Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Welp, looks like zaurg didn't get an unbroken brain for Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Man I wish I had a fridge with enough room for a surplus of ice

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What's a zaurg?

:five:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How the hell did I miss the first page? Oh well, I'm posting in another Zaurg thread to ask:

What do you do that you need so much drat ice?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Considering this is fake zaurg, we should call this iteration zaurg*

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Lambert posted:

za'aurg

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I’m staying the course

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Lambert posted:

zaurghazi

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Can we ban him on 12/31/19 to start the decade clean? A one-week gift feels most appropriate.

:zaurg: :sever:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
What's vile rat gotta do with it?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Guys this is BFC let’s discuss some BFC-related content.

I want to run Chicago marathon next year. I deferred 2019 and already paid my $200 entry for 2020, which unfortunately set my Running budget balance to negative $114, but my Vacation budget balance is $483. How much do I need to save per month to do the Chicago trip for 2 in October? Also want to do a vacation with the kids during spring break.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Let me know when you're in Chicago so I can come by and kick you in the balls when you run by, you garbage-rear end human being.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
You didn't quarantine this guy to his thread?

E: poo poo it's his thread

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

Guys this is BFC let’s discuss

I want

I want

I want

I want

I want

I want

I want

I want

I want

I want

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

zaurg posted:

Hay guys I still dont understand what a budget is

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

You didn't quarantine this guy to his thread?

E: poo poo it's his thread

:lol:

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Guys this is BFC let’s discuss some BFC-related content.

I want to run Chicago marathon next year. I deferred 2019 and already paid my $200 entry for 2020, which unfortunately set my Running budget balance to negative $114, but my Vacation budget balance is $483. How much do I need to save per month to do the Chicago trip for 2 in October? Also want to do a vacation with the kids during spring break.

Telling you to gently caress off forever and taze your balls is peak BFC-related content.

Higgy fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 26, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hoodwinker posted:

Let me know when you're in Chicago so I can come by and kick you in the balls when you run by, you garbage-rear end human being.
:same:

Also so I can point and laugh at you, in person.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
IllegallySober, it’s important to discuss wants so they can be budgeted for and don’t become big surprises like this month has been for me.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Hoodwink and Halffish, just google when the Chicago marathon is. I would definitely appreciate you guys coming out to support.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Banzai 3 posted:

Can we ban him on 12/31/19 to start the decade clean? A one-week gift feels most appropriate.

:zaurg: :sever:

You may get your wish sometime in January if the mods aren’t asleep at the wheel.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

zaurg posted:

IllegallySober, it’s important to discuss wants so they can be budgeted for and don’t become big surprises like this month has been for me.

Please articulate exactly what surprises have happened this month.

Bonus points: identify from your list which items should not have been surprises.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Just redefine want to mean "need" and budget to mean "numerology making even a bitcoiner ashamed," and you should be well on your way to meet your goals.

Oh, you already did? Then redefine goal to mean "taze you are balls." Badabing-badaboom, budget solved. Easy.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

IllegallySober posted:

Please articulate exactly what surprises have happened this month.

Bonus points: identify from your list which items should not have been surprises.

Thank you for asking.

I did not expect to spend around $450 in medical related expenses this month. Kids with the flu, endodontist, optometrist and new glasses, cardiologist, two urgent care visits, medications, etc. I had lab work done today and have a stress test tomorrow.

Also did not expect to spend $1678 on gifts this month. I had only budgeted about $500 so that took me by surprise. Gifts category balance is currently negative $1038 so I have to find a way to get that back in order.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

zaurg posted:

Also did not expect to spend $1678 on gifts this month. I had only budgeted about $500 so that took me by surprise. Gifts category balance is currently negative $1038 so I have to find a way to get that back in order.

:allears:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

zaurg posted:

Thank you for asking.

I did not expect to spend around $450 in medical related expenses this month. Kids with the flu, endodontist, optometrist and new glasses, cardiologist, two urgent care visits, medications, etc. I had lab work done today and have a stress test tomorrow.

Edit: your medical expenses should have come out of your medical budget. Like you should probably have 1k stuck in there depending on your deductible and coverage..

1. You do not deserve to go to the marathon. Period. You have a 1,038 hole to dig out of. (See 2).

1a. How much will it cost you to go to Chicago in October? If you have the money in your budget to pay for a hotel and airfare and registration fees and food. (So let's call it 1k).

1b. What non selfish thing are you going to do since you're spending 1k on a vacation for yourself and not your kids?

2. You still don't get a budget.. if you have $500 in your budget you spend $500 and then you're done that's it you don't go into the negative or drop it all on a CC.

Jesus Christmas, loving just go away.. let your kids run your money.. they'll do a better job I think.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

tater_salad posted:

Edit: your medical expenses should have come out of your medical budget. Like you should probably have 1k stuck in there depending on your deductible and coverage.. .
Especially if you’re 42-ish and your conversations include things like “cardiologist” and “stress test”.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Did I mention that in 2019 I built savings from 36k to 111k? And the amount earmarked specifically in retirement accounts has increased from 26.4k to 59.4k.

I'm still way behind, but I'm catching up fast. 2019 was a good year.

I have to credit BFC with so much help in finally convincing me to sell the house and take retirement savings seriously. I maxed out my 401k and IRA accounts for the first time ever. IRA for 2020 will be maxed out to 6k in January and 401k maximum of $19.5k will be scheduled via $812.50 contributed per paycheck for the 24 pay period year. Thank you!

April
Jul 3, 2006

zaurg posted:

Thank you for asking.

Every time I think "he couldn't be that dumb" you post something like this and confirm that you are indeed that dumb. Unbelievable. Why are you even here? You don't care about your finances, it's painfully obvious that you get some kind of charge out of whoring for attention by posting over and over again "I'm stupider than any other BFC poster and can never be taught hyuck hyuck hyuck".

Just admit that you don't understand budgeting, and never will, and can't be arsed to try, and go back to being an inept fuckwit in real life. You're a waste of pixels here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zaurg posted:

Did I mention that in 2019 I built savings from 36k to 111k?

In a one-time home equity burning maneuver. So it's not at all impressive you dolt.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
A sane person would look at their $500 Christmas budget and, each time they made a gift purchase, ask themselves "how much do I have left that I can spend and how does that track with my gifting goals?" Then, when they got close to $500 they would stop. Period. If they didn't meet their goals they'd start returning gifts and reallocate their gift giving, then keep track for next year and adjust their budget accordingly so they didn't feel that pain again.

Our genius boy zaurg says "I don't like any of that discomfort. They're not rules, I think of them as general guidelines, and luckily we live in a society that encourages excessive consumerism" and spends 300% of his budgeted amount, because he is a moron.

Don't be like zaurg, kids

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Motronic, when I said thank you to BFC I didn't mean to include you.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Meanwhile, DarkHorse calls me *insane* because I didn't adhere to my Christmas budget and bought a few too many gifts.

Don't be like DarkHorse, kids.

April
Jul 3, 2006

zaurg posted:

Meanwhile, DarkHorse calls me *insane* because I didn't adhere to my Christmas budget and bought a few too many gifts.

Don't be like DarkHorse, kids.

You're not insane for overspending on Christmas. You're a loving dumbass for overspending on Christmas and claiming that you still have fun money in your vacation budget.

Hope that helps.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

April posted:

You're not insane for overspending on Christmas. You're a loving dumbass for overspending on Christmas and claiming that you still have fun money in your vacation budget.

Hope that helps.

No he's a moron for patting no himself on the back for trying to play catch-up for being zaraug and 'saving' money gained from equity. All while being unable to adhere to a budget which is 'dont have it don't spend it', coupled by then asking about spending on a vacation..

So you know being zarauug

Is this a robot or text generator? Is Google using us as a test to see if their AI can pass the Turing test?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
That does help, thank you April.

Here are my current budget categories that have balances. I bolded the problem areas. What's the best way to fix this? I don't want to carry over any negative balances to 2020.

415.00 hoa fund
29.40 electric
204.57 grocery/household
28.82 car gas
407.83 car maintenance
7850.00 car replacement
199.47 car insurance
1277.73 home maintenance
-176.52 medical
273.87 clothing
1399.29 kids
-1038.39 gifts
-114.48 running
483.36 vacation
-795.22 fun
33.50 haircuts
142.91 equip replacement
-70.17 home furniture/upgrades

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Lots of people think they're GWM when they sell their house. There was a couple in New Zealand that sold their house and ended up with $200k in the bank. Over a year or two they ended up spending the whole amount on Candy Crush. The question is will you get your finances under control or will you follow them as role models?

zaurg posted:

That does help, thank you April.

Here are my current budget categories that have balances. I bolded the problem areas. What's the best way to fix this? I don't want to carry over any negative balances to 2020.

415.00 hoa fund
29.40 electric
204.57 grocery/household
28.82 car gas
407.83 car maintenance
7850.00 car replacement
199.47 car insurance
1277.73 home maintenance
-176.52 medical
273.87 clothing
1399.29 kids
-1038.39 gifts
-114.48 running
483.36 vacation
-795.22 fun
33.50 haircuts
142.91 equip replacement
-70.17 home furniture/upgrades

There's no way to fix this in the time available unless you become a high end prostitute that does extremely kinky stuff ($500/hour kinky).

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 26, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

zaurg posted:

What's the best way to fix this? I don't want to carry over any negative balances to 2020.
Find $2194.78 lying on the street.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Is this a robot or text generator? Is Google using us as a test to see if their AI can pass the Turing test?

You may be on to something. Perhaps this is AzragBot v2 or 3. There's been enough time for development, and certainly enough training material - not a drat thing said so far couldn't be pulled out of a previous post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Motronic posted:

You may be on to something. Perhaps this is AzragBot v2 or 3. There's been enough time for development, and certainly enough training material - not a drat thing said so far couldn't be pulled out of a previous post.

Somebody should take the zaurg posts and put them into GPT-2. Sure, the generated posts will be repetitive and annoying after 3 posts, but that is still better than meat-zaurg posts.