Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JAMOOOL posted:

this movie is like the scene at the end of every Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where all the characters are yelling at each other but for 2
Yeah it loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Watched this for the first time last night and thought it was great. I was expecting Howard to get shot at the end if not by the Lundgren-esque muscle then by one of the twenty other people he pissed off. I got the impression that if Howard didn't get murdered then it would inevitably happen eventually. A great portrayal of addiction and self destruction. The auction was particularly heart breaking since it seemed like Judd Hirsch was the only adult left who actually liked Howard and seeing him get screwed over was rough.

I don't know why but the reveal that Arno was his brother in law got a big laugh out of me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Flying Zamboni posted:

Watched this for the first time last night and thought it was great. I was expecting Howard to get shot at the end if not by the Lundgren-esque muscle then by one of the twenty other people he pissed off. I got the impression that if Howard didn't get murdered then it would inevitably happen eventually. A great portrayal of addiction and self destruction. The auction was particularly heart breaking since it seemed like Judd Hirsch was the only adult left who actually liked Howard and seeing him get screwed over was rough.

I don't know why but the reveal that Arno was his brother in law got a big laugh out of me.

That reveal is really important, as is the scene where the pawn shop owner calls him "bubbe". Howard isn't really in any danger, because he carefully only borrows from his friends and family who are never going to gently caress him up. When Arno hires the goons to mess with him, he clearly never expects it to go as far as it does, and he's relieved when Howard wins the bet and perfectly willing to let it go. In the end the guy who kills him isn't even someone he owes money to.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Oh definitely, you can tell earlier too that something is up when there's a brief shot of Arno looking very conflicted during the trunk scenario. I just assumed he was going to push his luck too far with the wrong person the whole movie, not even with the gambling but with his general behavior. It just seems like an inevitable thing for that kind of guy.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I saw this last night. I thought it was really good, but to say that I enjoyed it wouldn't really be accurate. It was extremely uncomfortable and anxiety inducing. I kept putting my hands over my face and groaning at what Howie was doing.

The scene where KG finalllllly brought back the opal and got stuck between the double doors, HOLY poo poo. I thought it was the funniest scene in the movie, but also so tense and anxiety inducing. I was as panicked as Howard was for him to get the door open and finally get the opal back.

Great film, glad I saw it, but not really the kind of movie I'm going to want to re-watch, at least not for a loooooong time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I have anxiety issues, and kind of wish I'd taken a Xanax before watching this movie. Holy poo poo was that stressful. I'm amazed at how tense I felt about what was going to happen to this guy I didn't even like.

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The more I think about the movie, the more I think that the ending is actually a happy ending for Sandler's character.

Yeah this was my takeaway too. He had some good things going for him, but he was never going to get out of his own way enough to enjoy them, so this was the peak of what was left of his life. That may just be my relief at getting some catharsis out of the climax though--I wasn't hoping for him to die or anything, but it was certainly a conclusive finish.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So against all my inclinations, I loved this movie. I watched it on edibles and found it relaxing up until the end.

I watched Bad Lieutenant afterward (just searched for other gritty NY crime films and chose one I hadn't seen) and wow. It's obvious that Uncut Gems owes a lot to Bad Lieutenant.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
This is one of the best movies I've seen in the past 5 years in which I have 0% desire at this time to rewatch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm kinda thinking about rewatching Uncut Gems

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I rewatched it over the weekend. Some of the tension is lost knowing how things unfold, but the scenes with his family have perhaps even more of a sense of doom hanging over them, particularly when you see how little his kids will be able to understand of their father and the various other parts of his life that will be left hanging. So not quite as intense on the second trip, but still very compelling and it's perhaps easier to appreciate just how good Adam Sandler, Julia Fox, Eric Bogosian, etc. are in it. And KG, of course.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 10, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I rewatched Uncut Gems on a whim yesterday and found it to be much more enjoyable, partly because its an oddly paced film and knowing the general layout going in made it more digestible and partly because i didn't use subtitles before which made it much harder to follow. The dialogue is so overbearing and kinda relentless in a way that mirrors how real people speak, its probably intentional but it made the movie harder to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
The movie definitely stands up to a second viewing. I watched it for a second time with my wife, and, while a lot of the tension is gone, because I wasnt curled up into a ball I was a bit freer to soak up the imagery and the dialogue. Its a really hypnotic and intoxicating movie, I think it was my favorite movie of 2020.

I also just listened to the Chapo episode with the Safdies which got me all hyped for a third viewing. Its an interesting episode worth a listen just to hear the Safdie's talk about how they made their way to casting Kevin Garnett and the stories behind the actors playing those incidental roles, but they ended the ep with l'Amour Toujours which I think might be the most cathartic credit music in any film, and is the perfect reflection of Howie and Julia's tawdriness, chintz and wholesome earnestness, that bloody balearic tune from Ibiffffa on its own has had me thinking about the movie all day. What a genius choice.