Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Hi, have a poo poo chud relative you’re going to need to be in the same room with? a lovely year and have nothing to celebrate? drunk and avoiding family? whatever it is, have a collective drink with us, a toke, whatever (legal-ish, don’t be weird). As goons, our tradition is to collectively embrace the misery of existence, and what better time than the end of a dogshit year in this dogshit world.

For instance, I split with my partner on crappy terms in April, after moving across the ocean to be with them a few years back. While yeah, the split happened, I’m still staying in Sweden because I have basic health insurance, a stable job that actually uses my meh college degree, my cats, basic health insurance, a new person in my life, basic health insurance, and a life there, all of which I’m not going to give up after one bad thing, and especially to go back to the US in tyool 2019 of all places and times.

Needless to say, some people (boomers) in my life have decided that ”well, you should return home, to the US, there’s so many opportunities for young people here! plus you’ll need to start paying into Social Security, and start settling down…” is something you should say to someone completely unsolicited. Nice to know that my hard work amounts to ”lol just move back after one minor setback” from loved ones (multiple ones! Holy poo poo!). Admittedly, I miss Taco Bell and trashy plus size clothing, but I’m surviving such perilous obstacles. And gently caress, after being back for less than a week, I remember why I’m happy I left, despite how hard it felt to take that leap in 2016.

So yes, please, share with us the misery that is the end of the year (or cute pet photos), regale us with tales of why your uncle wants to say the n word because those people can say it, the hell that is working retail, awkward presents, Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey, lovely booze and drunkposting (or soberposting! holy poo poo more power to you for sobriety). We’re all here for you (until the thread dies off around Jan 2nd ish).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm going to wear the Homer Simpson christmas shirt my mum gave me from last year belated while doing the bare minimum to acknowledge her existence on christmas

While my friend's christmas is probably going to be characterised by their mother and stepfather trying to steal their prescription painkillers

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Only 12 hours until I eat dinner.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
In a cruel twist of fate, gifts are really important to my wife, not to my mother, yet of all the sister-in-laws my wife invariably gets the worst ones from my mom. The best example was the year my wife got a 3-pack of fancy jams. Well the pack was for three jams, there were only two in it (one hole was empty). One of the remaining jams had been opened and sampled. All were expired.

Can't wait to see what shows up this year!

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
Gift your wife a 5-pack of beer to help get through the holiday

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
My fiancee's parents are skipping Christmas. Her dad is always away from home now, running away from her mom who is in a deep depression, stuck at home and seriously in need of some support but is married to a chud and lives in bumfuck nowhere.

My mom is upset with my dad because he got me, apparently, multiple gifts and went in halves for one thing for my fiancee? And she wants me to come over and help her make cookies. I'm sure it's gonna be a grand ol' time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm no contact with my entire family and I loving loathe everything about this time of year. The decor, the music, the capitalism, the sheer volume of humanity that apparently only leaves the house in December to clog every street and business, oh and the confusion from people I've known for years still looking at me like I grew an extra head when I tell them, again, that I don't celebrate and I don't want to come to the office party this year. I haven't gone any of the five years I've worked here and I'm not gonna suddenly start.

Seriously everybody is miserable right now. We'd all be happier if we would let ourselves admit how much this poo poo sucks and let it be a normal rear end holiday and not several months of non stop red and green advertising.

I'm handling it worse than I usually do this year and I've got into a nasty fight with my wife and just feeling surly and despondent all month and it needs to go away now please

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't celebrate anything cause of my convictions and also I'm a broken person.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Bringing my wife (I'm also a woman) to see my folks, who are generally pretty good about individuality and not harshing buzzes publicly, but will often leave Fox News running when we come in as a reminder that they consume a lot of garbage media.

Oh and their delightful neighbor who likes to ask questions of friends I bring over like "OH WHY AREN'T YOU SPENDING CHRISTMAS WITH YOUR FAMILY"? First off, boomer, to paraphrase a great salvage yard owner, family don't end in blood. Second, you don't know a person's circumstances, don't ask dumb poo poo like that jesus loving christ.

cool kids inc. fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 24, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

purple death ray posted:

I'm no contact with my entire family and I loving loathe everything about this time of year. The decor, the music, the capitalism, the sheer volume of humanity that apparently only leaves the house in December to clog every street and business, oh and the confusion from people I've known for years still looking at me like I grew an extra head when I tell them, again, that I don't celebrate and I don't want to come to the office party this year. I haven't gone any of the five years I've worked here and I'm not gonna suddenly start.

Seriously everybody is miserable right now. We'd all be happier if we would let ourselves admit how much this poo poo sucks and let it be a normal rear end holiday and not several months of non stop red and green advertising.

I'm handling it worse than I usually do this year and I've got into a nasty fight with my wife and just feeling surly and despondent all month and it needs to go away now please

I’m NC with my dad and I loving get it. I’m thankful for my mom, and mostly the reason why I came back for the holidays is to see her. I’d have never survived this miserable year without her.

There’s so much insane pressure for FAMILY AND TOGETHERNESS AND LOVE for the holidays that’s so unrealistic, but sells sells sells. We buy images and visages of all this crap to bury the nightmare that this season can be. Show me love by going into deep debt and swallowing down familial bigotry because it’s the holidays gosh darn it!

Im likely going to have a low key holiday with my mom while drunk texting with my boyfriend, who is celebrating Juldagen in a bar with his best friend. My dads side is gently pressuring me to visit them, and as mentioned, I’m happily NC with my father. It’s enough that I need to go upstate to see more relatives with more invasive questions about my life and slowly trying to let me know that I should come “home”, not realizing that home to me is now the other side of the Atlantic.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Thank you for thread. :kimchi:

So far, my biggest stressor is hoping my favorite banh mi shop is open for dinner this evening. I have a pair of nice ribeyes for dinner tomorrow.
My mom emailed me the annual update on their health and my little brother's marriage drama, and they thanked me for being so drama-free and self-sufficient.

I mean, even if I did have issues that I needed to bounce off of someone for guidance, I've got pals on Discord for that. The last person I'd ask for help would be my narcissistic mom who would go out of her way to tell me how she's feeling about the stress my tribulations are causing her. So, that's why I appear so self-sufficient, mom. I know better.

Thanks dad for the chunks of money you lob at my paypal account on xmas/birthday even though I've told you I'm more than fine. I think it's his silent way of telling me he appreciates me.

Gonna probably hit level 50 on my first FF14 character this weekend. It's a nice way to pass the time. First time I've really sunk time into a new MMO in over a decade and it's a breath of fresh air from the snorefest that WoW's devolved to.

I've gotta work on Thurs so tomorrow's just gonna be a bizarro half-weekend in the middle of the week.

Wishing all posters here relaxation and chillaxin' to get through the rest of the year.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I opened my holiday gift early. Memory foam slippers!

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

Hi, have a poo poo chud relative you’re going to need to be in the same room with? a lovely year and have nothing to celebrate? drunk and avoiding family? whatever it is, have a collective drink with us, a toke, whatever (legal-ish, don’t be weird). As goons, our tradition is to collectively embrace the misery of existence, and what better time than the end of a dogshit year in this dogshit world.

For instance, I split with my partner on crappy terms in April, after moving across the ocean to be with them a few years back. While yeah, the split happened, I’m still staying in Sweden because I have basic health insurance, a stable job that actually uses my meh college degree, my cats, basic health insurance, a new person in my life, basic health insurance, and a life there, all of which I’m not going to give up after one bad thing, and especially to go back to the US in tyool 2019 of all places and times.

Needless to say, some people (boomers) in my life have decided that ”well, you should return home, to the US, there’s so many opportunities for young people here! plus you’ll need to start paying into Social Security, and start settling down…” is something you should say to someone completely unsolicited. Nice to know that my hard work amounts to ”lol just move back after one minor setback” from loved ones (multiple ones! Holy poo poo!). Admittedly, I miss Taco Bell and trashy plus size clothing, but I’m surviving such perilous obstacles. And gently caress, after being back for less than a week, I remember why I’m happy I left, despite how hard it felt to take that leap in 2016.

So yes, please, share with us the misery that is the end of the year (or cute pet photos), regale us with tales of why your uncle wants to say the n word because those people can say it, the hell that is working retail, awkward presents, Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey, lovely booze and drunkposting (or soberposting! holy poo poo more power to you for sobriety). We’re all here for you (until the thread dies off around Jan 2nd ish).

That's their way of telling you they miss you and want you to come back you miserable gently caress.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

purple death ray posted:

I totally hear you and I agree, it's over the top and it just seems to get worse. But as a total outsider and stranger can I just offer some unsolicited advice? Don't allow the outside world and its bullshit come between you and your wife. She loves you and cares about you, right? That's why you got married. Focus on her, let the other bullshit fall away. gently caress the outside world and its expectations. Don't listen to them or feel guilty about their expectations of you. Just don't let it come between you and the person you married, for your sake and hers, OK? I know you're a raw nerve right now but let her help and love you. Don't push her away too.

Sending good feelings to you, a stranger I don't know on the internet, in hopes you feel a bit better about things. Sincerely.

EDIT

I've got some complicated family poo poo going on this year too and a fresh family member we're all excluding from things due to their behavior. And I haven't seen my dad in 17 years this month. I feel you.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 24, 2019

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Any of you know that old site that mimicked a retro TV thing, like when you were a kid sitting in front of the TV set? I know I saw it first on this site and I think it used to be a big thing here around the holidays. It’s been so long it’s probably gone now, though.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cubivore posted:

Any of you know that old site that mimicked a retro TV thing, like when you were a kid sitting in front of the TV set? I know I saw it first on this site and I think it used to be a big thing here around the holidays. It’s been so long it’s probably gone now, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxVXYp2KIeE

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cubivore posted:

https://betamaxmas.com/

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Oh hell yeah, thank you man.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Just got back from the honeymoon so I am of course totally on top of christmas shopping. We're actually going to have to swing by a B&N on the drive to my mothers house to grab the last min poo poo my husband was going to get this morning but can't because he got tboned on the way to work. Rental is being picked up now, and he's not at fault, but I'm really hoping its not totaled because after all this wedding bullshit and the honeymoon and christmas we're not exactly flush with cash and I don't want to try and wizard up a down payment for a new car. Its ok though because we get to drive 5 hours to Chicago, stay the night, drive back tomorrow at like 12-1, then do all of his family stuff so I'm sure this will be a fun and relaxing christmas. At least my mother is known for having a great collection of booze, so I can get everyone drunk and tear the family apart with mario party or something later.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
For any Cleveland goons that have nowhere to go this year, a bar in Lakewood called the sidequest is open and is friendly and warm, also queer and nerd friendly.

Not affiliated just some advice for people that need escape.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was almost choked to death while playing Sega hockey. Teach your children well.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

VH4Ever posted:

I totally hear you and I agree, it's over the top and it just seems to get worse. But as a total outsider and stranger can I just offer some unsolicited advice? Don't allow the outside world and its bullshit come between you and your wife. She loves you and cares about you, right? That's why you got married. Focus on her, let the other bullshit fall away. gently caress the outside world and its expectations. Don't listen to them or feel guilty about their expectations of you. Just don't let it come between you and the person you married, for your sake and hers, OK? I know you're a raw nerve right now but let her help and love you. Don't push her away too.

Sending good feelings to you, a stranger I don't know on the internet, in hopes you feel a bit better about things. Sincerely.

EDIT

I've got some complicated family poo poo going on this year too and a fresh family member we're all excluding from things due to their behavior. And I haven't seen my dad in 17 years this month. I feel you.

Thanks. I think we're okay now, it happened about a week ago and we've got through it. I still feel awful for letting it happen in the first place. It was absolutely my fault and I'm deeply ashamed of the way I was acting. You're completely right about this.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I hate everything about Christmas and both my family and my in-laws will be loud as poo poo at their respective dinners. My front tooth is missing and the gums around it are black and purple from the surgery. I can’t vape because of my stitches so I’m either stuck attending events sober or being conspicuously high off edibles. At least nobody died this year??

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

purple death ray posted:

Thanks. I think we're okay now, it happened about a week ago and we've got through it. I still feel awful for letting it happen in the first place. It was absolutely my fault and I'm deeply ashamed of the way I was acting. You're completely right about this.

I know. I'm sorry, as a person with a temper myself believe me, I know what it's like just snapping at someone you care about. I'm glad you recognized I wasn't trying to be critical or judge you, just sort of offer a reality check. I need them myself sometimes, absolutely. Have a good holiday anyway, OK? Glad you and your wife are good. Taking accountability, believe me, is a good place to start and you did that so kudos.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

VH4Ever posted:

I know. I'm sorry, as a person with a temper myself believe me, I know what it's like just snapping at someone you care about. I'm glad you recognized I wasn't trying to be critical or judge you, just sort of offer a reality check. I need them myself sometimes, absolutely. Have a good holiday anyway, OK? Glad you and your wife are good. Taking accountability, believe me, is a good place to start and you did that so kudos.

It's cool, I chose to open up about it in a freaking gbs thread after all lol. I just don't usually see myself as a person with a temper, but I guess that's how stuff sneaks in through your blind spots. We've talked a lot since then and I'm trying to learn what lessons I can from it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
My parents invited themselves to stay in my studio apartment for the next five days.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Discendo Vox posted:

My parents invited themselves to stay in my studio apartment for the next five days.

Yiiiiiikes.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
The supermarket ran out of scones. Christmas is ruined.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Temporarily (I hope) separated from wife. Check.
Not going to get to see my in-laws, who are actually super nice. Check
Staying with geriatric rear end in a top hat father in his lovely, should have been condemned, house, emptying his piss jugs and bedpans because he refuses to admit that he can't live on his own anymore, rather than my own house which I've spend the last decade working on. Check.
No other family around. Check.
No friends around. Check
Definitely something wrong with my knee, hurts like a motherfucker, maybe a torn meniscus. Check.

And I don't even like Christmas that much to begin with. At least I have beer, video games, and one of my dogs.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Wife and I travel every year at the end of December, missing Christmas completely and avoiding all family. We are currently in Hawaii, where we will be spending tomorrow riding bikes and lounging on the beach (if it doesn’t rain). Avoiding everything and everyone, highly recommended.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Year five of no contact with my wife's family and my family has stopped bugging her about it and trying to suggest she build bridges. We don't miss them, we don't regret it, I hope they're miserable (they definitely are)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Imagine the kind of people who would raise a child who posts the way that I do.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Love to hear everyone talking about how 2020 is gonna be so much better.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
My family is super chill on christmas, low drama, nice food, everybody just drinks and has a good time. Presents are an afterthought, everyone just wants to relax and enjoy the day.

I'm not with my family for christmas. I'm with my partners family on the other side of the globe. They all hate each other, everything is an argument, you have to be around for every dinner that is prepared unless you tell them the day before (I'm 30+). They are insane.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
First Christmas since my mom died less than 6 weeks ago after a 10 week battle with cancer. She was my world in a lot of ways. Not looking forward to Christmas this year at all. I bought one present. I didn't even bother taking time off of work cause I don't want to be at home either.

If you still have family you don't hate, make the most of the time you have with them.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Ugh the holidays.

Haven't been a fan of this for years. The mindless and unnecessary consumerism, the waste for needless wrapping paper, extra (wasted) food. All to get together with people who support Trump.

Both my wife and I are only children, so when it comes to planning everything, it falls on us. Both our folks have this expectation that we do everything, spend what little money we have, to all get miserable together in one room. Its loving exhausting on top of our normal lives. Also, I am working through the holidays at home too so I am tethered to my laptop. And then the folks get upset when I cant pull away.

Frankly, the holidays is just to appease boomers because they are children. Soon as they are gone, I am not celebrating the holidays again. All it is is needless stress.

robotsinmyhead posted:

First Christmas since my mom died less than 6 weeks ago after a 10 week battle with cancer. She was my world in a lot of ways. Not looking forward to Christmas this year at all. I bought one present. I didn't even bother taking time off of work cause I don't want to be at home either.

If you still have family you don't hate, make the most of the time you have with them.

I am sorry for your loss and experienced the same thing last year. Mom was fine in Sept, Oct she had brain tumors, Nov 9th dead. She was the one who did all the holiday stuff and being gone is a huge hole and really changed the dynamics of our family. My dad absolutely will not do anything and it seems like my wife and I do all of this for traditions sake.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 24, 2019

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

My family (which I actually like) is thousands of miles away, I didn't decorate (which I like to do) because I have a toddler in the mist of his ripping everything down/apart/off stage, and my husband really, really, really wants me to try to be civil to his father, who we discovered this year is a massive sex pest. I'm gonna be rude as balls though. Oh, and I'm just coming off two weeks of being the sickest I've been in years, so there's no cookies or anything special like that.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Uh, the worst thing that happened this year was my 3.5 year old niece "helping" unwrap all the present and having a bit of a meltdown later because she was tired. vov

robotsinmyhead posted:

poo poo sorry dude, that's awful

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Grandma died Saturday night. Had to stick around with the body for 5 hours until the coroner showed up while my dad cried and cried, because she died at home and you're apparently not allowed to move the body until someone OFFICIAL checks that, yes, this 99 year-old woman has passed away.

Muwhh crismrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm gonna drive 30 minutes to my parent's house, quickly open a few things since we all agreed to keep the gift giving to a few small items, hang around for a bit until my mom serves dinner in early afternoon, then drive back home.

Family holiday's are alright when you live nearby and everyone agrees it's nothing to make a big deal about.