Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Also nice that the same quality of Sith engineering that gave the Death Star an easily fixable weak point has precedence in their water management. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

achtungnight posted:

Also nice that the same quality of Sith engineering that gave the Death Star an easily fixable weak point has precedence in their water management. :)

The Death Star core vent was a deliberately designed weakness, at least. These water locks were just sheer incompetence. :v:

To this day, I still wish you could at least just go “gently caress it”, and have some way to override the water locks so you could just let it leak out all over their base.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, if you want to destroy a Sith fortress by flooding it, some articles say the final mission of Jedi Fallen Order is exactly that. :) I went through the mission and you may not explore the entire base, so I disagree. But still...

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

megane posted:

Nice of the Sith to leave easily-identified bodies and unencrypted datapads with summaries of all their evil plans just lying around their base.

Not unencrypted, just encrypted by people who think the Fibonacci series is an obscure secret

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Only the bravest and brightest of our pupils can endure...
The dread towers of hanoi!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I just wanna say I love the selkath and their weird voice acting. I wish they were in a movie.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Keldulas posted:

It's nice to see that we're running around this sovereign government completely making GBS threads on it's authority.

Sometimes bureaucracy needs rescued from itself.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The first time I played I decided to be a virtuous Jedi and plead guilty. Up until the moment I got zapped and saw the game over screen, I assumed there'd be some kind of breakout mission.

Nope. Just a Game Over.

And it's not the only time the game kills you for being honest!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I assume there's a way out if you never meet the selkath kids?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Both claiming the Sith lured you and and claiming that you were there diplomatically or whatever have end states where you live. I'm actually not sure if you can flub the trial without admitting guilt. maybe I'll try that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I swear I remember having to redo this trial a few times, but I can’t remember what it was that I got hung up on.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Utgardaloki posted:

Both claiming the Sith lured you and and claiming that you were there diplomatically or whatever have end states where you live. I'm actually not sure if you can flub the trial without admitting guilt. maybe I'll try that.

If you let the lawyer rep you, you're toast.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyone got a link to a video?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
"I went there in behest of the republic who were spying on your people and needed to recover their spy data" should have been a legit dark side path.

All of manaan makes the republic look like a greedy lovely government using whataboutism as a cover for awful crimes, and I wish the story let you lean into that.

fragmites
Feb 18, 2013
My defence would have been:
a) The embassy is under Sith soveriegnty
b) I'm Dath Revan, leader of the Sith
c) As a Sith, I had a disagreement with my local underlings
d) As is perfectly acceptable by the law, norms and custom of the Sith, I used force to remove disent.
e) Any fighting in the embassy was purely Sith internal politics, and as such not an issue that involves the Salkath government.
f) Oh, and by the way, the Sith I asserted my authority over wanted to overthrow your government and I don't.
So letting me off is not only in your best interests, but also follows the rule of law.
And the defence rests.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

fragmites posted:

My defence would have been:
a) The embassy is under Sith soveriegnty
b) I'm Dath Revan, leader of the Sith
c) As a Sith, I had a disagreement with my local underlings
d) As is perfectly acceptable by the law, norms and custom of the Sith, I used force to remove disent.
e) Any fighting in the embassy was purely Sith internal politics, and as such not an issue that involves the Salkath government.
f) Oh, and by the way, the Sith I asserted my authority over wanted to overthrow your government and I don't.
So letting me off is not only in your best interests, but also follows the rule of law.
And the defence rests.

How do you prove you're Darth Revan? Every time you try that in the game the NPC's are literally 'LOL no you're not'

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Catzilla posted:

How do you prove you're Darth Revan? Every time you try that in the game the NPC's are literally 'LOL no you're not'

Also, even if you are Darth Revan, you've been deposed by Darth Malak, and so you are asserting authority that the local government is under no obligation to accept.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

TheDavies posted:

Also, even if you are Darth Revan, you've been deposed by Darth Malak, and so you are asserting authority that the local government is under no obligation to accept.

So you're a no name grunt attempting to mass murder their way to a promotion. That's still normal sith politicking. :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I should probably mention at this point that I've been really busy for the last few weeks so I haven't had time to update as often as I would like. Right now, I have an ongoing work project with a tight deadline (well, the deadline was pretty generous but I'm a lazy bum who keeps procrastinating) and that should keep me occupied until at least Wednesday evening, and it turns out I also have to sleep occasionally so there just aren't enough hours in a day to get everything done.

I do, however, already have a pretty good idea what I will do after this LP is complete (we have maybe eight updates left, give or take a couple, so it won't take long once I get back to regular updates). Remember when I had to leave Geralt in Vizima's Temple Quarter about two years ago because I was in a very, very bad place mentally? Well... suffice to say I'm doing quite a bit better now -- and I still have my footage, save files and original updates from that LP, and even the screenshots for the next update that I never got around to writing at the time. :getin:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
[throws a coin at his Witcher] I approve this plan. :)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Any chance you’ll follow this one up with a KOTOR 2 LP at any point? :unsmith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'll probably get to KotOR II at some point, but I don't want to do both games back to back so that'll be a little bit later.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc M posted:

I do, however, already have a pretty good idea what I will do after this LP is complete (we have maybe eight updates left, give or take a couple, so it won't take long once I get back to regular updates). Remember when I had to leave Geralt in Vizima's Temple Quarter about two years ago because I was in a very, very bad place mentally? Well... suffice to say I'm doing quite a bit better now -- and I still have my footage, save files and original updates from that LP, and even the screenshots for the next update that I never got around to writing at the time. :getin:
Yaaas.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 37: Deep Fear

Last time, we broke into the Sith base on Manaan and killed most people inside, which as you might expect got us in some trouble with the law. However, since we managed to find evidence of the Sith's nefarious plot against the Manaan government, we got off scot-free.

Since we didn't get executed, we can now head back to the Republic embassy with the data from the stolen probe droid. I'm really not a fan of the Burst of Speed motion blur here, and you can't even disable it on console.

drat right we have, Roland. Did you not hear about the Selkath hauling us downtown? Good thing they didn't confiscate any of our items, I guess.

Excellent! It does not appear to have been tampered with, so the Sith did not manage to copy its contents yet. And now for your information... We are not supposed to speak of this, but since you are a Jedi, and we have exhausted all the other options, I think I can entrust you with this.

Why is this Republic ambassador so reluctant to let a Jedi deal with sensitive Republic problems? Isn't that kind of, you know, our job? We don't even ask for payment or anything, so why are we the last resort?

We need much in the way of supplies and material to stem the tide of battle and bring us victory.

"Am I spouting pointless exposition again? Sorry, I tend to do that."

Again, bacta hasn't been discovered yet. Kolto is less potent, but for now it does the job.

But a few more far-sighted Selkath see that if the Sith are ever allowed to win, the galaxy will be plunged into darkness and there would be nothing to stop them from taking Manaan anyway. So we made a deal...

Of course they did. What could possibly go wrong with shady backroom deals with government officials on a planet such as Manaan, where the Republic's presence is already barely tolerated and even a minor scandal (say, a retired Republic war hero murdering a Sith) could spell disaster?

If you pick the middle option, I seem to recall Roland basically goes "AHHH NOT SO LOUD :gonk:"

We recently began construction of a secret underground facility to harvest kolto directly at its source. We also hope to one day be able to synthesize it effectively. Current techniques are insufficient for the task, so we must mine it for now. The amount we take would hardly be noticed, since most is lost naturally before it reaches the surface anyway. We were nearing completion of the base when the digging teams reported some sort of obstruction... an ancient building or artifact. Possibly your 'Star Map'. Transmissions from the base were cut off abruptly after that, and we haven't heard from the station since.

That does seem like they discovered some Builder ruins in the depths. Speaking of which, how did Revan and Malak find or rather access the Star Map five years ago, anyway?

As you may have noticed, we are hiring a lot of mercenaries around here. Ostensibly they're to be shipped off-world to aid in our fight against the Sith, but they are really for another purpose. When we lost contact with the station in the Hrakert Rift, we sent our contingent of Republic soldiers down to investigate. None returned... We have tried hiring mercenaries and sending them down as well, but none of those expeditions have returned either.

Well, at least we now know why the Republic is hiring so many mercenaries. We should go report to Nilko Bwaas at some point.

But now that we have the data back, our operation is in no danger of exposure to the Sith. And now I must live up to my end of the bargain.

That you do, Roland.

It has been programmed to take you down to the station, and also to take you back up should you need something. I would send soldiers to assist you, but we have lost many of ours, and nearly exhausted the mercenary population of this planet. The soldiers we have are barely enough to keep this base secure! The Sith have also noted our interest and begun to bribe mercenaries away from us...

Looks like we're going down, and we'll be doing it on our own as the Republic can't spare any backup. That's fine, they'd just get underfoot anyway. It's also kinda nice we won't be stuck down there in case we forgot to do something or need more resources.

Good luck in your efforts.

Before we board the sub, we'll make our way all the way back to Ahto West to turn in a couple of sidequests. We don't need to do it now, but might as well get everything done while we're up here.

First off, we've got the information Nilko Bwaas wants.

The Hrakert Rift? It is as I feared - though the Republic is fortunate I was the one assigned to investigate this case. Human, allow me to be blunt with you. If I report this violation to my superiors the Republic will be banned from Manaan - but I do not wish to do this. I see the Sith for what they truly are: ruthless and evil. The Republic has always respected our independence, but if they fall the Sith will be quick to send an invasion fleet to conquer Manaan.

I know the Republic is just doing what they think is best and it's also good not all Selkath officials are morons when it comes to the Sith, but this whole deal just seems like a really, really bad idea. What if someone in the Republic embassy is a spy who recorded our conversation with Roland and is now on the way to present his findings to the law or the Sith? Hell, what if someone is listening in right now?

The Republic really isn't covering itself in glory on Manaan. Technically speaking, they absolutely are stealing the kolto, even though Roland seemed to believe the amounts are so small no one will notice anything.

They can't. The Republic has recently lost contact with the science facility.

Of course, I should have realized. Doubtless they were hiring the mercenaries to investigate the situation. But I fear mercenaries alone may not be enough to save their station. There are ancient mysteries within the Hrakert Rift that even we Selkath do not comprehend. I fear the Republic has awakened something that was best left undisturbed.

Well, there's something we really needed to hear before plunging down into the depths of the ocean. :cthulhu:

I fear the mercenaries will not find the answers the Republic is looking for - they prefer blasters to brains. But you have shown yourself to be resourceful. Perhaps you can succeed where the others have failed. Investigate this facility, human - and I promise to keep my silence so that the vile Sith do not gain from the Republic's foolishness.

We shall be doing exactly that.

And now I must take my leave, human. My superiors are expecting a full report from me, and there is much I must do to ensure they cannot uncover the Republic's actions.

Sounds like Nilko has his work cut out for him. Next, we'll go tell Shaelas we found his daughter and she's safe and sound.

They're also planning to overthrow the government!

If Malak brainwashes our youth and indoctrinates them in the ways of the Sith he will have a strong following among the Selkath people - strong enough to seize control of Manaan and our kolto! My daughter, Shasa - she too has been indoctrined into the Sith camp?

Yeah, but we managed to convince her to get out.

Hopefully the testimony of my daughter will be enough proof of their actions, to make the Ahto City authorites take action.

I hope so.

We already have proof of their actions and handed it over to the judges, but I guess some more will help.

It's really more like "we have so much money we don't need his 500 credits", but that works too.

The drunken Sith in the background looks like he's about to throw up after witnessing our goody two-shoes bullshit.

That'll do it for the sidequests, now let's head back to the Republic embassy so we can board the sub and go investigate the kolto facility.

We'll take HK-47 along because he's got a couple of amusing lines in the next section.

Just gotta head through this door, which was previously inaccessible but can now be opened with our keycard.

And there's our sub.

Let's get in and find what sort of absolute horrors are going on down there in the facility.

Yes, we've established that, thank you.

Down we go.

And here we are. So far, we haven't been eaten by any giant sea monsters or anything, which is a somewhat promising start.

There's nothing at the submersible dock but some corpses and a couple of containers with boring loot, so let's head through the door in front of us.

Looks like there's still someone alive down here. Maybe he can tell us what's going on.

Who killed everyone?

I was one of the mercs the Republic sent down here to find out what happened. We came down and secured the first couple rooms... there were bodies everywhere... And the Selkath came out... screaming and croaking their fishy little war-cries.

Clearly, there's more to this. The Selkath wouldn't start killing people randomly, that's not what they do.

So we ran... But hardly any of us made it. I looked the door behind us, bu... but the others had already left in the submersible! The sharks... the firaxa out there and... worse... I heard an explosion shortly after the submersible left. They didn't make it. Just food for the sharks and the Selkath... like us.

All of this sounds horrible, but before we do anything else we should get this poor bastard back to the surface.

We didn't see anything, though.

:hmmyes:

Life would be so much easier if everyone was an HK-series assassin droid.

I'm still pretty sure we can just leave whenever we want.

Do... do the Selkath do that? Just... lay their eggs all over the place? I'm guessing that is not regular Selkath behavior and is just something these crazed ones might do. Do the crazed Selkath even do it or is it just something this guy thinks might happen? Regardless, we now know the important bits and bobs are in the southern part of the facility, but getting to it might be troublesome.

We'll handle this with our protagonist powers, no worries.

If you want to die, then go! You won't hear me mourning for you! I'll stay here and be safe until some sort of REAL rescue comes!

I'm not sure what he thinks this "real rescue" would be able to do, but we don't have time to think about that right now because we've got a job on our hands.

Most KotOR players hate this section, mostly because of one particular reason that'll become evident soon enough, but aside from that one thing (which, admittedly, is a big thing) I really quite like the Hrakert Rift part of the game. The premise is really solid. I mean, come on. We're exploring a deep sea research facility where something horrible has happened for unknown reasons, causing the scientists to go berserk and start tearing each other apart. This is a survival horror setup if I ever saw one.

The atmosphere is rather survival horror-esque as well, with the entire facility gone to poo poo.

We find a thermal detonator on one of the many dead bodies scattered around the facility. Thermal detonators are the best grenades we can find in the game and do decent damage, but personally I tend to sell them because Suvam gives you a lot of credits for them.

What is it the Republic found down here?

Ah, good, a security computer. Maybe we'll find some information on there, or at least be able to make our job a bit easier in some other way.

Jolee has the highest Computer Use skill of our current party, so the old man gets to operate the terminal.

Right, let's see what we've got.

There's a group of Selkath, and while it obviously doesn't come across from the screenshot we can tell from their erratic movements that something is very wrong with these guys.

There are several rooms full of the crazed Selkath in the facility, and we can vent gas into those rooms to take them out. That seems like kind of an evil thing to do, to be honest, but the fact is that these guys are basically mindless zombies and we'll have to put them down anyway. Sucks for them if there's a way to get them back to their senses.

We've also got some droids patrolling the hallways. We can corrupt their targeting, but that costs so many spikes at our current rank of Computer Use that we'll just dispose of them the old-fashioned way.

The security room has this scary-looking droid waiting for some poor sap to wander in.

Sure, let's deactivate his shields, that'll make things a little easier.

Except that picking that option doesn't actually disable the shields on the drat thing, so we just wasted six spikes. Wonderful.

We want to make our way to the airlocks in the south, but we'll also need an environmental suit to access the flooded part of the station, and preferably something we can use against the firaxan sharks out there.

Hi, droids. Bye, droids.

Here's our first encounter with the insane Selkath. They will try to claw at us, which can inflict poison.

Of course, the best way to handle these guys is to never let them anywhere near us.

We can repair that droid to give us some extra firepower, and we might as well do that since HK-47 has a pretty high Repair skill at this point.

That's a Dark Jedi model. Why is there a Dark Jedi model down here?

Why is there a Dark Jedi with a Jedi Master robe and a lightsaber crystal down here?

Blowing up multiple droids with a single wave of an arm is always satisfying.

I guess we'll just follow our droid buddy for the time being.

There's the sentry droid whose shields we deactivated, and as we can see its shields are currently very much active. When you spend computer spikes to disable the shields on droids such as this one, they normally stay disabled because why would you bother wasting spikes on it otherwise? This guy, however, just reactivates them as soon as it sees us. Another bug? Sure, I'll go with that.

We seem to be doing normal damage even though the droid's shields are up, so maybe the shields actually are down and it just looks like they're still active? Whatever, it's dead now.

Lead on, droid. To our right is one of the storage rooms we vented gas into earlier, so let's go check that out. Hopefully the gas has dispersed by now or this will be very embarrassing.

:negative:

What rear end in a top hat puts live mines in the storage room of their research facility? Don't worry, this is far from the last mine we'll run across down here. I'm probably not going to show us triggering any more mines, because you'll get the idea.

Anyway, this is what we came for. The sonic emitter is very, very important.

Scientist's Memo posted:

In response to those firaxan sharks outside I managed to whip up a little something in one of the workrooms. This is a sonic emitter which should scare them off. The sound seems to work a lot better underwater than through the air and if you fix it on the outside of an envirosuit, just push the button every time they get near and you'll have no problems.

So I was just wondering... when am I going to get that raise?

-- Caal Jordan

Sonic Emitter posted:

This device emits a powerful sonic pulse useful for scaring off or stunning various wildlife. It normally has an extremely limited range, but in an underwater environment the signal would travel quite a distance. It has proven quite lethal to several species of firaxan sharks.

Yes, "scare them off" actually means "loving kill them instantly" in this case. I don't think Caal here ever got that raise, unfortunately. We need the sonic emitter before we can exit through one of the airlocks, and now that we have that we'll just need to find the envirosuit.

Oh, hey. Speak of the devil. That's very much an envirosuit up ahead.

Hm. Lockers aren't generally known for whimpering.

You know, that is a very small locker. I don't think Zila would fit in there.

When the Selkath went insane and started killing everybody, I locked myself in here! I'm safe in here. Nothing can hurt me in here! No fishy food for me.

They're not very talkative, to be quite honest with you.

And so we learn that a "demon" drove the Selkath insane with its scream, at least if this guy is to be believed. What is this "demon" and why or how did it drive the Selkath berserk? It didn't seem like any of the humans were affected so strongly.

[Failure] No, no, no, no, no. That's what the others said. Mercenaries like you. But they're dead. The Selkath ate them! Lunchie-munchie! Only the ones left in the south part of the base might still be alive, where the kolto is. Few fishies there! But many, many fishy in between in the water!

If you don't come out, I'll just leave you in there.

You can't convince the guy in the locker to come out, so we'll just be on our way.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, buddy.

We'll take the envirosuit and head towards the airlocks.

If you missed the sonic emitter in the other storage room, you can find one here. Sadly, we can't dual-wield them.

Onwards. The door in front of us leads to one of the airlocks, but we'll check the hallway to the left before we proceed.

More droids. No big deal.

More insane Selkath. These can actually use weapons such as the sonic rifle seen here, so apparently whatever drove the Selkath insane didn't quite take all of their faculties.

We'll greet them by Force Waving at them... and then the game freezes on this exact frame. Wanna guess where the last save was? Yep, you are absolutely correct. My latest save was at the very start of Hrakert Rift, when we arrived at the station in our submersible. :shepface:

Just a second.

Okay, we're back. From this point on, I will be saving approximately every 30 seconds.

Before we proceed through the airlock, we'll check out this door to the east. Our security skill is too low for it and I can't be bothered to use any security spikes or change equipment, so we'll just bash our way through it. We actually end up spending quite a while here because our bashing efforts are really ineffective for some reason, but eventually we do get it open. There isn't actually anything interesting in that room anyway, so that was a waste of time.

Right. Now we can go through this airlock.

You don't say.

For some reason, this time we only get one envirosuit. On the Leviathan, one space suit was enough for the entire party, but here we just get the one. Probably because that makes things more annoying tense.

Welp, here we go.

You might have figured out what most people's main gripe about the Hrakert Station is as soon as the word "envirosuit" was mentioned.

Yeah. Just like with the space suit, you move like a granite slug through molasses with this thing on. On the Leviathan, that was okay because it was just a very short space walk, but here we're actually going to have to walk quite a distance to reach the south half of Hrakert Station. Also, that looks like a survivor up ahead, decked out in an identical getup to ours.

Oh, I'm a merc the Republic hired a couple days ago to investigate - but all we found was a bunch of insane Selkath killing everything that moves! All my companions are dead. The Selkath swarmed over us - there were dozens of them! And they...they looked wrong, somehow. Like something had changed inside them. Insane or something... Oh, I'd have gone back to the surface long ago if this complex hadn't been overrun by all those crazy Selkath! There's no way for me to get to the submarine docking bay.

What are you doing in the underwater section of the facility?

I discovered a way to get to the bay and seal off the rest of the base. I just have to find the kolto harvester they built on the edge of the Hrakert rift. It's got an emergency override to open the doors to the submarine docking bay and I could get in from the outside. I figured my only chance was to slap on an environment suit, head out onto the ocean floor and check that harvester out for myself.

Sounds like our way in. What are we waiting for?

Let's go.

I'm heading out to the ocean floor right now - it leads to another complex of buildings. Going through them is the only way to reach the kolto harvester. We should probably stick together, but I won't wait around in here with the Selkath. You can catch up with me if you want - down the hall and through the doors on the right. I'll be waiting on the ocean floor where it's safe.

We're not spending any more time in this scuba suit than we absolutely have to, so let's get a move on.

Coming! We can't exactly sprint in this stupid thing, you know.

Yes, yes, lead the way.

Great.

I think that's a good place to stop for today. Next time, we'll very slowly make our way to the south part of Hrakert Station.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Awwww, yeah, the biggest reason everyone hates Manaan at last.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, the voice acting on the dude in the locker is hilarious. Dude has obviously gone nuts, just not murderously nuts like the Selkath.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Speaking of voices, IIRC, the merc you meet underwater also has two different voice actors for your conversation with him, and when he gets killed by the shark.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Wouldn’t it be funny if the same sonic emitter that helps you here is also what caused this mess to begin with? I bet that’s where they’re going.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I get what you’re saying about the atmosphere here and I can see it but it’s utterly and completely sabotaged by the gameplay. It gets worse than just a slow moving enviro suit!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Wouldn’t it be funny if the same sonic emitter that helps you here is also what caused this mess to begin with? I bet that’s where they’re going.
I was thinking the same thing.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

Man this section is the reason everyone busts out the speed cheats on the PC. Will we get a video of just how terribly bad it is?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

TitanG posted:

Man this section is the reason everyone busts out the speed cheats on the PC. Will we get a video of just how terribly bad it is?
That'd be the most boring video in Youtube history, so... maybe. My plan was to just include a bunch of screenshots of slowly walking around.

The scuba suit section isn't even that long, you spend maybe five minutes at most in the suit but it somehow feels like 27 years.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
This is where the "infinite force powers in heavy armor" bug came in handy, and also how I first discovered it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Part 38: Deep Hurting

Last time, we arrived at the Hrakert Station kolto mining facility to discover just about everyone was dead, brutally killed by the insane Selkath creeping around the dark corridors of the facility. The one survivor from the initial attack was so traumatized we didn't get much useful information out of him, although he did mention the Selkath were driven berserk by "the demon" and its scream.

Right now, our objective is to access the south part of the facility, and that means we have to slowly walk on the ocean floor for several minutes. Joy of joys.

We also have some firaxan sharks to deal with along the way. These sharks can and will kill you in one hit if they get too close, just like we saw with that merc we met last time.

Thankfully we're not entirely defenseless, because the sonic emitter we found in one of the storage rooms can instantly kill a firaxa. It has infinite uses as well, so all you need to worry about is using the device at the right moment.

So, how's your day been?

Mine's been pretty alright, I guess.

Apparently, if you use Burst of Speed before getting into the envirosuit, the speed boost will remain active until you remove the suit. I did not do this, so we're going to take roughly forever to get anywhere. This section isn't even all that long, it's just a few minutes, but you move so slowly that it feels like the whole thing takes forever.

We can walk up that mound of dirt to reach the door up ahead.

Just watch out for the firaxa lurking around.

Okay, now we can get in there. Yes, I could have cut some of these bits out, but then you wouldn't get the full experience. To be honest, this is still very much the highlight reel.

Naturally, all we can find here is an item we already have several of, and a door that has been welded shut, so that was a complete loving waste of time.

Let's trudge back to the main path, then. I think we could also have gone right when we first reached the ocean floor proper, I definitely saw a path to the right but... well, gently caress that noise, quite frankly. It's not like the path's going to lead anywhere useful anyway even if you can explore it.

That door to the left is where we're actually going.

Lots of firaxan sharks around here.

Approximately five hours later, we finally reach the airlock door.

Ah, it's so good to get out of that horrible thing, temporary as it may be. There are some insane Selkath up ahead, so we at least know we're in an unexplored area now.

I didn't kill this one quickly enough, so he was able to get a couple of hits in and inflict poison. Heal removes the poison immediately, so it's no big deal. Really, poison pretty much ceases to be a threat as soon as you get past the rakghoul-infested parts of Taris. By the time you unlock Heal, poison is basically a non-issue.

Only one way forward.

Hey, we found some survivors. Hopefully they can tell us exactly what happened at the station.

I think we're fairly safe from firaxa in here even if they do get in. They're fish, so unless they suddenly become capable of breathing air and moving on land we shouldn't have much to worry about. Selkath might be more troublesome, I'll give him that.

In any event, these two decide the best course of action would be to kill us. And here we are, just trying to help them.

Ah, poo poo. This may be a problem.

Or not, because we can simply destroy the force field. We could also slice the computer in the corner, or just talk to these fine folks again and persuade (or Force persuade, if you have the skill for that) them to let us in.

Right. Clearly, we need to calm them down first because otherwise we'll get nowhere.

When the Selkath went crazy I thought everyone else except me and Sami went mad. We had a few people outside the station when it happened...

The... firaxan sharks just tore them apart... It was like they were frenzied...

The firaxa did act very aggressively towards us. If we didn't have the sonic emitter, we'd be screwed.

Sami and me... I... I thought we were the only ones left. We heard the Selkath outside at the doors every once in a while... and those strange noises echoing through the base.

I must have been hysterical, I... I don't know what I can say... I truly apologize for the horrible mistake I was making.

I am Kono Nolan, and this is Sami. We were scientists working here on the Hrakert Rift project.

Kono Nolan was the head scientist Roland mentioned before. Maybe we'll finally learn what's actually going on here.

The work teams were outside in the Rift near the vent. Then there was this rumbling and my head felt like it was splitting open...

This... this monster rose up from the Rift...

It was a firaxa shark I think... bigger than any I'd ever seen before. Bigger than our submersibles.

It was like it was screaming inside my head...

The screaming again, just like the guy in the locker described to us. Apparently, this demon of his was "just" a giant firaxan shark, which is certainly dangerous enough but considering we're deep in the ocean it could be something much, much worse.

Again, how exactly did Revan and Malak get to these ruins five years ago? It seems the Star Map wasn't unearthed until recently, and I don't know if this installation has even been there for five years.

And also why it is so large. It must be feeding off the kolto. It would have to be ancient indeed for it to reach that size. But with kolto as a food source...

And all those other firaxan sharks! Those might be its offspring!

It's all starting to come together.

We were working on a soluble chemical compound that would drive them away. Something that smelled or tasted repulsive to them, but we never got it working right.

What's this compound, exactly?

The repellant we made was supposed to drive firaxan sharks away, but we never got very far in its development. The one we tested instead was violently toxic to them, rupturing their outer skin in seconds and preventing them from drawing oxygen from the water by clogging their intakes.

Is that how the shark-repellent bat-spray worked in the '66 Batman film? :gonk:

But we don't know how else the chemical reacts! We only tried it in a controlled environment. In the open ocean, who knows what it could do... it could even affect the kolto.

We know exactly what it will do: it will kill the shark. That's what we designed it to do.

Kono really wants us to kill this giant shark, but maybe there's some other way to handle the situation withour releasing a chemical that does lord knows what to the ocean.

All you need to do is insert it into the main kolto harvester and have it vent it. Get away as soon as you can. We don't know how much worse it will affect the giant firaxan shark.

I don't know about that. Seems ill-advised.

I think if you could destroy the machinery we installed, the shark would calm down and retreat back into its lair inside the Rift.

The Hydrolium gas we use is a gas at 1 to 3 million sangen, a liquid at about 4 million sangen, and a solid above that. When it's a liquid it's VERY explosive. If you inject enough of the Hydrolium gas into the tank, the pressure will be so great that it will turn to liquid form and start a chain reaction inside the machine.

Sami's plan seems like the better option. The Republic will not be happy about losing the facility, but releasing poison into Manaan's ecosystem just seems like a monumentally terrible idea.

So, we will smash this machinery.

You'll have to break into the computer on the harvesting machine and fiddle with the fuel injectors to get the tank pressure up to the point where the Hydrolium will liquidize. Once the machinery is gone, the shark should leave.

What if it doesn't, though? What then?

You know what you have to do. I just hope you make the right choice.

We certainly know what to do, but I don't think Kono is going to like it very much.

There's nothing interesting in any of these other rooms.

So, back to the ocean floor we go. Wonderful.

That firaxa was a bit too close for comfort. The door we see up ahead just leads back to the other part of the facility, where we left Jolee and HK-47, and we'll use that to get out of here once we're finished with the harvester.

OH GOD

That was way, way too close. Fortunately, we don't have to aim directly at the firaxa to kill them with the sonic emitter.

There are the harvester controls so if we could just waddle our way over there sometime this century, that'd be great.

Any day now.

Ah, finally. You can't really see it in the screenshot, but the giant firaxa is right up ahead in the distance, blocking the way. I think it'll eat you if you get too close, but I've never tried because gently caress walking all the way over there in this useless suit just to maybe see a non-standard game over.

Can you see it? It's the brown blob in the distance.

Well, whatever. Let's mess around with the harvester controls. We could feed Kono's toxin into the machine right here, but obviously we're not going to be doing any such thing.

Get the hydrolium to 4 million sangen, simple enough.

The pod on the left is the fuel injector pod holds 3 million sangen, while the container pod on the right holds 5.

We can fill the pods, and when one is filled we can also transfer from one pod to the other.

We will mess around with the controls for a while. It's not too hard to figure out. Once we have 3 million sangen in the injector pod and 1 million sangen in the container, we're nearly done.

Now, just transfer from injector to container once more. Another way to do this is to get the injector pod to 2 million sangen and the container to 5 million, and then transfer from container to injector. In either case, you end up with 4 million sangen in the container pod.

The harvester does not like that one bit.

Not one bit.

With the machinery gone, the giant firaxa immediately becomes docile and helpfully gets out of the way.

As luck would have it, the path the big fish was blocking happens to lead directly to the Star Map.

Our final Star Map.

Since this is the last Star Map, it doesn't just close back up like the others did.

Instead, it shows us the hyperspace coordinates to the Star Forge.

Now all that is left to do is finish our business on Manaan, visit the Yavin station one last time, and punch in those Star Forge coordinates.

Well, all in due time, of course. I think we should go visit Sami and Kono again and see what they have to say about our decision to blow up the machinery. Somehow, I doubt Kono's going to be pleased...

Destroying the machinery was the right thing to do, for everyone. That creature... the giant firaxan shark, the guardian of the kolto or whatever it was, seems to have calmed down a lot. It may even be safe to go outside now. But we'll still stay here and wait for the Republic rescue crews. Thank you for not making a huge mistake.

At least Sami appreciates what we did and believes it was the right thing to do.

How could you willfully destroy the kolto harvesting machinery?! That will set us back years! I will have you know that when we get back to the surface I'll have the Republic do a full inquiry into your actions! Now go back to the surface and get the Republic to send a REAL rescue team down for us.

rear end in a top hat.

Okay, I swear this is the last time we see the scuba suit. Good riddance.

Now let's just make our way back to the surface. This hallway, by the way, is where you would meet Calo Nord or Darth Bandon on Manaan. I am not even going to begin to guess how in the blue hell Calo or Bandon would know that we're down here in this secret facility. I guess they could've spied on our conversations and we just never noticed because they're just that good?

Well, it doesn't matter since both are long dead in our playthrough anyway. Let's return to Ahto City and get off this planet as soon as we possibly can.

Oh, and break the news about the harvester to Roland, I guess.

A gigantic firaxan shark that drove all the Selkath insane.

That's... horrible. The entire operation wasted by a disaster we could never in a thousand years have foreseen. What has happened to the facility itself? Were there any survivors?

I think we should lead with the good news. Well, I'm not so sure if Kono's survival counts as such, because that guy is dangerously irresponsible and incompetent.

The harvesting machine was destroyed.

Can't dance around it any longer.

While I am glad that you were able to solve our problems, the cost may have ended up being much too high.

Yeah? You wanna talk about cost, or potentially losing the war because of us blowing up your harvester? You wanna know what happens in the alternate universe where some loving moron vents the toxin into the ocean like Kono Nolan suggested? Well, I'll tell you. The kolto in the ocean gets corrupted and turns black, losing all its restorative properties. There will be no more kolto production. Nothing. Zilch. That is it. You're hosed. The only way anyone will be able to obtain any kolto in this scenario is to buy whatever's still available on the black market at a huge premium. So, I don't want to hear a goddamn word about our decision to destroy the machinery costing the Republic the war.

Thankfully, Roland doesn't really give us a hard time... which is slightly odd, considering how he just said we might have cost the Republic the entire war.

As you can see, by helping us you helped yourself. Perhaps we can work together again in the future.

Why is he so friendly after telling us we might have hosed up the Republic's war effort?

Well, who cares. Let's return to the Ebon Hawk and get the hell out.

Now what?

This seems familiar...

I'll bet.

Anything else?

:sigh: Well, here we go again.

Let's get this over with.

As we're escorted to the courtroom once more, we find our old buddies, Judges Kota and Naleshekan in the middle of a conversation that is apparently not for our ears.

Right.

Sure, Duula.

Well, Jhosa, if you guys would shut up for once we might actually get the opportunity to explain the whole thing.

Yes, yes.

I am so entirely done with these guys.

So completely done.

No point in lying now. We'll just come clean about the whole situation.

We know of this.

What?!

It will be discussed later.

This cannot be kept silent! The Council will...

But we cannot...

I love how Naleshekan is just completely dumbfounded.

Again, we'll keep telling the truth.

But she said she killed it... didn't she?

What? No! Is anyone even listening?

No! We just said there was one down there!

Be quiet! That is merely a myth, and not fit for outsiders to hear!

But if it was the life-bringer... the ancestor of our species... Think of what this could mean!

If it always Iaired there... then perhaps the kolto...

So, uh, apparently the big shark was the progenitor of the Selkath themselves, and Kono almost had us kill it.

Indeed. This casts your actions in a new light, human. This, I believe, will require more thought... both on your actions, and on what we must do in response. This court will adjourn while we deliberate.

We thank you for the destruction of the machinery and saving the giant firaxan which, we believe, is the source of our kolto... or at least its guardian. We will not detain you any longer. While we cannot show our gratitude overtly, know that you have earned our respect. This trial is now over.

If you kill the Progenitor and corrupt the kolto, your dumb rear end is banned from Manaan forever. Even on a dark side playthrough you might want to consider destroying the machinery instead, especially if you haven't finished the Genoharadan assassination quests. Apparently there is an option to lie and blackmail your way out of the situation without getting banned, but I've never seen that.

Corrupting the kolto would be a bad idea anyway, because you'd gently caress over the Sith war effort in the process. Maybe not as badly as the Republic war effort, but regardless. The Sith will still need kolto when Darth Revan is back in charge, and destroying the only source of it in the galaxy just for the sake of :moreevil: would be beyond idiotic and completely out of character for Darth Revan. Sure, you don't actually KNOW the kolto will get hosed up if you kill the Progenitor, but you are warned several times that using the toxin is really not a good idea and there's a good chance the kolto might get affected.

In our case, it wouldn't really make any difference because we're never coming back to Manaan.

Next time, we'll have a couple more chats with our party members, do some more business with Suvam at the Yavin station, and... well, maybe find the Star Forge.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 1, 2020

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

the slow moving in the scuba suit lasts like five minutes, you big babies

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Here’s what I bet the Selkath didn’t want us to know- the giant Firaxan shark is the source of kolto in that it poops it out constantly. That’s right, this whole war effort is dependent on shark feces!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Also it's possible to vent the toxin and not get banned from the planet if you pick the right dialogue choices and blackmail the judges :hehe:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I stand corrected. That being said, venting the toxin is still dumb and counter-productive because why would you even risk losing the only reliable source of kolto in the galaxy?

If you're a dark side character, you're obviously planning to lead the Sith after Malak is disposed of. If you're going to lead the Sith, wouldn't you want your army to have easy access to kolto instead of having to buy it in limited amounts on the black market, for ten times the price? You're supposed to be evil, not stupid. Again, I know you're not aware of the actual consequences of the toxin beforehand, but you do get plenty of warning.

Besides, if you're a darksider, destroying the machinery will hurt the Republic as well while you don't suffer any consequences!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 1, 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There tend to be very few really intelligent dark-side characters - especially here, most dark-side choices tend to be impulsive, heat-of-the-moment short-sighted decisions that satisfy anger, bloodlust, or petty greed, often to the point of going out of your way to do so. Characters like Revan, Sidious, and other Dark-siders shown to be capable of great forethought and planning ahead seem to be the exceptions.

To a Light-sider, Darkside decisions tend to be evil for the sake of evil.
To a Dark-sider, Lightside decisions tend to be favoring practicality over indulging bloodlust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Doc M posted:

I stand corrected. That being said, venting the toxin is still dumb and counter-productive because why would you even risk losing the only reliable source of kolto in the galaxy?

If you're a dark side character, you're obviously planning to lead the Sith after Malak is disposed of. If you're going to lead the Sith, wouldn't you want your army to have easy access to kolto instead of having to buy it in limited amounts on the black market, for ten times the price? You're supposed to be evil, not stupid. Again, I know you're not aware of the actual consequences of the toxin beforehand, but you do get plenty of warning.

Besides, if you're a darksider, destroying the machinery will hurt the Republic as well while you don't suffer any consequences!

The game punishes you even more - if you vent the toxin, even if you don't get banned, prices of medpacs go way up.