Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
router’s old lmao!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Maximum Leader posted:

your problem is buying a piece of poo poo tp link op

tp link for your pi-hole!! :xd:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

y'all ready for wifi 6? because ubiquiti is and they want you to pay almost 400 bucks for it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
man fuckin ubiquiti dumped some models on EOL and now we've got nearly a hundred WAPs scattered across like thirty locations that are gonna have to be replaced

fuckers

also can someone post a list of the wifi standards cause last i remember is like 802.11ac and i don't know how many there are between that and "wifi 6"

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

qirex posted:

y'all ready for wifi 6? because ubiquiti is and they want you to pay almost 400 bucks for it

no thank you

edit: not even 10gig lan ports? pathetic

Alzabo fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 27, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

man fuckin ubiquiti dumped some models on EOL and now we've got nearly a hundred WAPs scattered across like thirty locations that are gonna have to be replaced

fuckers

also can someone post a list of the wifi standards cause last i remember is like 802.11ac and i don't know how many there are between that and "wifi 6"

"wifi 6" is 802.11ax

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

"wifi 6" is 802.11ax

thanks and "god bless",

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
looks like wifi is ripe for disruption

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

thanks and "god bless",

:tipshat:

i think all the eol'd ubiquitiy models were the 1st gen 802.11ac ones, from 2014/2015. it's a pain in the rear end, but iirc they changed the hardware platform midway through that generation and so they probably don't care to maintain two different firmware branches for 5-year old hardware

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what is the replacement pico model because our pico was loving awesome until it just stopped working for no good reason other than a lightning strike and now I can’t seem to find the pico

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i dont think the picostation ever got upgraded even to 5GHz N, much less AC. so its been dead for awhile.

i guess you could put an omni antenna on a bullet if you really need omni and airmax

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

:tipshat:

i think all the eol'd ubiquitiy models were the 1st gen 802.11ac ones, from 2014/2015. it's a pain in the rear end, but iirc they changed the hardware platform midway through that generation and so they probably don't care to maintain two different firmware branches for 5-year old hardware

yeah to be fair most of them have been up for a few years now anyway, it's not my money but the company got their money's worth. not thrilled about "surprise, time to go up on manbaskets and scissorlifts!" but w/e that's part of the job.

what i'm really grumpy about is that we just re-deployed a few of the EOL units a couple months ago to a new location, thinking we were saving some money by using up some spares we had. if i'd known this was coming i could have ordered new ones that wouldn't have had to be touched. oh well

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

what is the replacement pico model because our pico was loving awesome until it just stopped working for no good reason other than a lightning strike and now I can’t seem to find the pico

it's not the picostation but we've been getting these lately and they seem to work well at a good price. they handle a bunch of clients without much trouble. don't worry about the "mesh" part they work just fine in non-mesh applications.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah to be fair most of them have been up for a few years now anyway, it's not my money but the company got their money's worth. not thrilled about "surprise, time to go up on manbaskets and scissorlifts!" but w/e that's part of the job.

what i'm really grumpy about is that we just re-deployed a few of the EOL units a couple months ago to a new location, thinking we were saving some money by using up some spares we had. if i'd known this was coming i could have ordered new ones that wouldn't have had to be touched. oh well

lol manbasket

the last time i had to go up in a scissor lift was also the first time i had to go up in a scissor lift. no training and no ppe because gently caress it we need to get this poo poo up now

i nearly had a panic attack

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol yeah i've never had training either. tbf i've never gone up in a scissor lift before, i just assume that'll be part of it at some point. the nice forklift manbasket at the main warehouse has a belt you put on that's chained to the basket, in addition to the gate. the one that gets used out at the yards just has a flimsy little gate that gets chained closed.

we've also got one location where the network rack is up in a loft and only accessible via ladder. as in, you have to do work while on the ladder. oof. hate that place. hoping that location gets remodeled soon so i can push for "move that poo poo down to ground level already, the gently caress"

this job was definitely my first experience in a manbasket though. fortunately it's a good culture here, no yahoos trying to be dickish or anything. my biggest worry so far has been hornets buzzing near one of the WAP enclosures.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

"wifi 6" is 802.11ax

doesn't 11ax also do 60ghz or is that something else entirely?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's a proposal for the 802.11ay spec

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

802.11ay lmao

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
802.11fuckoff

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it's not the picostation but we've been getting these lately and they seem to work well at a good price. they handle a bunch of clients without much trouble. don't worry about the "mesh" part they work just fine in non-mesh applications.

awesome I’ll have a look. thank you!

Raluek posted:

i dont think the picostation ever got upgraded even to 5GHz N, much less AC. so its been dead for awhile.

i guess you could put an omni antenna on a bullet if you really need omni and airmax

not a real need, just that the pico station worked loving awesomely on the farm and had no issues with it at all, no reboots other than firmware, no nothing. it just worked. can’t handle a loving lightning strike though.

so yeah I was thinking, hoping to just swap it out.

the nanostation m5s are still grunting along about 3 or 4 years after I installed them.

poo poo it’s actually longer than that I think.

ubi make good poo poo.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

President Beep posted:

router’s old lmao!

I took a probe for this sort of poo poo back in the day

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

same prob

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i need stebe to do a new router

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

i got bad news for u

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
stebe bval,llmer

matti
Mar 31, 2019

my isp provided router died and i ended up just sticking a sim card into my laptop

idk this is kinda nicer

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Silver Alicorn posted:

stebe bval,llmer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

good lord those things were such loving trash. even by the standards of early 2000s soho routers they loving sucked rear end on a whole other level

iirc they absolutely required an application to do the first run config and a very high percentage of the time it would just fail to find the router, ever

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
my first interaction with slmeone who worked with routers was this:

q: why are routers so hard to make work right??
a: all routers are trash, yoi have to get lucky to get one that works at all. gently caress you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ball.m.er

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
agreed op, it is a major problem but thankfully openwrt addresses lots of it (though not for archers lmbo sorry, it is a bad router)

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

psiox posted:

agreed op, it is a major problem but thankfully openwrt addresses lots of it (though not for archers lmbo sorry, it is a bad router)

whys the sh\sc home networking thread say it’s good then?? have goons lied to me? betrayal

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I know gently caress all about:

- farming

- small talk

- internet stuff

- computers

and yet here I am posting in YOSPOS.

Always trust the advice you get on YOSPOS. We know what's bad. Like your operating system. It's a piece of poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

802.11weed posted:

whys the sh\sc home networking thread say it’s good then?? have goons lied to me? betrayal

lmao if you take advice from a grey forum thread

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Always trust the advice you get on YOSPOS. We know what's bad. Like your operating system. It's a piece of poo poo.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I know gently caress all about :

- farming

- small talk

- internet stuff

- computers

and yet here I am posting in YOSPOS.

we've taught you well, farmer-sama

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
my buffalo i bought seven years ago because it ran dd-wrt (i didn't want to gently caress around with flashing it) is still truckin'.

what are the good brands these days? is buffalo still one of htem?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

802.11weed posted:

is that the thread that was still recommending the wrt-54g well into this decade?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

aha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

is that the thread that was still recommending the wrt-54g well into this decade?

find out next week