Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

At first, Jolee knowing you were Revan all along sounded sorta handwavy.

Then I remembered that he's known about the Star Map for years, and almost certainly saw you and Malak on your initial trip to Kashyyyk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Juhani's model is so ugly that I almost agree with the space racists. I kinda wish they had gone whole hog with it and just made her a full-on cat person. Or better, one of these guys https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Hohass_Ekwesh

Also, I like to think Revan wore the full getup around even as a jedi.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the comics address the getup/fill in some background lore and details but some of that might be spoilers

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, I like to think Revan wore the full getup around even as a jedi.

To be fair, having a student who walks around in all black with a deep hood and creepy skull mask at all times would probably cause the Jedi council to mutter ominously about how this is highly irregular and then do absolutely nothing about it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

megane posted:

To be fair, having a student who walks around in all black with a deep hood and creepy skull mask at all times would probably cause the Jedi council to mutter ominously about how this is highly irregular and then do absolutely nothing about it.

I ever become a Jedi, I am totally testing that theory. :)

Also, for the record, I don’t think Juhani is ugly at all. Not the most attractive Jedi in the game, but not the least either.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

achtungnight posted:

I ever become a Jedi, I am totally testing that theory. :)

Also, for the record, I don’t think Juhani is ugly at all. Not the most attractive Jedi in the game, but not the least either.

Just the character model is bad.

Weren't cathar introduced to be eaten by a wampa?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Particularly in motion I remember her face being really janky during conversations. Also they gave her a topknot like she's from 40k.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Sure looks like a debug room to me. The Zaalbar clone is interesting, maybe it was for testing the AI pathing, especially in close quarters. Or maybe for testing Zaalbar's model and/or animations. Things like his head clipping through a too-low doorframe or some such.

As to how the glitch works, my educated guess is an incorrectly-set flag. The game most likely has numerous Ebon Hawk maps, which are used for different planets, cutscenes, etc. It relies on variables to tell it which map to load. If the variables return a value that the developers didn't intend, then the player winds up in a map they didn't intend. Simple as that. Although we have no real way of knowing, there were probably other bugs fixed during testing like "landed on Tattooine, exited the Ebon Hawk, and then I was on Korriban." It's all the same error: the game faithfully carrying out the wrong set of instructions.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Particularly in motion I remember her face being really janky during conversations. Also they gave her a topknot like she's from 40k.

Yeah, she always really struck me as deep in the uncanny valley.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 32: Riddles in the Light

Last time, we opened a mysterious box and ended up... err... wherever this is. Let's see if our map has any information.

Apparently, we're in a prison. That doesn't really narrow it down very much. However, we can see someone in the distance near the strange obelisks, so let's go have a chat with them.

This guy looks a lot like the Buildogram on Kashyyyk, so we can probably assume he is an actual Builder. Why is he in this box?

Presumably, the other two were the previous guys who were given the job of hauling this box to Motta the Hutt. We should probably be worried about the fact there's no sign of them.

I don't like the sound of this.

My own people put our criminals in little cages like this. Well... our minds, anyway. For really terrible criminals like me our mind gets locked away forever. How long have I been here now? Hmmm... one... four... no, no, longer than that. I've never been very good with numbers.

Me neither, buddy. Anyway, it seems this really is a prison, but instead of imprisoning this guy physically his people opted to lock his mind in this box somehow.

You said "three in a row" earlier. Have there been others besides me?

Oh yes yes indeed. Two others of entirely different species visited me before you. I couldn't speak with them like I can with you, however. They eventually grew angry and ran off into the whiteness. If you go far enough out, you may find them... though I wouldn't recommend it. They're likely quite mad. All this whiteness can do that to you, you know. It'll drive you mad mad mad. If you let it.

Zila can communicate with the prisoner because she understands the language of the Builders, most likely because of some Revan-related shenanigans in the past. The other two had no such luck.

I think we've established as much, but maybe the prisoner can tell us more about how this place works.

Great! Let's hear it. But wait... if there is a way out, why is he still here?

The point is that I know a way out of this clever little prison. Interesting, that, wouldn't you say?

I suppose that might pose something of a problem.

Now before you go off getting all excited and defensive, let me tell you that I can't go jumping into your body without your willing agreement. Conversely, you can't go jumping back into your body without my knowledge. This leaves us at something of an impasse, wouldn't you agree?

It is like this, dear sentient... if you like, we could spend the next thousand years debating. You want out, I want out, it could go on and on. Unless your species is remarkably long-lived, I doubt your body has a thousand years. And, frankly, I doubt either of us is going to convince the other of anything, yes? So why waste the time? A simple competition between the two of us and we settle the matter. You win, you go free. I win, I go free. Yes?

That's it?

How do I know I could trust you?

You have no reason not to trust me, now. If I were to betray you, then you would never trust me again... and we would be stuck here arguing forever.

It only takes once.

I suppose that's true. But if you won and I did not release you, there would never be another chance for me to escape anyway, would there? You would never agree to it.

True enough.

What kind of competition do you mean?

I have little clue as to which activities you are superior at. You are at the same disadvantage with me, I suspect. So the best game is one of the mind. An exchange of riddles, perhaps. The first of us to fail at an answer loses. What do you think?

Riddles? Sure, we can do riddles, I think.

That being the case, and seeing as this is technically my home, I'll go first. Now... let's see...

Come on, is that the best you've got?

Well, at least we didn't lose in the first round.

Fair is fair, sentient. Your turn.

Can't go wrong with the classics.

Very clever, sentient... but it is my turn once again! "I never was, yet always will be. I am never seen, yet always come. I can carry nothing, yet hold much for some."

Still not too difficult to figure out.

Alright, let's see now...

Let's go with this one.

Very clever, sentient... but it is my turn once again! "Who makes it has no need of it. Who buys it has no use for it. Who uses it has no knowledge of it."

We're actually going to be here for a thousand years, aren't we?

That's not really a riddle, is it?

Err... carry the two... ninety-four? No, ninety-six! Is it ninety-six?

Ah, finally. There is no way you can win this any earlier.

I think I knew it a thousand years ago. I guess I've been here so long I've forgotten. My, that is depressing.

It took me as long as I've been here to figure out the only exit... and even then, I'm sure it's only happened because my prison is no longer secure. Hmmm. I do have to wonder how that happened. Are my people still about? If they were, I can't see that they'd let my prison loose so easily. But even if they are gone, I doubt you'd be able to find any way to release me. No, I suppose I shall just have to wait for someone who is not as proficient at riddles as you are to come along.

He'll still be here when The Old Republic rolls around.

There's nothing complicated to it. It's better for me to just show you than teach you. Just close your eyes a moment, sentient...

And with that, we've escaped the box. Lurze wasn't kidding when he said we shouldn't open this thing.

I don't know what Motta plans to do with it, nor do I care as long as we get paid.

Speaking of which, let's deliver it to the man himself.

Yeah, I know what box you're talking about. I thought that was supposed to be here a month ago. You take a detour, huh? Ahh, never mind. You open the box?

It was great! You should try it.

I suppose you're expecting some payment now, huh? I'll give you 2000 credits for the box, and you can run on your way.

You can do better than that.

I'll have some of my spaceport workers unload the box from your ship. You take the credits and go. Say hello to Lurze for me.

That takes care of our business on Tatooine.

We were told last time about Mika Dorin at the Dreshdae cantina on Korriban selling "special items", so we'll head to Korriban and check those out.

But first, more old man conversations.

Multiple times, even!

Everyone thinks that Jedi are perfect, that they can do no wrong. They think the Jedi Council is completely incapable of injustice.

:laffo: That's the best joke I've heard this week.

Hmph. I guess you aren't as stupid as you sometimes act. No doubt you've been on the receiving end of Jedi justice at least once, eh?

Err... yes? They kinda reprogrammed our mind and that sort of thing.

No, I'm talking about how, more often than not, your average robe-wearing Jedi can try to do the right thing and still be completely *wrong*.

Come to think of it, I don't have to be clear. Someone my age is entitled to ramble, dammit! But for your sake I'll try to explain. I'll tell you a little tale about a Jedi Master I once knew. Hortath, I think. Or was it Hartoth? I could never get it straight...

Where was I, then? Oh. Oh, yes... Master Hortath. He was a kindly old Jedi who meant well, but the most near-sighted thing in the Core, I swear. He would walk into walls, knock over tables, mistake apprentices for rancor beasts... that sort of thing. And he was too proud to submit to proper treatment. Some used to counsel him and urged "Use the Force, Master Hortath. Allow the Force to see for you." But he refused to believe that his eyes were failing. He simply squinted more and more as the years went on, the other Jedi resignedly passing it off as the amusing quirk of a compassionate old man.

Quite sure of himself, Hortath gave the lad directions... which happened to lead back outside and away from the enclave. The Padawan is confused, naturally. He asks if Master Hortath is sure, and of course Master Hortath says that he is. The Padawan suggests that perhaps he should ask someone else... but the proud Hortath now feels insulted. He tells the Padawan to take the route he prescribed and no other. Rather dejectedly, the Padawan did as he was told... and so ended up leaving the Jedi Order forever. It was decided that the boy's fate was to leave the Order anyway... though whether that was out of respect for Hortath or because the boy went on to something else, well, we'll never know.

You said you knew this Master!

The tale is about blindness and I thought the point was clear. At any rate, you think about it. You're the one who asked why the Jedi left me, remember? Now let's get going. My feet are itching for a good run.

I think we get the idea, but we would still like to actually hear what caused Jolee's exit from the Order. Anyway, we'll get back to him later. Right now we should get off the ship and get to the cantina.

Now what?

One would assume so, yes.

Althir? Canderous mentioned that earlier. Something about a risky move he pulled to ensure victory in the battle, even though it meant disobeying orders.

You sent us to die in a foolish attack while you directed your forces elsewhere! You broke from the battle plan and let us die for it, so that you could have the 'honor' of being the first to the enemy commander!

Clearly, Jagi has different ideas about Canderous's "heroics" in the battle.

He's a Mandalorian. What do you think he's going to do?

In the dune seas of Tatooine, I will be waiting for you. I have spread the news of the challenge since I learned you had landed on this world. All the surviving Mandalorian clans know of what I do here, and that we shall meet on Tatooine to settle this debt of vengeance once and for all.

Of course.

It will be you and me alone in the dune seas of Tatooine: a final battle that can only end in death. I shall be waiting for you there, Canderous.

You didn't expect anything different, did you? We'll head back to Tatooine in a second, but first let's visit Mika at the cantina and take a look at that special stock of his.

Is there something you are needing now?

That was why Ziagrom did not approach you earlier. We had no idea who you were, or if we wanted to do business with you. Of course that has all changed now, Lord Revan.

The previous owners of the Ebon Hawk would often resell the items they purchased, but in your case I imagine you might find more than a few of them quite useful against your old apprentice.

Sounds good.

Yes, of course. I'm sure you'll find my selection to be very interesting.

Mika wasn't kidding. He does have some genuinely excellent items on offer. We buy the Dominator Gauntlets for Zila, because +5 STR is a massive upgrade. It'll get us to 19 STR, but eventually we'll be able to get that up to 20 with another item.

Meanwhile, this'll boost our DEX to 19 as well. Again, we'll be able to reach 20 DEX eventually, but for now this'll do.

Yep, that is a pretty solid boost. Quite expensive too, but that shouldn't be a huge issue as long as we'll have about 50,000 credits by the time we finish Manaan.

We'll head to Tatooine very soon.

Okay, have it your way.

And we're back. No more conversations available at the moment, especially since I failed to unlock the remaining conversations for Carth and Juhani before the Revan reveal, so we won't be hearing any more from them. If I had remembered you lock yourself out of those conversations at that point, I'd have spent more time wandering around with Carth and Juhani before the Leviathan, but even then it might've been a problem because the Leviathan grabs you the moment you leave the planet with the fourth Star Map. In case you couldn't tell, I really don't like the way KotOR handles the party member conversations.

At any rate, we're back in the Dune Sea so Jagi should show up any moment now.

And there he is.

Well, he's not the only one.

"I'm also the protagonist and I have to be in the party at all times."

This is stupid.

This is a matter of honor. I cannot stand by this insult. I must do this.

Will you two give it a rest with the macho bullshit already?

I speak truth! And honor is the question here! The deaths of my comrades, your warriors, is a debt in blood that can only be paid by you. When you saw prospects for glory, you abandoned the plan and left us to die surrounded by enemies!

If I had not attacked when I did, the battle would not have been won so easily!

It would still have been won! You sent your own men to die there Canderous. I cannot forgive you for what you did to us! You will pay!

If that is the case, Jagi does seem to have a legitimate grievance.

Canderous doesn't seem to think that's how it went down, though.

If I had not done what I did, many more warriors would have died and the battle would have taken much longer. I stand by my decision.

As an aside, the bloom makes it look like Canderous has a severe case of sunburn here.

Maybe he'll listen to us. It's worth a try. Nobody needs to die like an idiot.

Oh. Well. Never mind then. We tried, but I guess we'll have to do this the hard way then.

Following the mandatory Force Wave, I assign Canderous to attack Jagi with Naga Sadow's poison blade as Zila and Juhani take care of the thugs.

Jagi is down, so now we just need to finish these guys.

And that'll be the end of that.

Thanks for what you did, whatever your intentions might have been. I just need... time.

It seems this encounter gave Canderous something to think about, but he's not ready to talk about it yet.

How about now?

Okay, we'll get back to him later. Let's go pester Jolee instead.

Accurate, but not exactly the answer we were looking for.

What would you put in a Sith sandwich?

You did. You said you fought them.

Oh... that's right. drat the ears of the young! I was expecting you to be your usual inattentive self when I mentioned that.

We've heard a few things about Exar Kun, but we don't know a whole lot about him other than that he tried to conquer the Republic.

Exar and Ulic Qel-Droma were possessed by the spirit of Marka Ragnos on Empress Teta, but Exar had already fully embraced the dark side by that point. He had been corrupted by the spirit of Sith Lord Freedon Nadd and enslaved the Massassi of Yavin IV to build Sith temples on the jungle moon.

In Legends continuity, the spirit of Exar Kun was still around in 11 ABY and helped make the Extended Universe novels even worse by turning Luke Skywalker's Jedi apprentice Kyp Durron to the dark side. That was around the time I stopped reading EU novels forever. Thanks, Exar Kun!

What surprised us... what took us completely unprepared... was how utterly successful he was. Many Jedi joined him and became Sith, themselves. Why they did I... I will never truly know. But they did. Battle broke out throughout the order... pupil against master, we fought ourselves...

Oh. Oh dear. That doesn't mean what it sounds like, does it?

Ask me again about the war some other time. Just... not now. I would prefer to be by myself for now.

It probably means exactly what it sounds like, but we'll find out later.

We're heading back to Korriban for no particular reason. This would be where the Let's Break update takes place, by the way.

When we exit the Ebon Hawk, we run into a familiar face and some more Rodian thugs. This is Xor, and he's come back for Juhani.

It'd be nice to finally gut Xor in a proper fight, but of course it's not over yet and he survives because the quest demands it.

Juhani's placement in this scene is a bit awkward, but there's not a lot I could do about it.

Not everyone who fought alongside the Mandalorians did it for their stupid concept of 'honor'. Some of us did it just for the pleasure: the pleasure of seeing your world burn.

You... you animal! You wretch!

*cough* *cough* Heh, but I'm beyond your petty vengeance now, girl. You can never have your revenge!

We could tell Juhani to kill him, but what's the point?

I killed your people on Cathar in the sky, on the ground, in their homes. I hunted them down like the animals they were, just to see them burn. But the treacherous beasts fought back and left me with injuries that meant I could never fight again... or so they thought!

To her credit, Juhani is still keeping calm.

The male was easy enough to best, but the females proved elusive. I didn't know what happened to them after I killed the male, until I saw this cursed woman on the auction block. But then the Jedi came and ruined everything before I could have my revenge... *cough*

You... You killed my father, you killed my people, you treat us like animals... You deserve to die!

He does, but he's dying anyway. This piece of poo poo isn't worth it.

He's still trying, though.

We're not going to give him his wish.

Just die already! Geez.

Finally. Good riddance.

I do regret, though, that he did not die by my hand...

But... it was for the best. I am glad that you stood by my side during this. We should continue our journeys now. No reason for staying here for this.

She's right. There's nothing else left for us to do here on Korriban.

So, next time we'll head to Manaan and begin our search for the last Star Map.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Aww you're not going to romance Carth or Juhani? Well, the Bastila romance for a male character is better done anyway.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

zakharov posted:

Aww you're not going to romance Carth or Juhani? Well, the Bastila romance for a male character is better done anyway.
I tried!

Well, definitely not Carth, but I was planning on showing off Juhani's. Sadly, that didn't work because of the reasons I outlined in the update.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It always kind of bothers me when fiction is like 'No, if you kill the guy glorying in genocide and slavery, you'll be as bad as him'.

Especially when your PCs already have a body count in the hundreds and are partially defined by their cool laser swords and ability to wield them. At a certain point, it's just kinda weird; why the exception for this one guy? And if he's dying anyway, isn't it kinder to make it a quick and painless process instead of sitting there watching him bleed out while he spits venom?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

In this case, it's not really about being as bad as Xor if we kill him. We don't give a poo poo about Xor, we just don't want Juhani to strike the guy down in anger because we know how much she has struggled with the dark side already.

Getting a swift and painless death is also what Xor wants at that point. gently caress him, he doesn't deserve it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that's the logic see, is more to keep her from acting in pure anger, just again - it's part of the larger issue the canon has in how Jedi handles Slavery, or rather not handle it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Or just handle violence in general. They don't really seem to have a good grasp on how to teach violence; Jedi are expected to use it, but don't really get much training in how to handle using it besides 'don't be mad when you do it'.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

My game took the true non-violent path during that fight and bugged out. Xor gets taken out, goes non-violent, and... the conversation never triggers. He's just sitting there. I can't talk to him, Juhani just tells me how angry she is at Xor whenever I talk to her, and even leaving the planet and coming back doesn't do anything to fix it. Trapping people in a random hanger forever is the light-side way.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
6000 corpses in your wake, but it's evil to make an unrepentant slaver can't enslave or murder more people.

The light side really is just defending the status quo, huh?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

ikanreed posted:

6000 corpses in your wake, but it's evil to make an unrepentant slaver can't enslave or murder more people.

The light side really is just defending the status quo, huh?

I mean, he's still very dead.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, it's even weirder given that they have a combat first, and then, as he's already bleeding out, suddenly it's time to stay our hand and forgive. If the conclusion had been "Juhani snubs him completely and lets him stand there sputtering" that would've been silly, but at least consistent. The best would have been "he tries to get a rise out of Juhani, and she doesn't get mad, but kills him anyway because he's a loving murderer and she is now capable of being objective about that."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

zakharov posted:

I mean, he's still very dead.

Don't worry juhani, the evil man's death is scripted, you can keep your hands clean.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The whole "don't kill people purely out of anger" thing really trips people up huh. Despite it being reiterated over and over again in the movies and EU/Legends materials.

EDIT: Then again I suppose it raises a lot of questions about all the Alderaanians in the Rebellion after their planet is reduced to an asteroid field.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 7, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The true move is to cut their hand off.

That's one of those things I used to make jokes about then you think about it: You have an insanely dangerous laser sword that slices anything except the blade of another insanely dangerous laser sword. You're trying not to kill the other sword-wielder. What's the best place to go for? The hilt of their weapon/their hand. The world's full of prosthetics, you can fix a severed hand. It's one of those dumb things that actually ends up making sense when you think about it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Night10194 posted:

The true move is to cut their hand off.

You have an insanely dangerous laser sword that slices anything except the blade of another insanely dangerous laser sword.

And mandalorian steel and cortosis, and phrik, and apparently the armor Captain phasma wore but it never actually mattered?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

To be fair, a lot of things about Phasma didn't really matter.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
It's already been said, but really I think there's overthinking going on here. It's not that killing someone like Xor is inherently said to be bad, or that cutting off their hand would be better or worse, or anything like that. That whole question is actually really outside the narrative, which is about the discipline and emotional control required of the Jedi (Juhani in this case ). Motivation is placed above actions so it's not about being objectively righteous or evil on the surface, but about the self-control behind those activities.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, this is certainly a unique package. I like the riddle game, though it's too bad we can't win with the classic "what have I got in my pocket?"

I would laugh if the Hutt should open the box, and then the Builder escapes into his body. Oh well, not to be.

Jolee is fast becoming my favorite character. I hope to be like him when I get old.

Sith sandwiches have lots of power, betrayal, and mayonnaise. Don't ask me how I know.

I agree about killing genocidal a-holes. One story about a Nazi death camp that always made me smile was one about the Allied liberators turning the camp admins over to the prisoners. Not one lived long.

The book about Phasma's origins by Delilah Dawson was still good though. A character with such an interesting origin deserved a far better end.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

achtungnight posted:

I would laugh if the Hutt should open the box, and then the Builder escapes into his body. Oh well, not to be.

That would have made a great dark side ending for the quest, bait the crime Lord into freeing the criminal who offers knowledge of a rare lightsaber crystal

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it seems like such an obvious thing to do, especially considering the subtext that he’s going to use it for something nefarious, so it wouldn’t be some great loss to the galaxy if he fell victim to the prison. Granted, the Builder also mentions that he can only possess someone who is willing, and you were quite possibly the only person who’s ever going to enter it who can even understand him, so it’s unlikely that he would be able to swap places with the Hutt.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It turns out those with sandwiches are just ordinary BLTs. Really, really good BLTs. That with lord should stop wasting his time with this conquering the galaxy nonsense and start his own restaurant chain instead.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

honestly, I was expecting the box to be used as a trap for the Hutt, not the Hutt planning to use it for something bad.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Hey Doc M, are you going to post transcripts for the remaining Carth and Juhani dialogue that we accidentally got locked out of, like you did with HK47?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I wasn't planning on it. Those conversations were mostly supposed to take place before the Leviathan and I'm not sure where I'd put them now, and it'd be an absolutely ginormous wall of text regardless. If I wanted to show them off in-game at this point, I'd have to replay the entire game because all my saves are post-Leviathan. I meant to save in different slots literally every time, but as we saw a few updates ago the Xbox cloud storage didn't allow for that because presumably all those saves would crash Microsoft's servers. :shepicide: I guess I could try messing around with the save editor on PC, but there you run into problems with recording and the resolution scaling and all that bullshit.

I've never once had any issues activating any of those conversations before, but of course now that I was recording I somehow managed to miss a bunch of them. :negative: It's entirely my fault for forgetting that you get locked out of them after the Leviathan, but I talked to both Carth and Juhani at every opportunity I could so I'm not sure what I could've done differently aside from staring at a walkthrough at all times to make sure I trigger each conversation at the optimal point.

edit: I'm looking through these dialogue trees again and it appears the flag for Juhani's romance scene is actually pretty early on, and we've somehow completed all her conversations except that one and the one it presumably unlocks, as well as the optional one where she tells you about Revan freeing her and the other slaves on Taris (we got the other version of that, which triggers after the Leviathan). :eng99:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 8, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So... fighting a guy using our lightsabres til he dies is okay as long as we’re not angry?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

So... fighting a guy using our lightsabres til he dies is okay as long as we’re not angry?

Killing out of personal hatred, rather than protection/self-defense, is a path to the dark side, which Juhani's already had problems with.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Kinda, yeah.

The Jedi Council tends to view being a Jedi and having a lightsaber equivalent to knowing magical karate and wearing a black belt all the time. Some people are going to see that and immediately decide to gently caress with you. You didn't start this fight, you didn't ask for it, but it is coming. Now, in a rare display of common sense, the guidance of the council is not "Stand there and take it", but rather "Do your best to de-escalate", and "if that doesn't work, then defend yourself, to the death if necessary"

As long as you didn't start it, and if you stop after the immediate threat has stopped, you're in the clear. It is remarkably similar philosophy as real world self defense laws. Xor confronted and threatened your entire party, he would not back down with just talking, and after he was unable to continue fighting, you stopped hitting him with your lightsaber. Your hands are clean.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Of course they are, considering the lightsaber instantly cauterizes the wounds. :v:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
There’s also a Jedi version of the force continuum taught in most police academies around the world, I think. If somebody is threatening you or your friend, you can use the Force or a lightsaber to get them to stop, depending on the severity of the threat. In Episode 4, Luke is attacked by Sandpeople. Obi-Wan uses the Force to imitate a Krayt Dragon and scares them off. Later, two stormtroopers threaten them and Force Persuade solves matters. Still later, two criminals attack Luke in the cantina. Talking them down doesn’t work, so out comes the lightsaber.

Apparently (Episode 6), Force Choking enemy guards unconscious is also ok for a Light Side Jedi sneaking into an enemy base. Yes, I know he could have choked them dead, but the scene is unclear so I’m choosing to believe the lesser of two evils. Later Luke tells Jabba and all his minions to let his friends go or die with lethal results. This may be similar to police saying ‘stop or I’ll shoot.’ Clearly there wasn’t any other way to stop Jabba from killing them, so Jabba had to die. Later with the Ewoks, Luke’s party is again about to be killed, but Force magic without any dangerous components (as long as he didn’t drop Threepio!) was enough to make peace. Still later Luke battles a pair of Sith Lords and rather than attack immediately or kill them, he stays calm as he can throughout the encounter and ends up turning one of them back to the Light.

There are ways to get the Force Continuum wrong though. One could argue that Anakin in Episode 3 attacked and struck down Mace Windu to apparently protect a defenseless wounded old man (Palpatine). Under the Sith Lord’s influence after that he goes right to slaughtering all the “evil Jedi”, younglings included. :( Of course we all know he already had major anger issues.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

achtungnight posted:

There’s also a Jedi version of the force continuum taught in most police academies around the world, I think. If somebody is threatening you or your friend, you can use the Force or a lightsaber to get them to stop, depending on the severity of the threat. In Episode 4, Luke is attacked by Sandpeople. Obi-Wan uses the Force to imitate a Krayt Dragon and scares them off. Later, two stormtroopers threaten them and Force Persuade solves matters. Still later, two criminals attack Luke in the cantina. Talking them down doesn’t work, so out comes the lightsaber.

Apparently (Episode 6), Force Choking enemy guards unconscious is also ok for a Light Side Jedi sneaking into an enemy base. Yes, I know he could have choked them dead, but the scene is unclear so I’m choosing to believe the lesser of two evils. Later Luke tells Jabba and all his minions to let his friends go or die with lethal results. This may be similar to police saying ‘stop or I’ll shoot.’ Clearly there wasn’t any other way to stop Jabba from killing them, so Jabba had to die. Later with the Ewoks, Luke’s party is again about to be killed, but Force magic without any dangerous components (as long as he didn’t drop Threepio!) was enough to make peace. Still later Luke battles a pair of Sith Lords and rather than attack immediately or kill them, he stays calm as he can throughout the encounter and ends up turning one of them back to the Light.

There are ways to get the Force Continuum wrong though. One could argue that Anakin in Episode 3 attacked and struck down Mace Windu to apparently protect a defenseless wounded old man (Palpatine). Under the Sith Lord’s influence after that he goes right to slaughtering all the “evil Jedi”, younglings included. :( Of course we all know he already had major anger issues.

one of my favorite bits of nerds throwing together retroactive justifications for someone else's half-assed work is in one of the old Star Wars RPGs. eventually they came out with character sheets for the canon characters, because of course.

there is a mechanic in the game for force users called Dark Side Points. when you hit six dark side points, that's it, you hand your character sheet to the DM, you're an antagonist now.

at the conclusion of the events of jabba's palace, Luke Skywalker is sitting comfortably at 5, because the poo poo he got up to in there was not so much "flirting with the dark side" as it was "getting to third base with the dark side on the second date."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Just posting this to get the update on the next page