Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Psion posted:

to bioware's credit I think they learned how to foreshadow even better in a future title but I'll leave it at that.

Possible Bioware game spoiler, I'm dropping the title --------Jade Empire?-------

Anyways, I called this twist relly loving early when I played way back then, because of this conversation (it's from update 2):

The third option is cut off, but IIRC it finishes "I'm not Revan" or something on those lines. Knowing Carth was a romantic option I just realized that yes, Bioware was going to go there and milk the situation for all the angst in a galaxy far far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The same title occurred to me too. I felt like that one was done well. Foreshadowed, but went further than I had predicted.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
That's the one, omobono.

Still, KOTOR's worked well enough. The idea that the Carth romance line would be a clue that got you to figure it out is hilarious to me for some reason. Bioware Romance giving away plot? Just hilarious.

I looked it up and the third line is "Hey, why are you getting so mad at me? It's not like this was my fault!" by the way. Which, in hindsight, well...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder how many people named their character Raven without knowing. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’d be kind of hilarious if you and Carth were somehow the only ones in the party who didn’t figure it out before Malak spells it out for you... And the only reason they never said anything was because they all thought that you already knew, that you had your reasons for never speaking about it, and so on.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Psion posted:

That's the one, omobono.

Still, KOTOR's worked well enough. The idea that the Carth romance line would be a clue that got you to figure it out is hilarious to me for some reason. Bioware Romance giving away plot? Just hilarious.

I looked it up and the third line is "Hey, why are you getting so mad at me? It's not like this was my fault!" by the way. Which, in hindsight, well...

Probably wasn't tbfh. Nuking a planet "to prove his loyalty" sounds like something Malak would think up and Revan only heard of after the fact. Especially since it's made very clear he wanted to preserve the Republic's infrastructure as much as possible and not being a mouthbreathing idiot in general.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

TitanG posted:

Nuking a planet "to prove his loyalty" sounds like something Malak would think up and Revan only heard of after the fact.
That is entirely what it is, and we'll learn as much in the next update!

I see some folks are talking about Jade Empire. If anyone wants to see how the story of that game pans out, some handsome and talented individual LP'd it a couple of years ago (pay no mind to any weird typos in the updates, anything that looks like it was caused by wonky OCR - like ls or even |s in place of Is - was indeed caused by wonky OCR and I never noticed until the LP got archived).

Speaking of wonky OCR, the latest update originally had Malak calling the Jedi "tools" instead of "fools" because Capture2Text got confused by the font for some reason. I don't know, I think it still works.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I mean, the Jedi definitely are tools, too. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

TitanG posted:

Probably wasn't tbfh. Nuking a planet "to prove his loyalty" sounds like something Malak would think up and Revan only heard of after the fact. Especially since it's made very clear he wanted to preserve the Republic's infrastructure as much as possible and not being a mouthbreathing idiot in general.

yes, I know. But take it one step back: who brought Malak into a position of power within the Sith and indoctrinated him with the Sith mindset (of betraying your master at the most convenient opportunity) that would directly lead to Malak having means, motive, and opportunity to bomb a planet into bits? Revan does not have direct responsibility, no, but some of the overarching blame for Malak, absolutely.

That line has some real double meaning and it seems intended. It's amusing.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 3, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
It's amusing that the Dark Side gives your character yellow eyes, pale flesh and so on, and yet no matter what, in the reveal of your character as Revan, even if you're Light now and supposedly Dark then, your face looks... the same.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My sense was always Malak was Revan's dumb friend from school that she gave too many chances.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

achtungnight posted:

It's amusing that the Dark Side gives your character yellow eyes, pale flesh and so on, and yet no matter what, in the reveal of your character as Revan, even if you're Light now and supposedly Dark then, your face looks... the same.

I don't know if this counts as spoilers, but the sequel drops the vaguest hints that revan was evil-but-with-a-good-cause, not just reveling in spite like malack

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

See you spam Force Wave everything makes the game look drunk. I may have to try rolling as a Jedi Consular next time I play since I usually just either go for the shitwrecker that is the Jedi Guardian or Sentinel for those sweet implants and skill points. The PC being the Dark Lord everyone's chasing after was a nice shock the first time but in hindsight they laid the hints on that twist pretty thick.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Fun fact about the Carth glitch: it'll happen in a cutscene after this entire escape sequence.

Poil posted:

I wonder how many people named their character Raven without knowing. :v:

New episode of That's So Revan, up next on Disney Channel

The reveal cutscene is pretty great regardless of whether or not you know it's coming but imagine if the character creator had more customization than choosing the face. Like, the mask comes off and whatever Monster Factory episode you've been running around with the past few hours staring at the screen.

Fun fact about the Carth glitch: it'll happen in a cutscene after this entire escape sequence.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Gnome de plume posted:

Oh yeah, you're right. I've updated the post accordingly.

It also only seems to trigger if you play the segment as Mission. Juhani isn't present in the cutscene, presumably because she was added back into the game very late in development.

achtungnight posted:

Your face in the reveal cutscene does show the dark side effects. They might be hard to see because of the lighting and Revan's hood, but they're there. You have the yellow eyes, gross veins and cracks on your face, grey hair (for some reason), all that stuff. Here's the full-size image:

I don't think it's quite the full Monster Mash you get if you have max dark side points in the game, though, so in that sense you're right.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 4, 2020

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Has to make one wonder how/if the Dark Side changes you if you’re already a monster in appearance. And why more people don’t notice that it does this and treat the affected accordingly.

Then again, to me the most impressive and scariest beings are the ones who get immense power and aren’t outwardly changed by it that you’d notice. Like in Dresden Files, he soul gazed Murphy and she’s a warrior angel. He soul gazed his cat and his cat looks... exactly the same. :)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Night10194 posted:

My sense was always Malak was Revan's dumb friend from school that she gave too many chances.

Some of the books/comics get into this, but yeah, Malak aka Alek was Revan's follower from day 1 of the Academy

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

"For the Republic, Revan?"
"For the Republic, Alek."

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doc M posted:

"For the Republic, Revan?"
"For the Republic, Alek."

Darth Janus does sound very Star Wars-y :v:

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Been a long time since release, but I remember being pretty amazed at the reveal, which in hindsight seems sorta obvious - but you just didn't see lots of this sort of things in lots of games then, particularly on consoles. Deep and involved stories disappeared along with mid 90s PC adventure games, and most RPGs (that I was exposed to) were traditionally pretty badly written with lots of general Japanese tropes that were pretty alienating to western audiences.

I definitely knew something was up with Revan though, due to all the lore establishing him and what a great and powerful Sith he was and Malaks subsequent betrayal. I think I expected him to show up at some point as the bigger bad, once you defeated Malak.

It's been pretty fascinating looking at this game 17 years later through this thread highlighting much of the problematic dialog and spotty writing, as it really shows how far we've come in general game writing, even if the mechanics are largely the same.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So there's a little thing that I'm pretty sure happens right around here if you miss something.

Remember that little stowaway girl from Dantooine? Little Ki Puna?

If you don't manage to figure out her deal and return her to Dantooine before you get the third star map you will get a cutscene with Zaalbar (IIRC) saying that she's disappeared off the ship and that there's no trace of her. And then, I think it dumps you right into the Kidnapped by Saul scene.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

So there's a little thing that I'm pretty sure happens right around here if you miss something.

Remember that little stowaway girl from Dantooine? Little Ki Puna?

If you don't manage to figure out her deal and return her to Dantooine before you get the third star map you will get a cutscene with Zaalbar (IIRC) saying that she's disappeared off the ship and that there's no trace of her. And then, I think it dumps you right into the Kidnapped by Saul scene.

Well, that’s better than the... alternatives, at least.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Zaalbar (IIRC) saying that she's disappeared off the ship and that there's no trace of her.

Guess Zaalbar got hungry. :wookie: :gibs:

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
My first time through I hadn't caught on to the reveal until the flashback montage. I could see my character's ponytail clipping through the back of Revans hood, which robbed some of the power of that moment.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 30: The Aftermath

Last time, we barely escaped the Leviathan, but more imporantly learned the truth. Darth Revan didn't die when Malak attacked her flagship, but was actually saved by Bastila and taken to the Jedi Council. The Council then proceeded to repair her damaged mind and program a new identity for her as a former smuggler and Republic soldier under Bastila's command, with the idea that she'd unwittingly help the Jedi discover the secret of the Star Forge. That's us, and now that we're back on the Ebon Hawk we're in for one hell of a debriefing...

Where do we start? Would you like the bad news or the worse news first?

This scene, by the way, is where the dreaded Carth glitch (which I believe is technically a bug, but never mind) will trigger if you played as Mission on the Leviathan and were in stealth when you freed the party. It does not happen if you played as Juhani, because Juhani is absent from this scene presumably due to the fact she was added back into the game long after the scene was completed.

Malak is an idiot, but he won't kill Bastila if he thinks there's any chance he could turn her to the dark side.

Of course, there is still the matter of the Star Maps.

Better come clean right away. A lot of the time, these dialogue scenes give us the option to choose whether we wish to keep calling ourselves Zila Galcyon or if we assume the Revan identity again despite being light side, although infuriatingly not all the time. As you'll see eventually, there will be occasions where your options are "Please stop calling me Revan, I'm Zila Galcyon" and "I AM DARTH REVAN, THE TRUE DARK LORD OF THE SITH" and it's annoying.

No, can't say we do.

It seems to me that if you don't really remember anything about being Revan, then it doesn't really matter anymore. You are who you are now, right?

Mission really seems to be the wisest person on this ship sometimes.

Carth, however, is going to need some convincing before he'll accept us.

The whole time we've been chasing after Malak we've had his old Sith Master right at our side; listening to our secrets; hearing our plans!

It's not our fault, is it?

Big Z and I will stick by you. We owe you our lives; we won't desert you now!

Mission and Zaalbar will have our back because we've proven time and again that we're not the evil Sith lord anymore.

That said, since Revan was responsible for teaching Malak the ways of the dark side in the first place, we probably have to shoulder at least a little bit of the blame for Malak's actions even if attacking Telos went directly against Revan's plans not to destroy any of the Republic infrastructure.

I don't know. Let's find out.

Does it change anything? I'm not here to judge you. You'll do what you have to, and I'll help if I can.

Jolee apparently knew all along and doesn't seem to mind. Well, that's helpful.

How about Canderous?

We had never met one like you before, and never since. How can you even ask if I will follow you? Whatever you are fighting, it will be worthy of my skill. I'm your man until the end, Revan, no matter how this plays out.

Canderous will support you no matter what you do.

What about the droids? Apparently, nobody cares what Juhani thinks (since she's not in the scene at all).

Why? What's happening?

Answer: My programming is activating my deleted memory core. I believe I have a... a homing system that is restoring it, master.

A what now?

It seems that the homing system deliberately restores my deleted memory core upon... upon returning to my original master.

Seriously?

Seriously?

I have returned to you, and my full functionality is now under your personal command. It is a distinct pleasure to see you again, master.

I know, I know, the will of the Force and all, but I always thought HK-47 being Revan's personal assassin droid whom we just happened to stumble upon on Tatooine was some "Darth Vader built C-3PO" poo poo and I never liked this particular reveal very much. It just feels too convenient.

Remember we're talking about the Force, here. At this point Malak himself could drop out of the sky and I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Good point.

You guys can lampshade or handwave it all you want, I'm not changing my mind. :colbert:

I thought he'd say that.

I'm not so sure about that, Mission. HK-47 seems like the type, at least.

Not really, no.

Carth is so preoccupied by his own feelings on this bombshell of a revelation that he's never bothered to consider what Zila/Revan might think of the whole situation.

Don't worry - I won't let my personal feelings get in the way of my assignments or this mission. But don't forget: I've sworn an oath to defend the Republic! As long as this mission stays on course I'll stick with you. But I won't let you betray the Republic under any circumstances! So I guess that's it then... we keep going. We've still got one more Star Map to uncover if we're going to find that Star Forge and save Bastila, so let's do it before it's too late.

That ends the debriefing, but now that we've got control again we can ask our crew members about how each of them feels about the whole Revan thing.

And?

I can't hate you. I tried... I wanted to hold you responsible for all the things you've done. For my... for my wife, for Telos... for Dustil. But I can't.

Despite whatever part of Revan is inside you, the... the darkness that must surely be there, it isn't who you are. That's why I can't hate you, why I don't want any more revenge. You don't have to be Revan, you can be so much more. Whatever the Jedi did to you, they gave you that chance. Whatever's happened up until this point, there's going to come a time very soon where you're going to have to make a choice. And there won't be any turning back.

And if I make the wrong choice?

Fair enough.

I will stay with you to the end, Zila Galcyon. And I will judge you on your actions as I see them, not on a history I have never known.

Zaalbar, as we heard before, has our back.

The one... the Jedi whose troops saved me on Taris... It was Revan, leading an army out to defeat the Mandalorians. It was you...

Why didn't she recognize us before? Surely, Revan didn't wear the whole Sith Lord getup with the mask and everything when she was still a Jedi.

The woman who saved me, who I... I have come to care for, could never go completely to the dark side.

I do not think now that I will fall to the dark side. I only have to look to you and follow by your example and there is no way I can fail.

I will never forget what you did for me, even if you do not remember it.

Juhani has the utmost respect for us and, in her words, has come to care for us. We're not going to betray her trust.

So it doesn't bother you at all?

I don't see the Sith Lord standing here, I see a friend who's been with us through thick and thin! Remember - Malak's the one who tried to destroy Taris!

Again, Mission couldn't care less about our past.

Let's see what HK-47 has to say.

Statement: My functionality has now been fully restored, master. I exist to serve Revan as your personal battle droid. In time, my assassination protocol can be restored... and at that point I will once again endeavour to eliminate any meatbag opposition you may have.

With HK's memory core restored, we can no longer attempt any repairs on him, which locks us out of any repairs we didn't complete prior to the Leviathan. Apparently, if you don't talk to him in the debriefing, you'll still be able to complete the repairs until the end of the game but won't actually get the reveal about him originally being your droid. That might actually not be so bad, now that I think of it...

I was sent on an assassination mission into Mandalorian space, but I was damaged and unable to return to you. Exclamation: I find this most distressing. I could certainly have protected you from the Jedi and your pupil's betrayal had I returned.

Maybe HK-47 can tell us something about the person we used to be. Hell, maybe he knows something about the Star Forge or can offer some insight on Malak.

This cannot solely be caused by memory loss. I do not know how to explain it. Regardless, you do seem to be improved, overall, from the human I once knew.

Do you know anything about the Star Forge?

Answer: No, master. You never did make me privy to any of the Star Forge's secrets.

Oh well. It was worth a try.

If I had known what he would do to you, master, I would have gladly removed his entrails right then!

So... why the 'meatbag' references?

Answer: It was you who programmed me thus, master. Your pupil once asked what I thought of him and I informed him of his meatbag status. He was unimpressed, but you found the reference humorous. You changed my programming so that I would continue to use the term. It drove your pupil to extreme lengths of frustration.

It can't just be an amusing quirk HK-47 has developed on his own, it's gotta be because YOU THE PLAYER CHARACTER programmed it in all along!

I'm not sure I do, to be honest.

That'll be all.

Jolee doesn't have anything to say about us being Revan because he doesn't really care all that much, which is just as well because we could use a conversation that isn't about Revan at this point.

So you weren't an adventurer?

Didn't I say that my past was my affair? You don't see me poking and prodding you with questions, do you?

I'm sure if we actually remembered anything from our time as the Dark Lord of the Sith or prior to that, we'd have plenty of stories Jolee might find interesting.

And besides... you don't really want to hear about me. We're talking ancient history, probably before you were born. History bores kids. Proven fact.

Yes, yes, I was an adventurer. Happy now? I wasn't even done with my Jedi training back then. I had a full head of hair and an eagerness to see absolutely everything. Sound familiar? The Council was never very happy with willful, brash Jolee Bindo, you see. Even less so when I began my smuggling career.

Somehow, I don't think we should pick the "A Jedi would never be a smuggler!" option, considering the fact we recently sold spice to some dubious individuals and are currently carrying an even more questionable package in the cargo hold. We should take a look at that later, actually.

At the time the Ukatis system was interdicted by its own King. He preferred to keep his people starving and poor, all the better to oppress them. The Senate was trying to negotiate a peace, but they were getting nowhere as usual. I decided I wasn't going to wait. I found myself a ship and a partner and we began smuggling food and supplies to the Ukatis citizenry through the blockade.

Pilot, smuggler... several other things, too. Or did you suppose I was always a crotchety hermit?

Where did you get the credits for all the supplies?

Ah. Somehow I get the feeling the Jedi wouldn't approve.

We only got caught once. A lone Ukatish frigate shot us down and forced a crash landing. I thought the Force had abandoned me, as I remember.

That was the day you what?

Oh.

I... If it's all the same to you, I'd prefer to stop talking now. My mouth is starting to draw flies.

Certainly, but first let's ask about this Sunry we heard about just before we left Korriban.

A man could have changed a lot in that span of time, though. But to become a murderer? Oh, mm mm mm. I can't see it. That's not the Sunry I knew. He was a good man. Put me up in his home for a year back after I left the order. War hero, too, or so I hear. I wouldn't mind helping the fellow, if we can. I owe it to him. Or you can be a young monkey-lizard and ignore me, I guess... well, I don't expect much these days.

We'll get back to Jolee soon enough, but first we need to offload some junk at the Yavin station.

Then, we'll head to Tatooine. Why Tatooine? Well, because there are a couple more sidequests we need to start, and landing on Tatooine or Korriban is the most reliable way to do so.

Namely, we've got two more party member sidequests.

With Canderous back in the party, we'll equip the Mandalorian battle armor on him because... well, come on. One problem with this armor is the fact it removes any DEX bonus you might have, but that'll be fine because Canderous is going to be a melee attacker from here on out.

Canderous has been out of the party for so long that he'll be getting two extra attribute points, and I'll put both of them into STR to get that up to 17. That will then get boosted by equipment so we can get the next modifier.

Apparently, I did give him Toughness when he first joined the party. Oops. Or maybe he already had it, like Juhani. Well, whatever. It's not going to matter. I didn't take Dueling, that's just where the cursor was when I took the screenshot.

We'll give Canderous all the melee combat feats.

There we go. Now he just needs a weapon, and maybe an implant or another accessory to get to 18+ STR.

Naga Sadow's poison blade seems it'd be right up his alley.

Juhani has also leveled up and gained a new feat, so we'll give her Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, as well as Destroy Droid for her new power.

Right, now we're ready to move on.

This looks promising...

Uh, okay?

I'll bet.

Traditionally, we have always done business with the owner of the Ebon Hawk: Davik Kang, most recently. Ahita Othar before him. Forii Haxa before her. But we were reluctant to approach you. You had no ties to the Exchange, which was a problem. Even worse, you were a Jedi! Not the sort of person we normally associate with.

The tracking device reported back to us that you had been captured by the Leviathan. Once we had that information, we began digging into our sources within the Sith fleet.

Your escapades on the Leviathan created quite a stir in the Sith fleet. Of course Malak tried to suppress the truth about your identity: there were more than a few summary executions.

That sounds like something Malak would do, yes.

I think their sources might have gotten a couple of key details slightly wrong.

My partner and I deal in very rare and powerful items. Weapons, armor: things you could use in your battles against Malak and the Sith.

Sounds good to me.

We're currently walking around with approximately 75,000 credits, so we should be able to afford something decent. Where is this partner?

Ah, the bartender. Okay then. We'll be sure to drop by once we're done here.

I guess my work here is done. Goodbye, Revan. And once Malak is beaten, don't forget who helped you to victory.

Would you mind removing that tracking beacon of yours from our ship before we go? No? Okay, just wondering.

After Ziagrom leaves, another NPC approaches us.

This is Xor. If you've played the PC version, you may remember him being a Twi'lek for whatever reason. Xor being human makes more sense if you know what his deal is, but we're getting slightly ahead of ourselves here. Who is this idiot and what does he have against Cathar?

Well, we can certainly tell Xor here is a raging rear end in a top hat.

What? You...

This seems bad.

Hm... now where could I have... No, he's dead and she likely is too. I...

What are you talking about??

Maybe I was wrong. Still, I think a specimen like you would be a nice addition to my collection. So what would it take, Jedi, for you to sell your pet here to me?

What the gently caress? What kind of a moron comes up to a Jedi and casually asks them to sell one of their friends as a slave?

The females make amusing pets, but males should be put down like the animals they are. I remember one time on Taris...

Oh no.

Put one of you down like the animals you are. So easy... then I saw one of the females on the auction block, but those darn Jedi...

It was you!

What? Me? Oh ho! Now I recognize where I've seen that face before. You were the little Cathar I was going to purchase. But those Jedi came and stole my pet away from me!

So yeah, Xor here killed Juhani's father and tried to buy her from the Exchange slavers just as the Jedi showed up... just as we showed up and put a stop to their business dealings.

Xor being a human makes a lot more sense than him being a Twi'lek, because no Twi'lek on Taris would've been in any position to buy slaves.

You Jedi act all prim and proper, but inside you must feel the same way I do about the lesser, non-human species. The Sith at least let their feelings show on the outside.

Would you say the Sith "tell it like it is"?

Juhani, of course, is distraught.

Uh... hold on a second! Don't be hasty!

Xor talks big, but he's a coward. Of course he is, they always are.

We promised to intervene if we ever thought Juhani was about to cross the line over to the dark side again, and this is definitely one of those cases. Xor is so vile that this quest is also one of the very few situations in KotOR where it's genuinely difficult to resist the temptation of the dark side. This fucker deserves to get a lightsaber right through his junk.

Yes, yes... Say no to the dark side...

Jesus, what an rear end in a top hat.

We'll encounter Xor again later, as you might expect. Now, I've heard that starting this quest can lock you out of all the other party member sidequests, but that was not the case for me on this playthrough because we'll be able to do Canderous's quest just fine.

Before we get to any of that, Jolee has more to say. Well, maybe he does. We need to get him to talk first.

Yeah, that got us nowhere.

Let's try a little harder.

Here and there, yeah. Surprisingly often, to be honest.

If you're lucky, most of them will be good. If you're not, some will be bad. If you're really unlucky, some will be so bad you never want to be reminded of them again... ever. You'll go far away, to a place that doesn't hold any memories at all. And there you'll be happy just to forget and be forgotten.

Err...

That's quite an assumption you're making there, gramps.

At least he shares our opinions on the Jedi in this regard.

Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love, itself, will save you... not condemn you. Ahhhh, but listen to me go on as if I had all the answers. What do I know of love anymore? I'm just a lonely old man who's not even a Jedi.

Love causes pain, certainly. Inevitably love is going to lead to as much sorrow and regret as it does joy. I suppose there are perfect, eternal loves out there... but I haven't seen any.

Indeed. As a great philosopher of ancient times once said, "It's strong and it's sudden and it's cruel sometimes, but it might just save your life. That's the power of love."

He's trying to distract us with all this rambling, isn't he?

I'll tell you one thing: sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you and the one you love simply aren't meant to be together. The trick is to know when that is, to know when it's time to fight and when it's time to part ways.

He'll have to tell us eventually.

However, before we get there, we have something else to deal with - this box Lurze gave us on Korriban. Lurze was adamant we should never open it under any circumstances. But why? It's just a box, and he said it wasn't a bomb or anything like that.

You know, if we're going to be delivering this thing to Motta the Hutt, we should know what the hell it actually is. We're opening the box right now, I don't care what's inside it.

What have we just gotten ourselves into?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Marcellus will be disappointed. This is clearly not the box he sent us to retrieve.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

achtungnight posted:

Marcellus will be disappointed. This is clearly not the box he sent us to retrieve.

But does he look like a bitch?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
God, this light side/dark side writing just makes my brain shut down at points. You'd probably get more people getting Dark Side points with that Juhani incident if you could just saber that guy down. The fact that it isn't even an option kind of shows how badly that is written.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No, you see. That guy's a slaver. Means he's safe from Jedi.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Hahahaha I want to argue but I really can't.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's one of those things where originally I was like 'well I guess that was a unique situation where they weren't in a position to rescue everyone during Episode 1' to 'Wait this is a loving pattern with these guys' the more I paid attention to it.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
The jedi are basically :decorum: personified unless there's sith lords involved.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Grizzwold posted:

The jedi are basically :decorum: personified unless there's sith lords involved.

...The more I think about this, the truer it seems. The Jedi truly are all about maintaining the Republic’s status quo at all costs.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
A dark side option to force choke that guy to shut him up would also have been good. Really I just want force powers other than mind trick to come into play outside of combat sometimes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 31: Let's Break KotOR

In this short bonus update (which still keeps the regular numbering so I don't have to screw around with the update titles when I send this thing to the archive), I'm going to show off one of the most famous glitches/bugs in KotOR, or at least the Xbox version of KotOR. The PC version, while it still features its share of bugs and glitches and general jankiness, at least got rid of this major glitch that everyone playing the game on Xbox probably gets at least once per playthrough.

We'll start aboard the Ebon Hawk, ready to leave Tatooine.

Now, we'll head to the planet where we found our last Star Map prior to the Leviathan. In our case, it's Korriban. Wookieepedia states this glitch only triggers if we set Dantooine as our destination before getting captured by the Leviathan, but this information is completely false as I'm about to demonstrate.

Along the way, we fight off some Sith fighters. This has to happen for the glitch to trigger. I'm not certain if skipping any of the FMVs triggers the glitch more reliably, but this time I did skip the Tatooine liftoff and "fighters inbound" cutscenes.

With the fighters exploded into space dust, we'll land on Korriban. I let the cutscene play here.

Upon landing, we find ourselves in the main hold of the Ebon Hawk instead of in the cockpit like usual. Not only that, but our entire crew is also hanging out in the main hold. Well, almost. This is the same setup from the post-Leviathan debriefing (including the music playing in the background) so Bastila is gone because Malak, and Juhani's absent because BioWare didn't have time to put her in the scene after adding her back into the game at the last minute. We can talk to them but they just repeat their normal lines.

Now, I like Wookiees but this is ridiculous. For whatever reason, Zaalbar has cloned himself. One of the Zaalbars just stands there like he did in the actual scene, while the other one follows us around. I have no idea why there are two Zaalbars and why one of them acts like a party member, but there you have it.

Would a Zaalbar clone be called Zaaalbar or Zaalbaar? is Zaalbar himself a clone of a Wookiee named Zalbar? :tinfoil:

The Ebon Hawk's hyperdrive is gone for unknown reasons.

So is the workbench. The swoop bike is still there, though.

We also don't get the "Exit Ebon Hawk" prompt when we approach the loading ramp. I ended up accidentally getting too close to the actual exit, so the game tries to load... something.

Not only that, but it also autosaves. That, by the way, is the generic loading screen you see at the very start of a new game, so who the gently caress knows what the game is saving or loading.

The answer to the latter question appears to be nothing, because the game just crashes at this point. I didn't try loading the autosave it made because I was afraid it'd corrupt something, although the more likely scenario is that it just throws up another infinite load screen.

I didn't finish exploring, so let's repeat the glitch. It's easy to trigger if you know what you're doing, but it thankfully doesn't happen every time we travel to Korriban post-Leviathan or otherwise we'd be screwed out of stuff like Mika Dorin's special store.

We're back on the glitchy Ebon Hawk, and this is the cargo hold. All the containers are gone, and in their place is another swoop and a weird astromech the game calls a "swoop droid".

We can talk to the swoop droid, but it's not making much sense. According to Wookieepedia, the swoop droid was meant to be an early version of the fast travel system:

Wookieepedia posted:

During an early development phase, the Swoop Droid was meant to take your character, and your party, to any place of your choice on any of the worlds you had access to. The Swoop Droid was also planned to be able to fetch you and your party from any point, and drive you back to the Ebon Hawk, but then the Swoop Droid got replaced by the Rapid Transit System, which allows you to get back to the Ebon Hawk at any time anyway.

In the final game, we only get fast travel to the Ebon Hawk and back, and being able to fast travel to any destination on any planet actually sounds really nice and would've cut down on backtracking.

There is nothing in the crew quarters or the medical bay, so let's make our way to the only remaining area of the ship - the cockpit.

In the cockpit, we discover something very, very bizarre. This whole glitchy nonsense we've seen is commonly known as the Galaxy Droid glitch, and here's the droid itself.

What's interesting about the Galaxy Droid is that it can actually warp us to any major location in the game.

This includes the Endar Spire, Taris, the Leviathan, and a couple of areas we haven't seen yet. I believe the Endar Spire and Leviathan will crash the game, and if you warp to Taris... well, I hope you like Taris, because you're back in that abandoned apartment with Carth and there is no way back aside from playing through the game again or loading a save file.

I told the droid to take us to Tatooine. That's still clearly Korriban we see outside the cockpit windows, but presumably if we were to leave the ship now we'd find ourselves back on Tatooine. Or maybe the game would crash again, because I've read some forum posts reporting that sort of thing happening on the Xbox One.

So what is the Galaxy Droid? It kind of seems like it was meant to be a debug feature that'd make it easier to access any of the major locations of the game, and perhaps this whole glitchy Ebon Hawk module was intended as a debug environment for testing the party member conversations, as well as companion AI and other features with the clone Zaalbar following you around. Or maybe the Ebon Hawk module used in the post-Leviathan scene was from an early development build, with the Swoop Droid still around and the galaxy map functionality not yet implemented - hence the presence of the Galaxy Droid in the cockpit. Since you can't control your character during the scene, you won't notice anything weird so BioWare kept it intact in the final game. Juhani's absence would also hint at the scene having been created early on in development.

As for how the glitch actually works and why we can access this module after completing the Leviathan, your guess is as good as mine. Clearly, the module shouldn't normally be accessible, but for some reason it is very easy to access in the Xbox release. I also don't have any way to find out if the glitch still worked after the balance patch that was distributed on Xbox Live, but what I do know for sure is that it does not exist in the PC version.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this exciting "Let's Break" bonus update. Next time, we'll join back up with Zila in the infinite white void she found herself in at the end of the last main update.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 5, 2020

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I'd thought he'd be Zaaaalbar.

Or the original is Zalbar and the clone has been with us the whole time.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Night10194 posted:

No, you see. That guy's a slaver. Means he's safe from Jedi.

:capitalism:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

“We’re sorry, but per [obscure Galactic Republic law], we’re actually morally obligated to assist with the capturing of slaves.”

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Nah they just get paid off by free Force-sensitive slaves. It's not child slavery and cult brainwashing if they get donated into a better situation, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
What a bizarre bug! I love weird ones like those. Pretty sure I never came across that one, as I certainly would remember it.

It reads like some weird fever dream where the environment and people you've been interacting with are familiar, yet strangely wrong, with stranger droids hanging all around the place.