Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best girl?
Yen
Triss
Goku
View Results

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I thought Brokolion, Nilfgaard armor, and episode 2 with the elves being just kind of crappy were much bigger problems than the timelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

absolutely read the books. the game is full of payoffs to book content

Just having watched the show and reading the first book I'm catching so many little references/nods on my replay. One of the ways it's well done is it doesn't signpost HEY THIS LINE OF DIALOGUE IS A REFERENCE, you don't even realize you're missing anything if you don't know the background lore.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah the whole sequence with the oneiromancer in novigrad is a bunch of book references, but it also works really well as a short primer on ciri

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
does anyone in the game ever say “you have mistaken the reflections of stars on the surface of a lake for the night sky”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcN8GCcAAkI

Jaskier is not handling quarantine well.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

chaosapiant posted:

The show definitely has its work cut out for it, but I'm really hoping they pull it off and land all the seasons. I want to see a lot of those scenes come to life.

the show butchered something more, there is no way in hell it can pull off the saddest part of the books

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

The more I think about it the more I think the showrunner doesn't have a clue what she's doing and should be replaced. Every interview I see just makes me go 'oh god, why was she put in charge of this'.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zeta Acosta posted:

the show butchered something more, there is no way in hell it can pull off the saddest part of the books

It was different but not butchered. I still had feels at the end of it even after the third time.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

chaosapiant posted:

It was different but not butchered. I still had feels at the end of it even after the third time.

Them not meeting in brokilon kinda killed it for me. Ciri literally had essentially never seen him before or knew who he was. A ton of the impact was lost.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The whole brokilon subplot in the show was a cul de sac that went nowhere and actively broke the geography of the setting to make it happen. Brokilon is a couple hundred miles north of the Yaruga river where Nilfgaard was stopped. That means that ciri wandered a ridiculously long way north to do a cliff notes version of Sword of Destiny before getting kidnapped and dragged hundreds of miles south again, all offscreen between scene transitions.

I know reading fantasy world maps is pedantic but it really drives home how contrived the brokilon scene was this season.

I'm hoping that they adapt geralt and ciri bonding in season 2 while they're on the road to Kaer Morhen

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

The whole brokilon subplot in the show was a cul de sac that went nowhere and actively broke the geography of the setting to make it happen. Brokilon is a couple hundred miles north of the Yaruga river where Nilfgaard was stopped. That means that ciri wandered a ridiculously long way north to do a cliff notes version of Sword of Destiny before getting kidnapped and dragged hundreds of miles south again, all offscreen between scene transitions.

I know reading fantasy world maps is pedantic but it really drives home how contrived the brokilon scene was this season.

I'm hoping that they adapt geralt and ciri bonding in season 2 while they're on the road to Kaer Morhen

Agreed. If they gently caress up traveling with Yarpen a ton of characterization would be lost.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thats one of the better part of the books so they wont film it. We need more Cahir or something stupid like that idiotic doppler storyline

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcN8GCcAAkI

Jaskier is not handling quarantine well.

Thus is great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm on a rewatch and there's a lot of small things that do bother me with the show that make me feel they don't quite "get" the messages that Sapkowski was going for, but at the same time I still really enjoy it and I feel that they nailed the overall mood of the books pretty well. I just wish they took a few more of the book elements with the same wry sense of humour rather than making some parts too serious. I really hated what they did with Foltest, but the part near the end of the episode made up for it. He's still not a great Foltest, but he's better than whatever the gently caress they were doing with him earlier.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I can use my library card to check out virtual books. Awesome.

Estimated 17 weeks wait till book one is available. A virtual book.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Slowpoke! posted:

I can use my library card to check out virtual books. Awesome.

Estimated 17 weeks wait till book one is available. A virtual book.

It works like a real library and they only have a limited number of digital copies that they can loan out. You gotta wait til someone checks it back in and it sounds like there's a waiting list.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm on a rewatch and there's a lot of small things that do bother me with the show that make me feel they don't quite "get" the messages that Sapkowski was going for, but at the same time I still really enjoy it and I feel that they nailed the overall mood of the books pretty well. I just wish they took a few more of the book elements with the same wry sense of humour rather than making some parts too serious. I really hated what they did with Foltest, but the part near the end of the episode made up for it. He's still not a great Foltest, but he's better than whatever the gently caress they were doing with him earlier.

Well at least the show does capture how monarchs tend to be lovely in Witcher world like how Queen Calanthe is depicted being proud of dealing with the elves.

In the books King Foltest was one of the better rulers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not really. Foltest isn't much better than his contemporaries, he's just fat more charismatic and likeable in a personal level that lets him get away with a lot of stuff. He was pretty quick to surrender to Nilfgaard despite making promises to the other monarchs during Time of Contempt. In the games he nearly let his capital fall in a civil uprising and then had to deal with the resulting turmoil which ultimately led to his death. He's still a monarch, just a more personable one.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Calanthe should have surrendered before her entire land was burnt to the ground and her people massacred.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

In the history of real-world nobility, an absurd amount of military devastation is caused by stubborn and defiant nobility gambling their entire country on very bad odds and never pulling up from the nosedive to avoid the shame.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Nobles though they were the state. And them doing personal sacrifice for their lands is as likely as the usual CEO risking the post for the good of employees.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

itry posted:

Calanthe should have surrendered before her entire land was burnt to the ground and her people massacred.

She should have, but the delusion of leadership equaling the actual personification of the state was both widespread in the historical era of rule by divine right and not limited to it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

McSpanky posted:

She should have, but the delusion of leadership equaling the actual personification of the state was both widespread in the historical era of rule by divine right and not limited to it.

The other half of that coin is that if everyone else has that delusion then surrender and dissolution of the state also means your personal dissolution.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

McSpanky posted:

I was pointing out that Calanthe is an awful person even if we disregard her treatment of the Elves. Whether Foltest has done the right thing or not.

There are no good monarchs in the setting.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

itry posted:

I was pointing out that Calanthe is an awful person even if we disregard her treatment of the Elves. Whether Foltest has done the right thing or not.

I think Meve and Thyssen were the only ones that weren't outright bastards, I think?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thyssen was still a calculating schemer who only entered the war when it became advantageous for himself and Kovir/Poviss. and he met his own end when the schemer was out schemed.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Hit on him could have been ordered by the Lodge (that wanted to play matchmaker between Esterad's son and Ciri), Nilfgaard as a way to destabilise his lands and to get even for his support given to Northern Kingdoms, or maybe some of his enemies that might have survived "night of knives and torches".
Still compared to other rulers he remained faithful to his wife, kept cool head when it came to governing and even had a good idea to not put too much trust in sorceresses.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

That's actually one of the things that bothered me in the books. There's no explanation given for why he was assassinated, especially since he was (as far as I can tell) playing ball with the other nations. I also assumed it must have been a lodge thing, but I can't really figure out the end goal. It's not like Thyssen would have been against an arranged marriage?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaedric posted:

That's actually one of the things that bothered me in the books. There's no explanation given for why he was assassinated, especially since he was (as far as I can tell) playing ball with the other nations. I also assumed it must have been a lodge thing, but I can't really figure out the end goal. It's not like Thyssen would have been against an arranged marriage?

Thyssen was a player who new the game well. Once the Lodge had everything in place, his savvy nature would become a liability to their future plans.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

itry posted:

Letho was a hero

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Finally getting around to playing this game. What difficulty should I play on. I keep reading people saying Death March, but that sounds unfun especially for a first play through but I also hear story and sword is too easy.

edit: This is the tv threadl ol

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Finally getting around to playing this game. What difficulty should I play on. I keep reading people saying Death March, but that sounds unfun especially for a first play through but I also hear story and sword is too easy.

edit: This is the tv threadl ol

You mean Witcher 3? I’m no pro but I moved up to the highest difficulty after getting the hang of it. You can change the difficulty at anytime and toggle enemy scaling as well, so it’s not something you have to fret about.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

You mean Witcher 3? I’m no pro but I moved up to the highest difficulty after getting the hang of it. You can change the difficulty at anytime and toggle enemy scaling as well, so it’s not something you have to fret about.

If you are someone who would consider themselves 'generally good at games' then my advice for literally everything is to start on the penultimate difficulty level. PC developer culture is that the highest difficulty level should be some ridiculous unfair deal that punches the player in the face any time it can just to inoculate themselves against 'gAEM iZ EZ' reddit posts. Sometimes highest difficulty is so punishing that the satisfaction from beating it is just outweighed by how oppressive it is (I'd count XCOM's impossible difficulty as being in the 'gently caress that' category). I think that Death March falls on the side of genuinely difficult (you can't miss more than a couple of dodges or parries) but is rewarding rather than punishing.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Is there a way to not be locked on to the Wraith in the Painting? This fight is not hard, it's bullshit.

Second question: Would bumping down the difficulty level just for this fight make me not get an achievment for doing the game on death march? It's not that I particularly care about achievments but I've come this far and sunk cost fallacy is making me not want to throw it away now just for one fight, when I could've just done the entire game on easy for the story in the first place.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 10, 2020

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Cactus posted:

Is there a way to not be locked on to the Wraith in the Painting? This fight is not hard, it's bullshit.

Second question: Would bumping down the difficulty level just for this fight make me not get an achievment for doing the game on death march? It's not that I particularly care about achievments but I've come this far and sunk cost fallacy is making me not want to throw it away now just for one fight, when I could've just done the entire game on easy for the story in the first place.

Well I think you're in the wrong Witcher thread, but I do believe lowering the difficulty at any point before completing the main story would disqualify you from the achievement. If you're where I think you are though (Hearts of Stone), I feel like you should have already gotten that achievement when you finished the main story.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Haha is this the TV show thread... it is isn't it. lol

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
I watched the whole show and didn't realize that one character was supposed to be Triss until it was pointed out to me lol. Hollywood is never going to stop doing the black redhead thing are they

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Alchenar posted:

If you are someone who would consider themselves 'generally good at games' then my advice for literally everything is to start on the penultimate difficulty level. PC developer culture is that the highest difficulty level should be some ridiculous unfair deal that punches the player in the face any time it can just to inoculate themselves against 'gAEM iZ EZ' reddit posts. Sometimes highest difficulty is so punishing that the satisfaction from beating it is just outweighed by how oppressive it is (I'd count XCOM's impossible difficulty as being in the 'gently caress that' category). I think that Death March falls on the side of genuinely difficult (you can't miss more than a couple of dodges or parries) but is rewarding rather than punishing.

I have the opposite advice which is to set the difficulty to the easiest for Witcher 3 and minimize your time on the fights. Even if you're good at fighting it's just standing around twirling swords with big fat life bar enemies and is a waste of time in a great world.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Its Chocolate posted:

I watched the whole show and didn't realize that one character was supposed to be Triss until it was pointed out to me lol. Hollywood is never going to stop doing the black redhead thing are they

Eh she was fine. Didn't really have a lot of complaints about the casting for the sorceresses, except that Sabrina and Coral didn't have much to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man Vilgefortz was a huge letdown, he’s not charming or charismatic, has almost no screen presence, just awful. And cahir is hilariously over the top evil for his character.