Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

Bwee posted:

I am a circadian neuroscientist who studies the brain's biological clock and how it generates circadian (~24 h) rhythms in behavior and physiology. currently i am looking at the neural circuits connecting the clock to hormone production

that's really interesting, would love to hear more this!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goons Are Gifts

Bwee posted:

i am looking at ~ovulation~ right now and mice consistently ovulate at about 3-4PM

hell

same

Finger Prince

Bwee posted:

I am a circadian neuroscientist who studies the brain's biological clock and how it generates circadian (~24 h) rhythms in behavior and physiology. currently i am looking at the neural circuits connecting the clock to hormone production

That's awesome. As an until fairly recently lifetime shift worker, you're doing very important work! Imo if you're going to work night shifts you need to understand exactly how it affects your body and what you can do to mitigate the worst of it. It's funny how easily you can fool your own body, but the damage is still being done.

Bwee

Stoner Sloth posted:

that's really interesting, would love to hear more this!

What would you like to know?

Finger Prince posted:

That's awesome. As an until fairly recently lifetime shift worker, you're doing very important work! Imo if you're going to work night shifts you need to understand exactly how it affects your body and what you can do to mitigate the worst of it. It's funny how easily you can fool your own body, but the damage is still being done.

Absolutely, shift work is really really bad for you. Massively increased risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease. A major cause is that your body clocks (in your liver or heart or kidneys or whatever) are misaligned with one another and your brain clock can't synchronize them with one another because time in the outside world keeps changing

Stoner Sloth

Bwee posted:

Absolutely, shift work is really really bad for you. Massively increased risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease. A major cause is that your body clocks (in your liver or heart or kidneys or whatever) are misaligned with one another and your brain clock can't synchronize them with one another because time in the outside world keeps changing

as much as possible that you feel like explaining in layman's terms as to how it all works/fits together - basically anything that might be of interest would be fascinating!

my interest stems mostly from having life long idiopathic insomnia - get by on about 1 hour of sleep a night on average so learned a little bit about it from many years of attempted treatments (obviously my problem isn't likely circadian but still they had to rule everything else out)

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Finger Prince

Bwee posted:

Yup, I had to stop. There may still be occasions when I have to, but my body was telling me I don't have a choice here. I'm pretty healthy aside from my high BP but that wasn't being helped either. For me, surviving shift work was about controlling light cycles more than anything. Once I could get melatonin, that helped too, and thankfully its really easy to wean off of when you don't need to take them. I read a bunch of stuff when I was starting my career, including a neurochemistry book I signed out of the library that I barely understood, but helped greatly in helping to understand how that all fit in the puzzle. Before I could get melatonin in pill form, diet played a role with tryptophan (5-htp) containing foods combined with carbs to slow the digestion of the amino acid and allow my body time to synthesize its own melatonin.
But the right light exposure is super super important if you're going to try fooling your body into thinking its night when it's not and day when it's not. Phillips do a blue light box which is awesome, and an alarm clock that dims orange and lights up orange to simulate sunrise/sunset that is also really good. They seem to be the only big company that's putting money into research of light therapy.

Goons Are Gifts

I'm really curious as this is your specialty, can you tell us about how some diseases and conditions can influence the circadian rhythm? For example, when clinical depression on a certain level makes you get up hours earlier than usual despite still being tired, I read it's due to the disease influencing your internal circadian rhythm and part of how the structure of the day can decay and fall apart, specifically including biological needs like sleeping during certain hours of the day.

Finger Prince

This is interesting. The interaction of a high sodium diet, high blood pressure, and shift work is like a 3 way chicken and egg thing that I wouldn't expect concrete answers to any time soon, but given that I studiously try to avoid the first to mitigate the second that's partially a result of the third, well anyway its pretty interesting.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-sodium-biological-clock-mice.html

Finger Prince

It just says sodium actives the part of the brain that controls the circadian rhythm at a time of day it isn't scheduled to be active, but it doesn't say whether active means time to go to sleep or time to be awake? Or time to be in whatever mode the light is telling us?

E- skimming the abstract, looks like it triggers physiological changes associated with preparation for sleep.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao

owlhawk911 posted:

this is called "apathy"

no. sorry for the :latepost:

Apathy is a completely different feeling, about physically caring, whereas in this state I might care a lot but it's like my brain doesn't have access to the muscles. Like the part of me that plugs intent into the "doing things" part of me has unplugged