Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Let's do this. I'll close nominations on New Year's Day (some time) and then we'll do voting for a couple weeks after that. I'm populating initial nominees from the past Rowdy ringsports end of year winners. I'm only putting in positive categories, though if I really get overriden on that I will add "worst fight." Imo if something is bad enough to be memorable, nominate it for a comedy award.

I'll keep adding things that generated lots of buzz, as I t hink of them too.

Mekchu posted:

Thread for MMA's Best & Worst of 2019 Voting & Discussion is now open - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907807

So here are the categories I'm starting with and the nominations. I'd like to cap it at 10 categories to make voting easier. I've put in yearly winners for fighter of the year as automatic nominees, plus a few obvious candidates.

Fighter of the Decade Criteria: combination of influence on the sport while maintaining consistently good performances at the highest levels, i.e. successful and important.
2013: Chris Weidman
2014: Robbie Lawler
2015: Conor McGregor
2016: Cody Garbrandt
2017: Max Holloway
2018: Daniel Cormier
Ronda Rousey

Best at fighting Criteria: winning the most and toughest fights against the strongest opposition.
Jon Jones
Anderson Silva
Georges St. Pierre
Demetrious Johnson
Khabib Nurmagomedov
Amanda Nunes (has entirely cleaned out two divisions and has two wins over the champ of a third)

Coolest fighter Criteria: PSP's favourite fighters who are cool who you like because of their personality and/or because they're fun to watch.
2013-16: Mark Hunt
2017: Demetrious Johnson
2018: Max Holloway
Tony Ferguson (wins TUF in 2011, goes 15-1 in the 2010s, is cool and weird)
Justin Gaethje
Amanda Nunes
Robbie Lawler
Nate Diaz
Daniel Cormier, he put the wrestlefuck on people really good.

Fight of the decade
2013: UFC Fight Night 33 – Mark Hunt vs. Antonio Silva
2014: UFC 171 – Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler
2015: UFC 189 – Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald
2016: UFC 206 - Cub Swanson vs Doo Ho Choi
2017: UFC 218 - Eddie Alvarez vs Justin Gaethje
2018: Chan Sung Jung vs Yair Rodriguez, UFC Fight Night 139
Jorge Santiago vs Kazuo Misaki 2 Sengoku 14 nomination post
UFC 125 Edgar vs Maynard
UFC 136 Edgar vs Maynard 2
UFC 117 Sonnen-Silva
UFC 139 Henderson vs Shogun
UFC on Fuel: Zombie vs Poirier - Korean Zombie vs Dustin Poirier
UFC 195 Robbie Lawler vs Carlos Condit
UFC 166 - Gilbert Melendez vs Diego Sanchez

MMA story of the decade
Women in MMA
MMA in New York
USADA
Reebok
WME-IMG

MMA comedy of the decade
2015: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz – The fight. The drug failures. The trials. The dick pills. The prank call. Everything. DWG has requested a full pbp of this to refresh
2016: Kimbo Slice vs Dada 5000
2017: Andrei Arlovski fights a giant baby in a diaper
2018: Everything surrounding UFC 223 (Tony tripping on a cable with sunglasses; Conor vs Bus; weighing Iaquinta's panties...)
Yoel Romero in sum: stool, poop, no for gay jesus.. etc. nomination post
Ronda Rousey poops in the woods then marries the tiki themed turd golem
Comedy of the decade - Chael Sonnen vs Tito Ortiz bellator press conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlIajTUb2bo
Brendan Schaub (his UFC fights, his podcast with Joe when he got told he'd be hosed up hard by top heavyweights, his claims he wasn't retiring when he ultimately did, his attempt at podcasting on like 5 mediocre podcasts, and his terrible stand up career.)

KO of the decade
2013: UFC 162 – Chris Weidman KO Anderson Silva
2014: UFC Fight Night 52 – Mark Hunt KO Roy Nelson
2015: UFC 194 – Conor McGregor KO Jose Aldo [Punches]
2016*TIE*: UFC 206 - Lando Vannata KO Jon Makdessi (Spinning wheel kick)
2016*TIE*: UFC 199 - Dan Henderson KO Hector Lombard (Back elbow)
2017: UFC 219 - Francis Ngannou KO Alistair Overeem (Uppercut)
2018: Yair Rodriguez vs Chan Sung Jung, upward elbow, UFC Fight Night 139
Jienitsu KO Shinya Aoki Dynamite 2010 nomination post
UFC 239 - Masvidal KO Askren (5 sec flying knee)
UFC 126 Anderson Silva KO Vitor Belfort (front kick TO THE FACE)
UFC 142 Edson Barboza KO Terry Etim (wheel kick)
TUF 17 Uriah Hall KO Adam Cella (Spinning hook kick)

Submission of the decade
2013: UFC 164 – Anthony Pettis SUB Benson Henderson via Armbar
2014: UFC Fight Night 49 – Ben Saunders SUB Chris Heatherly via Omoplata
2015: UFC 186 – Demetrious Johnson SUB Kyoji Horiguchi [Armbar]
2016: UFC on Fox 18 - Ben Rothwell SUB Josh Barnett (Gogo choke)
2017: UFC 216 - Demetrious Johnson SUB Ray Borg (Suplex armbar)
2018: Aljamain Sterling vs Cody Stamann and Zabit Magomedshapirov vs Brandon Davis, kneebar, UFC 228
Korean Zombie sub Leonard Garcia (twister), UFC Fight Night Nogueira vs. Davis
Strikeforce whatever: Werdum vs Fedor nomination post

Performance of the decade
2015: UFC 193 – Holly Holm def. Ronda Rousey
2016: UFC 206 - Cody Garbrandt def. Dominick Cruz
2017: UFC 218 - Max Holloway vs Jose Aldo 2
2018: Amanda Nunes vs Cris Cyborg, UFC 232
UFC 128 Jon Jones vs Shogun Rua nomination post
UFC 173 TJ Dillashaw def Renan Barγo
UFC 121 Cain Velasquez def Brock Lesnar
UFC 217 Georges St. Pierre sub Michael Bisping

Upset of the decade.
2013: UFC 162 – Chris Weidman def. Anderson Silva
2014: UFC 173 – TJ Dillashaw def. Renan Barγo
2015: UFC 193 – Holly Holm def. Ronda Rousey
2016: UFC 199 - Michael Bisping def. Luke Rockhold
2017: UFC 217 - Rose Namajunas vs Joanna Jedrzejczyk
2018: Henry Cejudo vs Demetrious Johnson, UFC 227
UFC 232 Nunes KOng Cyborg in less than a round. I don't think anyone saw that happening the way it did.

Mekchu posted:

I think this 100% should be done.

To help with this, the UFC is actually putting out 10min vid recaps for each year of the decade.

2010 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIFrEWZpFMM
2011 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS54Y8StKks
2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSmNQCNAACw
2013 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZXg4a1gkvQ

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

CommonShore posted:

MMA comedy of the decade
2015: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz – The fight. The drug failures. The trials. The dick pills. The prank call. Everything.

I'll be honest, it took me a minute to remember the full scope of how much this was a shitshow and I think it deserves a full recap by someone. It's my pick.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
MMA comedy of the decade is yoel Romero for me. Stoolgate, an actually stool in his pants during the fight which he acted like it was a normal thing afterwards, no for gay Jesus, his weird corner man, winning 17 mil for not being on steroids apparently, I am sure there is many more.

Also whoever live posted in the GDT during the Kennedy fight "not the first time there has been an unwanted stool in a yoel Romero fight". Probably the hardest the forums have ever made me laugh.

turntabler fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 24, 2019

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never heard about the poop in his pants bit. Wtf.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i have a few nominations that came to mind.

Fight of the decade
Sengoku 14: Jorge Santiago vs. Kazuo Misaki 2 (https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl12z3)

one of the most brutal and violent fights you'll ever see. should really be viewed in context of their first also excellent fight which i can't find online now. and in the context of misaki's whole career. he's great.

UFC 117: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen.

all time classic, from start to finish. it's a perfect encapsulation of chael sonnen. he double legs his way out of full mount at one point.

KO of the decade
Dynamite 2010: Jienotsu vs. Shinya Aoki (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGjmRXA0xc)

maybe this one doesn't count because it's a weird mixed rules hybrid match. it's incredible. the guy with the dyed hair is a kickboxer. the guy without dyed hair is a grappler and was the best lightweight in japan. he's also a huge rear end in a top hat who has molested female reporters and deliberately broken his opponents' limbs after they tapped. it's worth watching in full.

Submission of the decade
Strikeforce: Fabricio Werdum vs. Fedor

fedor had looked a bit poo poo for a few fights before this and his fall wasn't exactly graceful after. but it was a really wonderful submission. it was very cathartic to see fedor lose. there's not a lot of his insane fans left but one of them made a thread called the agony and ecstasy of being a fedor fan or something like that after he lost.

Performance of the decade
UFC 128: Jon Jones vs. Shogun Rua.

i think jones was a decent favourite coming in. no one could have predicted this beatdown. i thought shogun would sweep him with kneebars and beat him up on the feet. i learned an important lesson.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 24, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Edited to include ^, ^^, and ^^^.

I'm linking nomination posts or informational posts instead of quoting what I feel is relevant information.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Comedy of the decade - Chael Sonnen vs Tito Ortiz bellator press conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlIajTUb2bo

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

Amanda Nunes deserves to be coolest fighter

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to put her in there and rejigger the "best fighter" divisoins a bit.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
2012 highlight is out for UFC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSmNQCNAACw

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Robbie vs Condit should probably be in the mix for fight of the decade

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZXg4a1gkvQ

Updated a few more categories based on posts and other stuff

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
no love for sanchez-melendez? it's my favorite fight of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oHr1sTpimE

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Comedy of the Decade: Brendan Schaub (his UFC fights, his podcast with Joe when he got told he'd be hosed up hard by top heavyweights, his claims he wasn't retiring when he ultimately did, his attempt at podcasting on like 5 mediocre podcasts, and his terrible stand up career.)

Upset of the Decade: Nunes KOng Cyborg in less than a round. I don't think anyone saw that happening the way it did.

Coolest Fighter of the Decade: Daniel Cormier, he put the wrestlefuck on people really good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Poll is up

https://forms.gle/YZPhRrgJnEcBzy118

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's so weird to think about how huge a deal Holly beating Ronda was, given how completely unremarkable (outside of being funny) Holly Holm's career has been since then.

Nunes forever!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

It's so weird to think about how huge a deal Holly beating Ronda was, given how completely unremarkable (outside of being funny) Holly Holm's career has been since then.

Nunes forever!

Just imagine if they had matched Ronda up with GDR like...ever.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

Nunes forever!

Buster DougLass

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Brut posted:

Just imagine if they had matched Ronda up with GDR like...ever.

Holm's cowardice played a big part as she skittered around the outside. GdR probably would have just gotten tossed and subbed

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Extremely disappointed in myself that I forgot about one of the funniest things in MMA history.

Dominick Cruz had been out of action for nearly 3 years due to injury. In his last bout, a successful defense of the bantamweight title, saw him break his hand in the first round. He then tore his ACL in 2012. His body rejected the cadaver ligament used as a replacement, requiring another surgery. He then suffered a torn groin, putting him out of action even longer. Then, in 2014, he finally returned to action, taking on Takeya Mizugaki. Cruz, true to his nickname, dominated, finishing Mizugaki just past the first minute. His first fight since 2011, his first finish since 2010. Cruz was back, and was gonna challenge for the title he'd never lost.

At the World MMA Awards, Cruz was rightfully honored with Comeback of the Year, but not for a single bout that he turned around, but his whole career, that many people thought was over some time in 2013.

So what's funny? Cruz accepted the award on crutches, because he had torn his other ACL and would have to sit out all of 2015 nursing yet another injury.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lid posted:

Buster DougLass

gently caress :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Voting is closed. I've calculated the results and I'm working on an effortpost for each. I got a headstart on the really big blowout votes, and some of them will take less effort than others.