Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Well, almost two months ago I broke my ankle pretty bad. I dont have a good story for it, I just fell over at a weird angle and my ankle shattered like glass. one gnarly ankle surgery later and im now sporting a metal plate and a series of screws in me.

Check it out:

Good news is that its healing real quick and im almost back to regular walking on it

Anyone else being held together by body hardware?
If so i keep hearing the airport is going to be even more of a pain now, how true is that? Also does it still hurt and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sorry your bones are made of glass OP.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
You're the bionic man.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Lowtax has a robot spine. OP working on the bionic legs. Someone needs to start up the robo-arms.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Have you picked which side you’re taking in the human vs robot wars?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Up until about a year ago I had 2 screws in my left heel, each roughly 1/4-inch in diameter and 2 inches long. They were left over from a truly heinous ankle tendon surgery that required the surgeon to reposition my heel bones in an effort to reconstruct the arch in my foot, and the screws were there just to hold the bones in place while they knit back together. They weren't really meant to be permanent, but there wasn't supposed to be a reason to remove them, either. They were just gonna, y'know, kinda chill out there.

Yeah... until they decided to go ahead and migrate out a few years later. One of them started working itself loose and so there I'd be just going about my business and then I'd step wrong and - BAM - I'd be loving crippled the rest of the day. So I went back to my ortho, he took x-rays, and you could actually see the head of the screw raised up out of the bone, so that it was pushing against the inside of my skin or whatever, y'know? And he was all, "Welp, I guess we're gonna have to take those out."

And on the day of the surgery to remove them, I told him, "I want those fuckers back," (although I probably didn't use the word 'fuckers'). I'd paid for them (lol American healthcare), so hell yeah I wanted them. That, plus they're kind of an interesting conversation piece. So they knocked my rear end out, took out the screws, autoclaved 'em, and gave 'em to me in a sealed packet that I still have. The surgical scar took forever to heal because of where they had to cut me open to get at the screws, and on bad days it can still mess with me even a year later. In some ways, the screw removal was worse than the original tendon surgery.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I hope your stuff doesn't decide to just make an unannounced exit from your body, because Christ it loving hurts.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

its all nice on rice posted:

Lowtax has a robot spine. OP working on the bionic legs. Someone needs to start up the robo-arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31gXeXHFleU

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Can you use an MRI machine anymore?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Truck Stop Stall posted:

Can you use an MRI machine anymore?

He can, but only one more time.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

its all nice on rice posted:

Oh poo poo, finally, my time to shine! My right humerus, after getting ran the gently caress over by a car while out on a leisurely bike ride.

BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER!(actually it really sucks, my shoulder don't work right, and I've already had to have one additional surgery)

But here, have a pic of the kind of badass scar you have to look forward to OP! Bonus stitches and bruising from recent arthroscopic debridement!

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

DrHammond posted:

ran the gently caress over by a car while out on a leisurely bike ride.

That'll teach you to ride a bike where cars go!

Jokes aside, that looks real poo poo.

RepeatingMeme posted:

If so i keep hearing the airport is going to be even more of a pain now, how true is that? Also does it still hurt and stuff?

since it's your ankle it'll be simple, roll your pant leg up and take off your shoe and it'll be a breeze. My mother in law has two hips and a knee and that's always a delay.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if an injury healed with a large and awful scar and you later surgically removed a small area of it (say working from the end) would that small area then heal with its own scar less prominent than the one originally in its place? i mean it seems like small cuts are less impeded from healing by movement and heal better so

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scar#Surgery
seems so

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

nothing valued is here

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Up until about a year ago I had 2 screws in my left heel, each roughly 1/4-inch in diameter and 2 inches long. They were left over from a truly heinous ankle tendon surgery that required the surgeon to reposition my heel bones in an effort to reconstruct the arch in my foot, and the screws were there just to hold the bones in place while they knit back together. They weren't really meant to be permanent, but there wasn't supposed to be a reason to remove them, either. They were just gonna, y'know, kinda chill out there.

Yeah... until they decided to go ahead and migrate out a few years later. One of them started working itself loose and so there I'd be just going about my business and then I'd step wrong and - BAM - I'd be loving crippled the rest of the day. So I went back to my ortho, he took x-rays, and you could actually see the head of the screw raised up out of the bone, so that it was pushing against the inside of my skin or whatever, y'know? And he was all, "Welp, I guess we're gonna have to take those out."

And on the day of the surgery to remove them, I told him, "I want those fuckers back," (although I probably didn't use the word 'fuckers'). I'd paid for them (lol American healthcare), so hell yeah I wanted them. That, plus they're kind of an interesting conversation piece. So they knocked my rear end out, took out the screws, autoclaved 'em, and gave 'em to me in a sealed packet that I still have. The surgical scar took forever to heal because of where they had to cut me open to get at the screws, and on bad days it can still mess with me even a year later. In some ways, the screw removal was worse than the original tendon surgery.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I hope your stuff doesn't decide to just make an unannounced exit from your body, because Christ it loving hurts.

Jesus, well I have a new nightmare now. fuckin ouch

DrHammond posted:

Oh poo poo, finally, my time to shine! My right humerus, after getting ran the gently caress over by a car while out on a leisurely bike ride.

BETTER, FASTER, STRONGER!(actually it really sucks, my shoulder don't work right, and I've already had to have one additional surgery)

But here, have a pic of the kind of badass scar you have to look forward to OP! Bonus stitches and bruising from recent arthroscopic debridement!

Bad rear end

TipsyMcStagger posted:

since it's your ankle it'll be simple, roll your pant leg up and take off your shoe and it'll be a breeze. My mother in law has two hips and a knee and that's always a delay.
Whew, thats good!

Does anyone have any implants like that thing they put in your heart to make sure it keeps hearting? Ohh or what about one of those robot arms that im always seeing videos about that works like a real arm but is a robot hooked into your brain? skin grafts? Tooth implants? Titty implants? I bet a few of yall have hardware I never even heard of before!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You should watch the movie Hardware where it stops for like five minutes to become a Ministry music video

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
That's p rad OP but I hope I don't get stuck behind you in airport security

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Panicked TSA man: my god this man has a bomb... Inside his body!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
my knee is some kind of artificial poo poo inside the joint but I don't have any pics

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Six million dollar goon.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

RepeatingMeme posted:

Jesus, well I have a new nightmare now. fuckin ouch

Look! Pics!

If you look at the screw in the X-ray where I circled, you can see the gaps between the screw head and the bone where it shifted around as it worked itself loose, and you can also see how it's not flush with the bone and it's sort of sticking out. The other one was deeper in my heel, but my ortho figured as long as he was in there he might as well take 'em both out. Fun fact: this left me with holes in my bone where the screws had been. I'm guessing that's probably regenerated by now, though.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I had a metal bar (probably over a foot long) in my chest for 4 years and they let me keep it when I got it removed. I have it in a bag in my closet and btw it doesn't have a smell, sorry

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I had a metal bar (probably over a foot long) in my chest for 4 years and they let me keep it when I got it removed. I have it in a bag in my closet and btw it doesn't have a smell, sorry

I wish it had a smell

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Look! Pics!

If you look at the screw in the X-ray where I circled, you can see the gaps between the screw head and the bone where it shifted around as it worked itself loose, and you can also see how it's not flush with the bone and it's sort of sticking out. The other one was deeper in my heel, but my ortho figured as long as he was in there he might as well take 'em both out. Fun fact: this left me with holes in my bone where the screws had been. I'm guessing that's probably regenerated by now, though.

So are surgical screws flat head or cross head, or some unique surgical thing? (hex bolt?)

Truck Stop Stall
Jul 11, 2006

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

you could whack people with it

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

These are a few of the screws holding my jaw together. I have 8 screws in total and 2 steel plates. The surgeon said I can have them removed if they start bugging me, but I don't notice them 99% of the time. The only exception being when it's very cold out--then I can feel them in my bone which is unpleasant but not painful.

I had a severe bite disorder that was causing my jaw to constantly dislocate. Basically all the stress of my mouth opening and closing was grinding my jaw cartilage to nothing and I would get periods of lockjaw or it would hurt so bad that I could only eat soft foods for a week. Here's the before-and-after of my bite:

My top teeth are deceptively straight in the before pic because I had braces on my top teeth when I was younger, but you can still see how my mouth just never could close correctly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
OP you pants making GBS threads dingbat, crop your photos you mooseknuckling dipstick!

e: im not sure if this thread is cool or body horror but it's good nonetheless.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

lofi posted:

So are surgical screws flat head or cross head, or some unique surgical thing? (hex bolt?)

https://imgur.com/a/bYARaWS

I’m guessing it’s a unique surgical thing, but it sort of looks like it could be a hex head. And honestly, there’s something kind of funny to me about the idea of my ortho in there with a deWalt power drill just taking these things out. Also of note: the screws themselves are hollow. That dark spot towards the center of the head is a hole that’s bored the full length of the screw.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

my name is actually frankenfeet's monster

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

my name is actually frankenfeet's monster

Pics?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

https://imgur.com/a/bYARaWS

I’m guessing it’s a unique surgical thing, but it sort of looks like it could be a hex head. And honestly, there’s something kind of funny to me about the idea of my ortho in there with a deWalt power drill just taking these things out. Also of note: the screws themselves are hollow. That dark spot towards the center of the head is a hole that’s bored the full length of the screw.

Looks like a normal hex to me, but them being hollow is pretty interesting.

E: Little bit of googlin' seems to suggest that they're hollow to be used with some kind of guide wire?

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 19, 2019

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That's so cool....

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Did u do it urself??

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

And honestly, there’s something kind of funny to me about the idea of my ortho in there with a deWalt power drill just taking these things out.

That's what made me ask, it's just such a surreal notion!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I am a moron that rode my motorbike into the back of a car about a month ago. Broke my left forearm and smashed my right wrist. It won't ever work smoothly again and I am all but guaranteed arthritis in that hand, the doctor has recommended fusing my wrist if I can't manage pain down the line.

I have plates and pins in my left arm, and it actually feels fine, should get nearly 100% functionality. My right wrist needed shitloads of wires and pins and is basically hosed for life.

I have yet to get my actual x-rays post surgery but I have the pre surgery ones
First one is left arm, second one is right arm.

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 19, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oww, gently caress. Much sympathy.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Whats the Fingat equivalent for wrists?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lilbeefer posted:

I am a moron that rode my motorbike into the back of a car about a month ago. Broke my left forearm and smashed my right wrist. It won't ever work smoothly again and I am all but guaranteed arthritis in that hand, the doctor has recommended fusing my wrist if I can't manage pain down the line.

I have plates and pins in my left arm, and it actually feels fine, should get nearly 100% functionality. My right wrist needed shitloads of wires and pins and is basically hosed for life.

I have yet to get my actual x-rays post surgery but I have the pre surgery ones
First one is left arm, second one is right arm.

how do you masturbate with those on????!!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I had my wisdom teeth out on Friday.

My follow-up is this coming Monday.

I feel miserable. My face really hurts.

Sorry for all the misery you folks experienced for this poo poo.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
all this technology and you can't figure out how to resize a loving jpeg to post on an internet forum? disappointing OP. I've signed you up for seven more procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

nothing valued is here

Yo lets see if we can get a bingo up in this thread

but first we need a few more things you can get hardware for: