Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mr Enderby posted:

Is there any specific reason why airport food in the US so bad and expensive compared to other countries? I fly a lot, and there are other countries with bad food at airports, but the gap in cost and quality between the airport and the city it serves is hugely wider in the US than in any other place I have visited.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

This is more general than airport specific, but since coming back to the US I've gotten sick of restaurants because basically anywhere that isn't explicitly "ethnic" has the same twelve boring things on the menu and the only vegetable is a potato. Some sort of generic salad if you're lucky. Why is there so little variety?

They all buy from Sysco.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Which explains why we get so many cocksucker SBTs

Uh... burn?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You may have seen previously in the thread that solo business travelers are by a very large margin our worst patrons.

Oh I know what you meant, it just seemed like an accidental dig at Cacafuego! :cheerdoge:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My favorite bit of "security theatre" (aside from what Sandwich already posted about tossing all those oh-so-harmful liquids into the same bin 4 feet away from the line, lol)...
Back even before 9/11, my sister was dating a dude that went to prison. She wanted to mail him some CDs. Turns out, CDs weren't allowed in NY prisons. Why? Because all you gotta do is snap one in half with your bare hands, and boom, instant shiv with which you can slash a guy's throat.

So here we've got all the TSA restrictions on me being able to have a tiny nail file in my purse, but "sure okay bring all the CDs you want" on board seemed absolutely baffling.

It really is security theatre.

Sorry to derail your thread, Sandwich. How did your New Years Day go?

If you like what you can do with a CD you’ll be ecstatic when you figure out what you can do with the plastic utensils they replaced the metal cutlery with on airplanes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

do you have a doppelganger restaurant since orlando has that weird mirrored terminal situation

Looks like it’s Outback:
https://upgradedpoints.com/orlando-international-airport-mco

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Be well dude, that TSA guy coming up positive can’t be helping. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Abysmally. We've gone from 40-50k in sales daily, to 2500. I'm running 77% labor with a skeleton crew, and layoff talk has begun. I'm apparently not exempt from that, either.

So I guess we'll see if my career is over soon.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not in a position to do anything about it, but I hate to see it happen. Be as well as you can.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shutting down today. Furloughing our staff with plans to bring everyone back on when the dust settles. All our food inventory is being given to staff and recorded as waste. Wish me luck, and hopefully we see you on the other side.

You and your staff be well and we’ll see you soon.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Probably the proteins, brisket and such. It's going to be free for all really. There is a LOT of food. Whatever doesn't get taken I'm going to see if the local food bank will take, but it's all perishable stuff so probably not.

Homeless shelter? They go through perishable foods very quickly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They can probably throw the book at him, it’s happening in other places when people think they’re playing funy joek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hi Sandwich Anarchist - it's good to see you and this thread again and I'm glad you're doing well!