Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Grape posted:

No but seriously, can everyone from Middle America stop talking about pizza? It's the most consistently mood destroying material in these threads.

Like jesus christ "Really good for gas station food!", this is some French art film levels of crushing depression.

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The sphere of influence for the culinary is hosed up, too. According to that map they never go five minutes down route 9 to work in Poughkeepsie, which is stupid inaccurate.

Also Dinosaur BBQ is in all the major snow belt cities

*utica is not a city

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

I want "gimme the GOD drat candy" to tell us all what the difference is between that an a shepherds pie is right now and why they're so grossed out about it or I want them banned

shepherd's pie has lamb not beef :smug:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sapper posted:

South Central PA checking in. We have Scrapple.

It's...well, it's all the parts of the pig that no one thought to eat before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

I haven't had it since I was a kid, and I thought it was disgusting. But my friends love it so maybe I should give it a try again.

PA just does scrapple really badly. They make it so much more blandly than southerners do.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Benny Harvey posted:

Schwarma and gyros both (for the most part) poo poo on döner. The only döner which comes close is if it's made in house and honestly those seem rarer than gyros and schwarma.

theyre all basically the same exact thing

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I lived about 20 miles from Albany. Raspberry sauce was a mozzarella stick condiment until at least the late 90s. I don't know what may have happened in these later, more debased times.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Yup. I just looked it up and it is the same. I’ve only had it once on a business trip to Buffalo and that’s a mighty fine sandwich.

My (Buffalo born & raised) father-in-law taught me the proper way to eat beef on weck: flip the top half of the bun upside-down so that the salt and caraway meld with the hot roast beef.

Also Nick Tahou's garbage plate was awesome:

And scrapple is about as regional as it gets around here (Philadelphia). Seen in its original state, I get the hate.

My wife couldn't believe I'd try to serve it to her, since she'd only had it as this...hot nasty-rear end mush at some "family-style" place in Lancaster as a kid.

However, she came around, after having it prepared properly -fried in bacon grease:

And although things have improved somewhat in the last 20-years, it's nearly impossible to get a proper & decent hoagie outside of Phila/southern NJ.

(edit)

And down in South Carolina, east of Beaufort, is located The Shrimp Shack. They create the Shrimpburger, using fresh-caught shrimp from the Gay Fish Co, literally across the road (the Gay family owns both concerns).

These things taste like Win and God. It's diced shrimp, with just enough of something to hold it together long enough to be fried.
If something like this is made anywhere else, please post about it.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 27, 2019

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Benny Harvey posted:

Schwarma and gyros both (for the most part) poo poo on döner. The only döner which comes close is if it's made in house and honestly those seem rarer than gyros and schwarma.

Would it be problematic to suggest Königsberger klopse as the best North German food?

Every turkish food has a 100% equivalent greek food and both the greeks and turks will tell you they are 0% related and completely original.

In this case there is also a lebanese dish which is the same too.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Bip Roberts posted:

Every turkish food has a 100% equivalent greek food and both the greeks and turks will tell you they are 0% related and completely original.

In this case there is also a lebanese dish which is the same too.

The Levantine Arabs in general have lots of the same food as the Greeks/Turks. So yeah Lebanese, and definitely Syrians. Probably Palestinians and Jordanians as well but I've never eaten at any such joints.
Some of the Balkan peoples right above Greece also have most of the same stuff.

I yearn to find a name for this food world, but every option would cause one or more of these groups to declare war on me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Grape posted:

The Levantine Arabs in general have lots of the same food as the Greeks/Turks. So yeah Lebanese, and definitely Syrians. Probably Palestinians and Jordanians as well but I've never eaten at any such joints.
Some of the Balkan peoples right above Greece also have most of the same stuff.

I yearn to find a name for this food world, but every option would cause one or more of these groups to declare war on me.

Ive always just seen it called "mediterranean" food.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The Walrus posted:

shepherd's pie has lamb not beef :smug:

He's thinking of cottage pie

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Grape posted:

theyre all basically the same exact thing

Breads, sauces, and toppings are all different

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The grandma who raised me is from Elmira in NY and made this thing where it was hot dogs covered in ground beef topped with mustard and onions. She said was regional but I have no idea since I've never been to that part of New York, just New York City (and Phildalephia, where her ex husband slammed a car door on my arm).

I like geoduck and that's the main regional thing here. My other grandma sautees it with lemon and garlic.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tulalip Tulips posted:

The grandma who raised me is from Elmira in NY and made this thing where it was hot dogs covered in ground beef topped with mustard and onions. She said was regional but I have no idea since I've never been to that part of New York, just New York City (and Phildalephia, where her ex husband slammed a car door on my arm).

That’s a Coney Dog

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

JK Fresco posted:

And when your blind drunk scarfing one down at 3am you sure can tell

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
lets talk more about raspberry jam cheese sticks. are there other fruit concoctions which would possibly go better? maybe something based on. . . i dunno. quince.

or deep purple concord grapes. i mean whatever, you know?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CannonFodder posted:

North Carolina has Cheerwine, a black cherry soda.

Athens geogia used to have Budwine I believe it was called. It seemed pretty similar. I don't remember the soda much but my dad said they used to put it in the cherry shakes at dairy queen and I do remember them being really good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

How to unite the warring nations against you

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

JK Fresco posted:

That changes even within the countries, the meat too.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thats dumb though because like that would imply Italy, Spain, Morocco or whatever were also in on it. And no.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I live in Texas and have diarrhea more often than not.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Grape posted:

Thats dumb though because like that would imply Italy, Spain, Morocco or whatever were also in on it. And no.

I think you're confusing mediterranean with the Mediterranean Sea

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
Rhode Island has Clam Cakes, Lobster Rolls, Johnny Cakes, Stuffies, Coffee Milk, Fried Clams and Donut Cake.

Clam Cake is a clam deep fried in a light batter. goes well with a beer.

Stuffie is a clam with stuffing mixed in, pretty tasty.

Lobster Rolls are Lobster bits chopped and served in a hotdog bun, with veggiee and mayo. This may be a Maine regional. A mixture of different takes on seafood.

Coffee Milk Ive never had, but is basically coffee syrup for milk

Fried clams self explanitory

Donut Cake is a donut, but transformed into cake size. Pretty tasty.

We have the most donut shops per capita.

Do with that as you will.

Edit - Lobster Rolls are not RI native. Although they are a New England dish.

zaepg fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Dec 27, 2019

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

there is nothing in the country better than a classic North Shore roast beef sandwich. and gently caress you if you say Kelly's, because it's absolutely all about the Harrison's. the rest of the country will eat Arby's which is prison food, but you can't slice some thin beef onto an onion roll with some James River BBQ sauce, some cheese, and a little bit of mayo?

I don't regret moving from the North Shore MA all the way to the fuckin tippity top of WA, but I will absolutely miss going to Harrisons and Kelly's.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
St Louis is the home of gooey butter cake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gooey_butter_cake

It's a mix of egg, cream cheese, and sugar on top of a yellow cake base. It's one of those foods that taste more sugary then actual sugar.

It's commonly used as a breakfast/brunch dish.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Over here in Gary Indiana we've got a lesser known specialty known as The Scrambler which is just a dozen eggs mixed with diced italian sausage and dandelion greens served directly into your mouth through the hot exhaust pipe of a rusted out Buick Skylark

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
San Antonio represent. we like Big Red here (also comes in big blue, big peach and big pineapple) a lot. probably more than any other soda except for coca cola. it’s bright red and stains your mouth and teeth (red flash is a poor imitator). there’s been a festival celebrating Big Red and barbacoa going on 10 years now and there’s still debate about what flavor it actually is. the closest I’ve heard is gum. usually the most bang for your buck at any H-E-B is gonna be the package deal of Big Red, barbacoa, tortillas and pico de gallo. I’ve seen ribs glazed with it and this hotdog place in town marinates their barbacoa in Big Red

e: people get really loving passionate about it

Les Os fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 27, 2019

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

PainterofCrap posted:

My (Buffalo born & raised) father-in-law taught me the proper way to eat beef on weck: flip the top half of the bun upside-down so that the salt and caraway meld with the hot roast beef.

Also Nick Tahou's garbage plate was awesome:

And scrapple is about as regional as it gets around here (Philadelphia). Seen in its original state, I get the hate.

My wife couldn't believe I'd try to serve it to her, since she'd only had it as this...hot nasty-rear end mush at some "family-style" place in Lancaster as a kid.

However, she came around, after having it prepared properly -fried in bacon grease:

And although things have improved somewhat in the last 20-years, it's nearly impossible to get a proper & decent hoagie outside of Phila/southern NJ.

(edit)

And down in South Carolina, east of Beaufort, is located The Shrimp Shack. They create the Shrimpburger, using fresh-caught shrimp from the Gay Fish Co, literally across the road (the Gay family owns both concerns).

These things taste like Win and God. It's diced shrimp, with just enough of something to hold it together long enough to be fried.
If something like this is made anywhere else, please post about it.

:barf:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

pentyne posted:

St Louis is the home of gooey butter cake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gooey_butter_cake

It's a mix of egg, cream cheese, and sugar on top of a yellow cake base. It's one of those foods that taste more sugary then actual sugar.

It's commonly used as a breakfast/brunch dish.

I've never seen anything good come out of St. Louis in my life, besides maybe BBQ. The city has bad pizza that's a strongly inferior version of Chicago/Midwest square cut thin crust, the gross abomination that is toasted ravioli, bizarre Chinese fast food sandwiches, and mediocre cakes too? I don't even get it. How can one city birth so much crap?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 27, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I'm from Teesside and we're responsible for creating the Parmo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYejvfZvAJc

No, it's not a Chicken Parmigiana, it's not a Parma, it's a goddamn heart attack on a plate and we're weirdly protective of it.

We even had our own gang tag in PWM (although this had little to do with the actual dish, it amused me. I think noted exiled Teessider-goon Pissflaps was behind it.)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Grape posted:

Doner wasn't invented in Germany lol.

I guess it wasn't, I just always heard it like that lol.

Benny Harvey posted:

Would it be problematic to suggest Königsberger klopse as the best North German food?

Schawarma is amazing, no arguing there. It's all good in the end.

Honestly in modern German consciousness I've never heard Königsberger klopse as northern German, but technically I guess it might count?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

zaepg posted:

Lobster Rolls are Lobster bits chopped and served in a hotdog bun, with veggiee and mayo. This may be a Maine regional. A mixture of different takes on seafood.

Edit - Lobster Rolls are not RI native. Although they are a New England dish.

You'll find lobster rolls all through the Canadian Atlantic provinces, especially along the coast. PEI has a ton of places since lobster fishing a big part of our economy. Hell, even Subway has a lobster sub during lobster season, but for the money you'd be much better off buying one from a small family restaurant.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 27, 2019

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
I live in Aberdeen, Scotland, and up here we have a particular local delicacy: the buttery, or 'rowie'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttery_(bread)

It doesn't look like much, but it's unbelievably soft, creamy and salty and it's goddamn delicious. You can have it cold, warm, put jam on it- hell, put more butter on there, why not?

One reason among many we have such a problem with heart disease and obesity lmao.

Peanut Butter fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 27, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Peanut Butter posted:

I live in Aberdeen, Scotland, and up here we have a particular local delicacy: the buttery, or 'rowie'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttery_(bread)

It doesn't look like much, but it's unbelievable soft, creamy and salty and it's goddamn delicious. You can have it cold, warm, put jam on it- hell, put more butter on there, why not?

One reason among many we have such a problem with heart disease and obesity lmao.

As long as it's made with butter!

I loved these when staying in Scotland, i'd always get them at breakfast. Similar to a croissant but much much nicer.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

I don't regret moving from the North Shore MA all the way to the fuckin tippity top of WA, but I will absolutely miss going to Harrisons and Kelly's.

a fuckin big beef threeway: it's what's for dinner

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

JK Fresco posted:

I think you're confusing mediterranean with the Mediterranean Sea

Yes, I often confused the same thing as the same thing.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

My home town of Tampere, Finland has "Mustamakkara"; lit. "black sausage". Behold:

It's a blood sausage with grains in it, typically eaten with lingonberry jam.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm not originally from Cincinnati, so I find these to be mediocre, but it seems like all the natives go apeshit for Grippo's barbecue flavor, I really don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm not originally from Cincinnati, so I find these to be mediocre, but it seems like all the natives go apeshit for Grippo's barbecue flavor, I really don't get it.

I got some Grippos BBQ Popcorn and two bottles of Grippos BBQ spice from my SA Secret Santa. I've not yet tried the spice, but the popcorn was good. A little sweeter, a little more heat, and less vinegar than the local chips.