Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
https://www.thefarside.com/

quote:

And finally, beginning in 2020, and commemorating the fortieth anniversary of The Far Side, we will periodically unveil new work by the man himself! In truth, we really have no idea what might show up. But, on the other hand, what’s changed?

Are you loving hyped or what? Let's raise the roof and tear down the walls and burn this motherfucker to the ground because it's Far Side time binches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
man that reminds me ive probably got a good backlog of perry bible fellowship comics to check out. instead of the thing in the op

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When I saw cow tools had been posted I immediately went into the comment section and sure enough, people were asking what it was all about. Good to know some things never change.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

gary oldmans diary posted:

man that reminds me ive probably got a good backlog of perry bible fellowship comics to check out. instead of the thing in the op

the thread title clearly says Gary Larson, not Gary Oldmans Diary, dipshit

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cool. New desktop calendar fodder.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
To be fair, Bloom County came back first. (and was the better daily strip)

Wake me when Calvin & Hobbes returns.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

To be fair, Bloom County came back first. (and was the better daily strip)

Wake me when Calvin & Hobbes returns.

Bloom County sucked so loving bad it wasn't even fully syndicated. It ran alongside such famous heavy hitters as "Middle Ages" which ran for like eight months in 1985 and 12:01, which didn't even last six months. in 1999. Talk about some real hall-of-fame poo poo there.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
op mad

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

when you're the best poster with the best taste on the entire forum, you have a responsibility to let the people know what's good, not unlike the prophet Muhammad or jebus christy

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

gary oldmans diary posted:

man that reminds me ive probably got a good backlog of perry bible fellowship comics to check out.

You really don't...dude makes like 2 a year.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I wouldn't mind if he didn't randomly take old comics off the webpage. Sometimes they randomly get put back but not always. Weeaboo's not on the list.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i hope they're funny. good luck larson

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

someone who can draw should make fake new-Larson panels in his style except it turns out he's a huge MAGA guy now

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Google should use it's advanced AI algorithms to detect illegal Far Side postings instead of spying on us.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Jeffrey Dahmer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 18, 2019

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I tried to walk in the out door for a good 10 minutes before I saw the famous Far Side comic taped right on the glass door I was trying to enter. Boy did I feel dumb. So I pulled on the door. It was 3:26 AM and the place opens at 12 on Sunday.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

this letter is from like two hundred years ago, old man! I bet you still think the Articles of Confederation still apply too!!!!

quote:

A Letter From Gary Larson
September 26, 2019

Hard to believe.

It’s been close to 25 years since I decided to retire my trusty Rapidograph X500, with added Comfort Grip, Turbo Flow, and Steadycow. (I especially loved that last option.) That was a nice pen. We went places. But just around the time the two of us were emerging from our adventure down one rabbit hole, another one suddenly loomed.

Back then, the Internet was a cute little Internet-ling, its cold, digital eyes just starting to open. The first website (I just looked this up) debuted only a couple years prior to my retirement, Google came along several years later, and Facebook was launched a full decade after I had drawn my last cow. Meaning, like most of my generation, I was pretty much clueless about this new technology that was on the rise. Hell, I was still marveling at the wonders of my electric pencil sharpener. (I splurged.)

But as the digital world gathered speed, I was as excited as most of us who lived outside the tech world (and back then, as a cartoonist, you couldn’t get much further outside of tech unless maybe you were a coal miner) and were seeing all these amazing tools unfold. Tools to help us better communicate, write, explore, and learn. (Of course, soon to be adding hack, steal, exploit, deceive, bully, and maybe destroy democracy, but hey, what’re a few wrinkles? We’ll figure this out. Or not.) Naively, I now realize, I never once foresaw any connection between this emergent technology and my cartoons. I had spent years drawing The Far Side for (real) newspapers, which segued into (real) books and (real) calendars. These, as some of you may recall, were rather quaint, three-dimensional objects that could also double as flyswatters. What did the Internet have to do with me? Cue the scary music.

Okay, “scary” might be a little melodramatic, but years ago, when I slowly started realizing I had a second publisher and distributor of my work, known as Anyone With a Scanner & Associates, I did find it unsettling enough to write an open letter to “whom it may concern,” explaining — best as I could — why I preferred that the people doing this would kindly refrain. I won’t rehash it all here, but my powers of persuasion had at least some impact, and many of my fans were very understanding and responsive. Maybe it takes a warped mind to understand a warped mind. (No, seriously, my thanks to those who removed my cartoons willingly, or even begrudgingly.)

So fast-forward to today, and hey, look! I’m writing another letter! This time, though, I’m writing to say something I never thought I would: Welcome to The Far Side website! Guess I’ve got some ’splainin’ to do.

Truthfully, I still have some ambivalence about officially entering the online world — I previously equated it to a rabbit hole, although “black hole” sometimes seems more apropos — but my change of heart on this has been due not only to some evolution in my own thinking, but also in two areas I’ve always cared about when it comes to this computer/Internet “stuff”: security and graphics.

Okay, so better security is, of course, just better security. But it helps. If they wanted to, I’m sure the Russians could get inside this thing and start messing with my captions. (I know they’re thinking about it!) But the other one — the advancements in graphics — has been a big incentive for me. Man, did those old computer screens suck when it came to visual nuances. I’ll make up an example: Let’s say I’m going to draw a group of vultures who are scavenging the remains of some poor soul who got lost in the desert, and one of them has encountered a glass eye. (You can see the potential already.) This could probably go several ways, but I’m thinking the bird is excited about his discovery and is telling his buddies he wants to take it home and show his kids. Whatever, I already know there’s a lot to capture in this scene, while trying not to overcomplicate it. Some things have a bit of leeway, but that glass eye? That has to be juuuuuust right, or this thing is damaged goods, if not blown. As for seeing it on an old computer screen? Fuhgeddaboudit. But things have changed. On today’s computers and devices, voilà! — you’re definitely going to see that small, dispossessed eye. I could even add a hint of blue. Ah, yes. Nice eye. (I apologize to anyone who either doesn’t appreciate glass-eye humor or has lost a loved one in the desert, but I’ve got to finish this thing and that’s what jumped in my head.)

Finally, I also concede I’m a little exhausted. Trying to exert some control over my cartoons has always been an uphill slog, and I’ve sometimes wondered if my absence from the web may have inadvertently fueled someone’s belief my cartoons were up for grabs. They’re not. But it’s always been inherently awkward to chase down a Far Side–festooned website when the person behind it is often simply a fan. (Although not everyone is quite so uncomplicated in their motives; my cartoons have been taken and used to help sell everything from doughnuts to rodent control. At least I offer range.) So I’m hopeful this official website will help temper the impulses of the infringement-inclined. Please, whoever you are, taketh down my cartoons and let this website become your place to stop by for a smile, a laugh, or a good ol’ fashioned recoiling. And I won’t have to release the Krakencow.

So here we go. I hope you enjoy TheFarSide.com. I’m very grateful to the digital team at AMU, my longtime publisher, for all their input and hard work on this project. And for those of you who are familiar with The Far Side, and perhaps wishing it had been online before now (as opposed to those who are familiar with my work and have an opposing view), thank you for your patience. I hope all the reasons I’ve given here help explain why I’m so late to this party. But I’m finally here. And I could use a drink.

— Gary Larson

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

He's doing a little better now about updating, and they're still good

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I wish Charles Addams would make new comics

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

Bonaventure posted:

I wish Charles Addams would make new comics

I know a level 7 cleric that can make this happen

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Man oh man I hope he stays away from Ambien and social media... :ohdear:

(comebacks have had bad luck adjusting I've noticed)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

honestly if Cow Tools dropped today it would be less confusing and esoteric than 90% of Gen Z memes. Like, I look at that comic today and am like "this makes perfect sense."

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I hope it will be good. I thought the MST3K comeback was actually good and it had a lot of input from the original creator so... Fingers crossed!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Maya Fey posted:

someone who can draw should make fake new-Larson panels in his style except it turns out he's a huge MAGA guy now

yeah that would be pretty unexpected from an old white guy who makes boring comics

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Bloom County sucked so loving bad it wasn't even fully syndicated. It ran alongside such famous heavy hitters as "Middle Ages" which ran for like eight months in 1985 and 12:01, which didn't even last six months. in 1999. Talk about some real hall-of-fame poo poo there.

i could not disagree more with your opinion op

i am glad the far side is back though and thank you for this thread

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
The sketchbooks are interesting. I've always been fascinated with how cartoonists create their art and ideas, I loved that tenth anniversary Calvin and Hobbes book where Watterson talked about the concepts behind some of my favorite strips. I think when I was little I kinda wanted to be a cartoonist. I knew it was really hard to get into though. Of course then I ended up going to school for 20 years and becoming a vet so how bad could it really be compared to that??

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Way too many parentheses, sloppy writing.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

lmao he's just now making a *website*, at least 20 years behind the times

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

quote:

So I’m hopeful this official website will help temper the impulses of the infringement-inclined. Please, whoever you are, taketh down my cartoons and let this website become your place to stop by for a smile, a laugh, or a good ol’ fashioned recoiling. And I won’t have to release the Krakencow.
You hear? TAKE IT DOWN

lowtax has enough trouble right now without incurring Gary Larson's wrath

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Thesaurus posted:

lmao he's just now making a *website*, at least 20 years behind the times

i cannot in good conscience fault anyone for an abundance of caution in establishing a website

i mean, have you seen the internet??

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I still don't understand cow tools

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

wow another lovely webcomic, great

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Thesaurus posted:

You hear? TAKE IT DOWN

lowtax has enough trouble right now without incurring Gary Larson's wrath

This brings up a good question is it worse to image leech his website or rehost? imgur makes money on ads so technically rehosting redirects to them instead of Larson but I guess they only have so much bandwidth.... Hmmmm

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
No one's ever really gone.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Seriously the sketchbooks own

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Over/Under on how long before Larson gets cancelled because he makes a cartoon that would have been appropriate in the 90's but is unthinkable now?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Inept posted:

yeah that would be pretty unexpected from an old white guy who makes boring comics

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

i could not disagree more with your opinion op

you definitely strike me as a bloom county type of poster. that is a compliment.