Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gleebster posted:

This suggests the building was built in 1915. So it looks like she couldn't have designed it.

Architects, much like Merlins do not travel through time much like you or eye.

So yeah, probably still her. All just another typical Architect suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Remember when architect was the stock sitcom cool guy job

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
In related news:

https://www.businessinsider.com/amazons-joy-covey-killed-company-delivery-van-report-2019-12

quote:

Amazon's first chief financial officer, Joy Covey, who helped fund the creation of its controversial delivery service, was killed after colliding with an Amazon delivery service van

"I heard a scream, immediately followed by a crash," the van's driver testified, according to the report.

The details of Covey's death emerged as Amazon has come under scrutiny over the impact of its growing delivery network

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos spoke at Covey's memorial service and choked up as he shared a memory of her. But inside Amazon's logistics ranks, senior managers "regarded the death as just another traffic accident," the report said, citing three people familiar with the conversations.

JK Fresco fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 26, 2019

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

A whole lot of wrong people in this thread.

First of all, the blue demon horse is awesome, and if you’re not offering ritual sacrifices to it every night, you’re loving up.

Second, architects jobs aren’t as much about just “making things look nice”, though that’s the only part any of the lazy fucks I work with want to do it seems. There’s 2 primary tasks for architects in a given project. 1. By far the most important is life safety, making sure there’s a clear path out of the building, making sure there’s enough door width, that certain types of occupancies are separated by fire barriers, and that those barriers have the right details to not gently caress yo and everyone burns to death. 2. Is coordination. Even a small project has consultants for structural, mechanical, electrical , plumbing, civil, and landscape. A larger project will have all sorts of specialty consultants. Oh, and those are all engineers, so basically the job is to get a bunch of autistics to talk to each other so we don’t have loving chaos when the drat thing gets built. So enjoy the next we’ll layed our building that actually functions and doesn’t lead to you burning to death, ya jabronies :colbert:

But then, there are a whole bunch of trustifarians that get into the field. They typically just end up working on high end homes for the friends of their parents in whatever rich community they’re from. Once in a while one of them gets grand ideas and you end up with total idiots trying to do a fairly complex job, usually to hilarious results. See: a lot of well known manhattan architects.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Remember when architect was the stock sitcom cool guy job

Only Seinfeld did this right, as George doesn’t really know what the gently caress an architect does.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I work at a university and we had a new building designed. We looked at the plans and realised that in the largest lecture theatre they wanted to install a giant window. This is a 500 seater theatre with a projection screen maybe 50ft wide and they wanted that window above it. The window also faced East. We told them our concerns about it being a window with no way to block out the sun and that bright morning sun plus projected images = garbage and that having the window allowing the sun to shine into people's eyes is probably a bad move.

We were ignored.

The building got built as originally designed, all the kit went in and on the first day it opened (about 2 months late) it turns out that having a window that allowed the sun to shine in people's eyes unimpeded was a poo poo idea and that it also washed out the projectors really badly. The room was taken out of commission as soon as they could after receiving a whole host of complaints from those using the room and a company came in to install giant blinds on the window at a cost of tens of thousands and a loss of 2 months time. The blinds have been permanently closed ever since. Architects have little idea about the actual uses for the stuff they design. This same room is tiered and there's seating right up to the projection booth at the rear, the projectors are mounted in steel cages with micro-adjusters on them to allow them to be perfectly aligned/edge blended which would be great if the loving floor didn't bounce every time someone walks past the booth either inside or outside the room.

We're getting another building built, it's going to be mostly glass walls and the atrium is a mix of concrete floors and shiny wood which is going to be a loving acoustic nightmare. Architects are awful and basically cause nightmares for everyone involved in the building and commissioning of their lovely designs.

Reminds me of that glass building that Apple made that everyone keeps running into.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Architects are basically building-janitors (not to be confused with actual janitors in the building as they are cool and useful people)

cnut
May 3, 2016

In Grade 9 the school I went to held a job fair with a bunch of different professions talking about their jobs. I wanted to be an architect so I went to talk to one and he took one look at me and laughed so I didn't want to be an architect anymore. I think I made the right decision :colbert:

Thank you Architect Man for laughing at me :3:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The dad in The Brady Bunch was an architect and it seemed like he barely did any work and just spent time with his family and still made enough money for all of them.

Seems like a good job.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So anytime a woman dies it's her fault and God's will against the trollop even if the logic jump required means she designed a building decades before she was born

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Some might say she architected her own fate

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

cnut posted:

In Grade 9 the school I went to held a job fair with a bunch of different professions talking about their jobs. I wanted to be an architect so I went to talk to one and he took one look at me and laughed so I didn't want to be an architect anymore. I think I made the right decision :colbert:

Thank you Architect Man for laughing at me :3:

What about you caused laughter

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I work at a university and we had a new building designed. We looked at the plans and realised that in the largest lecture theatre they wanted to install a giant window. This is a 500 seater theatre with a projection screen maybe 50ft wide and they wanted that window above it. The window also faced East. We told them our concerns about it being a window with no way to block out the sun and that bright morning sun plus projected images = garbage and that having the window allowing the sun to shine into people's eyes is probably a bad move.

We were ignored.

The building got built as originally designed, all the kit went in and on the first day it opened (about 2 months late) it turns out that having a window that allowed the sun to shine in people's eyes unimpeded was a poo poo idea and that it also washed out the projectors really badly. The room was taken out of commission as soon as they could after receiving a whole host of complaints from those using the room and a company came in to install giant blinds on the window at a cost of tens of thousands and a loss of 2 months time. The blinds have been permanently closed ever since. Architects have little idea about the actual uses for the stuff they design. This same room is tiered and there's seating right up to the projection booth at the rear, the projectors are mounted in steel cages with micro-adjusters on them to allow them to be perfectly aligned/edge blended which would be great if the loving floor didn't bounce every time someone walks past the booth either inside or outside the room.

We're getting another building built, it's going to be mostly glass walls and the atrium is a mix of concrete floors and shiny wood which is going to be a loving acoustic nightmare. Architects are awful and basically cause nightmares for everyone involved in the building and commissioning of their lovely designs.

Call me reactionary if you'd like, but every high level person at that university involved in that, should have been booted immediately.
But Uni is just a massive money laundering scheme anyway anymore.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

What about you caused laughter

:iiam:

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

free hubcaps posted:

“Uh, if there was one word to describe my dead friend...umm.....*starts sweating* *notices model of british frigate on table behind reporter*

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
OP was it worth lying to us just to mock a woman’s death?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

what's this from

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

what's this from

Looks like New York City, or maybe Chicago.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Applewhite posted:

More like "Manflatten"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Milo and POTUS posted:

what's this from

Q: The Winged Serpent, unless I miss my guess.