
2. Lmao CTR tattoos
3. I would attend that club

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I remember a lot of CTR rings growing up around mormon kids

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

click through rate?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Can't wait to get me some Crash Team Racing tats

GreenaBoy
Jan 7, 2005

CTR rings are what you get when you are 8 usually after you get baptized. Stands for "Choose The Right" and is supposed to help remind you to be good. All it ever did was turn your finger green from the cheap metal. They do make fancy ones. When I would wear it as a kid, it was often mistaken for the Warner Brothers logo growing up in California.

peanut posted:

1. I'm from Mtn View let's meet up and talk trash the next time I'm in California.
2. Lmao CTR tattoos
3. I would attend that club

If you got PMs send me a message next time you're in town.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

"Choose the Right" is a compass for adhering to conservative, white-beneficial politics.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Wait, cheap rings have lead

That's how they get the Boomer values, they have the signature Boomer ailment

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Wait, cheap rings have lead

That's how they get the Boomer values, they have the signature Boomer ailment

If it turns your hand green, then its cheap copper. There's a big copper plant in Louisville that makes all of the distilling equipment for almost all of the bourbon distillery in the country. The workers there always have green flecks in their hair.

GreenaBoy
Jan 7, 2005

5er posted:

"Choose the Right" is a compass for adhering to conservative, white-beneficial politics.

Also having your father make you go to youth John Birch Society meetings to try and pound in the right wing ways as well. I don't remember much from it other than some glares. My father finally gave up on it for some reason probably because we aren't white enough.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
just talked with some missionaries for 75 minutes

I wanted to send them away after a very short conversation outside but it snowed last night and I didn't want to just have an awkward conversation at the doorway in the cold, so instead I apparently opted to have an even more awkward conversation inside the house for an inordinately longer amount of time.

I'm so loving bad at this. :negative:

to be fair I think my ultra-christian mom preached more to them than they did to us

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Grimace posted:

to be fair I think my ultra-christian mom preached more to them than they did to us

That is so great and makes me cackle.

You are still awkward though. Do what my GF did the last time these folks showed up:

Violently swing the front door all the way open while nude, scream WHAT?, pause, scream I THOUGHT SO, and slam the door.

I feel we haven't seen them in a while

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Or just offer them a beer

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

GreenaBoy posted:

CTR rings are what you get when you are 8 usually after you get baptized. Stands for "Choose The Right" and is supposed to help remind you to be good. All it ever did was turn your finger green from the cheap metal. They do make fancy ones. When I would wear it as a kid, it was often mistaken for the Warner Brothers logo growing up in California.

If you got PMs send me a message next time you're in town.

I'm gonn a PM you now so it's in my history. We won't be back until Dec 2020…

My dad got me this non-toxic advanced CTR ring when I was in college. It's like a veteran memento from the most uneventful deployment.

goon_keys.jpg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

RocktheCaulk posted:

Or just offer them a beer

I tried that once. They (two younger guys) said, "No, thank you. Hey, but is that Halo you're playing? Can we drop in?" gently caress it, yeah. As a rule, I don't invite cultists into my house. Exceptions can always be made for gold-bricking. They came by two more times just to play video games with my roommate and I, not a word about religion.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Does each mission have like, a target number of converts to be considered a success? Or is it all about the long game and they aren't chasing numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Missionaries get transfered to new areas/ neighborhoods every few months, so one team of missionaries could find someone, their replacements will teach them, then a third team will baptise them.
Expectations are hopeful, but obligations are realistic.