Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

the Fisher King?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

sure okay posted:

Cloverfield

I like this because the main character, New York, dies at the end.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Dog Day Afternoon

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
T.U.R.T.L.E. power

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
The first ninja turtles movie made me afraid to visit new york because of the foot clan

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Premium Rush

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
That first ninja turtles movie. The rubber suit one not the CG one.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Cruising

Do The Right Thing

25th Hour

the show "Broad City"

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Neo Yokio

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Those Pace Salsa commercials.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Those Pace Salsa commercials.

Lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Harald posted:

The Taking of Pelham 123 (Walter Matthau version)

this has a 100 on rotten tomatoes if you value this kind of thing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
midnight cowboy, taxi driver and french connection is like the holy trinity of sleazy new york. I love pretty much anything set in NYC from that era. God it was trashy. Beautiful, beautiful trash.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
Koyaanisqatsi
Bakshis Heavy Traffic

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

tardwrangler posted:

Koyaanisqatsi
Bakshis Heavy Traffic

Koyaanisqatsi also heavily features the Pruitt-Igoe projects that have come to embody the failure of slum clearance and american housing projects. JUST IN CASE YOU WANTED TO KNOW.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
How bout movies where NYC remembers 9/11?
Reign Over Me transformed the character into a video game about climbing towerlike monsters, which crazy Adam Sandler can't stop playing

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's page three and nobody has mentioned The Out-of-Towners yet. Shameful.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

quote:

[first lines]
[music: the opening of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. Voiceover]
Isaac Davis: Chapter One. He adored New York City. He idolized it all out of proportion. Eh uh, no, make that he, he romanticized it all out of proportion. Better. To him, no matter what the season was, this was still a town that existed in black and white and pulsated to the great tunes of George Gershwin. Uh, no, let me start this over.
Isaac Davis: Chapter One: He was too romantic about Manhattan, as he was about everything else. He thrived on the hustle bustle of the crowds and the traffic. To him, New York meant beautiful women and street smart guys who seemed to know all the angles. Ah, corny, too corny for, you know, my taste. Let me, let me try and make it more profound.
Isaac Davis: Chapter One: He adored New York City. To him it was a metaphor for the decay of contemporary culture. The same lack of individual integrity that caused so many people to take the easy way out was rapidly turning the town of his dreams in - no, it's gonna be too preachy, I mean, you know, let's face it, I wanna sell some books here.
Isaac Davis: Chapter One: He adored New York City. Although to him it was a metaphor for the decay of contemporary culture. How hard it was to exist in a society desensitized by drugs, loud music, television, crime, garbage - too angry. I don't want to be angry.
Isaac Davis: Chapter One. He was as tough and romantic as the city he loved. Behind his black-rimmed glasses was the coiled sexual power of a jungle cat. Oh, I love this. New York was his town, and it always would be.

Out of context this is pretty good, but the imdb trivia page for it contains walls of :stare: regarding ol’ Woody’s inspiration for the ‘42 year old guy banging teenagers’.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

if you're looking for a good time at a movie go see Good Time

New York is practically another character there too

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Dunsten checks in is a classic, op

really lets the big apple shine as a backdrop to a timeless tale of an ape in a hotel, only in new york baby!

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
greatest city in the world

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Babe: Pig in the City

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Torquemada posted:

Out of context this is pretty good, but the imdb trivia page for it contains walls of :stare: regarding ol’ Woody’s inspiration for the ‘42 year old guy banging teenagers’.

Woody Allen is loving disgusting as are parts of the film. It's interesting to me that it was so well regarded by my parents generation and that generation of critics. I also think that it was overall well made.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yeah, cinematography, music, performances, and most of the dialogue is on point. The ‘which of these girls in the 13-19 year old age bracket was the true inspiration for this timeless classic’ thing takes off a little bit of the lustre.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Didn’t that movie “Brooklyn” win best picture? NYC probably a character in that movie but it also looks like stupid trash. Describing something as “A classical romance” always just makes me think it’s a movie who’s whole plot is boiled down to “I just can’t decide which of these two people I want to gently caress!” And those movies are garbage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
rumble in the bronx

(shot in Vancouver)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

NEW YORK: CITY OF APPLES

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Blues Brothers

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Death Wish (1974)

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Julius CSAR posted:

Didn’t that movie “Brooklyn” win best picture? NYC probably a character in that movie but it also looks like stupid trash. Describing something as “A classical romance” always just makes me think it’s a movie who’s whole plot is boiled down to “I just can’t decide which of these two people I want to gently caress!” And those movies are garbage.

Uhhh the movie is wonderful. I live in Brooklyn and I like saying "We need more Irish girls in Brooklyn" in an Irish accent it's a line from the movie and it's really good and I have a ton of friends that I say that quote to a lot and they think I'm really funny and interesting

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Relayer posted:

The first ninja turtles movie made me afraid to visit new york because of the foot clan

Yeah you better run fat boy.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The documentary If These Knishes Could Talk

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Synecdoche, New York

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

midnight cowboy, taxi driver and french connection is like the holy trinity of sleazy new york. I love pretty much anything set in NYC from that era. God it was trashy. Beautiful, beautiful trash.

Another trashy one I forgot about was Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman. Everything in that movie was grimy and filthy looking.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
gremlins 2

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Julius CSAR posted:

So, hackers brings up an interesting question. Like in New York in the 90s were there really these crazy underground teen clubs that were nothing but gigantic stacks of CRTs connected to a single SNES and skateboarding ramps everywhere, and there’s usually like a window serving pizza?

It’s in hackers, and TMNT, and poo poo, like even Free Willy I think? It’s a strange trope and I always wanted to hang out in one.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The inspiring sports injury movie Hey Fucker I'm Walking Here

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The Music Man. It was a Broadway musical!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
A few deep cuts, Madigan with Richard Widmark from 1968. Also, from 1981, both Wolfen (Albert Finney) and Fort Apache The Bronx (Paul Newman).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

ghostbusters 2016

its got new york, and a queef joke!!!