Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I am looking for suggestions about the best (read: cheapest) way to replace a transponder key for a 2003 LeSabre (American make: VIN# starts with '1').

A few months ago I lost my wallet, in which were a number of important things including my spare (and chipped) key. I also shortly thereafter locked my keys in my car for the first time in recent memory, which was excellent timing on my part, and I am having a difficult time replacing the lost key. I originally went to Walmart as I needed an oil change, but they did not have the right key in stock (B99-PT5), said that they could not order nor use an outside key and also said that their machine was not detecting a chip in my key even though I am positive that there is one. I had an extra door/trunk key cut as a precaution that day, but I want to have an extra ignition key for obvious reasons. Shortly thereafter, I found a number of sources online that showed a simple method for programming a new blank transponder key provided that one has a working key, which I do. I ordered the proper key online (see above), had it cut at a nearby hardware store (it worked perfectly well in the door and trunk) and tried to program it via this method, with no success. I went to another hardware store who, once again, said that they could not program a key bought outside of their store.

What is my best option? I had this happen to me with another Lesabre years ago and I recall buying a new key from a Home Depot/Lowe's type of place for a fairly reasonable $45-$55 or so, but suddenly it's much more difficult. I even called one of those home improvement/DIY places myself and the woman acted like I was mad for asking if they did such a thing. Dealerships, obviously, charge ludicrous fees and I will avoid them like the plague, but this is way too much nonsense for a simple key. Suggestions welcome and thank you in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have seen kiosks that say they can copy any key. They'll scan the key and the transponder, cut it at their HQ, and mail it to you.

https://www.key.me/

Ohh, it looks like they will do keyfobs as well... :angel:

edit:// I wonder if this will copy my Mul-T-Lock key

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

They will not do Mul-T-Lock. Cutting one of those usually requires the physical key ID card to be placed in the key cutting machine, and it phones home with the info. The really old ones can do it without the card, but only on the oldest style keys.

And those kiosks charge a medium fortune for ANY key, but especially transponder keys. It wanted over $100 to do a key for my GF's Toyota.

JustJeff88, go to an independent locksmith. They have the equipment to do it, and a lot of locksmiths tend to hoard older keys.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you're not too worried about theft, could you remove the transponder, tape it to the inside of the steering column, and use a plain cut key?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
You probably already did this, but give the key dance on the bottom half of this page a shot, see if it cooperates:
https://www.programautokeys.com/classified/2003-buick-lesabre-ignition-transponder-chip-key-programming-instructions-listing-7476.aspx

I had the same trouble with getting a key made for my 03 grand marquis, I tried ACE hardware and Walmart but neither's machine could program my replacement key. I ended up getting a locksmith to program it then promptly left the key on their counter when I walked out so I guess I learned nothing. To my limited understanding, they plugged a programmer into the obd2 port and wiped all the keys, then told the car's computer to play nice with the new key and the original.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 25, 2019

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

STR posted:

They will not do Mul-T-Lock. Cutting one of those usually requires the physical key ID card to be placed in the key cutting machine, and it phones home with the info. The really old ones can do it without the card, but only on the oldest style keys.

I saw a Mul-T-Lock key in the picture on the front page, I should sue them for false advertising! I've got the card and everything, it was more of a curiosity than anything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Do you have a VATS key? If so here is some information that may help:

https://www.lockmasters.com/site/pdfs/TT4002%20Vats%20Overview%20Article.pdf

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

As Nero Danced posted:

You probably already did this, but give the key dance on the bottom half of this page a shot, see if it cooperates:
https://www.programautokeys.com/classified/2003-buick-lesabre-ignition-transponder-chip-key-programming-instructions-listing-7476.aspx

I had the same trouble with getting a key made for my 03 grand marquis, I tried ACE hardware and Walmart but neither's machine could program my replacement key. I ended up getting a locksmith to program it then promptly left the key on their counter when I walked out so I guess I learned nothing. To my limited understanding, they plugged a programmer into the obd2 port and wiped all the keys, then told the car's computer to play nice with the new key and the original.

I did try that, and I was desperately hoping that it would work - it did not. I followed the procedure exactly but, when I put in the new key, the "SECURITY" light would never go off and the car would not recognize the key.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

InitialDave posted:

If you're not too worried about theft, could you remove the transponder, tape it to the inside of the steering column, and use a plain cut key?

haha i'm totally doing this. thanks man

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just wanted to add a quick note for anyone who might be interested: I have been having an on again, off again "Check Engine" light for some months. My longtime mechanic told me not to fret it on an old vehicle unless I was having genuine problems, which I wasn't, and said that on such an old car it could be something as simple as a slightly leaky cap on the petrol tank. I made some calls recently about the key situation and the manager at the hardwore store that probably offered me the best overall price said that he's had a number of situations where he could not pair a new key when a car had an illuminated light and/or was generating error codes. My light is currently off when the engine is running but stays on before I crank the key, so at the recommendation of the bloke at the hardware store I took it to AutoZone, who ran a test and told me that there was one error code which was almost always the cap; I took the car to another mechanic who told me the same thing and also suggested that I get a new cap from the dealer as it's the most likely fix the issue.

I'm torn now because I know that if I get a cap from the dealer it will be faaaaaar more expensive than anywhere else, but I'm hoping that it will allow me to pair the key that I've already had made. On the other hand, I may spend a bunch and still need to have a key made, so I'm torn. I just wanted to update this little thread in case it might be useful to anyone.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm not sure I'm understanding one part, so here's what I think you're saying. A check engine light sometimes prevents a new ignition key from being paired to the vehicle. If that's the case, then just replace the cap and see what happens. Also, you're fretting about the dealer's price...find out what it is first. If it's as expensive as you think, then get one from autozone. There's a slim chance the dealer's cap is actually higher quality, but in my experience (as a former employee and a customer for a long loving time) that's not common at all. I've never seen it on a gas cap, and I sold a lot of those. Oddly enough, I saw it with two radiator caps...which I was buying.

Replace the cap, see what happens.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Also, the check engine light is always on when the engine is not running, so that by itself doesn’t mean anything.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a gas cap at a dealer. They’re mostly all the same.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I don't believe anyone, no matter what I do, I'm just grasping at straws trying to save money. I am really disappointed, but not really surprised, that trying to program my own key won't work, and I'm trying to save the wasted investment of buying a key online and having it cut.

Edit: I did want to mention that while my Check Engine light is currently off, it was when I went to AutoZone and the system still errored; thus my concern.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 30, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

A lot of locksmiths can just clone your existing key; the car won't know the difference. Start asking locksmiths if they can actually clone your existing key, there's no programming needed when they do. I know Ilco makes several machines that can do it.

Guessing the code is "minor evap leak", which is usually a gas cap. I'm gonna look up the OEM cap on Rockauto for you, then cross it to Amazon, so you can get it at a reasonable price...

edit: that didn't take as long as I thought. Amazon link to the OEM GM gas cap, this is what you'd get at a GM dealer. You might try the dealer anyway if you want it NOW, but you've driven it this long with a bad cap... On Rockauto it's $13.57 + shipping. If you have Prime, you'll have it sometime between tomorrow and the 2nd if you order now from Amazon, Rockauto will take a week or so to get it to you using the cheapest shipping method (which would put it slightly cheaper than Amazon).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 30, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

STR posted:

A lot of locksmiths can just clone your existing key; the car won't know the difference.

Guessing the code is "minor evap leak", which is usually a gas cap. I'm gonna look up the OEM cap on Rockauto for you, then cross it to Amazon, so you can get it at a reasonable price...

I would greatly appreciate that, thank you. Two professionals told me that it was 99% likely to be the cap... three now that I think of it, and one of them told me that the system may not allow me to pair a new key (it's happened to him multiple times) while there are any errors. I would like to get a new, secure cap that will get rid of this error and let me try again to pair the key. If I get a new petrol cap, I will have them run the test again at AutoZone and, if it's clean, I will try to pair the key again. If I can't after that, I'm going to just try and buy one at Ace. $79.99 plus tax is probably the best that I can hope for.

I realise that all of this sounds like ridiculous penny-pinching, but I am in dire financial straights. I have been having some modest suspension difficulty on this same vehicle for a few weeks, and I took it in a few days ago. The cost of the repairs is basically more than the car is worth; I am in shock right now and not sure what to do.

STR posted:

A lot of locksmiths can just clone your existing key; the car won't know the difference.

edit: that didn't take as long as I thought. Amazon link to the OEM GM gas cap, this is what you'd get at a GM dealer. You might try the dealer anyway if you want it NOW, but you've driven it this long with a bad cap... On Rockauto it's $13.57 + shipping. If you have Prime, you'll have it sometime between tomorrow and the 2nd if you order now from Amazon, Rockauto will take a week or so to get it to you using the cheapest shipping method (which would put it slightly cheaper than Amazon).

Thank you very much; there's even a "Like New" for a few dollars less. I will try this and, if it doesn't work, Amazon's return policy is very generous. I wanted to try and get an OEM part online myself, but I know nothing about cars and I didn't trust myself to do it.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 30, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Don't get the "like new one", get the actual new one for a couple of bucks more.

I live paycheck to paycheck myself, I know how it is. But you don't want a returned/second hand gas cap. And it's going to take awhile for the code to clear - the light may go off a day or two later, but the code may stick around for a couple of weeks as a pending or historical. Disconnecting the battery doesn't always clear them on GMs, you need someone with a code reader to actually clear the code. If you have an Android phone, you can buy a :10bux: OBD2 Bluetooth adapter on Amazon, install Torque on your phone, and clear it easily yourself (along with pulling codes anytime the check engine light comes on again).

Guessing you have the air shocks in the rear? Swap that poo poo out for regular springs/shocks. The air ride is great when it works, but it doesn't age well.

e: actually you know what, PM me your name/address, I'll order the OBD2 Bluetooth adapter for you so long as you have an Android device sitting around. Torque is free for the lite version, and the lite can still clear codes. You'll only be able to read codes from the engine computer (not from the antilock module, airbag module, body control module, etc), but it's really useful to have.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 30, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

STR posted:

Don't get the "like new one", get the actual new one for a couple of bucks more.

I live paycheck to paycheck myself, I know how it is. But you don't want a returned/second hand gas cap. And it's going to take awhile for the code to clear - the light may go off a day or two later, but the code may stick around for a couple of weeks as a pending or historical. Disconnecting the battery doesn't always clear them on GMs, you need someone with a code reader to actually clear the code. If you have an Android phone, you can buy a $15 OBD2 Bluetooth adapter on Amazon, install Torque on your phone, and clear it easily yourself (along with pulling codes anytime the check engine light comes on again).

Guessing you have the air shocks in the rear? Swap that poo poo out for regular springs/shocks. The air ride is great when it works, but it doesn't age well.

I believe that the "Like New" one was just damaged packaging, but I see your point and I made the swap: I don't want to see any chances here.

As for the suspension issue, the estimate that they gave me is so confusing that I couldn't summarise it for you - it's multiple pages printed out. There's only one mechanic that I even vaguely trust and he's 600+ miles from where I am, so I don't know what to do.

As for the adapter... I do have an Android phone, but I don't feel right about taking money from a stranger online who is already struggling. I did by the cap and perhaps I will take it somewhere near where I live and see if someone else can clear that code. I would really like to try and program this key before I plump $80+ for a new one, and I've seen a very simple programming method described in a number of places. I had no idea what I was doing wrong until the chap at the hardware store told me that error codes could prevent key programming.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 30, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to update in case anyone apart from me still cares:

Firstly, I found the report from AutoZone and the Error code is P0442.

Secondly, I ended up calling the dealership. The good news is that they can duplicate my key for a modest $30 or so. The bad news is that the guy in the garage said the opposite of what I heard and he thinks that it's most likely not the fuel cap, which totally contradicts everything I've heard up until now. So I'm able to get a replacement backup key for a good price even if programming my own key doesn't work, but as it stands I could buy a key from the dealership that doesn't work due to this error code and I am not sure how to address this issue.

gently caress me

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
PM me your address, or email me: username at Gmail. I'll send you an OBDII scanner, I've got a spare. I don't live paycheck to paycheck, and my company had a decent year.

P0422 is a small evap leak, and very well could be the fuel cap. No one can diagnose a problem perfectly over the phone. Torque will erase the code for a while, and let you monitor the systems.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

sharkytm posted:

PM me your address, or email me: username at Gmail. I'll send you an OBDII scanner, I've got a spare. I don't live paycheck to paycheck, and my company had a decent year.

P0422 is a small evap leak, and very well could be the fuel cap. No one can diagnose a problem perfectly over the phone. Torque will erase the code for a while, and let you monitor the systems.

I'm going to take you up on this - message sent. I don't feel comfortable without a spare ignition key and being afraid to buy one due to a fairly innocuous code is something that I have to circumvent.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I still say call around and see if you can find a locksmith that can duplicate the key, chip and all. If you can, there's no programming required at all - the car thinks it's the exact same key.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

STR posted:

I still say call around and see if you can find a locksmith that can duplicate the key, chip and all. If you can, there's no programming required at all - the car thinks it's the exact same key.

This is my plan C.

Plan A is: take this generously offered device, clear the code and try one last time to program the key that I specially ordered and had cut.

If this doesn't work...

Plan B is: go to the dealership and have them make me a new key as this is easily the cheapest offer that I've received

If this doesn't work...

Plan C is: as you said, call a locksmith.

I realise that this all sounds ridiculous, but I have just had imposed upon me some crippling... I really cannot overemphasise that... crippling expenses and I am trying to economise in every way that I can; I am talking about "how will I feed and house myself" bad. I'm really touched by the generosity of goons here (Goonerosity) and I want to have a go at the "no further cost" solution before I spend even more money that I can't afford to lose. I've had multiple sources tell me how to very simply clone a key within the vehicle, but I have also been told by multiple people that such codes can prevent the process of programming a new key. I know that these code is still there even though my Check Engine light is off, so I want to try and erase this code and use the key into which I've already invested. I will probably fail, but I need to try.

I am also worried that both A and B might be impossible for the same reasons, but I cannot spend even more money running smoke tests and the like.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

InitialDave posted:

don't forget this outside the box option. jam the transponder bit near your ignition, use whatever copy of your plain metal key you want (like the one you had made already). it takes almost no effort, solves your problem, and costs literally nothing if times are so tough

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

owlhawk911 posted:

don't forget this outside the box option. jam the transponder bit near your ignition, use whatever copy of your plain metal key you want (like the one you had made already). it takes almost no effort, solves your problem, and costs literally nothing if times are so tough

I have considered that, but knowing myself I would gently caress it up and go from one functional key to none.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If half the loving POs I've bought cars from can manage it, you can too...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

InitialDave posted:

If half the loving POs I've bought cars from can manage it, you can too...

It would require dismantling my only functional key, and I'm not willing to risk that; I'm in a terrifying financial situation and I'm not willing to take any risks. If someone gave me a transponder and said "just try taping/gluing this to your steering column", I would certainly give it a go.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
See if bunging the entire transponder key in the general vicinity of the ignition sensor ring helps?

I do understand, I've been in a few "you have this many mechanical problems and this many monies, good loving luck" situations myself back in the day.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

i've been in a few "fix a car with no money so your bedroom doesn't get towed" situations and think you're being a big baby. like dude said, you can do it without loving with the key if you want

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

See if bunging the entire transponder key in the general vicinity of the ignition sensor ring helps?

I do understand, I've been in a few "you have this many mechanical problems and this many monies, good loving luck" situations myself back in the day.

If you do that for gently caress’s sake make sure you remove it when you turn the car off. Velcro on the column and a string tied to your ignition key are good for this.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ugh, so maybe dumb question, but the spare key is primarily to be able to unlock the car in the event that you lock your old key in the car right? Why bother with the programming? It doesn't need to start the car, just open the door in case you accidentally lock the original key inside.

I've survived with a single key on beaters, just have to be careful and build some habits to help yourself in case you lock your key in, like cracking the window open before closing the door on a running car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Midjack posted:

If you do that for gently caress’s sake make sure you remove it when you turn the car off. Velcro on the column and a string tied to your ignition key are good for this.
Why, because someone might steal the now-not-electronically-imobilised, 20-year-old shitbox you're driving?

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Bajaha posted:

Ugh, so maybe dumb question, but the spare key is primarily to be able to unlock the car in the event that you lock your old key in the car right? Why bother with the programming? It doesn't need to start the car, just open the door in case you accidentally lock the original key inside.

I've survived with a single key on beaters, just have to be careful and build some habits to help yourself in case you lock your key in, like cracking the window open before closing the door on a running car.

that makes too much sense and involves personal responsibility. that's what i'm doing now but i really like dude's idea about installing the transponder and never having to think about it at all anymore

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Why, because someone might steal the now-not-electronically-imobilised, 20-year-old shitbox you're driving?

If the OP is as broke as he claims he can’t afford to lose this car, no matter how much you want to look down your nose at his car. Meth heads will steal anything, especially a car that’s only secured by a pane of safety glass.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Midjack posted:

If the OP is as broke as he claims he can’t afford to lose this car, no matter how much you want to look down your nose at his car. Meth heads will steal anything, especially a car that’s only secured by a pane of safety glass.
I'm not looking down my nose at it, I have several cars that fit that description, and I wouldn't want to lose any of them.

Plus I've had crims break into a car that wasn't even locked a couple of times.

And try to hotwire one with no engine in it.

So I do understand, sorry if it came across as being a dick about OP's car.

I've had these kind of situations myself and had to do poo poo like run a car with no ignition barrel because that's how I got to work for a week before I could fix it properly.

Edit: re-reading what I wrote, yes, it's the wrong side of glib and comes over rather cuntish.

Sorry OP.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 1, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I would say that anyone who is so wealthy that they can afford to have a car stolen at no great personal inconvenience isn't worth worrying about anyway.

Since there seems to be some confusion, this is a replacement ignition key; I have spare door/boot keys. I lost my wallet some time ago with my spare transponder key in it, which in retrospect is a stupid place to keep it, and being the sort of person that always has a backup plan I'm uncomfortable not having an extra ignition key in case I lose my main set of keys. I put a spare door key in my new wallet and I have a hide-a-key thing as well. If I ever get another functional ignition key, I am probably going to put it on a dongle with my spare apartment key as well and keep it in the trunk of my car for emergencies. Since goons were kind enough to do me a mitzvah, I'm going to take them up on it and see if I can't save some money. I couldn't even afford to go visit my elderly, half-crippled mum for Christmas because of all this. I've had $3000 in expenses dumped on me recently through no fault of my own, and I'm not going to apologise for being tight-fisted when I'm not sure how I am going to survive the months to come.

InitialDave posted:

Edit: re-reading what I wrote, yes, it's the wrong side of glib and comes over rather cuntish.

Sorry OP.

I wasn't bothered, mate, but it's big of you to apologise. The libertarian with the seizure-inducing avatar can go gently caress himself, though.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

so sorry you couldn't afford to travel for christmas, op. nice redtext, i hope you manage to survive the months to come somehow :)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

owlhawk911 posted:

so sorry you couldn't afford to travel for christmas, op. nice redtext, i hope you manage to survive the months to come somehow :)
FYADBYOB is leaking

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

Krakkles posted:

FYADBYOB is leaking

i like cars almost as much as shitposting

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
OBDII Bluetooth unit going out tomorrow, I'll PM you the tracking info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Any update?