Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

*Let's face it, there's only one good kind of movie out there and its ones where its almost like New York is another character in the film. It does not have to be set in New York. It can be set in Atlanta, London, Japan, or the moon. As long as I feel like at any moment the five boroughs is going to walk through the door and tell the hero that Susan was the best thing to ever happen to him and if he needs to sacrifice his career to keep her and rush toward the airport right now in a high-speed high-stake chase to catch her one-way flight and run beside the leaving airplane while he gives her a heartfelt speech. I've been running out of movies and tv shows that meet this criteria though. I'm sure it has to be a popular genre though so I was wondering if goons had any recommendations?

Please note: I do not like movies that are simply "love letters to New York City". You may not understand the distinction but trust me I do and I notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Nocheez posted:

So do you like the HBO show High Maintenance?

Weed? Bicycles? Only in New York! Definitely a show where New York's a character. Love it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Private Life is an excellent quirky drama-comedy about a middle aged couple obsessed with having a child through alternative means and how it affects their family. The filmmaker obviously loves New York because every other scene is beautifully shot NY city streets. It's a very underrated movie either way and is easily watchable on Netflix.

I told you I don't like love letters to New York! Only movies where its almost like New York's another character!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Ferris bueklers day off is set in some other city but it feels very much like New York is a character in it? I want to say Ferris is meant to represent New York and his dumb friend represents conneticjt and the babe represents jersey

You can actually spot New York dancing in the crowd during the Twist scene. It's just a cameo but its definitely enough to put Ferris on the list.