Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Does your area have local specialties or dishes you can only find in your region?

Here in Kentucky the big one is Ale-8. Its not so big here in Louisville but in Lexington its essentially a religion. Its really just a type of Ginger Ale with a little bit of sprite flavor.

Louisville's also in the Ohio valley so even though we're not in Ohio we still have Cincinnati chili. Cincinnati chili is one of the most divisive foods ever created. For starters its not actually chili. It's really more like Bolognese sauce but it was created by Greek immigrants so it has greek-style sauces instead of italian. Cinnamon, all-spice, a little bit of chocolate, then its served on either spaghetti or a hot dog. I have never in my life met someone who likes it the first time they have it. But once you try it a couple times a switch just flips and it tastes absolutely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The northern Midwest has “pasties” which are basically a meat pie w/ short crust pastry (think a chicken pot pie w/out the tin). They are loving amazing. Pronounced “past-ees”.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In Southern California we have this stuff called "Mexican food that isn't rear end-garbage for idiots". It hasn't made it to the other states yet.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Detroit Coney Dog:

Steamed bun, All beef frank, mustard, chopped white onions, beefheart chili, and nothing else

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Montreal smoked meat.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Utah.. I can't think something that is unique here.. Uh Jello Salads.. funeral potatoes and drive through soda fountain stores.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Mandarin? Idk

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The ooooooooold Tuscaloosa Bing Bong is a entire cow fetus chewed through a wood chipper and served piled high on an old pair of dungarees smothered in creamy white sausage gravy

can I hear you a-sayin' MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?!?!?

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
pickles and cream cheese wrapped in ham with little toothpicks holding it together

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

South Carolina has Hoppin' John--a beans and rice dish--as a new year tradition.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Burnt Ends is a Kansas City invention and they are very good

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Down in south cack-a-lacky we've got a sayin' that goes "If it ain't bleedin' we'll see you next weeken'"

We take a half suckling deer fawn, cut it in two and serve it still blinkin' on a 44 inch circular saw blade just smothered in ranch dressing and crispy bacon crumblys

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Does your area have local specialties or dishes you can only find in your region?

Here in Kentucky the big one is Ale-8. Its not so big here in Louisville but in Lexington its essentially a religion. Its really just a type of Ginger Ale with a little bit of sprite flavor.

Louisville's also in the Ohio valley so even though we're not in Ohio we still have Cincinnati chili. Cincinnati chili is one of the most divisive foods ever created. For starters its not actually chili. It's really more like Bolognese sauce but it was created by Greek immigrants so it has greek-style sauces instead of italian. Cinnamon, all-spice, a little bit of chocolate, then its served on either spaghetti or a hot dog. I have never in my life met someone who likes it the first time they have it. But once you try it a couple times a switch just flips and it tastes absolutely delicious.

Don' forget about Ski. You know you're deep in the middle of nowhere when you see bottles of Ski. It's a lemon orange soda and isn't all bad.

Growing up in Louisville, I had no idea people ate chili without pasta. I think the time I had Skyline was about 10 years ago and it was bad but that may also be restaurants changingt to fast casual and using poo poo ingredients.

I still like Bearno's pizza because you can't find that style or flavor anywhere else.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Maryland has crab pretzels which is crab dip baked on a big soft pretzel. It’s magical

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuffed_ham

That’s about it, and it’s gross.

Ed. Lmao Our Lady of the Poison Ham gets a mention in that article.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

green chile gently caress yeah

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Virginia: boiled peanuts, mediocre bbq, and uh red hot sausages? It's all trash, hit up a Pho place or korean bbq place instead.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
There was that one goon who was really into the IOWA CHOP and would get super mad if you suggested that it was just a thick pork chop.

Chomp8645 posted:

In Southern California we have this stuff called "Mexican food that isn't rear end-garbage for idiots". It hasn't made it to the other states yet.

You can find it here in Georgia, but only in dank places that all my white friends are afraid to enter.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

1redflag posted:

The northern Midwest has “pasties” which are basically a meat pie w/ short crust pastry (think a chicken pot pie w/out the tin). They are loving amazing. Pronounced “past-ees”.

isnt this from like britain, new zealand, like lots of other places before the midwest?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
for some reason toronto claims jamaican patties which, I will admit, are good. so sure, they're from here.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Whooping Crabs posted:

Virginia: boiled peanuts, mediocre bbq, and uh red hot sausages? It's all trash, hit up a Pho place or korean bbq place instead.

Boiled peanuts rule

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Toronto is too boring to have any of its own local food, but we do have literally any possible ethnic food you can think of and it's all super authentic so that's ok.

The Walrus posted:

for some reason toronto claims jamaican patties which, I will admit, are good. so sure, they're from here.

I was gonna say this but yeah they're definitely Jamaican, we just claimed them as our own

FormaldehydeSon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 25, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
its actually fairly impossible to get authentic mexican food. tenoch is the closest I've had and they say there are a lot of ingredients they just can't get here.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

I knew a Mexican guy who claimed there was some super authentic restaurant somewhere on Dufferin I think, but I forgot the name then he died so I'll never know what it was

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Arizona has Indian Fry Bread which is like a funnel cake but with beans. It's pretty ok.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

The Walrus posted:

isnt this from like britain, new zealand, like lots of other places before the midwest?

My understanding is that it was brought over w/ by polish immigrants and became a local specialty. Sorry about the cultural appropriation or whatever is causing you to be such a pedant

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The Dregs posted:

There was that one goon who was really into the IOWA CHOP and would get super mad if you suggested that it was just a thick pork chop.

That was Jastiger who adored all things Iowa and despised with a fury anything even tangentially related to the south. He got permabanned for creeping on girl goons

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I go further upstate there’s garbage plates, which are exactly what you would think someone from Rochester would eat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots

It’s under the garbage plate section, it’s basically a mix of ground beef, sausage, carbs, more grease, sauce, and so on piled on until you go into cardiac arrest.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

AuntBuck posted:

green chile gently caress yeah

The good stuff or the New Mexico version where they just chop up peppers with no effort?

(Their red Chile owns tho)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think peameal bacon sandwiches (pretty good) are supposed to be Toronto's municipal dish, but yeah, Canada as a whole is a cultural dead end.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Mordja posted:

I think peameal bacon sandwiches (pretty good) are supposed to be Toronto's municipal dish, but yeah, Canada as a whole is a cultural dead end.

Theres a dip called benedictine thats just cucumber juice and onion juice mixed with cream cheese and spices thats usually served with bacon sandwiches in louisville

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

1redflag posted:

My understanding is that it was brought over w/ by polish immigrants and became a local specialty. Sorry about the cultural appropriation or whatever is causing you to be such a pedant

I just think it's weird for the midwest region, which is like the size of twenty european countries, to claim meat and gravy in pastry as a regional food, is all

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Surely you aren’t reducing the issue to the absurd just to make your point look better

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Pasties are a Cornish thing and the UP of Michigan where they're most popular is like half cornish heritage.

I didn't know they were popular outside the UP though.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mordja posted:

Excuse me but....Poutine

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Not specific to Galveston where I'm at, but we have this killer muffaletta shop run by an actual mob family...the place smells like heaven cause it's also a spice shop.

core ingredient in a muffaletta is olive salad, and it's so goddamn good, also the things are enormous, one whole sandwich feeds 3-4 people

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

I just think it's weird for the midwest region, which is like the size of twenty european countries, to claim meat and gravy in pastry as a regional food, is all

its already absurd, hi I'm from the entire pacific northwest and our regional dish is sushi

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Southern Missouri, specifically Springfield, is the birthplace of cashew chicken.

The story goes that an immigrant man from a Southeastern Asian country (which varies depending on the storyteller) was working as a chef at a country club in Springfield sometime in the 60s or 70s. Some regulars asked him to make something exotic, so he altered a very common Missouri staple, chicken and rice in gravy, and added cashew butter to the sauce.

I make the traditional chicken and rice dish all the time, though over the years I've been making more of a sawmill style gravy (milk with black pepper and thyme) and have included lentils in it to help boost the fiber and nutrition. My kids love it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Quote isn't edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Ok, booze brought back memories.

Utah we have pretty good pastrami burgers. Apollo Burger, JCWs, and Crown Burger to name a few. They are pretty tasty, I recommend.