Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You should make a new character with the last name Ulgo so that we can really feel the loss from the death of a deep character we've grown connected to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Kotor save editor is super cool, and works on both games. Dunno how hard it is to port saves to and from the xbox version to make it work.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, it's not just that you need a skill monkey and it might as well be the PC, it's that almost all of the important skill checks can only be done by the PC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Out of curiosity are you planning to do the bug associated with the end of the dueling quest line?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MightyPretenders posted:

-Implying dealing with past tragedy isn't a good enough arc in itself.

Yeah, lots of people say they hate Carth, but nothing on that list is a reason to. The one other big reason I've heard that hasn't been mentioned here yet just makes the people making it look like assholes.

Carth himself is one of the better-done examples of the archetype in any case.

The big thing Carth does to make people hate him is force himself into your party and then if you don't dump him immediately back out and do what the game wants you to he'll literally shut you out of dark side route stuff if you want to go that route. Of course that route is a lot more "meh" than kid me thought it was, but I can see that leaving people a little bitter. Second game did much better in that regard because Atton likes and agrees with the pc whatever they do.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kotor 2 on phone would be nice. Or kotor 1 with a lot of the back end stuff from 2 like 2 weapon sets, bash breaking stuff so that security has a purpose and all those classes and races I can save edit into a goofy moded character.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

So like I said, the game would really like you to gently caress Carth. A trend that continues with all subsequent Carths.

Reminds me of a comic I read once making fun of how picking the options that treat the other person as a human being puts you on the "romance" track.

Or in Carth's case, just breathing in his general vicinity. I never tried a run where I shot him down and boy does whoever wrote that not understand "no means no"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Something I can’t stop thinking about- I’ve never actually played this game- can you shoot the racist preacher a-hole, and does this give dark side points? What about encouraging him?

Nope. He's literally just a fun bit of flavor to mess with.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

In case anyone is wondering why cart has a reputation for constantly interrupting you looking like he wants to talk, here's why.

The way companion dialogue works is that every time you level up you unlock the next tier of dialogue with your party members. Carth recruits himself right at the start when levels are everywhere and he's your ONLY party member for hours, so theres nothing to break up the deluge of new conversations with him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I use a save editor to hack the prestige classes away because I ain't no wuss that needs these fancy classes to save the galaxy like you kids these days. Back in my day we walked to coruscant. Uphill both ways. In a meteor storm.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tiggum posted:

So there are endlessly spawning enemies and you get XP for killing them - can you just hang around and level yourself up to infinity here?

The enemies are finite even if they seem they aren't, theres level scaling, and you ram the level cap before end game anyways so that's not really a thing.

Plus if it were, with how companion dialogue advances on player level up, it would probably lock you out of side missions to do that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Xander77 posted:

The thing about taking a massive poo poo on the repeated ad-naseum tropes of the original, is that some people took great offense, as they happily consumed the same regurgitated story over and over.

I never understood how this was a big thing either way. It's not exactly a sign of a great work, but it's not the sign of a terrible one either. Crichton wrote the same story over a dozen times, but I still enjoyed all its different incarnations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It also stays stuck on the rails for twice as long as this one. And this one doesn't exactly let you off them early.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If I remember right, fighting the rancor is pretty easy. You just ran past it, killed the vulkars and then shot it from the hallway because it didnt fit inside. Took forever though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Can you actually kill Carth if you go Dark Side or is this one of those annoying RPGs where your party members can never die no matter how hard you wish it? Every character in Final Fantasy games that's annoyed me has been like that, except Aeris, who I guess is the exception that proves the rule.

We can find and point the way to the Promised Land for people, but we can't see it ourselves. It's tradition!

This is a good point. You never hear about untouchables rising up in India or similar events. Even in America slave revolts never accomplished much. No, we had to have a whole Civil War to get that awful mess out of our society and we're still dealing with the damage even today.

E:there was a spoiler here. Now there isnt.

You do hear about them, just not as much. The Indian mutiny was a big deal for instance.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 8, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

TitanG posted:

At least they get time to develop character (hurr hurr)
I mean the alternative is one of the party members that can get picked up literally an hour away from endgame and then never used at all because why lol.

Honestly one is extremely memorable if mega one-note, one is usually stuck in a broom closet and forgotten and the last one is probably the most interesting of the three but gets picked up so late I'd bet most players never really bothered as iirc he's not mandatory for any stretch.

The only optional character is the one everyone loves. The most interesting of the three is required to progress about midway through his section after the game opens up. So you can bump into him pretty fast depending on where you explored first.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doc M posted:

Speaking of that extra content, the Yavin station DLC was actually patched in to the Xbone release a few months ago, so we will in fact be seeing that in the LP!

Hooray! The heavy weapons skill makes guns usable a fun game of Russian roulette! And we can break the economy soon!

Regalingualius posted:

JJ was a blaster Jedi. IIRC, the build’s capstone was dual-wielding a particular pair of pistols that already had a higher than average crit range, and were then further modded to meet the crit cap (somewhere around 75%, I think?), and then just used whatever the equivalent to Flurry for ranged weapons is called.

You forgot the bit where this weapon also just ignores shields because gently caress em.

MagusofStars posted:

There's a corrupted source of darkness turning wildlife into murderous hounds outside your drat front door which is probably bad for security, but nope, let's just wait on that.

To be fair, they seem to know exactly what is going on with this one, they dont mention how long it's been happening(could have started yesterday), and seems easy enough to deal with that it can be assigned as part of the entrance exam.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

lightrook posted:

What exactly is the difference between rifles and repeaters, besides requiring separate weapon proficiency and having marginally different baseline stats? I never really used blasters much in either KOTOR, on account of them not getting any damage scaling from ability scores in this game.

Heavy weapons get an extra attack two blade style and is also the only gun category containing ones with an attack stat worth a drat past taris. If you have yavin. Otherwise, like all guns, they are terrible and do a static max damage of around 12 while a lightsaber cleaves dudes for 40.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

It is pretty close until you read the fine print and see the loophole. You see, the Jedi are specifically against forming emotional attachments with other people/aliens/robots/whatever. But, SEX =! LOVE, so as long as you don't care about the other person, go for it.

Also, to give you an idea of how stupid the Jedi are, look at Episode 1. What was the prophecy for Anakin? That he would bring "balance" to the force. Well, what do we have at the time of that movie, three sith (Maul, Dooku and Palpatine)? And how many Jedi? Maybe a hundred? Well, by the end of those movies you're down to 2 and 2, so I guess the prophecy was correct and balance was achieved. Well done, morons.

Hell, anakin is so into that prophecy he does it like 3 times. He also kills obi wan turning 3:2 into 2:2 and then after he chucks the emperor down the shaft theres a couple of minutes where it goes from 1:2 to 1:1.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doc M posted:

Yeah, that is certainly a thing you can do. It just seems awfully, awfully petty and I don't really see any reason why a dark Jedi would even bother to do such a thing since it's not like that benefits them in any way. I guess they get to laugh at the misery of the peasants like the sociopath they are, but can you imagine any of the established darksiders in the movies doing that for literally no reason whatsoever aside from maybe ":downs: THE COUNCIL SUCKS AND THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF THEIR ERRANDS, NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD"?

edit: I gotta say, I knew the dark side path was poorly written and that there were problems with the writing in general, but I genuinely did not remember how bad some of this stuff was. I guess when you're just playing through the game and skipping through the dialogue a lot because you've seen it a million times, you don't really pay attention, but then you do an LP and have to actually listen to everything and edit the updates together and realize how idiotic it often gets.

To be fair, that is absolutely something kylo ren and anakin would do.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Night10194 posted:

To be honest, 'The Jedi order as an institution is insanely hosed up and kind of awful' has been an (accidental) staple of Star Wars ever since they moved beyond the Original Trilogy. KOTOR 1 and the prequels are basically a long series of 'no wonder these fuckers eventually screwed everything up and got annihilated'.

Hmmm... this army of VERY convenient soldiers was discovered by tailing an assassin and placed by a dead man on a planet hidden from us because someone deleted all mentions of it from our massive archive.

Oh well, let's use it and drop all suspicions after making this call!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SoundwaveAU posted:

I think the dark side option for the family feud is amazing because it's so ridiculous and over-the-top. All the dark side options in this game are basically "I did it for the lulz" type stuff but this is the pinnacle, and it just loops back around to being absolutely hilarious.

If memory serves some of the dialogue on that path is just a very fed up, "you know what? gently caress it. Kill yourselves." And really, by that point in the quest, who doesn't feel that way?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

On the subject of the PC should really be supervised a bit more:

"Hello, you two basic initiates. We sent an experienced guy to check out these old ruins that might have lead the current sith lords to the dark side. The old guy didnt return. So we figured we'd send you two newbies, completely unsupervised, to this extremely dangerous looking potential source of dark side. What? No a master can't tag along this super dangerous and important misson because we are all sadly busy gazing up our own assholes."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Another important part of suvi tan. His inventory restocks every time it updates. So the really powerful, one of a kind stuff he sells? You can grab some copies for your friends.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

A young child who was captured by Mandalorians, who only speaks Mandalorian, huh? If only we knew someone more familiar with this kind of situation, someone, I don't know, connected with the Mandalorians somehow, could have made the conversation a lot easier.

Oh well.

Yeah, I always found this quest just ignoring canderous hilarious

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doc M posted:

Make up your mind, Carth! :argh: Last time we gave someone 200 credits, he just whined!

Well yes, but our financials are no longer those of marooned soldiers in hostile occupied territory. As you noted this update we can sell those racing bonds for 156 credits apiece.
We have 120 racing bonds.
Or in other words we just made 18,720 credits in about 5 minutes.
200 credits is peasant money to us now.

This is absolutely what I was talking about when I mentioned yavin letting you break the games economy over your knee.

Edit: also, while everyone remembers hk being a fun character, holy hell is he a bad one. He starts with 16 strength and 14 dex. Awesome for going melee.
Except he can't wield melee.

In fact that 16 strength is entirely useless to him. He literally cant apply it for anything.

All he can do is be mediocre with blasters and his 14 dex.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 18, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

This is getting off-topic, but PWR as a real-life concept is 100% racist bullshit invented to justify a lot of capital-E Evil colonialist policies, and people in a lot of places are still suffering from the after effects of it to this day.

It often gets a free pass in fictional settings (I guess because stereotypical monocultures are still the norm for some reason?), but that doesn’t mean it’s a concept with some really unpleasant real-world baggage.

Eh, the only real ways it doesn't map to real life are tying it to race and the bit where the concept that it's the entirety of the groups culture. The US would be my pick for an example of a real world proud warrior race and it's hardly unified in that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Is there another boss fight on each planet? Seems like the only established bad guys besides Calo Nord are Malak and his Admiral, and I don't see us coming up against either of them yet.

We didnt see calo coming back until right before this planet either. Just saying.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, the storyteller provides some pretty interesting lore, but as the sole reward for a unique lightsaber mod that at this point is pretty drat good is... not a great trade. Especially since if you're seeing this you're probably light side route and thus only have 1 pearl period. Saving, seeing it, and then reloading is such an optimal thing I'm not even sure why they didn't change the test to just be showing the chief the pearl, rather than giving it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

So Persuade and Repair are the skills you can't outsource, then? Persuade because you do all the talking and only you can have it anyway, and Repair so you can get all the content from HK-47?

There's a reasonable argument for computer use too, but further commentary would be spoilers.

wedgekree posted:

HK is best omnicidal droid.

Yes, he might be in the lower tier of effectiveness of companions, but he makes up for it in sheer charisma.

Of the companions in KOTOR 1, he's my second favorite.

For all the flak I gave him, I wouldn't go that far.

Repairing him does take him from a complete joke to solidly serviceable. He'll never be a jedi, and 16 points of useless strength will always be funny, but he does get his dex boosted to solid and a few other perks from the complete chain.

Seriously though, I'd love to know if that strength stat was a joke or something that got cut because it's so :psyduck:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DrakePegasus posted:

Story characters are statted based on their in-universe abilities, not strictly their core gameplay use. T3 lines up perfectly with what he has to do for the plot. Unfortunately HK can’t chokeslam a Gamorrean due to engine limitations.

Except that story wise hk is an expert marksman and doesn't fisticuffs anyone. His stat line is the opposite of what you're arguing.

And if you really want to see that, I guess you could disarm him and watch his goofy punch animation.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

I feel like making the Wookie selling out his own people being the only one with entirely black fur is perhaps a bit too on the nose, even for Star Wars.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Karia posted:

I think the implication here is that Kashyyk is also artifically formed. I really don't remember if this theme ever gets brought up again in KOTOR, but it would be interesting if the Builders had artificially shaped all of the planets you visit in one way or another.

Without going into spoilers, yes. Remember, of what we've seen there is tatooine where we found out they strip mined the planet to death and dantooine, where they were working on a project so big that the overseer they left behind attempted to speak selkath at us almost immediately. You know, the language of this fish people halfway across the galaxy.

It's not as blunt as following revan/malak's journey, but we are definitely following the legacy of the builders and finding out how much of modern space they shaped.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doc M posted:

That's true, especially for big CRPGs like this, but it's more evident from some games than it is from others.

When it comes to KotOR, the sequel is of course the one that has the reputation for being buggy and unfinished (because it is), but the first game is also surprisingly rough around the edges considering it doesn't really have a reputation for that kind of thing outside the hardcore fans (unlike, say, Fallout 2, New Vegas and KotOR II) and contains some horrendous bugs and glitches especially on Xbox.

Boy does it. I love how the bug with (I think it's with) Juhani's personal quest never got patched out. For the record, the bug is that triggering the spaceport conversation for it stops any of the other side missions from being able to find their conversations.

So if you found Juhani's before mission's you'd never bump into lena and find griff. Or bastilla would never get pointed at her mother.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Destiny :ocelot:

Jolee is the best and I love that little bit of blue on his stat screen showing that hes not as grey as he thinks he is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EggsAisle posted:

Darth Bane? Not even gonna make the token effort, huh? Just roll with the name that sounds like an edgelord self-insert from some garbage fanfic...? Sure, why not. I give credit to Bioware's writers here- Darth Malak, Darth Revan, Darth Bandon, those are all perfectly serviceable and respectable Sith names. They are exactly as (un)subtle as they ought to be, no more and no less.

Darth Bane posted:

“Ah you think the dark side is your ally? You merely adopted the dark side. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light side until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but blinding!”

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

I can give NWN2 that it has some good companions but only the first couple of ones as the rest were sorta dire. Also the obligatory romance options were kinda awful too. From what I remember of an old LP of the main campaign it also has some weird plot decisions towards the end but I can't remember what exactly.

It ends with "rocks fall, everyone dies."
literally.

No joke, that's actually what they wrote

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Gnome de plume posted:

Mass Effect has the best version of the Hanoi Tower puzzle because you can just use a bunch of omnigel to skip it

And if you don't finish Dustil's sidequest before coming back from the star map he becomes hostile along with the rest of the academy. So uh yeah, don't ever forget to do that!

Speaking of dustil:

A son with good opinions on his dad: "I'm going to stay here and be a double agent so I can rescue my friends from these evil jerks!"

Best dad ever: "sorry son, what was that? We just finished murdering everyone else here."

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Malak is kind of an idiot

Hes a stereotypical yes-man toady to the bad guy, except he someone managed to steal command. And now hes using his giant evil armada and telling himself how good he is at this.

Except he's still an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

TitanG posted:

Honestly there would be a lot more plot logic if they sent Jolee with you to start with and you found Juhani in the Shadowlands (or Korriban tbh). Jolee has his own quirks, but he's an experienced war veteran Knight still dedicated to the Republic, plus he's morally flexible enough to just stab you in the back if you went too dark side.

Don't forget Malak only managed to backstab Revan because he got distracted by a Jedi assassin squad...

Yeah, but the thing is that jolee has been dropping hints about his relationship with the jedi(they don't get along to the point where he talks about them as a group he isnt part of) even if he hasn't spelled it out too much as to why it got that way.