Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

sure, but i think that its a philosophy encoded in netflix’s marching orders for their productions, considering how frequently their tv shows fall victim to it

I don't think so -- or, at least, I think it's impossible to tell if you're right or not. Netflix could just be bad at delegating responsibility, or it could be a consequence of prolonged attempts by the industry to deskill writers, or it could just be poor guidance., or some combo or this and a bunch of other factors.

I don't doubt that Netflix hands their teams notes based on algorithmic trends or whatever; there's been enough that's leaked about that over the years despite the official policy being that they provide "so much freedom" or whatever. But I seriously doubt that it's as prosaic as "don't make logical sense" and "only make emotions", in a big part because a) a lot of these television productions are, in fact, huge chains of cause of effect, and b) generating huge emotional effects in the audience is largely the point of cinema. It's the medium of shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Can't tell if it was a deliberate callback or the fight choreographer was just short on time but Vilgefortz copied a lot of Geralt's moves from the Renfri fight in season 1.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

Baginski: The audience changes, it’s not like… It all changes. I see the [quickening] of the processes Jacek Dukaj wrote about in his book After the Script. We resign from cause-and-effect chains, from linear narration. This book-like narration. When it comes to shows, the younger the public is, the logic of the plot is less significant.

Interviewer: What is significant, then?

Baginski: Just emotions. Just pure emotions. A bare emotional mix. Those people grew up on TikTok and YouTube, they jump from video to video.

^^^this is really obviously top-down netflix writing guidance. every netflix original show written in-house forgoes actual writing in favor of arbitrary scenes with particular vibes to give the impression of real narrative structure and provide audiences with popular character groupings

This explains so much.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

"Okay, so it’s time to be serious" is such a funny response when the person interviewing you points out you are calling them a stupid baby. that line of thinking probably lands big in the pitch room, average age 39, since it justifies everybody just settling on whatever crap is already on the page so they can all go home before lunch

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The last half of the season was a fuckin snooze fest. The only highlight was Geralt getting housed by a wizard.

Without Cavill this show is done.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Every producer and writer of the witcher should just be fired and blacklisted 2 yrs ago. Now it is too late and the series is dead.

I bet they will cancel the series because the writers strike makes a convenient excuse.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Alzur's Thunder seemed like it did... basically nothing?

Compared to how Tissaia turned that elf guy into pink mist, I expected a lot more than just turning her hair into a different colour and knocking people down a bit until they find something to hide underneath.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Asehujiko posted:

Alzur's Thunder seemed like it did... basically nothing?

Compared to how Tissaia turned that elf guy into pink mist, I expected a lot more than just turning her hair into a different colour and knocking people down a bit until they find something to hide underneath.

Yea it was really anti climactic considering wasn't it
Just hit a few guys, that was it

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
Book magic was like kick my leg and fire lightning or twist of the wrist and now a group of men are frogs. Show magic, force ball that only knocks down the person. Why did they have a bunch of mages be like, time to attack this guy with a sword.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The cool spell effects couldn't distract me from how stupid it was that you had a group of wizards and a group of elven archers confronting each other, and they just lined up in the middle of an empty courtyard and started firing arrows/magic at each other from like ten yards away.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

The cool spell effects couldn't distract me from how stupid it was that you had a group of wizards and a group of elven archers confronting each other, and they just lined up in the middle of an empty courtyard and started firing arrows/magic at each other from like ten yards away.

cheaper to choreograph and meets the vibes quota

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

AutismVaccine posted:

Every producer and writer of the witcher should just be fired and blacklisted 2 yrs ago. Now it is too late and the series is dead.

I bet they will cancel the series because the writers strike makes a convenient excuse.

Absolutely this. They'll wait until the graph of viewers per week starts drooping to get the best bang out of "watch Henry's last season, find out how we explain the change!" (We don't, there isn't going to be one)

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 5, 2023

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
dandelion will be narrating, someone will say “hey i dont think youre describing geralt right”, dandelion will say “shut up, its my story, he can look like how i want” and then wink at the camera

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

This show is so weird. I've never see a show with such a strong core cast just be failed so amazingly by the writers.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mendrian posted:

This show is so weird. I've never see a show with such a strong core cast just be failed so amazingly by the writers.

Somebody, maybe even in this thread, talked about how Netflix really only writes for 'moments' and not as a coherent episode because I guess the idea is you binge it and that's all you remember.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mendrian posted:

GoT is definitely the closest recent example, although that was really top quality prestige drama writing that deteriorated as time went on and then took a complete nosedive at the end.

Man, I still wish GoT got an ending fitting of the earlier seasons quality.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's always House of the Dragon

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
lol they gave the racist wizard a heroic racism last stand scene.

Bear Retrieval Unit fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 7, 2023

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

maximum racism limitbreak special attack was v funny

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Really loved how the audio during that was horrible and that they showed it from a mile above so the bad cgi was barely visible.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

lol they gave the racist wizard a heroic racism last stand scene.

When he showed up with a triumphant one liner about killing mongrels I had to stop and think if I had misunderstood what I just saw or if that was really the action beat they were going with

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9kkfOq_Wdo&t=954s

Right to the source, Sapkowski has said he's working on a new Witcher novel.

https://winteriscoming.net/2023/08/04/witcher-author-confirms-hes-working-new-book-series/

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody, maybe even in this thread, talked about how Netflix really only writes for 'moments' and not as a coherent episode because I guess the idea is you binge it and that's all you remember.

Goddamn this explains so much about why the back half of season 3 feels like such a strange and confusing mess.

There were so many moments where I the viewer was clearly meant to feel something, whether that be shock, sadness, or triumph but I mostly was just confused and shrugged my shoulders.

It’s like they made no effort to do all the work and build up to convey why I should care about anything related to Falka, or make me really buy into Yennefer, Geralt, and Ciri as a family. So that when one character calls the other daughter or mother, or is freaking out about being separated I feel anything at all. There’s a bunch of other stuff like that, but those issues stuck out most in my mind.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Why the gently caress did Tissaia commit suicide. It felt so weird and out of left field.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ijyt posted:

Why the gently caress did Tissaia commit suicide. It felt so weird and out of left field.

Her whole life is over, that's all she had. It makes more sense in the books I guess but it at least KINDA worked here. You've gotta remember that they're hundreds of years old as well, it means more when this stuff is destroyed if you keep that in mind

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Taear posted:

Her whole life is over, that's all she had. It makes more sense in the books I guess but it at least KINDA worked here. You've gotta remember that they're hundreds of years old as well, it means more when this stuff is destroyed if you keep that in mind

Maybe the show didn't really convey what the damage dealt to the Brotherhood was (other than the tower of gulls being destroyed) but it seemed a little bit too ~dramatic~ especially after Yen's speech to her.

Regardless, now that the show is finally over I'm excited to read the books, I'm assuming I can read them in publishing order and there's no weird inconsistency in what year/decade a particular book is set in like other series?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ijyt posted:

Maybe the show didn't really convey what the damage dealt to the Brotherhood was (other than the tower of gulls being destroyed) but it seemed a little bit too ~dramatic~ especially after Yen's speech to her.

Regardless, now that the show is finally over I'm excited to read the books, I'm assuming I can read them in publishing order and there's no weird inconsistency in what year/decade a particular book is set in like other series?

yes, read them in publishing order. the only inconsistency is whether or not theyre translated by david french

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That's not a problem I'll be reading them in Polish.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ijyt posted:

That's not a problem I'll be reading them in Polish.

then you are one of the truly blessed.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
It's much more jarring in the show, because literally minutes earlier she's still making moves and planning things and participating in shenanigans with the girlies, so it comes out of nowhere; in the books, she kills herself shortly after teleporting Triss and Geralt to safety; her motivation is never made clear, but it's implied it's because she was betrayed both by the Nilfgaardian traitors and Redania, if my recollection is correct

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

scary ghost dog posted:

yes, read them in publishing order. the only inconsistency is whether or not theyre translated by david french

I felt that French's translations flowed better than Danusia Stok's translations which definitely felt more stilted.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I liked the desert scenes with Ciri. Though in the back of my mind I was thinking of the show ever did explain who Falka actually was? So like, would the average viewer not be confused? I knew who Falka was having read the books. I dont even remember if the show goes into Falka other than a passing mention? Maybe they did but I don't remember. Esp of it was in the 2nd season which was largely forgettable past the first episode.

armpit_enjoyer posted:

It's much more jarring in the show, because literally minutes earlier she's still making moves and planning things and participating in shenanigans with the girlies, so it comes out of nowhere; in the books, she kills herself shortly after teleporting Triss and Geralt to safety; her motivation is never made clear, but it's implied it's because she was betrayed both by the Nilfgaardian traitors and Redania, if my recollection is correct

She was more of a minor character in the books. It felt like it more came out of nowhere than in the show tbh. They just make a mention of it and then move on.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I thought Tissaia committing suicide felt pretty ok in the show. She was pretty shook up about things, not just the whole place and her life's work being destroyed, but feeling pretty responsible for it too for trusting Vilgefortz. Devising battle plans shortly before was fine for me too. People who are suicidal will phase in and out of wanting to end things and still having an eye to the future. I think her talk with Yen gave her some final peace though to make the decision. Far from the worst thing in the season.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

thepokey posted:

I thought Tissaia committing suicide felt pretty ok in the show. She was pretty shook up about things, not just the whole place and her life's work being destroyed, but feeling pretty responsible for it too for trusting Vilgefortz. Devising battle plans shortly before was fine for me too. People who are suicidal will phase in and out of wanting to end things and still having an eye to the future. I think her talk with Yen gave her some final peace though to make the decision. Far from the worst thing in the season.

Yeah it felt pretty telegraphed, like even earlier when she was channeling the lightning spell i thought it was gonna be a "channel so much energy you kill yourself" thing because the show seemed to be pointing her in that direction.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Did I completely imagine Roach being killed in S2 by some monster because apparently he's alive in S3 but now it's a female? And Ciri thinks the unicorn would like her?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Guzwar posted:

Did I completely imagine Roach being killed in S2 by some monster because apparently he's alive in S3 but now it's a female? And Ciri thinks the unicorn would like her?

roach is eternal

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Guzwar posted:

Geralt names every horse he owns "Roach."

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Guzwar posted:

Geralt calls every horse he has Roach

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Geralt names every horse he owns "Roach."

Cavill even made them cut a line from the death scene in Season 2 where Geralt says "You were my favourite Roach" because he thought it was too jokey even though it kind of was a perfectly dorky Geralt thing to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Cavill even made them cut a line from the death scene in Season 2 where Geralt says "You were my favourite Roach" because he thought it was too jokey even though it kind of was a perfectly dorky Geralt thing to say.

Yeah, wow, okay. The way that was reported was that it was some Marvel style quip, but I've never heard what the line actually was. Turns out it's actually fine.