Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Worth pointing out that the Saga Star Wars RPG used the D20 Modern rules rather than the 3.5 ones. I know the former has at least some differences to the latter but I can't remember all that many outside of the different health system.
Even if KOTOR then throws most of that out the airlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Agreed on the Dark Side choices for most of this game being one of the things that aged the worst about it. As it turns out, being a dick for the sake of being a dick makes for a not particularly compelling character.

The same can be said for the path of the closed fist in Jade Empire.
Or the ones in Neverwinter Nights for that part.

I feel there is a running theme here. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Which we did get in KOTOR2 somewhat and then that got declared non-canon because it was too much shades of grey where it was always going to be black and white. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think the PC version has some objections with modern hardware and the resolution options are very non-widescreen compliant.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

I’m guessing you’re referring to Atton in KOTOR 2 and Alistair in DA1, but are there any more examples?

Kaiden in ME1 is probably the best example. Or Jacob in 2.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 27, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

While they’re all characters that appear in the tutorial part of their respective games, I didn’t want to spoil the fun of finding out which party members are poorly written and uninteresting. :v:

Surprise, they're all kinda poorly written with varying levels of uninteresting. :cheeky:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Is a Carth code for generic duty bound white soldier dude.

In Bioware parlance, yes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The IP rights shouldn't be too much of an issue since the SW game franchise is in the hands of EA and Bioware is part of them after all. Not to mention The Old Republic is a Bioware game as well.
I mean it could just be so that the suits don't see much point in remaking it or the code could very well be an absolute clusterfuck or lost. Hard to say in this situation.

I mean KOTOR 2 we can forget entirely since the game was more or less retconned out of existence later on in both books and other games.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Possibly although I think TOR got the same label slapped on it as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm still pissed about the fact they just axed the ability to get the ME1 DLC when they decided to redesign the Bioware community page. I remember dealing with EA support and hoo boy was that unfun and pointless.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I remember them bragging hard about inventing a new language for Jade Empire and speaking to experts about it and so on.
But in the end it was just the same lines repeated over and over regardless of what was being said. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although I feel that the Song of Liu Lang is a better example of that than Blizzard actually making a jokey reference. (And a pretty decent one too.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjZeQaGesVw
I know I've read somewhere it's not actual chinese that's being sung but I could be wrong there.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The second image after the first rakghoul sewer fight is from the intergalactic skank conversation.
Also [4149] at the Rancor conversation.

Whoops, update on previous page.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gadon's first line when you return with the accelerator is repeated twice for some reason.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Another Bioware staple I feel, pretty sure they pulled the same on you in Dragon Age Origins.

On a side note, back when I played in a Star Wars RPG campaign set in the Old Republic (or I suppose High Republic as its now called), our ship was the same class of ship as the Ebon Hawk.
Mostly because it's also the ship for the smuggler class in The Old Republic MMO. Just about the only iconic old era ship maybe outside the Hammerhead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Cathar one whose name I've honestly forgotten.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

This next part is where I stopped playing the game because it made my PC chug like crazy back in the day.
It's also the only part I really remember of the game as well for some reason. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jedi's are pretty much the power fantasy of the setting. Which is also why you see them used as the player character in the majority of the Star Wars games, outside of the relative freedom they have as well compared to others.
At the same time it's kinda fun to see how much the setting spends to knock on them constantly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You're missing 12107.jpg by the way. its replaced with 12017.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I mean I can't fault you for missing a single misplaced digit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That is some quality Bioware writing going on with Juhani's backstory. I'm amazed NO ONE went "Wait hold on here" during the development process. Because that is some really terrible motivation to have you do stuff that just gets worse the more you learn and think about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm getting massive Mass Effect flashbacks to the NPC placing within the Ebon Hawk.
Also that whole Juhani conversation feels really Bioware, I can't say why but it just does.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh boy, Proto-Wrex has finally appeared. It's kinda telling people loved the gimmick of his speech pattern that they reused it for Elcor in Mass Effect. Although to a lot better effect because they weren't huge assholes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ItsDisposable posted:

I've never really thought HK and Wrex have much in common? If anyone's a Proto-Wrex here it's Canderous, the Proud Warrior Race Guy aimlessly mercing around after his culture got owned because he doesn't know what else to do.

Yeah I can give you that, I was just a bit at a loss of coming up who the "Boy I sure do love killing" archetype for ME1 since Jack isn't in it until the second game. Although Wrex feels far more interesting than HK.

Also Kaidan is Carth, they have the same voice actor and everything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You joke but the current rumor going around is that there might be a KOTOR remake on the way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well we don't know yet if Zila suddenly has a massive craving for Flan while wearing the goggles.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Considering Bioware is working on DA4, a new Mass Effect game and Anthem I don't think they'll be working on the KOTOR remake if it is happening.
Also I feel that only the first game will get remade while they just sorta want to forget the second one actually happened.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Huh, and here I thought ME was basically dead in the water after how badly Andromeda went down.

Yeah I don't think anyone really expected a new one but I think they sort of announced that they were working on a new title last year.
Granted after how Anthem performed and has performed who knows if Bioware will last that long to see that project finished.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xarn posted:

If they only touch up the engines, it has a good chance of being okay. If they try to ""improve"" the games, RIP KotOR2.

KOTOR2 is already dead I believe in the eyes of Bioware (and by some extension Lucasarts too) based on how it got treated in TOR.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yes, Vector Prime, the book where they introduced the Vong and was written by RA Salvatore was the one where Chewbacca got killed by the Vong dropping a moon on the planet he were on.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Shame the said can't be said for other characters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

EggsAisle posted:

The other was called The Crystal Star and I remember almost nothing about it except for Luke Skywalker uploading the soul of his love interest into a giant crystal computer, which was apparently cool and good.

I think you got the details of the Crystal Star a bit wrong at least based on me listening to a podcast readthrough of it.
Also you forgot about WARU. And how could you do that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Welcome to the Jedi rave. Oontz oontz oontz.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Vanilla NWN campaign is awful and the first two expansions ones aren't that great either. The one people usually like is Hordes of the Underdark.
Funny enough the same goes for NWN2 where the vanilla campaign is trash whilst the expansion ones are vast improvements.

Also I had totally missed the story mode difficulty for BGEE. Shame I still find the game an absolutely clunky mess and not a fan of AD&D 2nd rules.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Nwn2's main campaign is at or above typical for bioware. The plot goes somewhere, most of the areas have a legitimate sense of place. The writing flows naturally. It even managed to be clever sometimes.

I wouldn't list it as a favorite game of all time. And it has its share of problems(that loving door), but comparing it against the absolute trash that is nwn1 is just totally unfair.

I can give NWN2 that it has some good companions but only the first couple of ones as the rest were sorta dire. Also the obligatory romance options were kinda awful too. From what I remember of an old LP of the main campaign it also has some weird plot decisions towards the end but I can't remember what exactly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

It ends with "rocks fall, everyone dies."
literally.

No joke, that's actually what they wrote

Ah yeah, that I remember from the LP. Good lord was that dumb.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

To be fair, a lot of things about Phasma didn't really matter.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of typos, it's shelter not shaker. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The furthest I got into NWN was right after Aribeth goes "I betray you now" and you had to go back to Neverwinter. Then I just lost all urge to play it and gave up.
I know I tried the first expansion campaign too but found that incredibly lacking too and dropped out during the puzzle dungeon. Probably because I realized my character wasn't classed for dealing with it or something. Can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

"Get the one in the dress!"
"It's a robe!"

Not sure if I would call the writing rough or just average Bioware because it comes off as really subpar at places.
Although I'm torn I want it remade by Bioware as it is now or not.