Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Cappy posted:

Listen buddy, I didn't read what this conversation was actually about. Also, dick is a misandrist insult and I ask that you stop using it. Thank you.

genuinely confused if you're pulling a weird angle for a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Cappy posted:

Listen buddy, I didn't read what this conversation was actually about. Also, dick is a misandrist insult and I ask that you stop using it. Thank you.
shut up

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Cappy posted:

Maybe you should've, so you would have context on what was being said.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Julias posted:

On that note I started the next seasonal thread and was halfway through, but then my brother jacked my computer monitor to use to set up a workstation for his girlfriend (who needs two monitors), so now I've either gotta find another monitor or go through the arduous task of redoing the whole thing...on my cell phone. :stonk: so don't be surprised if it takes a couple more days for the next thread to come out :sweatdrop:

lol u got cucked

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Does it, the human of the group even said he was not comfortable sleeping with halflings cause they look too much like Children.

more people in the group then just a human

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Raws of the first 6 episodes of BNA and subs for the first 2 are out in the usual places.

Trip report: episode one kicks rear end. Also, the ED is really really good.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 22, 2020

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i hope it's good but I'm gonna wait for end of season impressions, I've got enough to watch next season just from safe picks

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One thing I have to give Infinite Dendrogram credit for is just not hard-defaulting to "everyone's avatar looks like their real-world selves" like some VRMMO shows do. I liked the little peeks into the real lives of some of the other characters with this week's episode.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NltMe8vX1o

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The first two episodes of BNA are really good, especially the music.

fake edit: The music is by the same person as Megalobox? Well no wonder

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wait there are already six episodes of BNA out? It's not a weekly?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
its going to air normally and also has 6 eps out in netflix japan, which are being fansubbed. two are out with fansubs.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stink Billyums posted:

looks like higurashi is going to be a remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViVnzjalOsc

God. They went all in on the shiny, plastic look, didn't they?

I really wanted a remake to flesh out the answer stories and fix some of the more egregious animation issues, but it is going to be distracting as gently caress watching a horror show that looks like DB Super.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
of all complaints to have with akio watanabe's style i, don't think it looks anything like dragon ball super.

it's also a bit soon to assume the entire show is gonna be fullbright and shiny when all the pv shows is the more laid-back character stuff

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
To be fair, the horror scenes in the trailer look a fair bit flatter, so they might be going for an intentional contrast. I don't have super-high hopes for it, but I'll check it out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zandar posted:

To be fair, the horror scenes in the trailer look a fair bit flatter, so they might be going for an intentional contrast. I don't have super-high hopes for it, but I'll check it out.

Fair enough. Here's hoping that's the case.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

ah yes, this is exactly how i remember dragon ball super looked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Those first two episodes of BNA were really cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the old higurashi anime also looked like how most anime of that era lookd, it just got extremely exaggerated and off when the horror scenes started

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've decided you're only allowed to say higurashi looks too smooth and polished if you've read all of the vns with the original ryukishi art

big ol meatball hands art. love rena with her gigantic vaguely defined hands that look like she could club a human to death with them

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i feel like the new designs have a hint of the ryukishi faces which wasn't really there in the old anime ones

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've not done that but I like the original Umineko art more than any other version

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I've not done that but I like the original Umineko art more than any other version

i like og higu and umi art a lot

umi's more immediately palatable tho cause the shading's way less garish and the proportions are a bit less hosed in general, so i get why its original look is more popular than higu's

hope if they take another swing at an umineko anime some day they go with a style that captures how dorky battler looks in the og style

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If Satoko's dress isn't painful to look at it's not respecting the original art.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
satoko doesn't even have the ugliest taste in clothing in her own family

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I just hope the murderfaces pack a powerful punch. Evil/Insane laughs are also appreciated.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I can't believe we're having this conversation without pics of the original art.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imagine you're reading og higu with og art so keiichi doesn't get a portrait for four chapters cause ryukishi was taking the shortcut of not having to draw art for pov characters and then you finally get to see him and he looks like this

one of the most deeply impactful moments, of experiencing the original higurashi vn

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Love Hina reboot when?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One thing I have to give Infinite Dendrogram credit for is just not hard-defaulting to "everyone's avatar looks like their real-world selves" like some VRMMO shows do. I liked the little peeks into the real lives of some of the other characters with this week's episode.

dendrogram is solidly alright but I'm still having a real good time of it because of stuff like this

the speed at which ray got strong as poo poo was a little nutty but at least it put him on level with the plot rather than straight OP

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

In the same way that Konosuba's wonky animation somehow just make it funnier and the uncanny way Titans are done in AoT make them more unsettling, the ridiculous animation and off-models in the original Higarashi are part of why its so effective as a horror anime.

The original anime is already nearly perfect and was so good I tried sitting through like 5 other horror anime just to recapture the magic (completely unsuccessfully). A remake is unnecessary.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Have you tried Shiki, btw?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I had it fully spoiled so didn't think it would be worth it. Plus I just didn't care for the art style. I do hear that its basically the only other good horror anime though (unless you count paranoia agent I guess).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
another go-over of animating higurashi is necessary, because i don't think the core of higurashi is really a horror story and the fact that the old anime is viewed so strongly as one, sometimes in ways that cut out emotional development and catharsis that arcs are built on, is a very strange disconnect

like it's a very important part of higurashi in constructing its narrative but it's always been weird to me how emphasized it gets, it's very distinctly one half of a bigger overall experience and not what i would try to use as the absolute selling point for why i love it

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 22, 2020

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Nephthys posted:

I had it fully spoiled so didn't think it would be worth it. Plus I just didn't care for the art style. I do hear that its basically the only other good horror anime though (unless you count paranoia agent I guess).

it has aoi yuuki vampire princess

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The second half of the Higurashi anime is also significantly better than the first half. The first bit is overplayed to the point of unintentional comedy whereas the actually doing poo poo about it half works.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Heh, I was actually fairly disappointed in how much less gripping and interesting the show becomes in the second season after you know the answers. For me the first few arcs are amazing for how insane and intense they are and the horror aspects are the main draw by far.

The doing poo poo about it arcs were a bit too predictable and 'friendship wins again yay' for me tbh, compared to the first half.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Heh, I was actually fairly disappointed in how much less gripping and interesting the show becomes in the second season after you know the answers. For me the first few arcs are amazing for how insane and intense they are and the horror aspects are the main draw by far.

The doing poo poo about it arcs were a bit too predictable and 'friendship wins again yay' for me tbh, compared to the first half.
This post is why it needs a remake.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
higurashi being an unashamedly optimistic story is why it's one of my favorite pieces of writing ever lol

it's arguably crude in places with the final arcs but it proceeds so confidently with it that i actually view it as a strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

The Colonel posted:

another go-over of animating higurashi is necessary, because i don't think the core of higurashi is really a horror story and the fact that the old anime is viewed so strongly as one, sometimes in ways that cut out emotional development and catharsis that arcs are built on, is a very strange disconnect

like it's a very important part of higurashi in constructing its narrative but it's always been weird to me how emphasized it gets, it's very distinctly one half of a bigger overall experience and not what i would try to use as the absolute selling point for why i love it

The problem is a lot of what makes the Higurashi VN excel beyond the horror or mystery is the metric ton of world-building and extra character moments in the TIPS and content that was cut from the anime. I'm not sure you could get that all into 25 episodes. (And I can't see a Higurashi remake getting more than 2 cours.)