Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is Live a Christian Rock band or was I lied to

I don't think they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
they are christian yes

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

they are christian yes

They are Christians, but they don't consider themselves a Christian Rock band in the sense that DC Talk was a Christian group.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is Live a Christian Rock band or was I lied to

Wasn’t that lovely “I am overcome” song that was all over the place after 9/11 pretty Jesus-y?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

wait, nm I think I get what is going on here

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

SalTheBard posted:

They are Christians, but they don't consider themselves a Christian Rock band in the sense that DC Talk was a Christian group.

the bald guy with the rat tail told me ur wrong

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

the bald guy with the rat tail told me ur wrong

I'm sure he knows more than I do. Did he tell you while filming his cameo in Fight Club?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Walrus posted:

cake are good, like top 10 90s bands good

edit when including total output not necessarily made in the 90s

The outro to I will survive is too long by about a month, and short skirt long jacket has claimed the lives of three power buttons so far.

But I'm the same person who defends blind melon's first album from the hate its overplayed single generates, so if you say cake deserve a pass then okay, they do.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

cake is so embarrassing. dorks.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

cake is so embarrassing. dorks.

How can you say they're dorks when they covered disco hit I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor, but said gently caress in it?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Live was a Christian rock band, but not a Christian Rock band, imho. Their most famous song has allusions to reincarnation.

Cake was good.

Dave Grohl is a piece of poo poo, the Tom Brady of rock.

Harald fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 29, 2019

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
TAD was the best band from Seattle at that time

https://youtu.be/eObop0waGII

https://youtu.be/4SR0Gm1u2e8 :rock:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the worst band spot has to be judged by the gap between the quality of the music and the overblown, gigantical praise from fans, the music press, the culture industry and so on in general

and that spot has to be filled by lou reed, because whatever the fans liked about him certainly couldn't have been the music, which was extremely boring. it couldn't have been the relationship between reed and the fans, because he clearly hated his own fans, which was logical from his perspective, because of how much his music sucked. it couldn't have been the lyrical content, which was mostly about why it's cool to take a dump on people during an orgy while high on a mixture of cocaine and heroin, from what i could tell, although reed's vocal performances were often incomprehensible. now i am attacking reed in the most extreme way possible, but that is also necessary to counterbalance the over-the-top praise which i think has just served to intimidate and stupify people who were actually listening to this nonsense with both of their ears. "reed had changed the mood and the direction of pop in a way that might legitimately be compared with the impact of elvis presley, the beatles or bob dylan." (the guardian.)

just because they said it doesn't make it true, and it's clearly not true because you never hear reed played anywhere, because people would immediately change the station!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-fq_BOj3ho

i agreed with the poster who said dave matthews band is hated more for their fans than the band. i'm indifferent towards that band, though them taking a dump on a passing tour boat underneath their bus as it went over a grated bridge in chicago is pretty funny, but that was an accident and not deliberately making GBS threads on people like lou reed did every time he performed in front of an audience. but i think the reverse DMB syndrome is the case with lou reed. while people hated DMB for the fans, people praised reed because he had the right fans and was vaguely androgynous and gayish at a time when that was provocative, which drew in (largely white) new york hipsters, beatnik types, queer people, etc.. that's not my issue with reed at all, and it was probably compelling for those fans to see someone perform in that way at a time when few people were doing that.

so when i say lou reed sucks, it's not a personal attack on the fans, because lou reed is not his fans. for instance, reed was far more openly racist, anti-semitic, and misogynistic than most of his fans, saying things in interviews like "i don't like [n-words] like donna summer" who had far more talent and moral character in her pinky than in reed's entire "ouvre," and is far more fun to listen to like this song about respecting working women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwzxn-1eIJ0

the relationship there is more about a place in time than anything else. my analysis and criticism of reed is based on a scientific fact that his tunes were dreck and just awful, like his character, in every concievable way

I remember having a Tower Records clerk get all pissy when I mentioned after prompting that I thought Lou Reed sucked when I saw him live in the Amnesty International benefit concert. He asked who I liked, and I enthusiastically praised Peter Gabriel's performance. He then started twisting my words to make me seem shallow because I mentioned Peter Gabriel "really put on a show" whereas Lou Reed was boring. I was on my heels because he had brought the topic up and I hadn't been expecting lip from a Tower Records clerk, and so just left the store.

When I build my time machine, come back with me so I can unleash you on that smug, wrong fucker.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Glenn Quebec posted:

Also: Creed blows. Uhh, Staind, uhhh POD. Basically any numetal from the early 2000s sucks poo poo. They all do. System of a down singing opera shittily to loving Godsmack. It's a generation of terrible, terrible 'edgy' but radio safe music. May God have mercy on me for surviving it

ill fight you to death over system of a down but i agree with the rest. pod is basically christian rock that tricked a buncha metal heads. and godsmack has one loving good song and its not even good enough for me to remember the name of but its about a snake bite being like heroin. the worst was slipknot though.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajhUMLXviUE

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's not exactly original to rip on nu metal. I will say one thing, when I go back to those bands that I listened to as a young adolescent like Linkin Park, I can sometimes still see why I liked them. The verses are nearly always kind of boring but the choruses are powerful, loud guitars and stuff, and the angst speaks to me. The rapping is usually embarrassing but in their own inept way they were at least trying to transcend genre.

Limp Bizkit is the major exception, they really were and are unbearably bad, there are no retro-nostalgic goggles powerful enough to change that, and I should have known better even at twelve years old.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Sup fans of gin blossoms

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I've never listened to Lou Reed in my life and goddamn this sucks! The way he so energetically counts it out at the start I was expecting something with punch, but no! It's a quiet and generic little skipping bass line and drum beat. So then I thought, based on your post he sounds like an rear end in a top hat, maybe he's saving the rockin stuff for himself? Nope, he pumps his fist then joins in with a limp strumming of literally the first chords everyone learns on guitar, so quietly he may as well not be. The lyrics were trash so I skipped around to look for the solo (it sucked) and saw a couple shots of his band who look like so bored and rear end whipped I felt sorry for them. Like they can dimly remember when playing music felt good.

Thanks Brutalist McDonalds, I now know what you know

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

half cocaine posted:

Sup fans of gin blossoms

Hey Jealousy is a good song

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i have a diary entry -- dated january 9, 2001 -- about going to mediaplay to buy "the linkin park CD" (hybrid theory) and "the limp bizkit CD" (chocolate starfish and the hot dog flavored water) :unsmith:

Phlegmish posted:

Limp Bizkit is the major exception, they really were and are unbearably bad, there are no retro-nostalgic goggles powerful enough to change that, and I should have known better even at twelve years old.

i still think "boiler" is a good song

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phlegmish posted:

It's not exactly original to rip on nu metal. I will say one thing, when I go back to those bands that I listened to as a young adolescent like Linkin Park, I can sometimes still see why I liked them. The verses are nearly always kind of boring but the choruses are powerful, loud guitars and stuff, and the angst speaks to me. The rapping is usually embarrassing but in their own inept way they were at least trying to transcend genre.

I saw both bands open for Metallica back in the day (2002, I think). Linkin Park was tolerable, but Limp Bizkit was quite possibly the worst live performance I had ever seen, and I don’t think I’ve seen anything worse since. And I say that having been dragged to a five finger death punch concert.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Hey Jealousy is a good song

South of Nowhere was too.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

half cocaine posted:

Sup fans of gin blossoms

The story of their guitarist is depressing as poo poo. The guy wrote their two biggest hits, Hey Jealousy and Found Out About You. And right before the band became huge, they kicked him out and completely hosed him over by having him sign away the rights to his music for a pittance. And then he ended up shooting himself in the head.

Wikipedia posted:

As the Gin Blossoms experienced mounting success performing songs he had written, Hopkins became increasingly despondent. Although he had always dreamed of having a gold record, when he received one (for the song "Hey Jealousy"), he hung it up for two weeks before taking it down and then destroying it. Nine days later, during an intake consultation in the detox unit of Phoenix's St. Luke's Hospital, Hopkins sneaked out and bought a .38 caliber pistol. The next day, December 5, 1993, Hopkins committed suicide.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

26 years later and it's extra sad to hear about someone killing themselves over being booted by the fuckin' Gin Blossoms.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

ill be honest i was sad that kim shattuck died a couple month ago

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phlegmish posted:

Sounds like you're caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Maya Fey posted:

ill be honest i was sad that kim shattuck died a couple month ago

I didn’t know this and am also now sad.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

can definitely still bang along to some linkin park

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I didn’t know this and am also now sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsxyaZhdW1s

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Vastarien posted:

The story of their guitarist is depressing as poo poo. The guy wrote their two biggest hits, Hey Jealousy and Found Out About You. And right before the band became huge, they kicked him out and completely hosed him over by having him sign away the rights to his music for a pittance. And then he ended up shooting himself in the head.

Congratulations I'm sorry I ever liked them

(I'm not, those two songs still bang)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You know, Pearl Jam actually refers to male bio emissions

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Am I allowed to hate KISS? They loving suck, possibly more than even Nickleback or Creed. I have never understood why anyone could like them ever. (I'd say worst rock album is Metallica's St Anger an album so lovely the rock station in the area APOLOGIZED whenever they had to play it. Talk about a fall from grace.)

Someone please explain Kiss to me. lovely costumes and lame arena rock shouldn't have made it this long.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

All baby boomer bands suck.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Captain Rufus posted:

Am I allowed to hate KISS? They loving suck, possibly more than even Nickleback or Creed. I have never understood why anyone could like them ever. (I'd say worst rock album is Metallica's St Anger an album so lovely the rock station in the area APOLOGIZED whenever they had to play it. Talk about a fall from grace.)

Someone please explain Kiss to me. lovely costumes and lame arena rock shouldn't have made it this long.

The Replacements cover of ‘Black Diamond’ is pretty good, is the only defence I can muster for KISS.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Captain Rufus posted:

KISS used to relentless tour lovely no-where towns that no one else ever would and they had costumes and fireworks and merchandising.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Phlegmish posted:

I went through the entire Smashing Pumpkins discography a while ago and it turns out they only had a few good songs and I already knew most of them

Nah.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:, no good songs at all.

KISS are pretty bad. Not worse than Limp Bizkit or other nu-metal poo poo though.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i only listen to the beatles and motorhead, op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Phlegmish posted:

I went through the entire Smashing Pumpkins discography a while ago and it turns out they only had a few good songs and I already knew most of them

Siamese Dream is a great album. Gish has some good tracks with some great guitar work. Mellon Collie has not aged well. Everything after except Stand Inside Your Love sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

KISS used to relentless tour lovely no-where towns that no one else ever would and they had costumes and fireworks and merchandising.

Pretty much. They've only got three songs, but they play and perform those songs like no one else. Not everyone who can play can also put on a show.