Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Ah, okay, thank you. I've yet to read the books and that part was confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Cavill even made them cut a line from the death scene in Season 2 where Geralt says "You were my favourite Roach" because he thought it was too jokey even though it kind of was a perfectly dorky Geralt thing to say.

Isn't the joke every Roach is Geralt's favorite because he still gets attached to them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even if it is in character for Geralt I think Cavill was right to insist against doing the line. It worked better as a somber scene.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Okay I finally finished the season and while it was meh overall, I think the last episode was pretty good. Great final scenes for Henry Cavill. There was actually some fun fight choreography too which makes it all the more puzzling that the big setpiece at Aretuza was so meh.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

FishBowlRobot posted:

Really loved how the audio during that was horrible and that they showed it from a mile above so the bad cgi was barely visible.

I posted this several pages ago and I am equally astounded.

Mendrian posted:

No one is talking about how in Episode 6, Racist Merlin is like, out of my way children, this is my time to shine, you have no idea how high my racism power level is.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I assumed that was a book moment that they translated terribly to the show, but no, Book Stregebor never appears after the Renfri story. "Our secret weapon is this raging bigot" was a show-original moment :psyduck:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
A right proper mess, this season was

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tender Bender posted:

I assumed that was a book moment that they translated terribly to the show, but no, Book Stregebor never appears after the Renfri story. "Our secret weapon is this raging bigot" was a show-original moment :psyduck:

I think them trying to tie a few Last Wish characters to the normal story was a weird choice

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

idk he was an acceptable minor antagonist mostly and the fakeout was an ok idea I just wish they hadn't had him go out in a scene that could be argued to have proven his bigotry objectively correct and indeed necessary for the security and future of the brotherhood lmao

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

like instead of having him show up to save the day by casting The 14 Words (Magical) to buy time for our plucky heroes, have him racistly blame the whole thing on yen and refuse to do anything helpful and try to leave and then get murdered or something

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean ultimately his sacrifice meant nothing anyway so while the story beat is definitely meant to feel like, 'heroic comeback for an evil character" (it's not, but that's how the camera frames it) it's more like, 'I have to go now, the writers are done with my character.'

Nothing in the entire fight scene has any weight except maybe, maybe, Filavandrel's death. Things happen, minor characters die, main characters mostly move around in circles until they get to where they need to be for the next scene. So Racist Merlin is mostly just a wet fart.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Wizards get stronger magic from channeling more destructive forces so I guess that's why magic powered by an old white guy's racism is up there.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Asehujiko posted:

Wizards get stronger magic from channeling more destructive forces so I guess that's why magic powered by an old white guy's racism is up there.

Magic rankings as I understand from watching the show:

Elf blood yelling and stuff
Lightning/thunder
Racism
Fire
All the lame magics like levitating rocks

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yennefer posted:

Remember, magic is Chaos, Art and Racism. It is a curse, a blessing and progress.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The fire thing they do feels like they've inferred something that isn't really present in the books

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Ultra Carp
Why were they acting so sad about the dead novices? They routinely kill them by turning them into eels. We saw it happen on screen! Do the writers not remember?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Taear posted:

The fire thing they do feels like they've inferred something that isn't really present in the books

There’s a moment in the books where Yen lectures Ciri on the danger of fire as a source of magic, plus the whole “Frying Pan” desert chapter. The show definitely exaggerates the whole thing to ridiculous proportions, but the root of it is still in the books.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

There’s a moment in the books where Yen lectures Ciri on the danger of fire as a source of magic, plus the whole “Frying Pan” desert chapter. The show definitely exaggerates the whole thing to ridiculous proportions, but the root of it is still in the books.

Yea thats what I mean though. It's there a bit (and Ciri has those hallucinations because of it) but they've gone too far with it

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Fire being a taboo source that Ciri is told explicitly not to channel, and the desert episode as shown on TV are directly from the book. Ciri channeling fire and tripping absolute balls is literally directly from the book. There was tiny embellishments this season, but it followed the book closer than either of the two previous seasons, so I'm really enjoying all of these complaints.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mendrian posted:

This show is so weird. I've never see a show with such a strong core cast just be failed so amazingly by the writers.

Great cast, great costumes, great set design, great music.

Throughout all the seasons there was just enough moments of brilliance amongst terrible writing to keep me coming back. Hoping it found it's footing. Without Cavill and now the producers claiming the show was too smart for audiences, it's gonna get so much worse.

Wonder if it will even get to a season 5.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

the desert episode as shown on TV are directly from the book.

Was it as boring in the books too? That episode was awful.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 12, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vim Fuego posted:

Why were they acting so sad about the dead novices? They routinely kill them by turning them into eels. We saw it happen on screen! Do the writers not remember?

No, see, feeling sad about the novices is a Moment. No continuity, only Moments!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like most TV-only things the Eel pool was probably forgotten the instant they moved onto the next thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I disagree tbh.

I think the show is drawing a distinction between Triss feeling bad because she let official novices get serial killed under her nose and most of the other women who treat their novitiate like poo poo. She's the one who insists on giving the dead girls burials at the end, while most of the others straight dont give a gently caress.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Vim Fuego posted:

It was a metaphor for the pro life movement. They don't care about the Eels they could be, only the novices they are.

Or all of the deviations from the book are a dumpster fire I dunno

e; the books are great to not so good, the writers on this show are still terrible by and large

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Vim Fuego posted:

they need the eels for their power

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah I can see "triss specifically feels bad about them as people, everyone else is just butthurt they didn't get to turn them into eels to harvest their power" or w/e

or maybe they stopped doing the eel thing when they started letting talentless nepobabies in?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I assumed they were upset because someone was using the Forbidden kind of magic to do horrible things instead of the Approved kind of magic to do horrible necessary things. Or the writers were just sloppy. It did seem really out of place for any of them them to give a poo poo about anyone.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Ultra Carp
A big problem I had with this season was that they were trying to get Ciri back to Aretuza for what sounded like the normal full multi-year novice training which mainly consists of berating, physical abuse, hazing, sexual assault and possibly getting murdered. That one lady grabbed Ciri and slapped her across the face because she assumed she was a novice! Real nice. But my point is the war had already started. In fact, they had a major battle like the next week. Ciri's utility to the brotherhood is uh, leverage to control or stop the war? Leaving alone how useless and cruel the normal novice process is, how the hell did anyone involved in this plan figure they had time to do the normal years of hazing? Or maybe kill her if she didn't pass potions class? I get that Jenefer couldn't train Ciri. That was shown on screen. But why did Jenefer say "You'll be treated like every other novice, you're not special" as if that was a good thing? I think it would have been way more sensible to say "Hey, the rectoress is a good friend of mine. She's gonna portal out and tutor you on the sly." Or, given they were intent on having everyone at Aretuza for the battle, something like "we need to bring you to Aretuza for a crash course in controlling your magic. You're gonna be taught intensely by the higher level wizards, and we're skipping the sorority brutality stuff. Because you control the destiny of the planet or whatever we actually guarantee we won't murder you, and that's not something we normally say to our students"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I thought they were keeping her identity a secret from most of the folks at the school

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
It would have been better if after Racist Merlin's heroic entrance he was just instantly incinerated

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Today I went to an amusement village for Polish leprechauns that doubled as a place to learn about Balto-Slavic mythology. (Side note on that latter: gold was considered malevolent and should never be removed from the Earth; the Polish word for 'gold' means 'bad' with a suffix for 'that thing'. So none of the crew should be accepting payment in bullion.) edit: It's pointed out by macabresca that the word for gold thing isn't true

I learned a lot about leprechauns who lived between the Elbe and the White Tower Forest from the Baltic to the Carpathians.

For instance: They are not gnomes (who wear different hats, you see). Also they are mad smart. Even brighter than already clever gnomes. And you won't find them because they are good at hiding (again, smart) and they want nothing to do with the folly of other rates.

They will, however, happily sit on the shoulder of a witcher (preferably female but it's an edge preference).

Now I'm thinking that the show or even books might have been well served if Geralt had a four inch bearded man in a red cap on his pauldron giving him advice and tsk tsking at the idiocy of regular humans. Jaskier kinda, sorta serves this function but yet again leprechauns are smart and I think Jaskier's appointment as professor of literature at Oxenfurt was honourary.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 3, 2023

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Bright Bart posted:

the Polish word for 'gold' means 'bad' with a suffix for 'that thing'. So none of the crew should be accepting payment in bullion.)

I checked and no, the word for 'gold' and 'bad' aren't etymologically related, even though they are kind of similar

ed: typo

macabresca fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Sep 3, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

macabresca posted:

I checked and no, the word for 'gold' and 'bad' aren't ethymologically related, even though they are kind of similar

Yeah the it's seems they take different paths from Indo-European to Polish. Thanks for that!

I was suspicious about a number of things they talked about. Like how the idea of powerful spirits living in trees especially oak trees comes from their role in producing oxygen ypu need to live so early peoples would have associated them with the supernatural. I was scratching my head wondering how migratory peoples would have discovered how trees process carbon dioxide.

I was not sufficiently incredulous with the etymology of gold. (They are more than just kinda similar to be fair.)

Maybe the whole presentation was a big lie. What if there even aren't any leprechauns in Poland? That's preposterous of course but it makes one doubt.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Well, leprechauns are typically Irish, but this presentation was probably about the creatures called 'krasnoludek' or 'krasnal' which are kinda like gnomes/dwarfs in other cultures. 'Krasny' is an old word for 'red' and 'ludek' is a diminutive of 'lud' which means 'people', only 'krasnoludek' is singular, not plural. They show up in many fairy tales and folk tales. Not even specifically Polish ones, e.g. "Snow White and Seven Dwarves" in Polish is "Królewna Śnieżka i siedmiu krasnoludków"

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

They specifically mentioned they're not the "kransoludki" but the "skrzaty" which allegedly translate to leprechauns but they don't share much visually with Irish leprechauns to be sure. But I have seen Irish leprechauns called Irlandzkie skrzaty in Polish.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 3, 2023

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Oh yeah, skrzaty is also alright. The way I see it they're pretty much synonymous but there are probably some slight differences in mythology

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1745838167285178687

interesting

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was about to post that. Not my first choice but if he brings his Bowery King sarcasm to the role it could be fun.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

On the one hand, Laurence Fishburne is one of those actors who, despite his insane talent and gravitas, will do just about anything for a paycheck. But on the other hand, casting someone like Fishburne at least suggests that everyone involved seems to be confident and committed to trying to make the show run without Cavil as Geralt. I've got a feeling that the show is gonna just keep plugging away completely in spite of the internet's constant bitching about it regardless of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

On the one hand, Laurence Fishburne is one of those actors who, despite his insane talent and gravitas, will do just about anything for a paycheck. But on the other hand, casting someone like Fishburne at least suggests that everyone involved seems to be confident and committed to trying to make the show run without Cavil as Geralt. I've got a feeling that the show is gonna just keep plugging away completely in spite of the internet's constant bitching about it regardless of quality.

Yeah when I saw this thread bump I assumed it was news the show was cancelled, so this is good news. Fishburne is going to keep scenes interesting at the very least.

I remain shocked they haven't cast Clancy Brown in even a one-off role, he has that same combination of talent/gravitas and willingness to take a paycheck that would make him a great fit here.