Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

Questions abound.

Wife (yup, I know) gets credit for spotting this this morning. We could not, in our caffeine deprived states, ascertain the endgame of the person who put this up. Insulin scam?

Your best guesses/lies are greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

The scam is the U.S. healthcare system

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Yoshi Wins posted:

It’s this op

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

To answer your question, OP, people who get free test strips as part of Medicare or private insurance resell them to uninsured people for less than retail cost. It's not a scam as much as it is a super depressing black market that people are forced into by either desperation or poverty.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Death to America

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yoshi Wins posted:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Yoshi Wins posted:

President Sanders will elevate our nation from this dark slough.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
What's to understand? Are you gonna pay to watch the diabetic stripper auditions or not?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
not a scam but a grey market!

To the goon who pegged it as “American healthcare is anything but” kindly see deception for your prize.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
This poor desperate man thanks you for the prank phone calls

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

To answer your question, OP, people who get free test strips as part of Medicare or private insurance resell them to uninsured people for less than retail cost. It's not a scam as much as it is a super depressing black market that people are forced into by either desperation or poverty.

the people who get the free strips are the ones in desperation or poverty there genius

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Discernibly Turgid posted:

Questions abound.

Wife (yup, I know) gets credit for spotting this this morning. We could not, in our caffeine deprived states, ascertain the endgame of the person who put this up. Insulin scam?

Your best guesses/lies are greatly appreciated!

If they are not expired, diabetic test strips fast on eBay and Amazon. Fast enough people are out there just trying to buy these wherever they can, like earning a full time income from flipping test strips. Hope that helps!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Next op will wonder why people sell food stamps

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

I’d been looking at it like a cousin of the clean piss scams and was coming up empty. Maybe it’s the writing that looks like it’s been done by the exact same guy that does the “We buy houses for ca$h,” and, “real estate investor seeks apprentice $5k-$10k” (the president doesn’t pay anyone adequately for dealing with his bullshit) signs.

As someone who grew up on food stamps (but whose family needed the food too badly to take the value reduction hit from converting them to cash), I get a lot of this stuff.

As an adult who only just recently came to realize he’s been battling (HARD) with adhd his whole life (and now needs to try medication) I have seen how immutably terrible this system remains.

I couldn’t get my wisdom teeth removed until my mid-20s when I was studying in Germany. Socialized medicine kicks rear end.

Thanks, All, for helping solve the riddle. If I could use photoshop, I’d like to make a series of edits of that sign in which increasingly ludicrous items are sought after by the sign maker.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

I want to joke also about people who can’t afford a medical necessity to live.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
E: ^ :argh:

Thanks, All, for helping solve the riddle. If I could use photoshop, I’d like to make a series of edits of that sign in which increasingly ludicrous items are sought after by the sign maker.

In any other country strips are basically free or super cheap. But in America people are so desperate for strips to monitor their possibly life threatening medical condition that they're willing to buy poo poo on the street.

I'm struggling to think of anything more ludicrous than that. Elephants? Children's teeth maybe?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Yoshi Wins posted:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The scam is American Healthcare op

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I’d been looking at it like a cousin of the clean piss scams and was coming up empty. Maybe it’s the writing that looks like it’s been done by the exact same guy that does the “We buy houses for ca$h,” and, “real estate investor seeks apprentice $5k-$10k” (the president doesn’t pay anyone adequately for dealing with his bullshit) signs.

As someone who grew up on food stamps (but whose family needed the food too badly to take the value reduction hit from converting them to cash), I get a lot of this stuff.

As an adult who only just recently came to realize he’s been battling (HARD) with adhd his whole life (and now needs to try medication) I have seen how immutably terrible this system remains.

I couldn’t get my wisdom teeth removed until my mid-20s when I was studying in Germany. Socialized medicine kicks rear end.

It’s really quite sad,op. And a mean base of a photoshop thread

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Then the writing on the sign strongly suggests this is NOT an endeavor undertaken by an end user (about whom I would not laugh.) Seeing as someone found this to be their hustle, I am further troubled by the realization that at least one person saw Martin Skrelli’s (sp?) stupid, smirking mug and thought something other than, “Man, gently caress this guy.”

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
There's a new strip club for diabetics and they're holding auditions, duh

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice

Yoshi Wins posted:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Years ago, my youngest son was prescribed a special eye drop.

I went to the pharmacy to pick it up, and my insurance didn't cover it(as usual) and it was 350.00 dollars for 1/10 of an ounce of medicine. Literally loving worth more than gold by weight.

Nice healthcare system America, good job!

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I think my elbow may be fractured (tried ice skating for the first time) but can't afford to even have it x-rayed. Maybe I should join the military, idk

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
The secret is to make all do your injuries work related.

Mangle your foot with a lawn mower on Saturday? You better hold out until you can make it to the office Monday morning and blame it on the copier.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Rad-daddio posted:

The secret is to make all do your injuries work related.

Mangle your foot with a lawn mower on Saturday? You better hold out until you can make it to the office Monday morning and blame it on the copier.

HR might have some questions with 'Employee sat on a dildo during Monday meeting'.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Outrail posted:

HR might have some questions with 'Employee sat on a dildo during Monday meeting'.

Tell them you fell on it in the break room.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Outrail posted:

The Dick Sucking Factory pays an incredibly high workers' comp premium, trust me

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I think my elbow may be fractured (tried ice skating for the first time) but can't afford to even have it x-rayed. Maybe I should join the military, idk

Not with that elbow. :colbert:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Burt Sexual posted:

And a mean base of a photoshop thread

Just gotta aim in the correct direction:

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Klyith posted:

Just gotta aim in the correct direction:

Yup. Oh yeah. That’s the stuff...

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It’s almost certainly Medicare fraud, OP. A medical provider (likely dialysis clinic in this case) buys the testing strips for pennies on the dollar, gives/sells them to patients, then bills Medicare for the strips as if they were bought from a wholesaler at full price. Same thing happens with other medicine/non durable medical equipment. There is a more direct scam that isn’t technically Medicare fraud (because you don’t bill the strips to the government but rather just sell them straight to the end user), but this is less common.

E. Also, there is big business in ferreting out these scams and bringing them to the government’s attention via what’s known as a “qui tam” action; you can get up to 25% of what the government ends up recovering from the fraudfeasors (plus your attorneys fees and reasonable expenses). Look up the “False Claims Act private suit” for more info.

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 24, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It its selling them to needy people on the cheap: Good

If it's some doctor making money without passing on the saving to patients: Guillotine

But there's nothing inherently bad about ripping off insurance companies. 'But they pass on the losses to everyone else' is bullshit. The charges are basically arbitrary already.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

1redflag posted:

It’s almost certainly Medicare fraud, OP. A medical provider (likely dialysis clinic in this case) buys the testing strips for pennies on the dollar, gives/sells them to patients, then bills Medicare for the strips as if they were bought from a wholesaler at full price. Same thing happens with other medicine/non durable medical equipment. There is a more direct scam that isn’t technically Medicare fraud (because you don’t bill the strips to the government but rather just sell them straight to the end user), but this is less common.

E. Also, there is big business in ferreting out these scams and bringing them to the government’s attention via what’s known as a “qui tam” action; you can get up to 25% of what the government ends up recovering from the fraudfeasors (plus your attorneys fees and reasonable expenses). Look up the “False Claims Act private suit” for more info.

I ain't no snitch!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

If it's some doctor making money without passing on the saving to patients: Guillotine

But there's nothing inherently bad about ripping off insurance companies. 'But they pass on the losses to everyone else' is bullshit. The charges are basically arbitrary already.

I mean this is a real thing and a big part of why our system gets so expensive for the middle class. Like yeah healthcare being for profit is the main issue but all the clever ways to game the system just end up being passed onto the people actually putting into it because as long as it is for profit they're gonna want to make money off those they can. You're not really sticking it to the man you're just in part responsible for worse and more expensive plans for the working class.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Death to constantly in America

Outrail posted:

In any other country strips are basically free or super cheap. But in America people are so desperate for strips to monitor their possibly life threatening medical condition that they're willing to buy poo poo on the street.

I'm struggling to think of anything more ludicrous than that. Elephants? Children's teeth maybe?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mother-fights-for-lower-insulin-prices-after-sons-tragic-death/

At least we have freedom.

Outrail posted:

I know someone on medicare and the statements you get back in the mail are fun. Doctors will bill for some absurd amount of money because medicare will only pay out a fraction of that, but to get that amount they have to bill for anywhere from two to four times the actual pay out. Here's where the fun comes in. If you don't have insurance and have to pay out of pocket they don't adjust it to the cost the insurance company actually pays. So they price gouge you knowing full well that they are price gouging you. this is why people die from preventable illnesses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ArbitraryC posted:

You're not really sticking it to the man you're just in part responsible for worse and more expensive plans for the working class.

CPL593H posted:

So they price gouge you knowing full well that they are price gouging you. this is why people die from preventable illnesses.

So are they billing you as much as they can or are they billing you more to make up for the scams? It really can't be both. They might say it's because of scams, but in the first instance it's a lie or an excuse. Or maybe poor insurance companies are just trying to scrape by after the drug companies put their hundreds of percent markup on production costs and the mean old diabetics are basically stealing boats from their docks.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean this is a real thing and a big part of why our system gets so expensive for the middle class. Like yeah healthcare being for profit is the main issue but all the clever ways to game the system just end up being passed onto the people actually putting into it because as long as it is for profit they're gonna want to make money off those they can. You're not really sticking it to the man you're just in part responsible for worse and more expensive plans for the working class.

Hmm yes maybe but on the other hand getting one up on the cancer that feasts on society's literal sickness is cool and also good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Outrail posted:

So are they billing you as much as they can or are they billing you more to make up for the scams? It really can't be both. They might say it's because of scams, but in the first instance it's a lie or an excuse. Or maybe poor insurance companies are just trying to scrape by after the drug companies put their hundreds of percent markup on production costs and the mean old diabetics are basically stealing boats from their docks.

I don't know exactly why they do this but I'm assuming the way medicare works is all hosed up so they have to give a much higher number than they know medicare will actually pay out to get the money they're supposed to get for which ever service. I have no idea if this is how the private insurance companies are run, if you're not in the US medicare isn't a private company. It's a government program that gives the kind of health insurance everyone should have to people that are either retired or disabled.